Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sailing Pro Shop

At home weather systems

The Sailing Anarchy crowd tends to be a little more hard core than anywhere else we have found on the web for Sailing topics so we woud like your feedback on the following please:

Weather is obviously one of the most important topics to understand if you hope to do well in the sport of sailing. That being said, how many of you own your own weather station and what kind? More to the point: How many of you have been thinking about buying a weather system now that the good ones have come down in price? (For your home)

We are thinking about picking up this product and wonder what the demand from sailors really is.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

IMHO- Its hard to justify the investment when so many resources are avaiable for free on the internet. In addition, those resouces are often more relevant to the a particular sailing venue. At least thats what I use them for in prepping for an event.

Guest Amalfi

I'd love to have one at my house, just for the geek factor. But here in Seattle, we are lucky to have online weather info from places near where all the racing is so, the best info comes from them. Especially when I live miles from the water :(

But if I had my drother's I like the stuff I've seen from Davis instruments, and the Oregan Scientific stuff look nice for the $.

What were you thinking?

Cheers

Mark,

I'm an amatuer aspiring to be better and definately realize the impacts of local weather knowledge or pre-race forecasting. I agree with the post above that allot of the info is free on the net and probably better than what a station on my house would provide even if it was free (i.e bouy data). Plus, I would think that a station would require knowing even more about interpreting than what I get from the net.

However, my biggest complaint is that I have to surf in the nature of 10 sites to get what I really want. NOAA txt forecast, bouy data, wind forcasts, airport wind forecasts that provide magnetic degree and speed for higher altitudes (hear that higher alt. shifts are indicative of shifts that will happen at the surface.

I like what Bill has done at Commanders Weather but that's way outta my league as his market target is campaigning professionals.

His examples of race day outlook, daily race forecast package, offshore race forecast package are exactly what I want for the NOOD, JFest, Newport-Ensenada etc but I perceive their pricing to be outrageous and worth the time it takes me to surf and guess.

Come up with something comparable for the little guys and I think you'll hit the nail on the head. I've seen your work, you got it in ya.

The idea is that you will be able to take the knowledge you have gained by watching remote sites on the Internet, do the time distance evaluations or frontal passages etc, watch your own data and see how close you come to the shifts, velocities and for those who are truly wx geeks do the three, four, and five day analysis on the Internet and then compile that against real time, real world results.

Thanks for the notes...they are already helpful.

Davis seems to have good stuff but there are a few products that are a little more techno weenie and we are deciding which brand to carry or do we carry both....

Who would have thought in 1979 that the Weather would have it's own 24 hour channel and that it's ratings would actually rival ESPN 2 for people watching.

I'm a bit of a Wx geek and even I am surprised.

Mark, an options that would get my attention is a system designed around my PC. I don't need a base station. What I need is an integrated set of (preferably wireless) recording instruments that can pass data to weather software sitting on my PC thru a serial or USB port. Ideally there is a buffer of some sort to record the data if my PC is off that I can download from when I turn my PC on. If you can provide that sort of usability for a reasonable price I will buy one.

Have you looked at the La Crosse stuff too?

I have a direct broadcast antenna on my roof that receives the signal from Tiros and EOS. It costs a pretty penny, but it's worth it.

Guest European

What's EOS and Tiros?

Weather stations are definately interesting, however many people rarely have "clean, undisturbed" air at home.

What are the alternatives and prices?