• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Centurion

Lake Ontario Anarchy

IRC Canadian Championships!? Just out of curiosity, were there any boats in attendance from outside the greater Toronto area?

There was this very quick looking NM/43, others as well

Congrats to IRC Canadian Champs Stephen Trevitt and crew of the J35 Crime Scene. Saw the Flamingo disintegrate on Saturday. Ouch!

Over 100 boats competed at the 2009 EYC Open and Levels Regatta this past weekend. In championship events, over 30 boats competed for the 2009 Canadian IRC Championship with Crime Scene, owned by Stephen Trevitt from Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club coming out on top while Still Knot Working owned by Steve Reid from Etobicoke Yacht Club won the C&C 27 Mark V North American Championship. Complete results are available at www.lorc.org.

Thanks to all competitors, in particular those from Rochester who made the trip to compete in the IRC Championships.

Michael

Congrats Crime Scene!

Where were the other Lake Ontario J35's? Only you and Locutus?

J35 fleet is dead.

Crime Scene - IRC champions

Locutus (Wired) - still races regularly

Raison D'Etre - for sale, raced occasionally

Stryder - still in town, last race 2007

Buckaroo Banzai - last raced in 2003 except for the charter by Falcon

Abracadabra - still in town, last race 2007

Sassafras - still in town, did 3 races this year

Tornado - still around, club racer

Jake - sold

Reamer/Bob/Deliverance - sold

Usual Suspects - sold. Group lobotomy and bought a J105.

Loyalist - gone, I don't know where

Battlewagon - donated to a sailing outreach program

J35 fleet is dead.

Crime Scene - IRC champions

Locutus (Wired) - still races regularly

Raison D'Etre - for sale, raced occasionally

Stryder - still in town, last race 2007

Buckaroo Banzai - last raced in 2003 except for the charter by Falcon

Abracadabra - still in town, last race 2007

Sassafras - still in town, did 3 races this year

Tornado - still around, club racer

Jake - sold

Reamer/Bob/Deliverance - sold

Usual Suspects - sold. Group lobotomy and bought a J105.

Loyalist - gone, I don't know where

Battlewagon - donated to a sailing outreach program

Damn, that sucks. It wasn't that long ago (2003) when they had 27 boats on the line at the Toronto J35 NA's.

RIP

Any news on the Rolex Women's Keelboat in Rochester? We have gusts of 45 at the moment, so ... they'll be having some fun right now if they're out.

Any news on the Rolex Women's Keelboat in Rochester? We have gusts of 45 at the moment, so ... they'll be having some fun right now if they're out.

They've gone to the spa!

They've gone to the spa!

Better the spa than the mall!!!

They've gone to the spa!

Just talked to the Foredeck of Team Thunder Chicken (Bow #45). They DID go to the Spa!!! Good call JJ.

They've gone to the spa!

Just talked to the Foredeck of Team Thunder Chicken (Bow #45). They DID go to the Spa!!! Good call JJ.

I had a little inside information but had I been a guessing I would have said the mall.

Sailing Anarchy is a good spot for sailors to hold forth on whatever is bugging them or causing them deep and lasting satisfaction but it is still a bloody shame that the LORC website has become so neglected.

LORC stands for Lake Ontario Racing Council and it still is the only organizing body for Yacht Racing in the Greater Toronto Area which sort of stretches about twenty miles either side of that amiable city. It's Forum was as near as we had to a Parliament wherein local sailors could air their beefs, bright or not so bright ideas and very, very occasionaly say something nice about the people who organized the sport for them.

I had the honour of Chairing LORC for about three years and in conjunction with a really great bunch of people who represented the Member Clubs on the LORC Board made quite a few changes in the way LORC worked. Principal change was to hand the running of the on-the-water part of the regattas to the clubs and turning LORC into a body that set up the season's schedule, made up the NORs and Sailing Instructions, sent it all out to an eagerly awaiting mob of winter-crazed sailors with a single Registration Form on which all the races you might want to enter in the season could be entered and paid for.Then we sent 90% of the money to the clubs with which to run their regattas.Up to that point, the clubs hadn't had to do a thing. Anything wrong wih that concept?

