Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest stx

J 100 - two keels!?

Guest stx

Okay say J boats comes tp their sense and slaps a pole onto the J 100 - they are still offering the boat with 2 keels. same as the J109! have to say J boats have built a hell of a brand but when it comes to promoting their own 1D classes they leave a lot to be desired.

CHeck out the 105 fleet. It's split between a huge national fleet and a big Annapolis fleet that is FINAL realizing that they have boats that are worth less because of a short term marketing move early in the evolution of the class. Now J boats is doing the same thing with the 109 and it looks like the 100. Why not pick one keel, say 5 feet and sell one boat. Don't understand why they would continue to make the same mistake over and over again.

For more boneheaded moves check out the status of their 1d 109 fleet. They can't agree on keels, sails etc. to get their act together and sail 1 design. Or check out the 120 fleet - same thing. 100 different varations of the same boat ruin what could be a great class.

What's it to you? Obviously not much, since you chose to use third person plural pronouns.

If you don't like the boat, don't buy it!

Just disappointed with J boats that's all.

I really wish J boats would do their own version of the Farr 36. Sure it wouldn't have as much carbon but I'm sure it would be just as much fun to sail and I bet that class would really take off. Think about it a bare bones 35' race with no interior to take care off and the ability to get on the water and race for just over 100K. I think it is possible, wish J boats would do it.

They had that boat; actually, they made two flavors: J/90 and J/125. Although Trevor B and some others enjoy the 90, it sold about as briskly as the Farr 36.

And your $100K price target is about half of what a 36 goes for.

We here on this forum love the crazed sportsboats. They just don't sell, for whatever reason, with few exceptions like the melges 24.

Lastly, I don't think they're really conceiving of this J/100 as a race boat. That description was for a casual racer. If you want a race boat, why not go with the 105?

This thing should have been called a "J/10" - the 32, 42 and 46 are conventional pole cruisers; the 80, 105, 109, 120, 133 and 145 are sprit boats with varying stopping points on the race-cruise continuum.

Just as a point of information in the J Boats Line, if it has a metric number, J80, J105 J109 J120 and such they are supposed to be sprit boats, when the number matches the length, J22, J24,J29,J30,J35 and so on then they are conventionaly rigged.

How about J100/32 ? And offer it with your choice of standard rig or tall rig, aluminum spars or carbon, sprit or conventional, deep keel, shoal keel, and wing keel, and maybe standard rudder or deeper eliptical rudder. Oh, and wheel or tiller. But to keep it one design the head and cushions are required equipment.

Just kidding. Really.