Centurion

Lake Ontario Anarchy

BTW 515, the new boat is way too damn fast. Looking good.

Thank you Ripper,

Just loving the new boat, it certainly excels in big breeze, although it wasn't feeling very fast in this situation!!!

post-23164-035800500 1338680664_thumb.jpg

I can't remember the last time I was on a boat on Lake Ontario that hit another boat.

Do you hit boats on other lakes?

Nope. But we did try and hit Ripper at ABYC (the person not his boat).

Unfortunately he moved and we got the boat he was on.

Fortunately no one was injured. Both boats did suffer some damage. Let's not do that again.

Nice to see so much chatter on this thread. For a while, there was no reading or posting. Thanks all of you!

RCYC open this weekend, who's going?

Five-Fifteen will be there, gunning for mid fleet finishes.

Great numbers for this regatta,

IRC 1 - 14 boats,

IRC 3 - 13 boats,

J105's - 16,

plus the all the other fleets.

Hey, get there early on Friday and test drive a Rolls Royce, maybe we can run up the beer store and take back our empties?

Keel shoe!!!

Would never refuse more speed, especially on the weekends, but our rating is unchanged, the website just requires an update.

That's out of my control, IRC2 is good group too, we'd have fun there sure with RJ, Cesan, A35, couple of J-35's, well balanced mix.

Logic behind us in IRC1 is that the other two IMX-38's rate slightly above 1.042, so if they ever come out, the 3 of us would be together, so hopefully that happens.

Kudos to RCYC for a very good regatta, ALPHA course race management was excellent, beverages on shore plentiful, and the dinner was very good too.

Thanks to John for all the great photos, one day the fog will lift and we'll get those beautiful blue backdrops.LORC Photos

The IRC fleet had a very good turnout, nice to see the fleet growing.

Congrats to all the winners.

Does anyone have a link to the photos that were taken at the Hospice regatta?

This was a very well run event, the RC work on the Procom course was excellent.

Whoever missed C&C Owners missed out. Great weekend. Special mention to Bear Necessity and Watercolors, each of whom barbequed on the downwind legs then had everyone eating skewers on the rail going back to windward. Bear had different food with a different marinade for each upwind. Pure class.

post-3317-041842600 1341256999_thumb.jpg

Absolutely a great weekend, although the BBQing was a little tougher than expected. Anyone have tips for lighting the Q upwind? Most races took us half the upwind just to get it started.

Thanks Barkley and NYC. Official BBQ fleet next year?

post-3317-052666800 1341257221_thumb.jpg

PCYC Open Regatta this weekend.

Great numbers for registration so far, 36 in IRC with more to come, J24 and Melges 20s have large fleets too.

The band on Saturday night is fabulous, especially after a few pints, believe we are all in for a fun time.

Scratch sheet

On another note....I'm looking for section of Tuff Luff or similar foil, about 2 feet long, it's worth a couple beers.

post-3317-041842600 1341256999_thumb.jpg

Absolutely a great weekend, although the BBQing was a little tougher than expected. Anyone have tips for lighting the Q upwind? Most races took us half the upwind just to get it started.

Thanks Barkley and NYC. Official BBQ fleet next year?

post-3317-052666800 1341257221_thumb.jpg

Very nice! cool.gif

I'm pretty sure there's a length of carbofoil in a pile of junk on the south wall of casa ballman at ABYC.

I'm pretty sure there's a length of carbofoil in a pile of junk on the south wall of casa ballman at ABYC.

Thank you, I'll by heading down later tonight for some grub and pint.

Current LO300 forecast suggests we may just stop sailing at Niagara on Friday and call it the Youngstown delivery.

Youngstown last weekend was awesome,

The RC on Bravo managed to get five races in on Saturday and two on a very fickle Sunday.

Great work, other RC’s could take lessons from these people.

We got 4 on saturday and 3 on sunday on the big boat course. 4 was enough. so exhausted.

Anybody else deliver to Oswego or Rochester Sunday night? Magic magic sail. Clear sky, almost full moon. Generally 8 - 12 kts out of the south. We blasted across doing 6.5 - 7 on Norseman. Ran the motor a few times to keep on pace but generally amazing perfect flat water bright warm nightime sailing.

RC on Alpha course was equally good. Clear and consistent communications, great operations. A joy to sail with these guys.

The RC on Bravo managed to get five races in on Saturday and two on a very fickle Sunday.

Great work, other RC's could take lessons from these people.

RC on Alpha course was equally good. Clear and consistent communications, great operations. A joy to sail with these guys.

The RC on Echo was equally awesome juggling 4 very diverse fleets. I think the Kirby 25's got 5 races on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.