Well, if there was we had the Forum for folks to talk about it and they did. Most of the chat was good and constructive-generally sailors are like that-but there were those who's totally negative and mindless take on what we on the Board of LORC were trying to fashion for our local clubs and their members that I was often tempted by the thought that my job might better be handled by a Proctologist. Go over to www.lorc.org and read such items as The Death Of LORC-you'll get the idea.

But while you're still with SA,go look at the post on How To Kill Your Yacht Club. What it has to say is a familiar theme and in context.

I am tempted-but will resist the temptation-to speculate as to the identity of those who then subjected the LORC Forum to a blizzard of meaningless posts under obvious aliases that made it difficult/pointless to try to get any real discussion going-ie the sort of thing that the LORC and the SA Forums are designed for. That's what really drove people away from the LORC Forum- no fault in itself but the action of one or more useless bastards.Anybody know a good way to track such posts to their source? I was told at the time that we couldn't which was a pity.

Irishmember, I sail a boat called Maggie Kelly which may tell you and others what my principals are. Chief among them is that I don't like being buggered by bastards ( or anybody else for that matter) so this post on this Forum sounds the charge to revive the LORC Forum so that we have a place to talk about our local issues .We can still have our say on the SA Forum when we seek a wider audience and broader input but if we really are Canadian-remember the Rant!-we should not be letting our own Forum be taken from us. Especially when we can't get on the Gardiner or drive down University Avenue! Enough already!!!

Mr Steer, you might want to opine as to why the RCYC Forum is moribund, as they don't allow any opinions to be posted that are contrary to the view of the "in crowd". Your LORC forum experience and your stated concerns and the correction model that you espouse, is exactly how the RCYC Forum is run. Please note, the RCYC Forum is dead/toast/crapola, except for suck up bj's, and thus I suggest to you, your model will surely add meat to the post about "how to kill a yacht club".

Bump.

Just seeing if anyone is goint to the Toronto boat show in January?

In the meantime a politically incorrect Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all.

Bump.

In the meantime a politically incorrect Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all.

I heard it mentioned that Melges may have a display this year, possibly just the M20, anyone comfirm?

Nothing on the website.

Bump.

I heard it mentioned that Melges may have a display this year, possibly just the M20, anyone comfirm?

Nothing on the website.

I'll be there. Not sure what day yet, but I have tickets.

Bump.

Nothing on the website.

dont forget the beers after, or before, or during. but for sure after.

happy ho ho

dont forget the beers after, or before, or during. but for sure after.

happy ho ho

Basketcase - Mrs. Barkley is now home from Calgary for a couple of weeks. Time to coordinate our schedules - I have some beer/rum to buy, and you have some carbon layup - and other - stories to tell.

Bump.

Nothing on the website.

I'm not sure about the Melges gang, but Advantage Boating (and Rondar Raceboats) will be there with a Viper 640.

Toronto Boat Show, January

9 – 17, 2010, booth #1551

Please drop by for a look.

H

I'm not sure about the Melges gang, but Advantage Boating (and Rondar Raceboats) will be there with a Viper 640.

H

Speaking of the Boat Show ... who's going and when? Will there be an Anarchist's night at the Olde York again? A little bird told the bar staff to pick up some ginger beer and several extra bottles of dark rum...

H

Speaking of the Boat Show ... who's going and when? Will there be an Anarchist's night at the Olde York again? A little bird told the bar staff to pick up some ginger beer and several extra bottles of dark rum...

lets do the first saturday of the show, at the olde york.

So what is happening if anything at the boat show this year? Unfortunately I will not be getting there and was wondering if there were any new boats or equipment that stood out.

So what is happening if anything at the boat show this year? Unfortunately I will not be getting there and was wondering if there were any new boats or equipment that stood out.

I was thinking about going on weekend. Not interested in seeing all the latest in power boats. What is all there that runs on wind?

Discussed here

LORC PHRF Series Championship

A.k.a. “The PHRF Saturday Series”

New for the 2010 season, LORC is introducing a 5 Saturday PHRF Series held in conjunction with of the regular LORC Regattas.

This series is specifically created for PHRF racers, who wish to race only on the Saturday of the weekend regattas.

