Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt L

Need a pic of an IOR yacht 'pushing water'!

I need a good picture of a displacement yacht squatting 'at speed' in its own wave trough on otherwise flat water... for a report, can anyone help?! Was thinking IOR most likely, something with short overhangs.....

I need a good picture of a displacement yacht squatting 'at speed' in its own wave trough on otherwise flat water... for a report, can anyone help?! Was thinking IOR most likely, something with short overhangs.....

Google: "Six Knot shitbox"

Google: "Six Knot shitbox"

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...G=Google+Search

53421246.Fullout.jpg

Like this but a yacht....Last time I sailed an IOR boat in any wind it felt like this anyway!

Want to show squatting rather than 'surfing' or planning.

How about some of these? Ballard Cup 2008 Several IOR boats in 25-40 kts of breeze during a beer can race I RC'd for last year...

Here are a few more of me driving a sistership of mine at 'round the county last year, think this was in 30-35kts of breeze and we were definitely pushing some water around at that point:

Around the County on Seeker

first time I sailed a j-24 in 20kts I looked back and holly shit, the stern wave was at least 2m high! :o

Or another (Sean Trew photo)

post-12173-1240873790_thumb.jpg

But I think SOS nailed it with those shots of Aleta digging a trench.

There used to be one on here many years back in B&W of an IOR yacht, shot from the stern with a wake that made a 50' sportfisherman's wake look tiny.

Find a picture of a late 80's vintage Beneteau 51 or Swan 59. Both designs were by Frers and both were quite capable of falling into their own hole.

Or there is a shot of Rothmans from years back in full on dive mode.

Affectionately known as "digging a trench you could drop a skyscraper in".

One from my archives, circa 1981...

Dubois IOR 2 Tonner "Police Car"

post-449-1240878727_thumb.jpg

I believe this will meet your needs...

caprice.jpg

caprice.jpg

I think you will find that "Crap Piece of Huon" pre-dates IOR by some years and was designed to the previous RORC rule.

caprice.jpg

Dang, Helly Hansons, roller reefing, boom vang to the rail, and you can reach out and slap the quarter wave.

That's the ticket.

no, not IOR you need a metre boat. There are pics here somewhere, I think the 6m is the best. The pics show a perfect wave starting at the front and ending at the back.

Otherwise try googling the J class boats, these have the same characteristics - ie they'll NEVER go faster than their waterline length will allow!

Edit: like here http://www.pbase.com/6mr/inbox but there aren't any real big waves but these boats definitely generate them

Dang, Helly Hansons, roller reefing, boom vang to the rail, and you can reach out and slap the quarter wave.

That's the ticket.

Caprice of Huon, 1965 Admirals Cup. From the RORC site.

margrint3.jpg

Margaret Rintoul III just south of Maria Island 1980. Richard Bennett pic.

margrint3.jpg

Great photo! - ta for sharing.

Is Kelly Slater inside one of those tubes? ;)

margrint3.jpg

THATS the photo I was thinking of...

wouldn't want to be steering that for too long, the nerves wouldn't cope...

There was a great shot I had (& may still have) of a boat I think was called "French Kiss" sailing down wind in the Solent, during an Admiral's Cup in the mid 80's... It was from one of the better sailing calendars of the era.

They were flying the main, spinnaker and blooper (orange & yellow, I think) and the shot was take from inside the quarter wave a little ways back back along the same angle. While there was a good chop going it didn't change the sense of power and speed you got from the shot... It was _amazing_ how much of the boat you could see underneath the waterline because the bow and stern wakes were huge.

I tried Googling it but without success. When I get home (in 2 weeks!) I'll see if I can't dig it up and bring it back to life with a post here.

Cheers,

Sparx

margrint3.jpg

What he said!

I can feel the bilge water sloshing just sitting here.

Nice find Evo.

margrint3.jpg

What he said!

I can feel the bilge water sloshing just sitting here.

Nice find Evo.

yeah...ya just know with the pole a little forward and kite strapped like that she was just turning up a bit through the port roll...probably aimed 30 degrees more east during the starboard one a few seconds later. yikes

"Ya got her Frizzle?"

