Centurion

Lake Ontario Anarchy

I know that the RC are all voluteers and I give them full credit for coming out, but...

As a fleet I understand the the Eights asked for longer legs and this is why we go the longer distance. Should we then not have started first if we had to sail a longer course? When we were coming down for the first time, IRC1 and some IRC2's were heading down for the last time. And what was with the false start? 4 fleets on the course but 5 starts?!! That just added to the waiting. I agree that making the IRC fleet wait for boats to finish in another fleet is stupid. Other RC's have been able to get fleets started with other fleets finishing. And the waiting!!!! So what if the wind shifts 10 or 20 degrees. It was variable and came back and forth. Makes it more interesting for the tactician. There is no reason that the IRC fleets should not have got at least 4 races in over the course of the weekend. Saturday was patially understandable, but not Sunday.

Anybody know of anyone needing a ride at Levels?

Thanks

Any results for PCYC, how did the J22s end up?

Check out the lorc.org web site. Look under regatta results. They are up.

The race committee on course B did a good job in trying conditions.

It would be nice however if they could do rolling starts.

Waiting for the last white sail from PHRF to finish before even considering a new start was very frustrating. I don’t know if they would have helped on Saturday, however on Sunday it would have resulted in one more race.

Next regatta Youngstown.

Good luck to all those on the LO 300.

Has anyone seen the results for EYC?

(For the Toronto crowd EYC is a regatta at the end of the lake where Main Duck is just a jibe mark in a club LD) :)

A certain O30 did quite nicely in PHRF 1 and overall. http://www.stlawrenc...se%20racing.htm

A certain J80 sucked in the LD but did better in the courses.

Good sailing Scot, see you at CORK.

Nice score lines gents. Sorry we couldn't make it for the fun. Looking forward to CORK though; if the sportboats come out in the same numbers as last year, and the J105s also show up, we have the potential to have the largest offshore fleet in years. See you then.

DJL

The J105’s will be at CORK, they have a feeder race from Toronto to Kingston, and the Regatta is their Canadian championship.

As Expected the management of this years EYC regatta made an abortion out of the scores screwing up the results and awarding the wrong trophy's. The boat that won it when recalculated was a beney 30 from my own yacht club named sail la vie. Somehow there was some mistakes and then they awarded it to a "local" guy with an inferior score. Typical. Another reason why one design sailing is way up and phrf is way down, which is fine by me, but I still don't like seeing a fellow friend and sailor get screwed by what is just wrong. Even when someone who doesn't race phrf (me) looked at the scores it was obvious who the clear winner was. The Skipper worked hard on his boat, practiced a lot and worked hard to do well at this regatta only to get fucked over by what is typical of this organization. The skipper is one of the nicest guys I know and is still very new to skippering in competitive sailing(relatively speaking) and this award might not have been a big deal to most people but I know it was to him. Things have been straightened out now but to miss the moment winning his first regatta because a bunch of hacks screwed up the scores is inexcusable.

As Expected the management of this years EYC regatta made an abortion out of the scores screwing up the results and awarding the wrong trophy's. The boat that won it when recalculated was a beney 30 from my own yacht club named sail la vie. Somehow there was some mistakes and then they awarded it to a "local" guy with an inferior score. Typical. Another reason why one design sailing is way up and phrf is way down, which is fine by me, but I still don't like seeing a fellow friend and sailor get screwed by what is just wrong. Even when someone who doesn't race phrf (me) looked at the scores it was obvious who the clear winner was. The Skipper worked hard on his boat, practiced a lot and worked hard to do well at this regatta only to get fucked over by what is typical of this organization. The skipper is one of the nicest guys I know and is still very new to skippering in competitive sailing(relatively speaking) and this award might not have been a big deal to most people but I know it was to him. Things have been straightened out now but to miss the moment winning his first regatta because a bunch of hacks screwed up the scores is inexcusable.

That was me and I took responsibility for it immediately. I will do my best to make it up to Fran somehow but you are right, to miss out on the moment of receiving the well deserved trophy is regrettable. (BTW, the overall trophies he won were NOT given to a local.)

