Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

What Is It?

Something for you smart asses. First smart ass wins a short sleeve Code Zero shirt from Camet. Have at it.

what_is_it_5_8_big.jpg

Something for you smart asses. First smart ass wins a short sleeve Code Zero shirt from Camet. Have at it.

Formula 15? With a reefed main.

It hugh welbournes DSS sports boat, the DSS 25. features there patented sliding foil on the waterline.

I can say with absolute certainty that this is the new flagship from Macgregor, the Mac 29X

Unlike the OD mac 26, this is designed to be fast on IRC, to prove we have been paying attention to our customer base, and to what the market is looking for.

Yours,

Mr MacGregor.

PS Oh and BTW, she will rate 1.020 on IRC so should be very competitive.

PPS we still need to go firm on prices and options, but we will be building a "recession version" in recycled plastic, with a lifting cabin top, so that you can also live-aboard. This version, whic we are calling the HOBO, will rate .998 or so

PPPS and no, I don't have any tits so I can't get them out!

Who puts a reef in a skiff main?

man overboard!....reef or go back...hmmm...well...we are in front...and he can swim...fuck him, put that reef in!

An 18 minute timeframe to the winning response. Nice.

Mex

I will take a stab at it and say it is an International 10 sq metre canoe. There are no trap wires cause a hiking plank is used.

Cheers

that horizontal lifting foil is so cool - some excitement when it comes out of water - but still....

edit - could be a seriously good kelp harvester....

It hugh welbournes DSS sports boat, the DSS 25. features there patented sliding foil on the waterline.

Yeah it's that one.

that horizontal lifting foil is so cool - some excitement when it comes out of water - but still....

What about the poor old dolphins who want to have a quick ride on the pressure wave off the bow - bonk!

What about the poor old dolphins who want to have a quick ride on the pressure wave off the bow - bonk!

:lol:

I am with the Mac.29X. They have decided to separate the sailboat from the motor boat. you cant see in the pic. but the motor boat is a short distance astern following. If you buy the sailboat, you get the motor free..

WD

From the photo, at first it looked smaller like the stealth.

It's an overweight bucket of shit! <_< - ya can tell that by the amount of water it's throwing around. A real dinghy with that much sail would be sailing on top of the water rather than carving a furrow through it like this!

aaaahhhh....these threads

right answer was ages ago.....but people keep on guessing

enough to drive you insane

What made you come this far?

This passed on by a non-anarchist friend: "It looks like the Melges 32 Bad Fish at day break going up the back side of South Bass Isle during the 2008 Mills race...no one left on board"

Its a sailboat on a broad reach in some chop, and appears to be moving relatively quick, but without any crew!!! Maybe radio controled?? Cuts back on the amount of beer required when you get back to the dock...

How many times?. One answer is the DSS 25 production, but I reckon it's the DSS 27 test boat. it's one of the two and no skiffs are involved. Mind you, after reading some of the replies,,,, half of you wouldn't know a sailing skiff from a fucking Bass boat even if it hit you between your barn doors.

It is the prototype DSS 27. The photo is on their web site. Looks fun. I'd like to give it a spin.

It's the demostrator from DSS (Dynamic Stability Systems). It's basically the prototype of their 25 sportboat concept... Pretty amazing little boat, designed by Hugh Wellbourne...

You see, we do remember stuff you wrote about Ed..... Hopefully they'll be available for us all to play with soon.....

It's the US military's latest seagoing unmanned predator drone... used for sniping terrorists who go on beach vacations.

BTW - I believe the request was for smart assed answers... not correct ones.

what ? surely a seagoing predator drone would be employed in an anti-piracy role rather than engaging land based targets ?

E. Bertarelli's newest boat-- $500k, 10-foot R/C boat. Only way he can find crew to sail.

It's an overweight bucket of shit! <_< - ya can tell that by the amount of water it's throwing around. A real dinghy with that much sail would be sailing on top of the water rather than carving a furrow through it like this!

Holy shit... another 'WTF' post from a noob! Have you ever sailed a dinghy with that much sail area at speed???

Its a sailboat on a broad reach in some chop, and appears to be moving relatively quick, but without any crew!!! Maybe radio controled?? Cuts back on the amount of beer required when you get back to the dock...

OK , now I now it's a noob/troll conspiracy or something...

An RS 700?

Please, tell me it isn't so.... what is going on here!? Attacked of the asshat-fucktard-landt breathed noobs/trolls.

An RS 700?