"Yeah mate. No worries....any colour back in yer knuckles yet Stan??"

margrint3.jpg

Crew's thinking: Please, lord, lose it to the right

Driver's thinking: How long is 30 minutes?

Owner's thinking: Please, lord, just the spinnaker....I can afford a spinnaker...

Tactician's thinking: This will look good on my resume!

margrint3.jpg

Probably the best photo of an offshore yacht ever taken in Australia. Absolute classic. Way better than the Wild Thing shot- WT was built to plane, Rags / MR2 certainly wasn't!

Atalanta, while not an IOR boat, preferres to dig a trench instead of a hole!!

RTC1111-1206021.jpg

RTC1111-1206024-1.jpg

Cant push much more water than this...

post-404-1240898543_thumb.png

Ooooo.... that is a distressing image. What yacht?

isn't that Antonys old boat...rammed by a whale?

margrint3.jpg

Owner's thinking: Please, lord, just the spinnaker....I can afford a spinnaker...

kite trimmer's trimmer's thinking: maybe I should just cleat this off & let him drive around it.

driver's thinking: I wish that c*nt would just cleat that f*cking sheet and let me drive around it.

Mureadrittas, hit by a whale.

Ouch! Poor whale.

Which race? SYD/Southport? Mooloolaba of past?

Probably the best photo of an offshore yacht ever taken in Australia. Absolute classic. Way better than the Wild Thing shot- WT was built to plane, Rags / MR2 certainly wasn't!

Yep, no shortage of boat under the water :unsure: IRC DLR is 281

ragamuffin1.jpg

another cool shot. Atalanta at round the county 2007

Reduced 78%

You beet me to it. I was on Atalanta that day. I think we were doing about 15-16kts at that point. She was fully loaded up.

margrint3.jpg

kite trimmer's trimmer's thinking: maybe I should just cleat this off & let him drive around under it.

driver's thinking: I wish that c*nt would just cleat that f*cking sheet and let me drive around under it.

Fixed.

Truly cool shot.

Great pic! I was aboard NJ (Hi Tripp Gal!) and took my pic's the same day while they were passing us just before the finsh line.

Atalanta's up there with Mr Perry's "Meridian" on my short list of alltime favorite race boat's

Reduced 78%

You beet me to it. I was on Atalanta that day. I think we were doing about 15-16kts at that point. She was fully loaded up.

That is way, way beyond loaded up. Somewhere between truly scary and tighten your sphincter.

Where were these images when the other thread was asking about "hull speed"?

margrint3.jpg

:0 just :0

Reduced 78%

That was a big day! I was on neptune's car. We hit our top speed with the boat 24.7 kts.

The hole Atalanta was digging that day is still out there somewhere...

ATALANTA by Tripp Sr. was a CCA design, 80,000 lbs. with 40,000 lbs of lead. It originally had a kick up transom hung rudder in addition to another rudder hung off the back of the keel. Obviosly the keel hung rudder did not work so in order to avoid the movable appendage factor they welded it shut and welded the outboard rudder in the down position. Later I designed a new outboard rudder for ATALANTA. An interesting design feature of many of the old Tripp boats was the big radius on the stem. I think Brit Chance and Bill Lapworth used this detail also. It is sure a contrast to the knife sharp entries of today.

Our first Swifstsure in ATALANTA was fully catered and I was the "cook" meaning I had to heat the food the caterer packed for us. We rounded the mark and headed home in time for me to get dinner going. One of our competitors still beating out to the mark said "I could see the lights streaming thru those hull ports and imagined you all sitting down at the big table to a marvelous for course meal. Not quite.

No one had thought to bring cups, plates or utensils of any type. Oh we had food, just nothing to eat it with or in or on.

We did manage to scroung up a half dozen Dixy cups and a few plastic forks. I served chicken breasts in recycled Dixy cups, the breasts sticking out of the top of the cup held fast by a bed of rice, and we took turns with the forks. Some of us just resported to eating with our sea knives. It tasted good. We had fun. Fine dining it was not.

ATALANTA is a true classic.

Then there's the story of John Buchan's moose meat ( Hey! free meat) spagetti sauce he left on the boat unrefrigerated for five days before the Swiftsure.