Here is Fran receiving his first place flag for what we mistakenly reported as a tie. He should also have won the best shirt award.

post-16047-127928910882_thumb.jpg

anyone want to contribute their storied from the LO300 ? That storm took down trees and caused damage here in Kingston. Can't imagine what it was like out in the middle.

One month out from the start of CORK and the entries are starting to pick up (http://www.cork.org/reg_list.php?eid=OFF10). The O30, J105 and Viper fleets should all be strong, and the PHRF fleet always has a good turn out. Have a Laser 28? Show up and win your North American Championships! Registration information is available from the link and early-bird prices are still in effect.

See you there!

DJL

I don’t know about the rest of you that went to Youngstown, but the race committee on Bravo course was great.

Four races on Saturday and three on Sunday, a lesson on how to run a race with rolling starts.

Congratulations YYC on a great regatta.

Centurion what were you racing at YYC?

Course A only got 2 in on Sunday. They had started half of the fleets in a painful 3rd race when they fired the three most beautiful cannon shots I've ever heard while flying "N" over "A"

I don’t know about the rest of you that went to Youngstown, but the race committee on Bravo course was great.

Four races on Saturday and three on Sunday, a lesson on how to run a race with rolling starts.

Congratulations YYC on a great regatta.

What was the breeze like? Hot and light?

Nice to see Coug out there.

Rich Reid has 2 boats now - which did he helm? I bet it's the first levels that Teasdale didn't take the 36.7 crown. Great guy, very friendly family. But nice that his customers can win too :-)

Thought that Eric Yeo was a lot better than his results - no disrepsekt, but I faintly remember Blood Money the 34' back in the day was a bit of a killer.

What's up with Maggie? Chris used to be top 3 most of the time...

Miss the place a lot, it's mostly always the same, and that's not a bad thing.

Alpha course RC was great, rolling starts would have been nice, but they did admit they were a little shorthand.

Wind on Saturday started around 16-18, but the day ended with only 4 knots during a lousy race 4.

Sunday's breeze was 12-14 with some good puffs downhill until it all shutdown a minute into race 3.

Maggie is rebuilding, Chris has picked up bunch of newbies from U of T, still has a couple of regulars, but Kudos to him for getting some new blood into the game.

I believe Richard was on the M24.

It was great to get Coug out there, it was a last minute call with for 4 regulars, 1 from 515, 1 Girlfriend, and 2 more from the bar.

Lacking some time on the boat and half of us first timers, it took awhile to get her going, but the corrected times compressed with each race, so everyone was very happy.

It was a privilege to helm the old warhorse, real old school on big boat compared to what I'm used too.

Hopefully we can get them to EYC for the next LORC event....and more.

Racing the Shark NA's in Kingston this weekend. Hoping for Breeze all weekend, otherwise our ~640 combined weight is going to hurt bigtime

92 boats at LYRA, 36.7 & 40.7's have decent fleets, and really nice to see the Farr 30's coming back.

Let's go T.O boats, kick some butt down there.

LYRA

I know its in buffalo, but who's going to LYRA this weekend?

I'll be there. I'm flying in from the Left Coast to sail with the B32 from Ottawa. Just did WIRW so my liver is already conditioned.

But 12 of them are listed twice. So 80 boats only.

92 boats at LYRA, 36.7 & 40.7's have decent fleets, and really nice to see the Farr 30's coming back.

Let's go T.O boats, kick some butt down there.

LYRA

And only 5 boats going through the canal.

You may want to buy a map or a calculator. There are at least 20 Lake Ontario boats registered that need to go through the canal plus a few on trailers.

You may want to buy a map or a calculator. There are at least 20 Lake Ontario boats registered that need to go through the canal plus a few on trailers.

20 boats? I'm guessing you might be missing the irony underlying Buck's comment...

Cheers!

I'll be on the J/V 43 Damn Yankee.

Saw the boat at Levels. Loved the Ericsson Paint Job, seems like a pretty slick ride.

I'll be on the J/V 43 Damn Yankee.