We got 4 and 2. JohnCrawley was entertaining as always.

The party was great and the venue was, well, Youngstown!

Can't wait for next year

Really must get my act together and do another levels...

Was always a blast, and if that amount of racing is being done would be even better!

Don Finkel always puts on a good show!

Mkf

centennial race was a wonderful day of perfect sailing weather and the freeman was just a fantastic night

skipping lyra course racing to deliver an aircraft carrier this weekend

The RC on Echo was equally awesome juggling 4 very diverse fleets. I think the Kirby 25's got 5 races on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.

We got 4 and 2. JohnCrawley was entertaining as always.

The party was great and the venue was, well, Youngstown!

Can't wait for next year

I think that you mean John Weakley, not John Crawley. I highly object to being mistaken for Mr. Pith Helmet.

He is a lot older than me and not nearly as handsome.

I was only in Youngstown on Friday afternoon to help with ratings, I then went home.

John Crawley

Open Invitation to the 2012 QCYC Open - Saturday, September 8th

Just wanted to plug the Queen City Regatta - as usual, registrations are slow in coming in, but be assured that we'll have the best wind and the best party of the season :)

Oh, and you can walk away with a free sail, just for showing up. Like last year, we'll draw at 8pm on Saturday night from all registered skippers who showed up to race.

Beer from Creemore, lots of other prizes from PredictWind.com, Timberland, and local boat shops.

For more info: www.qcyc.ca

to register: www.lorc.org

See you there!

Mark MacRae

Chair, QCYC Open Regatta

Hi Mark...how is the depth at QCYC these days?

We draw 7ft and a little nervous about the entrance?

We will definitely be racing....best party of the season, you put on a fabulous event.

The last LORC bash of the season is this Saturday at ABYC following the Summerville Race.

ABYC puts on a fabulous event, with a live band, and great food.

This will also be the LORC Awards night, trophies and flags will be presented for 2012 Regatta Series, and for the Summerville.

Even if you are not racing, drop by for pint on Saturday night, enjoy the music, and hang out with racers for one last gathering of the season.

No reason not to race either, registration is FREE for PHRF boats, it's a fun race with very good RC.

For those of you who have not done an LORC event, this is the perfect introduction, highly recommended.

Details here…http://www.lorc.org/

fun race - we don't get wind like that too often

everyone who didn't come out missed a good ride

Anyone leave a #2 genoa by Doyle flaked in a light brown sausage bag under a tree at the National YC?

fun race - we don't get wind like that too often

everyone who didn't come out missed a good ride

video here....

as the season draws to a close, id just like to remind everyone to keep an eye on their stuff and lock up your outboards. we have already had one walk from my club.

Just a reminder for the LORC Participants' Meting, this Thursday at National YC.

Excerpt from Wendy's newsletter...

"I am extending to all of you and your crew an invitation to attend the LORC Participants' Meting this year, to be held at NYC on Thursday, November 8 at 7 pm. Bring your thoughts about what worked, especially, as well as what didn't. Simply criticizing is never productive, but putting forth positive ideas for change is always welcome. If there were aspects of the events or the overall season that need improvement, please let us know, but let's not focus on things that are out of our control, such as races being delayed due to problematic winds, or drifting marks. Our Race Committee volunteers do their best, even if they are not always perfect, and we should all be grateful to them for their willingness to be out there on weekends.

I look forward to meeting you at this year's Participants' Meeting.

Wendy,

Chair, LORC"

Tonight's LORC meeting…some items up for discussion, single day regattas vs. two day regattas, there is a suggestion to replace some Sat-Sunday regattas with racing on Saturday only. LORC currently has 4 two day regattas and 1 Saturday only regatta, at a rate of one regatta per month. Switching some 2 day regattas to single day events may then open the door for additional single day regattas. Possibly 2 or 3 Sat-Sun regattas and maybe 3 single day events. This may also require a change in the traditional schedule we've become accustomed too.

LORC Offshore series should be discussed also.

Throw in Youngstown, LYRA, Bronte Rocks, LO300, and there is no shortage of racing in the Toronto area.

There is also talk of LYRA 2014 being in Toronto and possibly the 2014 IRC North Americans too.

So lots going on, lots to talk about, join in tonight at National Yacht Club 7pm, the bar will be open.

From my perspective one day events are a negative in terms of lorc participation. I tend to do something else (i.e. cottage or a different regatta) instead of one day sailing/one day laundry.

Well hopefully there is a decent turnout and folks come and have their say.

For me almost 4hrs travel each way to PCYC for 3 or 4 hours of racing on a Saturday, if there's wind??, at least with two days it improves the chances of good weather.

Flipside is, some feel it is easier to get crew for a single day rather than two.