May 29 – ABYC

June 12 – RCYC

July 10 – PCYC

Aug. 28 – EYC

Sept 11 - QCYC

Daily flags will be awarded during the festive Saturday evening party at the host club.

Series Championship awards will be presented after Saturday racing at QCYC, and also at the LORC Awards Night in the fall.

Our goal is to introduce LORC racing with a simple schedule. Combined with a best 70% scoring system, participants will be able to miss one regatta, and still be competitive in the overall results. Participate on 4 Saturdays, and you can still be on the podium at year-end .

This will be a fantastic series for those who have considered racing in LORC, or for those seeking that extra challenge outside of club racing, or even those who have a desire to race on a sunny Saturday afternoon in a building breeze. This is the place for you.

Come join the fun, great racing, great people, fantastic after race parties and free overnight dockage too. It’s the best 5 Saturdays on the lake.

On-line registration, Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions are available at the LORC website, http://www.lorc.org

For those of you who are able to manage it, North Sails Canada has a new facebook page that is trying for more local news pics and interaction for all 3 lofts, Vancouver, Atlantic, and Toronto. Toronto team is going to be using it fairly actively so check it out for a lot of the LORC and other such toronto and lake ontario news stuff.

Will be sailing out of SBYC with my brother, assuming the weather is nice, next weekend. Been a while since i have been on the lake.

What is the water depth around Toronto?

I heard that the entrance to Scarborough Park/Yacht Clubs is only 4 feet deep? All those boats are in the water at dock but can't leave? Is it really that bad?

If that is the case, then clubs on Toronto Island must have some problems?

Hey....

The Toronto Area Hospice Regatta (One Design) June 18-20th Hosted by NYC

Melges 20, melges 24, 8 Metre, C&C 115, Beneteau 36.7.....

Northern Harbour (the Jimmy Buffet tribute band) playing a benefit concert Saturday Night.

Tickets $25 at the door

Register online learn more

I heard that the entrance to Scarborough Park/Yacht Clubs is only 4 feet deep? All those boats are in the water at dock but can't leave? Is it really that bad?

Yep... the water is LOW 'cause we didn't get much snow. But, apparently there is a way to hold things back, plus there are a couple of bigger lakes above us that will send some extra down. Disclaimer: Heard at least thirdhand, and who knows how long it will take.

Yep... the water is LOW 'cause we didn't get much snow. But, apparently there is a way to hold things back, plus there are a couple of bigger lakes above us that will send some extra down. Disclaimer: Heard at least thirdhand, and who knows how long it will take.

We were able to get out at SBYC and draw 4 and a half. Dredging to be done soon from what I heard.

Was at RCYC on the weekend and saw a "something 38" aground infront of the baffles that protect the city-side docks. Fleet capitains race was on Saturday and did not hear about anyone running aground getting out to the course. Water does seem to be rising though.

Expect 20 boats or more for IRC, they are encouraging smaller boats to get measured and have provided for a third rating band. MK, a bunch of C&C 115's and old C&C 41's / 37's, the Farr 30's, J35's a couple of 10R's and even some old MORC 30 boats.

The water depth at the entrance to the yacht clubs at Bluffers Park is about 4 1/2 feet, there is a sandbar which runs right across the gap. There are portions around 5 feet on the east side, but you would need to sound those spots to find them, that’s how I got out in early May. Nemesis, Scotch Rocks and Upstart are made it out.

Dredging is to begin this Thursday, expect another week after that before the temporary east channel is usable. 3 to 4 weeks for completion.

The IRC class within LORC is growing very well, there will be 3 fleets this year for the regatta series, IRC-3 now includes the likes of the Star 30, CS30’s, Laser 28's, a Kirby 30, along with the J-35’s and few 37 footers. I believe there are almost 50 IRC boats on Lake Ontario this year, and with the IRC Canadian Championships at PCYC, and IRC divisions at Youngstown, the LO 300 and a new fall offshore series, there will be more than enough racing to go around.

And for the PHRF guys, LORC has a new Saturday Series, which is a great introduction to LORC racing, with all the benefits of excellent race management, and the Saturday night parties, but with easier logistics for owner and crew by racing the Saturday only.

And a big thanks to The National YC for accommodating some us from the east end, and inviting us to race with them until our depth issue is resolved. A perfect example of the camaraderie within the local racing community.

