Centurion

Lake Ontario Anarchy

Very happy over on Bravo course as well. 4 great races for the 105's and 3 for the rest of us which was just fine by me for the first full day of the year.

Looking forward to the lake warming up a bit.

Geez...I kinda, almost agree with davidprobable... well, actually I do.

I'm sorry SA.

2 years ago, I spent a Saturday morning getting my boat weighed and sails measured by jcc. Since I was just recovering from health issues at the time, I didn't need an IRC cert right away and asked if I could hold off filing for the cert. The next year, I felt I was ready to do a couple of IRC regattas and asked if I could get the cert. I needed to get the boat re-weighed and measured and now I needed to get my sails measured by a sailmaker. To go through all the effort again, take my sails to a loft for measurement and pay the IRC fee isn't worth it to race in 1 or 2 regattas.

CAN217:

Unless you have made changes to the boat, you do not have to re-weigh. Unless you have made changes to your sails, then you do not have to re-measure them. If you have purchased new sails, then your sailmaker should provide a measurement certificate with the sail.

Might I suggest that there is a huge number of boats in the west of the lake with owners/skippers that would like to race once in a while but cannot be bothered with the bureaucracy and hassle involved in getting their boat measured/ rated. It really is a pain in the ass process for most people that just like to sail. This is why you have non organized racing between boats just out for a sail on a sunny day. No one wins and no one loses and everyone gets a drink at the bar and there is lots of good hearted chatter and ribbing. Why does everything have to be organized by self important people. Sure top end racing needs this, but everyone else considers it an imposition at best. The coastal concept is a start. Pursuit races are a start. You want turn out of people that might want to try organized IRC racing, then get everyone out for a fun race with minimal rule imposition and just a race around a triangle or whatever. Make it like a poker run with cards assigned at each turning mark perhaps. Just anything or something to stop this bloody organizational fetish that just turns the vast majority of sailors off. You keen organized rule fetish racers and your bureaucrats of organization are a huge minority and are basically killing the desire to race in the vast majority. Do the math.

David:

Some people do want to race, look at the LORC regattas, Susan Hood, Lake Ontario 300, LOSHR's etc. The problem, if it is a problem, is that the majority of boats racing in the Toronto area prefer to race One Design. We have J 105, J 24's, Melges 20's, Etchells, J 80's, J 27's,8 Metres and Beneteau 36.7's racing in LORC races, the OD fleets made up 77% of the fleet at the ABYC Open Regatta, IRC made up the other 23%. There was also a point to point race for PHRF boats, 14 boats did the point to point race. ABYC has tried to encourage more PHRF participation by offering a reduced entry fee with littly success. RCYC stopped offering a PHRF division last year and starte the Offshore Rallye for PHRF boats, they had about 30 boats, mostly non racers from RCYC, but they got boat out.

Getting a PHRF certificate is very simple.talk to your club PHRF handicapper and he will heip measure your sails. The application form is quite simple, and the certificate only costs about $30.00. The $30.00 certificate is valid in races anywhere on Lake Ontrio, Lake Simcoe or Georgian Bay. IRC has a few boats outside the Toronto area, but the majority of IRC certificates are from boats in the Toronto area. An IRC certificate is expensive compared to a PHRF certificate at around $20.00 per meter of boat length. The certificiate is valid anywhere in the world where IRC is used. IRC involves gettng measured and possibley weiged (an option) measurement is relatively cheap as is weighing.

IRC will provide a provisional rating for boats that want to try it, they can race 2 regattas with a provisional rating, if they want to race any more races, then they need to get a certificate.IRC is a rule for "Cruiser/Racers" it gives credit for full interiors and cruising features and penalizes non cruisey feaures, for instance removing a tale is a 3.6 second per hour penalty. So for the more serious racer where there is no OD racing, IRC is a good fit.