Please, tell me it isn't so.... what is going on here!? Attacked of the asshat-fucktard-landt breathed noobs/trolls.

Yeah, should be sort of punishment for these idiots that have no freaking idea and post ridiculous answers to this "What Is It" threads. Answered early in the posts, video provided to confirm, and people post complete stupid answers to boats it can't possibly be.

An RS 700?

Yeah, should be sort of punishment for these idiots that have no freaking idea and post ridiculous answers to this "What Is It" threads. Answered early in the posts, video provided to confirm, and people post complete stupid answers to boats it can't possibly be.

Should the same punishment be reserved for those that missed the part about contest being for smart asses and looking for the best smartass answer?

Besides everybody knows it's the new carbon Opti sportboat... known around these parts as the Optimist Prime.

What's it rate?

Should the same punishment be reserved for those that missed the part about contest being for smart asses and looking for the best smartass answer?

NO! That's how 'What is it' is always framed.

DSS 25 Here's the video:

Sure it's not the DSS 27 Prototype???. Can't see any sail numbers if it's a production boat. And dat dem photo is definitely Spain where they tested it.

http://www.dynamicstabilitysystems.com/#/multimedia/

That's pretty interesting, the slide show on the site referencing retrofitting shows big numbers on big boats, not much for the small boat though. The claim about providing stability to prevent a boat on its wrong side during an uncontrolled gybe was pretty tall. I couldn't find much of a discussion about why this is so. From my viewpoint where the boat broaches to windward, the lift would have to be rather substantial to prevent this as there is so much force in the aft part of the boat to change at this point.

After losing her crew to a broaching wave, "Desiree" continued on with the race to cross the finish line in first place.. Sadly, she was disqualified for not competing with a lot of dead weight.

I can say with absolute certainty that this is the new flagship from Macgregor, the Mac 29X

Unlike the OD mac 26, this is designed to be fast on IRC, to prove we have been paying attention to our customer base, and to what the market is looking for.

Yours,

Mr MacGregor.

PS Oh and BTW, she will rate 1.020 on IRC so should be very competitive.

PPS we still need to go firm on prices and options, but we will be building a "recession version" in recycled plastic, with a lifting cabin top, so that you can also live-aboard. This version, whic we are calling the HOBO, will rate .998 or so

PPPS and no, I don't have any tits so I can't get them out!

I think the MacGregor should be called homo instead so you can stand with your head above the pop top while gettin smoked. PHRF 4032 IRC who cares!

I don't care if the right answer has already been given, I just want to have the last word. Suckers.

Don't care what it is. Here's the caption:

"Yeehaw, I can plane now that fatass has fallen off."

You see, we do remember stuff you wrote about Ed..... Hopefully they'll be available for us all to play with soon.....

Fuck off, Newb!

I HAVE NO TIME FOR STUPID PEOPLE AND THERE THEIR STUPID LOUSY FUCKING HATS SPELLING !!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Fixed. ;):P

An RS 700?

Besides everybody knows it's the new carbon Opti sportboat... known around these parts as the Optimist Prime.

Don't mind him... he's Moth foiler.

An RS 700?

Absolutely correct, what the fuck is all I can say. Where do you get off thinking this is a dinghy?!?!

Smartass? Here goes....

A new 14 Kt. shitbox! Come on down!

One more Smartass entry...

DSS 25, Crewless Sailer. Definately Sail (her) Self

Proposed Ad copy:

Tired of rounding up crew? Gettin up early to get to the club?

Screw that. The new DSS 25 sails so well she will sail herself (and finish better than you ever have!) while you get some much-needed beauty rest. Save on rum and feedin' the non-existant crew.

Crew?? The DSS "...don' need no steenkeen crew."

OK! Send the apparel already.

hey i got the answer right first, where's my t-shirt!!

Isn't this the Farr something-or-other launched in the 1970's???

One person, great hull....lots 'o' fun....???

Was this boat not just in a front page release for a Farr info story?

Maybe I am crazy....it has been prefaced before.

Can you put a crew member out on the windward foil? :D

it is not a windward foil, it is a leward foil

It's simple (for all you who graduated 3rd grade, that is...)

Instead of adding weight on the high side to pull that side down (keel, keel bulb, canting keel, flying an ama etc....) you add lift on the low side to lift that side up.

By adding lift rather than weight you add lightness, not mass. That makes the whole boat lighter, which means less loads on the hull. And so the structure gets lighter and simpler because there's less dangling off it (or canting off it). And the whole package gets faster. And cheaper.