Now we just need some wind to get things going.

Not a racing question, but a Lake Ontario question. I'm thinking about checking out the Thousand Islands region and St. Larence Islands Park with my stalwart swing keel trailer sailor. Seems like a good place to go gunk-holing. Am I right?

Was at RCYC on the weekend and saw a "something 38" aground infront of the baffles that protect the city-side docks. Fleet capitains race was on Saturday and did not hear about anyone running aground getting out to the course. Water does seem to be rising though.

Forecast for the summer is about .5m below each month's long term mean. RCYC will be having serious depth issues by early Sept at this rate. By Last Mast Blast I would not be surprised if 50% of the boats will be having issues.

The IRC class within LORC is growing very well, there will be 3 fleets this year for the regatta series, IRC-3 now includes the likes of the Star 30, CS30’s, Laser 28's, a Kirby 30, along with the J-35’s and few 37 footers. I believe there are almost 50 IRC boats on Lake Ontario this year, and with the IRC Canadian Championships at PCYC, and IRC divisions at Youngstown, the LO 300 and a new fall offshore series, there will be more than enough racing to go around.

Can you provide a list for IRC-3...looking for some racing around Toronto and from the LORC website there is no IRC-3 listed...an nothing in my range that would make me put in the effort...

The IRC class within LORC is growing very well, there will be 3 fleets this year for the regatta series, IRC-3 now includes the likes of the Star 30, CS30s, Laser 28's, a Kirby 30, along with the J-35s and few 37 footers. I believe there are almost 50 IRC boats on Lake Ontario this year, and with the IRC Canadian Championships at PCYC, and IRC divisions at Youngstown, the LO 300 and a new fall offshore series, there will be more than enough racing to go around.

Can you provide a list for IRC-3...looking for some racing around Toronto and from the LORC website there is no IRC-3 listed...an nothing in my range that would make me put in the effort...

As of April 14/10

IRC 3: 1.028 and slower

Crime Scene J/35

Locutus J/35

Plika First 10R

Sona First 10R

Blast First 10R

Moxie II C&C 110

Max Sand J/92S

Red Jacket C&C 39 Custom

Friction Frers F3

Five Fifteen Hunter 37 WK LG

Fortitude Santana 30/30 GP

Starwatch Star 30

Paladen S2 9.1

Incorrigible Kirby 30

Victory Dance CS 30

Zoo 2 G&S 30

FLAK Andrews 30

Heatwave Frers F3

There are links on the LORC website for addtional info regarding IRC.

This is a great group people too, hope you can join us.

As of April 14/10

Crime Scene J/35

Locutus J/35

Plika First 10R

Sona First 10R

Blast First 10R

Moxie II C&C 110

Max Sand J/92S

Red Jacket C&C 39 Custom

Friction Frers F3

Starwatch Star 30

Paladen S2 9.1

Incorrigible Kirby 30

Victory Dance CS 30

Zoo 2 G&S 30

FLAK Andrews 30

Heatwave Frers F3

Wow. I wish y'all the best of success, but using the evil rating system that shall remain unnamed, that list covers a 78 second range. As a guy who'll soon own one of the boats listed, that's not much of an incentive to come play in IRC3.

Go LOR! Go IOR! Go MORC! Go IMS! Go IRC! Go ???!

Cheers!

Not a racing question, but a Lake Ontario question. I'm thinking about checking out the Thousand Islands region and St. Larence Islands Park with my stalwart swing keel trailer sailor. Seems like a good place to go gunk-holing. Am I right?

IMHO yes. Spent many days as a kid jumping from the rock near the mooring on Camelot Island.

Park map link

As of April 14/10

Crime Scene J/35

Locutus J/35

Plika First 10R

Sona First 10R

Blast First 10R

Moxie II C&C 110

Max Sand J/92S

Red Jacket C&C 39 Custom

Friction Frers F3

Starwatch Star 30

Paladen S2 9.1

Incorrigible Kirby 30

Victory Dance CS 30

Zoo 2 G&S 30

FLAK Andrews 30

Heatwave Frers F3

Wow. I wish y'all the best of success, but using the evil rating system that shall remain unnamed, that list covers a 78 second range. As a guy who'll soon own one of the boats listed, that's not much of an incentive to come play in IRC3.