JCC everything you say is probably correct but its very detail causes most sailors to glaze over and put on the auto pilot. Serious racing starts when you are young mostly , and hopefully translates into family status and big boats as you age. This is the point where you decide whether organized bureaucratic documented racing remains of value. Look at the number of boats you are talking about. Couple of hundred serious racers willing to be measured? How many keel boats in the Golden Triangle? 10,000 maybe? The point is most all sailors like to race anyone out there on the water. It is just a natural desire of a sailor. We don't like being passed. A race is automatic. Wouldn't it be nice to capture these types into a race format with no bureaucracy to speak of? I have no idea how this can be done but I do know spur of the moment racing is far more active than bureaucratic racing. In fact I believe it is what keeps big boat acquisition and use ultimately viable. Organized bureaucratic racing will always be there for some. The vast majority of boaters just like jousting.....like pick up ball hockey. A pity YC's which are always run by those with a need to lead and create bureaucracy, can't realize this and harness it to the betterment of their Club. Its how you find people willing to take the next step to the organized rigid level. Many times I have urged people to try organized racing and after one try they report back "f..k that"......they come to the line and are yelled at and abused verbally and mocked.......racers can't help but be bullies......the rules call for bullying. 30+ years ago I was doing a fun race with Easter Seals kids and on my flush deck 46 we had kids in wheel chairs lashed to the deck. We were taken up by an 8 M helmed by the son of a Trust Company owner. Scared the kids all to hell. He didn't care......its just racing! rcyc ignored the obvious protest. That's when I stopped racing what was IOR A at the time and sold the boat. So, sorry for ranting, but I think racing is killing itself. The gentlemen that were in it at the time, like Syd and Bernie and Paul, have mostly all died. cheers.

A great ABYC Open regatta, excluding the windless Sunday. A big shout out to the organizers, the food and the rum were were top notch.

Alpha course RC did a fantastic job, 4 perfect races on Saturday, and 110% effort on Sunday, well done and thank you.

Agree on all points. Made the 2 cold lake crossing worthwhile. Friday may have been the coldest night i've ever spent on a boat

Geez...I kinda, almost agree with davidprobable... well, actually I do.

I'm sorry SA.

2 years ago, I spent a Saturday morning getting my boat weighed and sails measured by jcc. Since I was just recovering from health issues at the time, I didn't need an IRC cert right away and asked if I could hold off filing for the cert. The next year, I felt I was ready to do a couple of IRC regattas and asked if I could get the cert. I needed to get the boat re-weighed and measured and now I needed to get my sails measured by a sailmaker. To go through all the effort again, take my sails to a loft for measurement and pay the IRC fee isn't worth it to race in 1 or 2 regattas.

CAN217:

Unless you have made changes to the boat, you do not have to re-weigh. Unless you have made changes to your sails, then you do not have to re-measure them. If you have purchased new sails, then your sailmaker should provide a measurement certificate with the sail.

No changes were made to the boat or sails. Your email stated you had to remeasure float lines and I had to get a sailmaker to measure my sails. I'd be happy to send you the emails, I still have them.

JCC everything you say is probably correct but its very detail causes most sailors to glaze over and put on the auto pilot. Serious racing starts when you are young mostly , and hopefully translates into family status and big boats as you age. This is the point where you decide whether organized bureaucratic documented racing remains of value. Look at the number of boats you are talking about. Couple of hundred serious racers willing to be measured? How many keel boats in the Golden Triangle? 10,000 maybe? The point is most all sailors like to race anyone out there on the water. It is just a natural desire of a sailor. We don't like being passed. A race is automatic. Wouldn't it be nice to capture these types into a race format with no bureaucracy to speak of? I have no idea how this can be done but I do know spur of the moment racing is far more active than bureaucratic racing. In fact I believe it is what keeps big boat acquisition and use ultimately viable. Organized bureaucratic racing will always be there for some. The vast majority of boaters just like jousting.....like pick up ball hockey. A pity YC's which are always run by those with a need to lead and create bureaucracy, can't realize this and harness it to the betterment of their Club. Its how you find people willing to take the next step to the organized rigid level. Many times I have urged people to try organized racing and after one try they report back "f..k that"......they come to the line and are yelled at and abused verbally and mocked.......racers can't help but be bullies......the rules call for bullying. 30+ years ago I was doing a fun race with Easter Seals kids and on my flush deck 46 we had kids in wheel chairs lashed to the deck. We were taken up by an 8 M helmed by the son of a Trust Company owner. Scared the kids all to hell. He didn't care......its just racing! rcyc ignored the obvious protest. That's when I stopped racing what was IOR A at the time and sold the boat. So, sorry for ranting, but I think racing is killing itself. The gentlemen that were in it at the time, like Syd and Bernie and Paul, have mostly all died. cheers.

dave, id lend more credence to what you say if you actually sailed in the last 15 years, much more if you raced.