Here's a pic of Pen Duick VI from the front page last October. Copywrighted I suspect.

pen%20duick.jpg

Or this kinda hole???

must be lean'n her over to clean that bottom! :P :P

JE pistons in the Atomic 4

Or this kinda hole???

Must have been the Jesel belt drive. Hopefully he was wearing his Simpson harness when she hit the beach.

Or this kinda hole???

Must have been the Jesel belt drive. Hopefully he was wearing his Simpson harness when she hit the beach.

Ya think he jumped off after crashing and ran the last 50 yards to the finish/bar? :blink:

I think that guy is thinking about taking the sail cover of, raising the main and sailing her off the beach! :P

margrint3.jpg

Didn't they trace the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami back to this particular sail?

margrint3.jpg

kite trimmer's trimmer's thinking: maybe I should just cleat this off & let him drive around it.

driver's thinking: I wish that c*nt would just cleat that f*cking sheet and let me drive around it.

My favorite pic of the bunch! As both a trimmer and driver, I love the commentary. Keep the boat under the sail!

Here's a pic of Pen Duick VI from the front page last October. Copywrighted I suspect.

pen%20duick.jpg

How's the wet weather gear, certainly come a long way over the years.

Hitchiker.jpg

the joys of IOR all courtesy of Mr. Richard Bennett...Hitchiker

Bluebottle.jpg

Bluebottle

Two shot sequence showing when it all goes wrong...British Southern Cross Cup Team Indulgence with their designer Mr Dubois at the helm showing us how it's done first one way....

Indulgence.jpg

then the other as Mr Girdis and his Marloo crew chuckle...

IndulgenceandMarloo.jpg

Crew member reortedly asked politely that they don't start the engine while he was standing on the propellor

Challenge III

ChallengeIII.jpg

Condor

Condor.jpg

Old pic of Kialoa with everything set.

retro-kialoa.jpg

is that not windward passage in front?????????????

post-24831-1241400139_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Evo (and others) have posted some magic shots of what I think you are after, like classic bow wave and quarter wave shots showing "hull speed". This was taken on last Saturday of a Cole 43 Lady Jane racing at Bate Bay, Cronulla. (NSW Oz). (Photo Credit to Getton in Gooyong.)

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Jim B)

Hey Jim...isn't that Tim and Kylie Macs boat?

We were watching you mob from a table at Zimzalas....bloody great day on the Bay by the looks. Sure looked nice from Sou Cron with a nice Margaret River Sav Blanc. (Way better than idiotsville on the Harbour yesterday)

Eddie gets the best mark rounding prize...hehe

Hi Evo,

I just tried to look them up on the CSC website but am not sure, ASFAIK this is the first race she has been in and I have yet to meet them. I race with the RM sailing Div and we are in Rhumb Line, the Adams 13. Looking at the elapsed time for Lady Jane I recken she is going to be well up there in the leaders for the Winter Series. We got it last year and I was told by Dennis to forget about doing it again this year! Eddie looked good........? I dunno if he gets on this forum, I better watch myself. Good on you with the white, yeah we are blessed down here, no commercial traffic and not too many nutz...

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Evo,

I just tried to look them up on the CSC website but am not sure, ASFAIK this is the first race she has been in and I have yet to meet them. I race with the RM sailing Div and we are in Rhumb Line, the Adams 13. Looking at the elapsed time for Lady Jane I recken she is going to be well up there in the leaders for the Winter Series. We got it last year and I was told by Dennis to forget about doing it again this year! Eddie looked good........? I dunno if he gets on this forum, I better watch myself. Good on you with the white, yeah we are blessed down here, no commercial traffic and not too many nutz...

Cheers,

Jim

I think Tim will get a kick out of that picture Jim....I know he reads these forums but dunno if he posts....I'll tease Eddie via his wife later today...hehe

Yesterday and the fun we watched you fellas having Saturday convinced me that going to the tin shed every couple of weeks is the better answer for winter sailing this year. Some of the "I'm on a big boat" morons racing yesterday were mind numbing. The loud mouthed idiot on Playstation who needs to read a rule book takes the cake. Bloody dangerous AND stoooopid. They only come out in Winter. sigh