Cheers!

What happenned to your last "adventure"?

post-2701-127490241191_thumb.jpg

What happenned to your last "adventure"?

While I've been really fortunate to have the use of loaners over the past few years, at the end of the day, there are some issues that just can't be overcome. Last year's 300 "adventure" is a pretty fair illustration of that!

It's time for a bit of renewed focus to wage my own efforts on a few projects again. Might not be out much this season, but we'll be back eventually!

Cheers!

Hey Brother, if you do end up with the boat it will be one of the best decisions ever.

As of April 14/10

Crime Scene J/35

Locutus J/35

Plika First 10R

Sona First 10R

Blast First 10R

Moxie II C&C 110

Max Sand J/92S

Red Jacket C&C 39 Custom

Friction Frers F3

Starwatch Star 30

Paladen S2 9.1

Incorrigible Kirby 30

Victory Dance CS 30

Zoo 2 G&S 30

FLAK Andrews 30

Heatwave Frers F3

Cheers!

That list was as of April 14th, as more boats join, I’m sure the splits may be re-aligned to decrease the spread, no system is perfect, but next OD, it’s the best game in town at the moment.

Finally the first regatta of the season tomorrow(ABYC).

After the pitiful turnout for the Phelan six boats in all, two of whom managed to find the island in the fog. It will be great to see a few more boats on the line.

Kudos to the Phelan RC however for shortening the course, fog and light winds make for a long race.

What will National YC be like to get to and from the C and C Owners weekend? Thinking about coming. But some crew are driving. Will the whole downtown of Toronto be shut down? Obama and friends coming for a visit that weekend?

What will National YC be like to get to and from the C and C Owners weekend? Thinking about coming. But some crew are driving. Will the whole downtown of Toronto be shut down? Obama and friends coming for a visit that weekend?

The official link here is useless, but I've been told that the exclusion zone stops east of Spadina so it won't directly affect the club or the race course. I'd bet that the Gardner and Lakeshore will both be closed through the core. In theory it's business as usual...

Does anyone know if the island folks can get to their boats - or leave with them? I'd bet access to the Western Gap is closed, but that is pure speculation.

The official link here is useless, but I've been told that the exclusion zone stops east of Spadina so it won't directly affect the club or the race course. I'd bet that the Gardner and Lakeshore will both be closed through the core. In theory it's business as usual...

Does anyone know if the island folks can get to their boats - or leave with them? I'd bet access to the Western Gap is closed, but that is pure speculation.

OK, I'm wrong on at least one account:

How your travel might be interrupted during the G20 weekend:

Roadways:

* 400-series highways, the Gardiner Expressway, the Queen Elizabeth Way and Lakeshore Boulevard will be accessible. however, "significant traffic disruption is anticipated."

* Highway 427 and the Gardiner will experience delays due to motorcade travel.

* On june 25th and 26th, the Gardiner Expressway's York, Bay and Yonge Street exits will be closed. The York Street ramp going westbound will be closed on June 27th

* There will be no vehicle traffic on Front Street, west of Bay Street, but a "Kiss & Ride" and "Taxi Stand" will be set up temporarily east of Bay Street.

Link.

As of April 14/10

Crime Scene J/35

Locutus J/35

Plika First 10R

Sona First 10R

Blast First 10R

Moxie II C&C 110

Max Sand J/92S

Red Jacket C&C 39 Custom

Friction Frers F3

Starwatch Star 30

Paladen S2 9.1

Incorrigible Kirby 30

Victory Dance CS 30

Zoo 2 G&S 30

FLAK Andrews 30

Heatwave Frers F3

Cheers!

That list was as of April 14th, as more boats join, I’m sure the splits may be re-aligned to decrease the spread, no system is perfect, but next OD, it’s the best game in town at the moment.

Dumb question - will all the above list be at ABYC this weekend or is this a theoretical list of boats in a certain rating band?