Saw the boat at Levels. Loved the Ericsson Paint Job, seems like a pretty slick ride.

It is a fun boat to sail! The Ericsson graphics are from last year when it was trucked to Boston for the VOR stop over and was used as the Ericsson VIP /PR boat. Most of the Ericsson graphics have been removed but the orange ugliness remains. The owner likes it...

There are at least 20 Lake Ontario boats registered that need to go through the canal plus a few on trailers.

How did you know that First Today was being trucked from Youngstown to Buffalo?

cause they dont have a working engine and RCR marina in buffalo is better equipped to replace/fix the engine

Five-Fifteen will be there.

34 boats in IRC, and growing.

Always a great time at EYC.

Complete listing here...My link

As at 21h00, 85 competitors have registered across ten fleets, including IRC 1, IRC 2, IRC 3, Beneteau 36.7, C&C 99, J/24, and Solings. This regatta is the Ontario Championship for the soling fleet. Registration continues online at www.lorc.org until around 09h00 tomorrow.

Michael

As at 21h00, 85 competitors have registered across ten fleets, including IRC 1, IRC 2, IRC 3, Beneteau 36.7, C&C 99, J/24, and Solings. This regatta is the Ontario Championship for the soling fleet. Registration continues online at www.lorc.org until around 09h00 tomorrow.

Michael

How were the winds at the other end of the lake? 12-15 G20 for four days in a row in Kingston for CORK. Great weather!

Michael

How were the winds at the other end of the lake? 12-15 G20 for four days in a row in Kingston for CORK. Great weather!

Saturday, brilliant sunshine, 10-15 knot steady out of the south, southwest. Sunday again sunshine 8-12 knots out of the south, southwest. All but the IRC course got seven races in over two days.

Michael

Well here we are again, the last “LORC regatta for the year.

QCYC gets the last course racing for the year.

http://www.qcyc.ca/

Another 4 weeks and the Lake Ontario Sailing is just about over.

Congrats to Fredo and crew for the C Class win.

Only 13 boats showed up for the Boswell on Sunday.

The temperature was approximately 12 C, winds in the 15 - 18 knot range and two meter waves made the down wind start a lot of fun if somewhat chilly. (Fucking cold)

The only problem was the missing Humber mark. (Again)

How many times in the past few years has this happened?

Results pending redress.

http://www.lorc.org/results2010/Boswell.htm

What are they going to give redress for? Does the race count in a series? Are they going to give average points? The fall LORC race series is suffering enough as it is, it will be interesting to see who does it again next year.

My best guess is that the redress would be for the mark being out of position. Probably should throw out the race in my opinion.

This is the last of a four race series.

Apparently boats rounded the position as listed in the SI’s (no mark) and after heading back upwind noticed a small mark boat further out in the lake and a lot closer.

I don’t think everyone actually went around the mark as required.

SI’s and NOR: http://www.lorc.org/results2010/LORC_2010Offshore_NOR_and_SIs.pdf

The worst part is that the wind was awesome and the sailing a blast.

Zoom and Nortius around the mark, Zoom later retired, Notorius was first to finish at T1. Just wondering what the point of redress is. It's hard enough to get participation as it is without the course being fucked up. Here come race our fall series, we might not actually get a real race in, but feel free pay the entrance fee to come out and freeze your ass off.

Fun ride down hill though, topped out 16.2 back to national.

Good News for the Great Lakes

Hi,
I thought you might appreciate this:
. I hope you'll forward it to your crew, etc. Please pass it on or post it to your Facebook page (if you have one).

UM-based Michigan Sea Grant awarded $1.5 M to help restore Great Lakes

201098_7962_1.jpg

ANN ARBOR, Mich.—University of Michigan-based Michigan Sea Grant has been awarded more than $1.5 million from the federal government to lead two Great Lakes restoration projects that will restore native fish habitat and help clean up marinas across the region.

Michigan Sea Grant, a collaboration between U-M and Michigan State University, will also assist on five federally funded projects focused on issues including endangered fish, beach contamination, sound boating practices and marina operations, and water pollution.

