• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Centurion

Lake Ontario Anarchy

Looking in from afar, seems that the South Shore is very quiet these days.

Grew up in Rochester sailing an "R" boat and family cruisers out of Sodus Bay YC back in the 60-70's, now in SFBay where we do have wind.

I was bartending at SBYC for LYRA in '74 or '75. Missed racing, but it was a great party.

Had one of the Toronto R boat crews decide to "cool down" the bar at 0200 with a garden hose, and then wake the crew at 0800 with bagpipes on the foredeck.

Glory days...

The 8 Metre World Championships are starting this weekend and are hosted by the RCYC. Racing starts Sunday with the practice race at 1300, and 1100 everyday except Thursday for the rest of the week. 5 countries are represented this year and 12 boats will be on the course, 6 moderns and 6 classics including the King of Norway's 8M "Sira". Both of the Canada's Cup boats, Yquem for the USA and Hollandia for Canada will also be racing but not with Canada's Cup crews. Racing will take place south of Centennial pier with each race scheduled to be around 2 hours in length. 2 races a day are planned. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we have some good racing.

I'd love to hear from the Gramps guys how their race went. Must have really kept her moving. I'm curious what times they rounded marks and point of sail.

The Gramp Guys would love to share with you! Buy me a beer and a few rum chasers and I will tell all! We basically ran the rhumb line on a reach from start to finish with the exception of a bit of a nasty touch coming into Niagara when we had to beat into 20 knot gusts. We were side by side all the way with Onawa and Puffin until just before the big shift at Niagara and then lost Onawa, after the turn we chased Puffin all the way to the finish. They were reefed so we were able to hang onto them up the entire leg. Gramps love to reach it is definitely their fastest point of sail!

Well done gents

Fun race!!!!!!

Well done gents

Fun race!!!!!!

Looks like the two old guys on the old gramp were up to their tricks again in LOSHRS - Race #6 . The Cook had domestic duties for Race #5 or might have been a clean sweep for #'s 4,5 and 6!

Well done gents

Fun race!!!!!!

Well done gents

Fun race!!!!!!

Thanks Pearl, missed you this weekend did you do Dalhousie?

I was in Toronto Wednesday. The all yacht clubs are having problems with the water level of Lake Ontario. One club has docks 5 inches below the water level. And water levels peak in June so I was told?

Can anyone explain why LO PHRF does not publish a full rating list with boat models? I am a PHRF rep in another region, and LO is one of the only places where I can't check ratings vs what they report to US Sailing. I would love to be wrong and find out that there is a list I can look at which includes boat models.

Cheers

LO PHRF does not publish class lists so that boat owners have to actually get a certificate.

They may provide a list on request for you in your role as a handicapper.

15 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

LO PHRF does not publish class lists so that boat owners have to actually get a certificate.

They may provide a list on request for you in your role as a handicapper.

why would you not publish the list, and require that the racers submit a pdf of their certificates?

If local clubs want to dodge the need for current certs, they can just take out of region numbers...

I contacted a helpful PHRF LO admin and got most of the information I was looking for.

So there was some guy from Ontario Sailing on CBC this morning and he was implying that clubs were cancelling racing and regattas.

Does anyone have any clear news on this? I know QCYC starts their season this morning (in spite of much of the land base being under water), what about ABYC Open? Is it a go?

flood.jpg

PCYC has started racing around the cans. Looks like the first race with any wind will be tonight. 

SHTR (going to be cold) has 81 entered and the 300 has 77......can't wait!

2 hours ago, tripper_dave said:

So there was some guy from Ontario Sailing on CBC this morning and he was implying that clubs were cancelling racing and regattas.

Does anyone have any clear news on this? I know QCYC starts their season this morning (in spite of much of the land base being under water), what about ABYC Open? Is it a go?

Dave,

We're currently trying to figure out what to do with the regatta in anticipation of water levels rising still higher in the coming weeks. Hopefully we'll have some kind of notice out to competitors in the next day or so.

Stay tuned for updates on the club website www.abyc.on.ca as well as the Facebook Event and through LORC.

there were carp swimming in the parking lot at apsc the other day.

Some great post race entertainment this Saturday at ABYC The Paul James Band at 3 pm, followed by the Suburban Outlaws at 7 pm.

Svanen what are they thinking? I have seen the people that use the Ideals. They certainly are not up to the VX. Royals must be trying to attract a totally different group. Maybe they will keep both fleets.

I know what you mean. RCYC is more of a country club (two swimming pools, lawn bowling, multiple tennis courts, squash, etc.) than a sailing club; and outside of some round-the-cans stuff in 8 metres and J/105s, it is not really active in racing. Perhaps they hope to change that.