What's stopping peeps getting out these days? credit crunch? crew? competent race committee? owner commitment? new sails? surely in the current climate there's not a 3DL arms racing going on...

got an IRC cert but boat is still under plastic surgery

New gel on cockpit and cabin top

Looks awesome so far. Will race on a 10r instead to get my fix

OK, I'm wrong on at least one account:

How your travel might be interrupted during the G20 weekend:

Roadways:

* 400-series highways, the Gardiner Expressway, the Queen Elizabeth Way and Lakeshore Boulevard will be accessible. however, "significant traffic disruption is anticipated."

* Highway 427 and the Gardiner will experience delays due to motorcade travel.

* On june 25th and 26th, the Gardiner Expressway's York, Bay and Yonge Street exits will be closed. The York Street ramp going westbound will be closed on June 27th

* There will be no vehicle traffic on Front Street, west of Bay Street, but a "Kiss & Ride" and "Taxi Stand" will be set up temporarily east of Bay Street.

Link.

Thanks for your links and info. Looks like downtown Toronto is a mess that weekend. Getting to National in a car may be next to impossible. Wait and see as the dates gets closer.

man the ashbridges bay race committee are a bunch of retards, and that's being mean to retards.

they sent the bloody ponderous 8 meters on a longer course after making them start at the back of the start order AND we all had to wait for them to finish to before we could begin race 2

i've never wasted so much time on a boat in my life!

hope the other courses were better run - geez...

Kudos to the ABYC race committee on the skippers plan course (J-105's, Etchells, C&C 99), they managed to get off six races over two days even with the wind shifts. They did a great job under trying conditions.

A great start the sailing season.

Who's in for the Hood?

man the ashbridges bay race committee are a bunch of retards, and that's being mean to retards.

they sent the bloody ponderous 8 meters on a longer course after making them start at the back of the start order AND we all had to wait for them to finish to before we could begin race 2

There were 5 Race Circles at ABYC, if you have a complaint, then complain about the course that you were on and not the ALL of them. Before complaining about the Volunteers who man the race committee maybe you should think about why there was a delay.

My understanding after listening to a number of the race committee's was there were considerable wind shifts with 180 degree wind shifts from one end of the course to the other. I spoke with one boat who sailed the upwind leg, and then sailed upwind on the downwind leg due to a wind shift. The race committee try to get the best racing for the racers, most of the racers appreciate the work done by the race committee, but not you.

I have to assume that you were on a Beneteau 36.7, as the IRC fleet got in 3 races to your 2 races on Saturday and you don't seem to like the 8 Metres.

Did they send them on a longer course than you? Which day is in question? Was this last start their normal starting position or were they OCS and moved to the last start?

Wasnt sailing this weekend and I did not hear any of this from the fleet that did. All I heard was that the little plastic boats were in the way...again.

The delays on Saturday on the IRC-8m-Ben36.7 course were excessive. Sure, there was a 180 windshift (355 to 190), but that one is the easiest to deal with; everyone motor or sail down to the old upwind mark and offset. Voila, there's your new leeward gate. Set a new line, fine-tune the new upwind mark and offset, and racing would have got going again much faster than the farting around of this weekend.

If the RC insisted on resetting a course from the same location, but to the new onshore wind direction, here are some tips for the mark boat:

1) Have two change marks ready to go, instead of retrieving the old weather marks 2 miles away.

2) Do NOT simply go to where the signal boat's bow is pointing, because anchored boats ride the current more than the wind.

3) When your forty degree error has been discovered, and you have been told where the weather mark really should be, do NOT motor at 7 knots to get there. You've got horses -- use them.

Thankfully, the markset work on Sunday was a huge improvement.

On another matter, I saw the Hot Water Act II incident, and I thought HW's actions were a bit embellished. I'd give him a diving penalty.

Edit: I also question the decision to wait 40 minutes for the Eights and Benes to finish, instead of sending the IRC divisions off on another race.

Yes, Thisbe - Eights sailed a weather leg that was 125-150% longer. They typically started after IRC divisions and the Bene 36.7s, but by Sunday, division orders were juggled to allow the Eights and Benes to catch up in the number of completed races.

Any news on the Susan Hood? I've been watching for results on the PCYC site, and there's been none as yet.

I can't find results for the Hood anywhere either. Anyone?

Any news on the Susan Hood? I've been watching for results on the PCYC site, and there's been none as yet.

Me neither...

Me neither...