The Environmental Protection Agency grants are part of the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, a $475 million federal commitment to improve environmental quality in the Great Lakes region. Michigan Sea Grant's work, along with hundreds of other projects in Michigan and the region, will help meet key restoration priorities identified by EPA.

"For years, we've used the Great Lakes as dumping grounds—letting pollution from farm fields, sewers and factories flow into the lakes, overharvesting fish, and building on valuable wetlands," said Jim Diana, a U-M professor of fisheries and director of Michigan Sea Grant, which is based at the U-M School of Natural Resources and Environment.

"The country has benefited from industrial production in this region, but our environment has suffered," Diana said. "This initiative is a major turning point for the Great Lakes. We now have some significant funding which enables us to tackle these issues in a comprehensive, coordinated way."

The two Michigan Sea Grant-led projects are:

• "Restoring Native Fish Habitat in the St. Clair River" ($1.04 million over two years). New underwater reefs will be constructed to encourage reproduction of native fish such as lake whitefish, walleye and lake sturgeon. Studies before and after construction will allow biologists to evaluate the impact of the work and improve future habitat restoration efforts.

"We've been planning for this project for over four years," said Jennifer Read, Michigan Sea Grant assistant director and the project's principal investigator.

"Our team is building on experience with similar projects in the Detroit River," she said. "This project is exciting because it is the first of its kind in the St. Clair River system and could potentially have a huge impact on important sport, heritage and endangered species such as walleye, lake whitefish and lake sturgeon."

• "Green Marina Education and Outreach" ($478,262 over three years). The project will support and improve existing Clean Marina programs in Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin, focusing on reducing pollution from boating and marina activities. Funding will be used to help increase participation and educational efforts that lead to Clean Marina certification.

To become certified, Clean Marinas must complete a training course, perform a self-evaluation and address both mandatory and recommended best practices. About 100 marinas in the Great Lakes region have made the commitment to voluntarily implement best practices.

The new funding will assist in the development of uniform Clean Marina certification standards that can be applied to marinas throughout the region. The project will also provide support to enable marinas to complete certification. In addition, some of the funding will be used to improve existing training tools, like the Web-based Clean Marina Classroom.

Diana is the project's principal investigator. Elizabeth LaPorte, Michigan Sea Grant's director of communications and education services, is co-principal investigator. Extension Program Leader Chuck Pistis will act as manager of quality assurance on the project.

"Since the beginning of the Michigan Clean Marina Program in 2005, we've helped more than 35 marinas become certified and have learned a lot about the needs of marina operators," LaPorte said. "Now we have the opportunity to share these lessons with our partner states, magnifying our impact in the Great Lakes region."

In addition to the marina and reef-building projects, Michigan Sea Grant is collaborating on five Great Lakes Restoration Initiative projects led by other institutions. A portion of these grants will support the work of Michigan Sea Grant extension educators:

• "Outreach to reduce the spread of aquatic invasive species," Dan O'Keefe, Michigan Sea Grant project extension coordinator.

• "Expanding vessel-based education programs," Steve Stewart, Michigan Sea Grant project extension coordinator.

• "Controlling Phragmites along Lake St. Clair," Mary Bohling, Michigan Sea Grant project extension coordinator.

• "Beach information communication system," Sonia Joseph Joshi, Michigan Sea Grant project extension coordinator.

• "Laser technology for tracking beach contaminants," Sonia Joseph Joshi, Michigan Sea Grant project extension coordinator.

Michigan Sea Grant helps foster economic growth and protect Michigan's coastal Great Lakes resources through education, research and outreach. A collaborative effort of the University of Michigan and Michigan State University, Michigan Sea Grant is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration-National Sea Grant network of more than 30 university-based programs.

U-M Sustainability fosters a more sustainable world through collaborations across campus and beyond aimed at educating students, generating new knowledge, and minimizing our environmental footprint. Learn more at

<br class="webkit-block-placeholder">
Related Links:

Any of you fellows know when the dates for the 2011 short-handed series will be up? Planning and mulling over logistics and schemes helps me get through the winter.