Svanen, you are right about the pools, lawn bowling and tennis, sadly on the rest you are mistaken. Other than PCYC, I'm not seeing much competition from the north side of the lake for racing....which isn't saying a lot about others. 

It's a club sponsored fleet and I imagine there will be 15 by summer 2019. The Ideals will remain in place for a few more years at least as a LTS boat. 

Agreed, PCYC currently seems to be where it's at from a racing perspective. But National and ABYC also appear to have more active racing programs than RCYC.

RCYC is a decent club. It charges hefty dues, but so what: all the country club amenities - which a majority of its membership presumably value - have to be paid for. Some people say that it is snobby, but I have never found that to be the case.

What occasionally lets RCYC down are the pretensions of some (not all) of its members. It isn't 'the senior club in Canada' (for whatever that title is worth): RNSYS is. It isn't 'home to the best sailors in Canada' ... no one club is. And the fact that it has a royal warrant: yawn, so do many, many others (e.g., RBVIYC, RHYC, RLWYC, etc. etc.). 

It's just one of many options open to Toronto sailors looking for a club: nothing more or less.

Off the top of my head, the country club you guys speak of has in the last 12 months, hosted 8metre worlds, Canada's Cup, Opti worlds(must've been a hundred entries from South and North America, Caribbean, Europe, Asia), Shark worlds...maybe some that I'm missing?...Admittedly I don't pay much attention to whatever PHRF or beercan racing is going on during week nights and maybe this is stronger at some other clubs...I do like that PCYC has a couple of Melges 32s to duke it out on a regular basis though...

No question RCYC is big in 8 metre racing: which now includes the Canada's Cup.

Hosting events is great as far as it goes, but doesn't really mean much without active club participation. IIRC, the recent Shark Worlds had about a dozen boats competing from the club. Meanwhile, most RCYC Sharks sat idly by, their owners apparently couldn't be arsed (why even bother owning a Shark if you're not into racing?). And the last time the Shark Worlds were in Canada (2015, Britannia YC), only three RCYC boats competed.

A club raced shark that stays in the water all season has zero chance to compete in this type of race, so please go easy on the aging but very active fleet of club level shark sailors!!

As for Canada's Cup participation, to say that the club merely hosts the event from time to time ignores history, point blank. The fact that the club is strong in 8 metres is merely another chapter in the long history of the Cup. Up until the last challenge, the boat of record in recent years has been Farr40, and aside from the PCYC Vincere challenge, the last many challenges came from the country club, both training and race boats owned by members, training programs financed by members,  and many of the Corinthian crews comprised of club members. 

I will say, I dropped by PCYC one weekday evening last summer for a pint, happened to be in the area, and the beercan race scene seemed pretty active, and pretty chilled as well.

I've attached some info on the RCYC VX program, were nearly at 2 containers which will mean 14 VX's by next summer. A few other clubs on the north shore have expressed interest and are welcome to attend the info session. The idea is to have them participate in midweek racing from May - September, join in on 3 - 4 weekend regattas and also have 3 - 4 one day regattas through the summer. We are planning to keep the Ideal 18 and Sonar fleets as Club owned and used by their respective user groups for the foreseeable future. I'd also like to add that we do have a fairly active youth sailing program, approximately 300 youth go through it each summer, and spring and fall sailing is around 60 participants. 

We do want to see more active sailing at RCYC and the VX is one of the avenues that hopes to achieve that. 

2017 - Kwasind VX ONE.pdf 

Interesting to see all the Toronto posters. Maybe the VX will help Royals find a new group of younger active sailors. Someplace for those jr club graduates to go.

Re history, i go back to Poona when there was great competition among Olympic caliber corinthians. Big boats and dinghies.

Wheres the Pope on this subject?

On 2017-09-29 at 11:05 AM, fufkin said:

[A]side from the PCYC Vincere challenge, the last many challenges came from the country club, both training and race boats owned by members, training programs financed by members,  and many of the Corinthian crews comprised of club members.

RCYC's longstanding dominance of Canadian challenges and defences is described pretty thoroughly in Doug Hunter's Against the Odds: the incredible story of Evergreen and the Canada's Cup (1981). Anyone interested in the country club should read that book.

On 2017-09-29 at 2:22 PM, Cunningham said:

I've attached some info on the RCYC VX program, were nearly at 2 containers which will mean 14 VX's by next summer.... I'd also like to add that we do have a fairly active youth sailing program, approximately 300 youth go through it each summer, and spring and fall sailing is around 60 participants. 

We do want to see more active sailing at RCYC and the VX is one of the avenues that hopes to achieve that.

Thanks for this information. Best of luck with your VX program! Anything the club can do to promote sailing by its members is worthwhile.

You make a fair point about the youth sailing program being active. I recall RCYC did well at this year's Steerer's Junior Regatta.