They're posted now at Susan Hood Results

There were 5 Race Circles at ABYC, if you have a complaint, then complain about the course that you were on and not the ALL of them. Before complaining about the Volunteers who man the race committee maybe you should think about why there was a delay.

My understanding after listening to a number of the race committee's was there were considerable wind shifts with 180 degree wind shifts from one end of the course to the other. I spoke with one boat who sailed the upwind leg, and then sailed upwind on the downwind leg due to a wind shift. The race committee try to get the best racing for the racers, most of the racers appreciate the work done by the race committee, but not you.

I have to assume that you were on a Beneteau 36.7, as the IRC fleet got in 3 races to your 2 races on Saturday and you don't seem to like the 8 Metres.

I was in IRC 1 and I love 8s, JC. On Saturday the RC just decided that single thread processing was the way to go. The 8s were already at the back of the order and sailed a 2nm beat to our 1.5. We sat there for 45 mins after the first race while the offshore (340 deg) morning breeze was still in full force. They could have gotten another full race in before the wind predictably cacked during the middle of the second race. At least they had the good sense to shorten that one. Their faffing about made the windshift become (more) of a problem.

I don't care if it's volunteers, you have many millions of dollars of boats out on the water. The V word carries no truck with me. They had a startline port/finish line stbd set up as is normal, but they didn't have the wisdom to go ahead with the second sequence while the 8s were ploughing troughs in the lake on their way downhill.

I saw the HW/Act II incident and say what you want about HW's actions, P/S is all about safety: if the Stbd boat has to move it's helm 1", hell 1 mm, then why have the concept of a "give-way" boat? It's easy to say someone overreacted, but with 25C, 10 knots, 20/20 hindsight you can easily downplay a safety concern. In 10ft seas and 25 knots it's a lot different. Act II messed up more by not just doing a circle: new rules have done away with the 720 so it's so easy to bear off, gybe then tack - deal done. They were crazy to go the room in the first place - no PC will ever rule in favour of a give-way boat. Real brain fart by helm/skppier/tactics not to respond to the protest at once. It was salvagable with a circle but they made it worse. Maybe they'll learn?

A young fellow I know was in that race doing prhf for the first time. He had never raced before and has a small boat. He did all the preparation and read as much as he could including the rule book before heading out to try it on. It was, he said, the worst experience of his sailing life. He thought it would be commaradarie and good natured fellowship, and his experience was that it was the nastiest form of competition he had ever been involved with. The foul mouthed belligerance and bullying he felt was way beyond even college football or any other sport he has been involved with. Thus the Act II incident above is indicative of this mentality and the RC and Ashbridges Bay's willingness to condone the shit heads out there that have no other life nor desire to aspire to higher quality. This fellow won't go back and another sailor is lost to racing. It was not this way back in the early '70's when I started racing. The guys in IOR A would go around you, not luff you into a collision with a newbie and would make a point of coming to see you afterwards and offer help and pointers for the next time. Such an attitude no longer exists it would appear and the likes of the Act II debacle are the disgusting norm.

Me neither...

That was one of the best Susan Hood races in recent memory.

Enough wind and rain to keep it interesting with one hell of a lightning show.

A young fellow I know was in that race doing prhf for the first time. He had never raced before and has a small boat. He did all the preparation and read as much as he could including the rule book before heading out to try it on. It was, he said, the worst experience of his sailing life. He thought it would be commaradarie and good natured fellowship, and his experience was that it was the nastiest form of competition he had ever been involved with. The foul mouthed belligerance and bullying he felt was way beyond even college football or any other sport he has been involved with. Thus the Act II incident above is indicative of this mentality and the RC and Ashbridges Bay's willingness to condone the shit heads out there that have no other life nor desire to aspire to higher quality. This fellow won't go back and another sailor is lost to racing. It was not this way back in the early '70's when I started racing. The guys in IOR A would go around you, not luff you into a collision with a newbie and would make a point of coming to see you afterwards and offer help and pointers for the next time. Such an attitude no longer exists it would appear and the likes of the Act II debacle are the disgusting norm.