99 boats registered for the Susan Hood. Given the temperatures I'm impressed.

And the kick off to losh.

102 for the Hood and 104 registered for Loshrs.....going to be a great weekend

watch out for those grampions. i hear they have upped the game.

So.... who had fun at the Hood this weekend? The first half of the race was painful but the second half was fun. It was a lot warmer than last year too!

MH

(guest appearance as the token Canadian on J/92 Switch)

If PN is already at PCYC we are all in trouble!

Thanks.....The Necklace crossed the line at 12:15.

What a ride from from the Hammer to Niagara, A3 up and blasting in the sunrise. A sail I will not soon forget - made the 9 hour light air trek to Hamilton worth every minute.

Turned out to be a great race eh?

Can some one explain the division splits at losh?

Really happy the race was Friday/Saturday instead of Saturday/Sunday. I can accept a bad finish instead of 12 hours of drenched frozen hell.

Sunday may have been the coldest race ever! Why is it that I have to keep learning how important it is to consolidate with the fleet? Left paid big time the 1st time....and killed us the 2nd.

protest in what race?

Anybody have the inside scoop on the protest that is going tow hearing this weekend?

Port /starboard collision with significant damage to both boats near dawn Saturday morning. If you know the players you can probably guess who was on port...

And if history repeats, the boat on strbd won't see a penny.

Looking forward to doing our very first LOSH race, 28 miles of beam reaching and then a big social gathering in Youngstown.

Hoping the rain holds off and this easterly maintains, it will make for a nice delivery to PC and the gal and I can get in some double handed spinnaker practice (aka, work out our differences) before the starting line tomorrow!!!.

Epic race on Sat with great conditions. Where else on the planet can you still get $2 pints? Love the Jug! Sun left me wet and cold (and really hungover) but still a great sail. Congrats to Pearl for winning 1st overall both ways at this weekends LOSH race. Doesn't seem to matter what the conditions are.....he just wins. Awesome stuff!

Losh is a great serise. Missing it terribly this year.

It would ce nice if boats would follow the rules during starts

Seems like no one cares who is on starboard or leeward they just sail whatever path they want and refuse to give way

Otherwise a great weekend of racing

Otherwise a great weekend of racing

Oh.... You were in that start. No surprise.

The boat you are complaining about can't get out of its own way, much less yours. But be careful. It has killed before and will kill again.

I'm told the one I was thinking of didn't race this past weekend, but there are others.

So it's now been 5 days since the finish of the RCYC Open Regatta's Balmy Beach Offshore Rally. For the first couple of days they had a note up saying results would be posted as soon as possible, then for the last 3 days they've had this up:

rcyc open results for balmy beach offshore rally - will be posted shortly

Unfortunately, the Offshore Rally hit the time limit with many boats still out on the course. Due to these circumstances the results have been delayed. We will be posting these shortly. Thank you for your patience!

This is ridiculous......

So it's now been six days. How difficult can it be to score one race with 24 boats in 4 divisions?

We sailed our boats over there at some ungodly hour for one race.

They happily collected our $75, now how about some results? If it's totally screwed up, tell us! The silence is perhaps the most annoying.

4 or 5 years ago I entered this regatta and had such a sour experience I didn't go back. Until this year. That was clearly a mistake.

If what they are trying to do is rid themselves of the 4 ksb fleet, they are being very effective.

I won't go back.

huh...... apsc is averaging a day delay.

Five-Fifteen will be there. It is usually one of our favourite regattas as we get to chase IMXtreme around and get our butts kicked by them. Good for them on doing the Mac this year, best of luck, we will certainly miss them.

So, a week ago they posted another announcement saying they were working on it and were "hoping" to post results by Monday the 29th.... Right.

What a joke.

Can we get a refund on our entry fee?

So it's now been six days. How difficult can it be to score one race with 24 boats in 4 divisions?

We sailed our boats over there at some ungodly hour for one race.