It might be a phase-in process, try a single day event here and there, and see what the outcome is before it's carved in stone.

Should be a good meeting.

Tonight's LORC meeting…some items up for discussion, single day regattas vs. two day regattas, there is a suggestion to replace some Sat-Sunday regattas with racing on Saturday only. LORC currently has 4 two day regattas and 1 Saturday only regatta, at a rate of one regatta per month. Switching some 2 day regattas to single day events may then open the door for additional single day regattas. Possibly 2 or 3 Sat-Sun regattas and maybe 3 single day events. This may also require a change in the traditional schedule we've become accustomed too.

LORC Offshore series should be discussed also.

Throw in Youngstown, LYRA, Bronte Rocks, LO300, and there is no shortage of racing in the Toronto area.

There is also talk of LYRA 2014 being in Toronto and possibly the 2014 IRC North Americans too.

So lots going on, lots to talk about, join in tonight at National Yacht Club 7pm, the bar will be open.

How did the meeting go?

LYRA is at National next ('13) year, Toronto again in 2014, which club would be on the short list?

I'll be at NYC saturday

Carv

The LORC meeting was very positive, the format remains the same, 4 two day regattas and 1 single day.

RCYC Open maybe two weeks later then previous years, and the PCYC Regatta maybe one week earlier.

Both date changes were well supported. It will provide some breathing room on the calendar between events. This will be confirmed in the next few weeks.

PCYC confirmed that they would announce results and award flags on the Sunday after racing, very good news.

Positive comments all around regarding regatta management and especially for the on water Race Committees

There was a discussion about organizing a social event, possibly a pre-season pub night, just to get everyone together and shot the breeze. Also an end of season awards night, ABYC has provide this the past 2 season, but there maybe other options, input from the participants is needed here.

And a bunch of other items discussed overall a very good meeting.

ABYC is on the LYRA 2014 short list, I fully support ABYC. I think it would benefit LYRA to be in the GTA for two consecutive years, in the hopes it may build a following, and become an event that more people here recognize and want to be a part of in the future.

The LORC Annual General Meeting will be at NYC on Wednesday December 5, at 7pm.

Each member club is entitled to 1 vote.

OYS recently lost all its members under 40 because the commodore and rear commodore refused to deal with a club member who is a known pervert. He just happens to be friends with the two flag officers. I would steer clears of that place.

Helluva first post there, Yonder. I'll definitely be calling some buds at my alma mater to get the scoop. I'm curious - how did this member earn the title or reputation of "pervert". Is this based on their behaviour at the club or has this person a convicted sex offender?

Personally I don't think it's the board's job to babysit the membership... If there is harassment or assault going on then the police should be involved and the offender's conduct is controlled that way. It's tremendously awkward for board volunteers to deal with peer behavior issues, and in my opinion it's not really fair to task them with that. The membership should be accountable for themselves and if illegal stuff is happening then the membership should get the legal system involved.

With that said, my comments are general, as I have no idea what is going on at OYS.

Oh OYHC still exists, it's a club within a club. They continue to keep the executive committee stacked to ensure there agenda is followed closely.

Rumour has it, that the Commodore and Rear Commodore approved spending $18,000 in legal fees to remove a member from the club this year.

Holla, yes OHYC clowns were the driving force behind the entire situation. And yes $18000.00 was spent on removing a member (who was also a board member) from the club. It's a very unfortunate situation when egos of a few ruin it for the majority. There are some great people at OYS, but I fear the club is doomed with the impending lease negotiation with the town of Oakville and the willful loss of its youth membership. The club will be municipalized and fall by the wayside. The powers that be worry more about new BBQ's and bar revenue then they do about racing or cruising or sailing in general. When the people that run any yacht club only use their boats 4 or 5 times a season and really have no active involvement in sailing there is real trouble. I'm just warning young sailors to stay the hell away, there are other options in town that strive to promote youth, not stifle them.

Planning on heading down Wednesday afternoon.

Shopping list??......maybe a new heastay foil, jib halyard and a couple of stanchions.

If the regulars are meeting at that pub, post the date and location, and I'll try to make it this year.

Well, I just got off a brand spanking new J/70, was grateful to be invited along on the boat's very first sail after the boat first touched the water. !

Shopping list??......maybe a new heastay foil, jib halyard and a couple of stanchions.

If the regulars are meeting at that pub, post the date and location, and I'll try to make it this year.

This regular can't make it this year. I'm off to Cozumel tomorrow...

This regular can't make it this year. I'm off to Cozumel tomorrow...

this regular cant make it, im in california.

Everyone should stop by the OYS booth at the boatshow. Almost everyone featured in the video they are playing are the people that resigned. They should really have a video of blue hairs not sailing and hanging out on their derelict boats getting drunk and complaining about anyone under the age of 40.