The windward-leeward format is not the best place to try racing for the first time. Going downwind with the chute up, you

have to worry about people coming upwind etc. This did not happen much in the days of triangles. The racing scene I remember from the late 70s/80s was more social, more recreational than it is now. I suggest that this young fellow consider doing some of the distance races on Lake Ontario, in particular, the short-handed series. The starts are more relaxed, you get to race on all points of sail, and the atmosphere is much closer to what I recall from my youth. There is a PCYC-Youngstown race coming up I believe. I encourage this young guy to give it another try. I think his experience will be completely different.

Me neither...

That was one of the best Susan Hood races in recent memory.

Enough wind and rain to keep it interesting with one hell of a lightning show.

Never thought I'd have fun flying a chute in a lightning storm in the middle of the night...

davidprobable

Anarchist

Group:

Members Posts:

176 Joined:

09-January 09 Posted Yesterday, 08:19 AM

We were racing at ABYC and won our division. Tonight 4 of our crew travelled to a different club to race on the boat that finished last that weekend to help them get up to speed faster.

Commaradaries and good natured fellowship do exist; it is just unfortunate that those that don't believe in it tend to be more vocal.

Interestingly enough, my experience tonight didn't happen because we are wonderful, generous teachers. It happened because a boat chose to show up at the start line regardless of their experience, bring a great attitude and be open to help.

Hopefully you're young friend will try again and maybe you can join him for a day or set him up with someone that can help teach him how to get around the race course. Every boat on the start line counts.

davidprobable

Anarchist

Group:

Members Posts:

176 Joined:

We were racing at ABYC and won our division. Tonight 4 of our crew travelled to a different club to race on the boat that finished last that weekend to help them get up to speed faster.

Commaradaries and good natured fellowship do exist; it is just unfortunate that those that don't believe in it tend to be more vocal.

Interestingly enough, my experience tonight didn't happen because we are wonderful, generous teachers. It happened because a boat chose to show up at the start line regardless of their experience, bring a great attitude and be open to help.

Hopefully you're young friend will try again and maybe you can join him for a day or set him up with someone that can help teach him how to get around the race course. Every boat on the start line counts.

Hey Fluffy, good karma brother. Respect.

Maybe you and the crew can come with us one day and get us up to speed seeing as we came third last :D

davidprobable

Anarchist

Group:

Members Posts:

176 Joined:

Maybe you and the crew can come with us one day and get us up to speed seeing as we came third last :D

I don't think we can help you go back when you are over early. Maybe hold off on the rummers until after the race.

I've been trying to get a hold of you. Any interest in sailing RCYC this weekend?

If anybody else is PM me.

davidprobable

Anarchist

Group:

Members Posts:

176 Joined:

Maybe you and the crew can come with us one day and get us up to speed seeing as we came third last biggrin.gif

I don't think we can help you go back when you are over early. Maybe hold off on the rummers until after the race.

I've been trying to get a hold of you. Any interest in sailing RCYC this weekend?

If anybody else is PM me.

The fellow in the small boat has signed up to do RCYC this weekend. I have sent him your posts (he hasn't found SA yet) and he says it is worth another try. Thanks guys.........maybe he will become an SA'er where the abuse is usually expected as the norm.

Amazing turn out for the Hood - big respekt to those getting SH sailing going (Steigenga, Benner, others for sure).

An interesting observation is there are some BIG boats around Toronto (Gaucho, Peterson 42, Beneteau 49, First 45) but the owners favour long distance races. I wonder if this is because there's not enuf competent crew around TO to crew up a 45'+ boat in a tight 1.5 mile W/L scenario where you need 10 peeps who know exactly what they are doing. Less of a safety issue for the poor helm/owner for sure. Just guessing.

Lastly, is Peas and Carrots a new 40.7 on the lake? Or does the name refer to the colour: one side green like MK other side orange like Umi Taka? :-D

Let your friend know that I will be on bear necessity friday evening if he wants to talk about race course positioning.

Alec, I can't respond to PMs from work so call me at 905-338-7224 if you get a chance.

Cheers,

Dave

We're coming in for the 300...

Any suggestions on where to stay the Thursday and Friday before?? Anything within walking distance from the yacht club? Can't seem to find much on the web. The Willows???

We can't wait to get there. Definitely fired up to be sailing in some new waters with some different boats.

GTFP