What about the rest of the lakes? Ya forgot a few!B)

I think the "Green" marina thing is for all the lakes. Hopefully the rest will spread to the others as well...especially Lake Erie wink.gif

Any of you fellows know when the dates for the 2011 short-handed series will be up? Planning and mulling over logistics and schemes helps me get through the winter.

It is the year for Super Mac, as well as Super Mac and Back.

On November 27th the 57th Annual Team Race regatta at Rochester Yacht Club. 3 v 3 in provided interclubs to be singlehanded. Entry fee is minimal, just enough for the rum beer food and rum after racing. show up at 9 on Saturday, race get drunk, wake up and fleet race the next day. Any takers?

re: Toronto boat show, will they have more than three sailboats on display this year? (excluding the five under 14' boats)?

Used to be a great show for sailors, one building dedicated to sail, but the last few that I went to, it took me longer to drive there than I was at the show, and I did a double look at the gear.

- 3 hour drive

- $60 in entry fee's

- $20 for a couple beers

- spending hours looking for sailboats among the big outboards, power boats that are clones of each other

Would have been a total loss of a day if it was not for the outstanding "canadian ballet" where lap dances made me forget all about the boat show, and a much better value. ahh happy ending

The boat show starts this weekend.

http://www.torontoboatshow.com/

Is anyone going?

Special guest Zac Sunderland, wonder if his sister will be there?

Any C Class folks/boats/equip going to be there? I would make the drive from here just to check that out and chat it up a bit with those in the know.

the official site shows not many sailboats at the show. lots of brokers... over the years we have not gone to the show . costly 18$ this year... parking .. and the drive... and I am not a fisherman so nothing there for me. so sad ...

Is anyone going?

Any C Class folks/boats/equip going to be there? I would make the drive from here just to check that out and chat it up a bit with those in the know.

I'll be at the OSA meeting on the morning of the 16th, I might well duck over to the show after that just to see what's what. We won;t have a boat set up or anything like that, too much other stuff going on to pull that off. PM me if you want to catch a beer and chat for a minute, I like beer, helps to keep the boat flat.

Is anyone going?

I'll be at the OSA meeting on the morning of the 16th, I might well duck over to the show after that just to see what's what. We won;t have a boat set up or anything like that, too much other stuff going on to pull that off. PM me if you want to catch a beer and chat for a minute, I like beer, helps to keep the boat flat.

few of us going for beers after the show on the 15th. be good to see you there.

Is anyone going?

few of us going for beers after the show on the 15th. be good to see you there.

If I end up making it that way, I'll give a shout. Would certainly be more than a pleasure to meet and chat it up with you. Thanks!

New race for 2011... Collins Bay Yacht Club's Long Point Challenge. June 25-26. NOR not quite completed yet, but here is the gist:

Start in Collins Bay (Kingston). Leave Amherst Island to port or starboard. Leave False Duck Island to starboard, the Lake Ontario Weather Buoy (45012) to port, False Duck Island to port, Amherst either side, finish in Collins Bay. 107 miles, with everything from protected flat water to wide-open conditions.

PM me if you want to be on the info list.

Scotch Bonnet light race

Genesee yacht club's annual 82nm long distance race

Evening start, go and spin courses

June 17 7:30 pm start.

Awards/party/fathers day picnic Sunday

Make it a double header, scotch bonnet one weekend, the the long point challenge the next.

Scotch Bonnet light race

Genesee yacht club's annual 82nm long distance race

Evening start, go and spin courses

June 17 7:30 pm start.

Awards/party/fathers day picnic Sunday

Make it a double header, scotch bonnet one weekend, the the long point challenge the next.

Sounds like a great idea! Hope you get a good turnout for this combo.

Thanks Geff, me too. GYC is the home club for Earth Voyager, the tri who has been doing all of the mac's for years. lets have some of your MI boats come by this way.

Here is the web site for the Scotch Bonnet Light Race

http://myyc.org/site/sblr

I'll post more as we get closer to the event.

Thanks Geff, me too. GYC is the home club for Earth Voyager, the tri who has been doing all of the mac's for years. lets have some of your MI boats come by this way.