Interesting spiral benefits.

The DSS 27 Test boat is my thought as well.

"Wow! a 35' hot rod that I can control from my 'Lazy-Boy' at home and NOT HAVE TO GET MY ASS WET!"

Are you saying it slides back and forth?

What is this, then?

post-635-1241926373_thumb.png

What is this, then?

Prob them trying to see how the boat reacts when not on the leeward side.

Not sure of the technical name...but I think it's the Farr 3-something or other....built in the late 70's....supposed to be a one person boat??

I think I just read about it in one of the SA threads a few weeks ago.

No?

What is this, then?

I am not totally convinced that the boat would be faster with the foil to leeward... Seems draggy to me.

What is this, then?

I am not totally convinced that the boat would be faster with the foil to leeward... Seems draggy to me.

yer well if u think that there would be more drag from a horizontal fin then think about the drag you would get if u added a ballasted horizontal fin.

there is a real improvement in performance when used, it allows you to get rid of about 2-3 crew members when in use, and thus decreases the overall weight of the boat

What is this, then?

please check out this site and it will answer ALL your questions. it does work but with strange new technolgy people will be sceptical until the have confidence in the system. my understanding is that the leward foil adds lift and reduces the "weight" of the boat in the water. i know for a fact it makes it super smooth downhill and will give the crew heaps more confidence to push harder, therefore go faster. And if it "seems draggy" then the dagger boards on canting yacht would "seem draggy" as well. If it too draggy then just crank it up to windward.

http://www.dynamicstabilitysystems.com/#/profile

To me this is very different from both foiler foils and canter daggerboards. When you have a horizontal foil that is essentially at the surface, it behaves differently from the other things. Sure, there is a benefit, but is it more than the cost? That is my question.

To me this is very different from both foiler foils and canter daggerboards. When you have a horizontal foil that is essentially at the surface, it behaves differently from the other things. Sure, there is a benefit, but is it more than the cost? That is my question.

I think that apart from the side benefits of a bit of 3-axis damping (pitch, roll & yaw) and providing dynamic amounts of RM (the faster the boat goes, the more lift you get from the foil), the biggest benefit is that you shed a whole bunch of weight and a lot of complexity compared to a canter. Tiny keel bulb means lighter keel means less structure to support it etc... I'd be surprised if a DSS 50-footer wasn't much more than half the all up weight of a similar canter.

As regards the "extra foil in the water is draggy" thought, it's interesting to compare numbers of foils in the water to a canter - same in fact. And I'd have thought that a DSS horizontal foil is in the same drag regime as a canting keel strut sticking out the other side with the boat heeled - both close to the water surface. In any event, Hugh is a pretty smart aerohydrodynamicist - I sometimes refer to him as the "master of appendageometry".

I want one - perhaps a 50' daysailer? Mmmm...

I had a brief chat to James Boyd (editor of the Daily Sail) about the DSS demo boat at the Petit Bateau conference. He sailed on it sometime last year, and thought that it was "fantastic".

I'm interested in building a Mini with one. Yeah, there are issues with the max 3 metre beam rule, but I think that they could be worked around. It's just a shame that the credit crunch has buggered up my line of work completely...

But I do agree with what P_Wop says. "Simplify and add lightness" is a very good maxim.

I think that apart from the side benefits of a bit of 3-axis damping (pitch, roll & yaw) and providing dynamic amounts of RM (the faster the boat goes, the more lift you get from the foil), the biggest benefit is that you shed a whole bunch of weight and a lot of complexity compared to a canter. Tiny keel bulb means lighter keel means less structure to support it etc... I'd be surprised if a DSS 50-footer wasn't much more than half the all up weight of a similar canter.

As regards the "extra foil in the water is draggy" thought, it's interesting to compare numbers of foils in the water to a canter - same in fact. And I'd have thought that a DSS horizontal foil is in the same drag regime as a canting keel strut sticking out the other side with the boat heeled - both close to the water surface. In any event, Hugh is a pretty smart aerohydrodynamicist - I sometimes refer to him as the "master of appendageometry".

I want one - perhaps a 50' daysailer? Mmmm...

If your essentially taking weight out of the boat the faster you go. Also with the foil it promotes lightweight, easier driven boats that don't need huge beam and massive sail area. From all the testing and trialling the DSS crew did on the system they only came up with favourable results. I want one too, not a fifty footer but a fully blown sportsboat racer, perfect for moreton bay!