They happily collected our $75, now how about some results? If it's totally screwed up, tell us! The silence is perhaps the most annoying.

4 or 5 years ago I entered this regatta and had such a sour experience I didn't go back. Until this year. That was clearly a mistake.

If what they are trying to do is rid themselves of the 4 ksb fleet, they are being very effective.

I won't go back.

Any of you Skids at Port Credit this weekend?

Skids burning Skids!!

Pin Head! What's up, Bud? No PCYC this year I'm afraid. Some of us were being skids on the island. Hope all is well in the Ra-cha-cha.

Youngstown is listed as the 2nd Can Am Regatta Sat-Sun 25-26, not the Youngstown Level Regatta ( http://www.yyc.org)as stated on the LORC website. http://www.lorc.org/Schedule2015.htm

From the YYC site: "The 2015 Can Am Challenge will take place on July 25-26, 2015. The Challenge takes the finishes of the boats from Canada vs. boats from the USA and calculates a winning country. In 2014, Canada came out on top! Register today and help your country win the Challenge! This regatta replaces the Level Regatta and will feature one design racing of keelboats of all sizes."

Who is going, just over two weeks to go and gets us out of Toronto for the 2015 Pan Am games July 10-26.

anyone going to LYRA? Or, know someone who is?

Looks like it will be boats from the east end of the lake, 8 metres and R - Boats.

I will be on the R - Boat Gypsy.

I would love to LYRA, however I am short some crew,

Need at least one for Centennial race, a few for the Freeman, and possibly 4 for course racing.

PM me if interested.

Some sad news also, Our foredeck guy since 2003, Chris passed away from cancer last weekend, his last regatta was in August at EYC, he looked great and he had blast as we finally beat IMXtreme in a race. Anyone who know him, liked him, a great bowman, and even better as person. We will certainly miss his mop of curly dark hair and that infectious smile. RIP my friend.

Need at least one for Centennial race, a few for the Freeman, and possibly 4 for course racing.

PM me if interested.

Some sad news also, Our foredeck guy since 2003, Chris passed away from cancer last weekend, his last regatta was in August at EYC, he looked great and he had blast as we finally beat IMXtreme in a race. Anyone who know him, liked him, a great bowman, and even better as person. We will certainly miss his mop of curly dark hair and that infectious smile. RIP my friend.

Truly sorry for your loss my friend.......I'll have a sunset drink and a toast to him on the LO300 this week

PM me if interested.

My condolences, 515 to you and your crew/family.

LORC PARTICIPANTS' MEETING and AGM

This is YOUR chance to tell us (and the clubs who host the events) what YOU want to see in racing and what you did not like. This is not for complaining about race committee volunteers, for without them we would have no racing.

Be sure to come to have your opinions, thoughts, compliments and great ideas heard.

The LORC AGM will be held immediately after the Participants' Meeting. Club representatives should ensure attendance at the Participants' Meeting to hear from the paying customers on what worked and what didn't.

Where: National Yacht Club, Chart Room

When: Wednesday, December 2 at 6:30 pm

PARTY TIME and AWARDS Presentations

LORC will be hosting the awards presentations for LORC and IRC Awards. Come for a bite and a beverage and bring your crew to celebrate the winners and losers of the 2015 season.

So that we know how much food to order, RSVP your confirmation and the number of guests you are bringing no later than Friday, December 4.

Where: National Yacht Club, Chart Room

When: Wednesday, December 9 at 7:00 pm.

Reminder, tonight….6:30pm

LORC PARTICIPANTS' MEETING and AGM

National Yacht Club, Chart Room

This is YOUR chance to tell us (and the clubs who host the events) what YOU want to see in racing and what you did not like. This is not for complaining about race committee volunteers, for without them we would have no racing.

Be sure to come to have your opinions, thoughts, compliments and great ideas heard.

The LORC AGM will be held immediately after the Participants' Meeting. Club representatives should ensure attendance at the Participants' Meeting to hear from the paying customers on what worked and what didn't.

LYRA 2015

So LYRA is at Whitby this year, anyone know what the dates and start points for the feeder races are? Is there a definitive sched posted anywhere?

Preliminary...