Here is the web site for the Scotch Bonnet Light Race

http://myyc.org/site/sblr

I'll post more as we get closer to the event.

Right on! I know EV has set the record for Scotch Bonnet and really always talked it up and they enjoyed it immensely as a tune up race for the season.

Yea EV's start was somewhere around 8:30-8:45PM and he made it back for last call at the bar's (Rochester - 2am). Usually can hear Ray before you see the boat, then ya see it but just for a few minutes as it screams past you like you are riding a bicycle on a highway and watching the cars blaze by you. Gets ya nervous when his center hull is pointed right at you as he climbs up to your transom at 20kts.

Not too bad for a home built boat, oh yea, that holds its own up to the big $$ boys. Wish I would have seen him roll star and stripes cat when it racing the mac.

Yea EV's start was somewhere around 8:30-8:45PM and he made it back for last call at the bar's (Rochester - 2am). Usually can hear Ray before you see the boat, then ya see it but just for a few minutes as it screams past you like you are riding a bicycle on a highway and watching the cars blaze by you. Gets ya nervous when his center hull is pointed right at you as he climbs up to your transom at 20kts.

Not too bad for a home built boat, oh yea, that holds its own up to the big $ boys. Wish I would have seen him roll star and stripes cat when it racing the mac.

Was there and on EV for that. There were times with SS rolled us, and other times when we would roll SS. All depended on the conditions. And yeah...you can always know where Ray is laugh.gif Great times with all the Howes both on and off the water. Still some of my closest sailing buds. Look for Ryan and Todd on their newly built F25C to be tearing it up soon.

You will also notice the NYC’s Argosy Rose Bowl has also disappeared (good riddance). So, with the Summerville attracting about 12 boats and no one expected for the Boswell in October ever again, that pretty much concludes LORC offshore racing.

Too bad. A little marketing and organizational effort by the sponsoring clubs would go a long way.

The Susan Hood was heading the same way until the Lake Ontario 300 took over organizing that race without LORC oversight. Look for at least 80 boats there this year.

Anyone who didn't bother with the Summerville last year missed a fabulous race. Course was pretty square for an offshore, wind 15 to 20, huge fun.

The Boswell would have been just as good if RCYC knew how to set a fucking mark.

The Summerville Race should be good time, I believe afterward at ABYC there is a BBQ, party, and some end of season awards handed out too.

Anyone who didn't bother with the Summerville last year missed a fabulous race. Course was pretty square for an offshore, wind 15 to 20, huge fun.

The Boswell would have been just as good if RCYC knew how to set a fucking mark.

Twice in 2 years, a full day of racing ruined. No excuses for RCYC. I am still waiting for my refunds that I requested.

IRC NA's, IRC Canadians, 36.7 NA's, J24 Canadians, and Albacore worlds... There's a whole lot going on this summer.

All you need is some multihull stuff to round everything out nicely.

I think there are a bunch of guys sailing F18's out of EYC. They had a big championship last year, does that count?

Finally some racing tomorrow.

I think there are a bunch of guys sailing F18's out of EYC. They had a big championship last year, does that count?

+1! cool.gif

|First regatta of the season on the LORC schedule.

Day one was a total disaster, no winds.

Thankfully, the race comittee sent us home early.

Day 2 was a lot better, the RC on Bravo did a great job.

Next RCYC open, who's going?

are the results up?

RCYC open? What? When? :P I'm new and I'm looking to find out more about the community

RCYC open? What? When? :P I'm new and I'm looking to find out more about the community

Link: http://www.rcycopen.ca/

Some great racing on the lake.

I posted this in the crewing section to no avail..maybe I'll try it where it's relevant.

Hi,

I am moving to Toronto from the east coast and am looking to get out racing, either in dinghys or keelboats. I have extensive experience racing dinghys(bytes, laser, 420) and some experience racing keelboats(C&C 29, J/24). I am interested in getting into any type of boat whether it be a keelboat or doublehanded dinghy. I am very competitive, I learn very quickly and I am willing to commit to a crew/boat for the summer, and maybe beyong if things work well.

let me know!