Everyone should stop by the OYS booth at the boatshow. Almost everyone featured in the video they are playing are the people that resigned. They should really have a video of blue hairs not sailing and hanging out on their derelict boats getting drunk and complaining about anyone under the age of 40.

Strike, strike the bell!

W in TF???

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:54:03

Subject: Youngstown Level Regatta Important Announcement

News from the 2013 Youngstown Level Regatta event:

Most readers know of, and have probably sailed in, one or more Levels over our 39 year history. The final Youngstown Level, our 40th, will take place the weekend of July 27-28, 2013. We have special plans for this year and you won't want to miss it, we want our 40th and last Level to be memorable.

When we started the Level in 1974 with 20 boats we had no idea at the time that it would grow to become one of the largest and most popular events on the Great Lakes, three times exceeding 400 boats including an amazing 466 boats one year. (I think that was the year Heather was ready to commit me to the institution). But times have changed and we want to change with them.

Therefore this year's event will be the last Level as you have come to know it. Starting in 2014 we will hold a totally new and different event on the same weekend at the end of July. We are not getting out of the regatta game, only changing tacks if you will. However, the new event will not resemble the Level so you had better make plans to be in Youngstown this July so you can say you were here.

We are keeping plans for 2014 under wraps for now and you will know in due course what those will be. We ask you to go to Yacht Scoring now and register for Level 40 to help us with our planning and encourage others to sign up as well: http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=743

Don Finkle

Race Chair

Didn't see that one coming. Looks like that weekend will be an automatic on the schedule.

The last "Youngstown" ever, I can only imagine what will happen.

Jesus!

Can I book a dockside berth for Dominique Now? We are planning on bringing the J22, and using the First 35 as the "Condo".

Do the Doyle's know about this? Might have to Charter Bumblebee to have a final Grudger against Rocking Chair! If I can get the boat i'm bringing Dave Parker for his final hoorah at YYC. I'd love to see Will and Dave exchange war stories after a billion cocktails.

Either way someone on my crew is going to Win the party!

I've been there on a J24, M24,J22 and now ???????

The Train Wreck crew WILL be in attendance!

BTW we are looking for a 6 foot plus 205lb. bowman for the J22 worlds in Newport, if you need a ride.

No more Levels? The end of a Lake Ontario Institution. Where is the C&C 29 World Championships going to be held?????

Making plans for the End now.

I know Skip wasn't on Rocking Chair last year...wonder if he'll give it a go this time?

The replacement Youngstown " Regatta " will be restricted to boats 35 feet and up and will be run under the old IOR as it was commensurate with decent cheque books. No more crappy little under 30 foot boats with their poverty stricken crews of Rolling Rock and Peppermint Schnaups drinkers cluttering up the moorings. The new festival will be classy including a requirement of period dress and classical music at all times. You little people will be allowed to clean the water lines of your betters. Give you J types something to aspire to eh what?

nomore crappy 30-35 footers either I guess. Good thing is that when you pay you get a pickle with the SI's

Insert before the start. Dip it champagne to lub before inserting! Make sure you're wearing Camet padded shorts after inserting pickle.

Are you part of the new cabal? You seem so knowledgeable. Your verbiage seems to be special speak. Are you special? Have you heard whether you will get free PS&RR while you clean water lines? Was the pickle your idea? From experience?

Prefer a smaller fast boat thank you. That's my shitbox in my avatar! My Figaro has some pedigree.

That big bum keeps her from death rolling downwind when we are passing 40 footers

Only 10 ft back there. I owned the old Barca Nostra 3/4 tonner for 15 yrs and that was a pretty boa,t but the old IOR boats were pretty scary downwind in a blow lol

so true but that was much of the fun. I had a C&C39 which was the queen of death rollers. It was great and we pushed her to the limit.......perhaps that was a function of youth as well. Can't get guys with zimmer frames to crew anymore. Sadly I don't like fat bums on boats or otherwise. The current fad of making big dinghies is part of the death of designers and sailors competing with design and build components. Also your passing people is clearly on a flat lake and reaching/running. I doubt you would be so sanguine on a 300 mile race in 25 knots +. I would take an IOR 40+ over your flivver anyday in those conditions. You have a nice big fat dinghy that surfs. Yippeeee !

Actually the Figaro was made for the Tour de France and many have crossed the Atlantic double and single handed

I have done the 300 many times on that boat and have done well

You do not know what those boats are capable of.

Boat comes alive in 20 + knots downwind

Painfull upwind in over 25 unless you have a lot of meat on the rail or the water ballast installed

Most boats are,