Monday, 25 July, Centennial Cup Race (Youngstown to Whitby)

Tuesday, 26 July, Founders’ Cup Race West (Toronto to Whitby)

Tuesday, 26 July, Founders’ Cup Race East (Cobourg to Whitby)

Last time LYRA was at Whitby i had planned to finish the centennial and then turn left and do founders, but it was cancelled with only 2 entries. That will be my plan again this year so i hope more from TO will sign up.

A dump of snow right after a weekend with 16+ degrees. This is a nutty winter. I'm really looking forward to launch....is it too soon to start a countdown?

A dump of snow right after a weekend with 16+ degrees. This is a nutty winter. I'm really looking forward to launch....is it too soon to start a countdown?

It's supposed to get up to 9C next week. Count away.

Yeah, I think after this latest snowfall we are finally in the clear. Here's hoping, anyhow.

It's supposed to get up to 9C next week. Count away.

I got 13°C next weds. Goodbye snow, goodbye ice on the Lake.

Anyone do the CAN AM Challenge at YYC last year? I'm trying to set up our calendar of events for this year and am considering it. I don't have a 1 design boat and am concerned that it won't be worth it.

LORC regatta registration now open.

A new regatta has been added to the schedule this season, the National, Aug 13.

LORC also offers a 10% discount for those who register in advance for the full season.

ABYC Regatta, May 28 & 29

RCYC Open Regatta, June 18 & 19

PCYC Open Regatta, July 9 & 10

NYC Open Regatta, August 13

EYC Open and Levels Regatta, August 27 & 28

QCYC Open Regatta, September 10

I'm trying to track down a boat that used to live at the west end of the lake. It was a farr 727 that was originally called Slapshot. The latest name that i can find of the same boat is FarrSide. It was the 727 that had the cut out transom. If anyone has any info on where she might be now please shoot me a PM.

I'm trying to track down a boat that used to live at the west end of the lake. It was a farr 727 that was originally called Slapshot. The latest name that i can find of the same boat is FarrSide. It was the 727 that had the cut out transom. If anyone has any info on where she might be now please shoot me a PM.

Found her cheers for the help.

Since we're only expecting it to snow this weekend, no freezing rain, I decided it's time to start thinking about sailing. Looking for 2-3 crew with dinghy/sportboat racing experience for a Melges 20.

PM me if interested. Sailing out of PCYC on the weeknights (Thursday) and occasional weekend (RCYC Open, PCYC Open).

No, no photos and I don't give a damn about the rating.....

Wonderful. How exactly does this help me with crew on Lake Ontario?

Finally?? It is still a month away. After such a pleasant winter, Spring is being rather unpleasant.

However, once the racing season begins, it's going to be very active, lots going this summer.

Okay.....it's finally sailing season. Anybody splashed yet? I think we are still 2 weeks away. Itching to get out there.

Launch date set for May 7th. Sailpast on the 21st and first race not till early June. Lots of practice scheduled for this year in prep for worlds in August.

Thisbe_8Can9 Don't you also have the 8 Metre North Americans and Canada's Cup as well. Sounds like a busy summer for the 8's

Hadn't heard about it. Should be fun to watch. Looks quick. Where is it located?

I've heard that there is a Soto 40 in town?

And the new Spitfire, a Farr 45 is on it's way.

That's a couple of very sweet boats.

And a GP 26 will be a nice addition too.

Soto will be doing LOSHRS etc and distance racing double handed. Probably not W/L stuff.

Out of PCYC

Soto will be doing LOSHRS etc and distance racing double handed. Probably not W/L stuff.

Out of PCYC

thats and absolute bear of a boat to do short handed series.

Out of PCYC

thats and absolute bear of a boat to do short handed series.

Not to bad, we have been racing the Farr 400 in Double Handed series, works ok as long as your not coming up to a lee shore at 20 knots with an A2 up...thank god for top down furlers!

Hadn't heard about it. Should be fun to watch. Looks quick. Where is it located?

The boat is back in the Classified here. What happened?

1st Regatta over, thanks to the RC on Bravo course Saturday, they did a great job in trying conditions and kept the fleets informed.

100+ boats entered in the Hood. Extended forecast looks light. Can't wait to get out there. Love this race