Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

The Tybee has begun!

Just back in off the water after filing the start of the Tybee 500 here in Islamorada, FL. Lots to come!

Video is uploading, Mer is working on pics. Due to our late night today's stuff will take a little extra time, but all the start stuff should be loaded before too long. Good action, with 23 or 24 boats on the line. Looks like JC/Carrie are OCS, and T500 rules say no flag or hail, just a 15 minute penalty if the OCS boat doesn't go back. Krantz also OCS, maybe one other boat. Conditions: 6-7 knots from ENE. Forecast, building with the thermal, but not much more than 12. ETA of the lead boats, somewhere around 3-4.

Video is uploading, Mer is working on pics. Due to our late night today's stuff will take a little extra time, but all the start stuff should be loaded before too long. Good action, with 23 or 24 boats on the line. Looks like JC/Carrie are OCS, and T500 rules say no flag or hail, just a 15 minute penalty if the OCS boat doesn't go back. Krantz also OCS, maybe one other boat. Conditions: 6-7 knots from ENE. Forecast, building with the thermal, but not much more than 12. ETA of the lead boats, somewhere around 3-4.

how are you OCS if you're dragging the beach cat over the beach?? or am I missing how this race starts??

I thought it was a "le mans" style start, how were they over?

first post, cherry popped.

Welcome, fucking noob. First start is off a rocky, coral-filled beach so there's no beach start, just a conventional line. Tomorrow the sandy mayhem begins.

Mischa Heemskerk's team and Mike Easton both worked way high at the start and were the first to launch their kites (both F-18s), then Carrie/JC followed shortly thereafter and now the whole fleet is reaching tight under kite until they past the next poiint, when all will free up a bit. Wind still at 8 or so, some cumulus popping up should mean a little more soon.

We were out on Sunday on our Tiger and a couple of "pros" showed up out of the Nacra European Headquarters on F18s. In winds starting at 12 knots and building to 17, they blew away some very well sailed Nacra 20s in our club race. We were racing windward leeward with about 1.5 kilometers between the marks. It wasn't even close. After three times around, the two Infusions were a whole leg ahead of the nearest 20. I'd hate to see that same difference extended on a 100 mile leg.

We were out on Sunday on our Tiger and a couple of "pros" showed up out of the Nacra European Headquarters on F18s. In winds starting at 12 knots and building to 17, they blew away some very well sailed Nacra 20s in our club race. We were racing windward leeward with about 1.5 kilometers between the marks. It wasn't even close. After three times around, the two Infusions were a whole leg ahead of the nearest 20. I'd hate to see that same difference extended on a 100 mile leg.

Moondawg,

With all due respect, with equal crews the Nacra 20 is faster than any F18 in all conditions. This has been proven time and time again. In small course racing, the crew work can make huge differences. I have beaten far faster boats on small windward leeward courses, however the crew work advantage fades with distance.

The F18s do benefit from the development curve contribution of some of the world's best cat sailors, as the Tormado does (did). The F18 sail plan is probably more refined than that of the N20s. However this advantage is simply not enough......

The F18 does get closer when the "dogs are blowing off the chains". In the case of the Tybee 500, Mischa may be the best sailor on the course. This will help, but there are a couple of good distance sailors on N-20s. I do not see the 18s standing a chance against the 20s.

Been there....

Moondawg,

With all due respect, with equal crews the Nacra 20 is faster than any F18 in all conditions. This has been proven time and time again. In small course racing, the crew work can make huge differences. I have beaten far faster boats on small windward leeward courses, however the crew work advantage fades with distance.

The F18s do benefit from the development curve contribution of some of the world's best cat sailors, as the Tormado does (did). The F18 sail plan is probably more refined than that of the N20s. However this advantage is simply not enough......

The F18 does get closer when the "dogs are blowing off the chains". In the case of the Tybee 500, Mischa may be the best sailor on the course. This will help, but there are a couple of good distance sailors on N-20s. I do not see the 18s standing a chance against the 20s.

Been there....

No worries 49er. Wasn't so much trying to stake out a position as post an observation. I am a newb to cat sailing after a lifetime of keelboat and dinghy sailing so would differ to your analysis. I was really surprised by how much faster these two 18s were. I could have just been a skill differential. I understand that one of the pro drivers was a European champ. My money is on Mischa.

Cheers.

Moondawg,

Been there....

No worries 49er. Wasn't so much trying to stake out a position as post an observation. I am a newb to cat sailing after a lifetime of keelboat and dinghy sailing so would differ to your analysis. I was really surprised by how much faster these two 18s were. I could have just been a skill differential. I understand that one of the pro drivers was a European champ. My money is on Mischa.

Cheers.

Moondawg,

Been there....

Cheers.

Moondawg,

Experience, preparation, and skill will decide this one. Mischa is an experienced veteran and has some experience with the dashes up the coast (W1000 and T500), as well as other distance racing.The likes of Steve Lohmayer, Jamie Livingston, and the Sonnaklars, with their knowledge of the area and the race will prove hard to beat, especially on their bigger boats. JC and Mischa will represent the F18 well, but I've got to go with the 20's.

It will be interesting, especially if the front forecaster in a couple of days proves to be "all that".

Link to LIVE results:

http://tybee500.com/posts/62-Live-Results-Hollywood

TIMES WILL BE CORRECTED, THIS IS ACTUAL FINISHES

IIRC, the N20 owe the F18s about 3min/hr (ish)

Team Royal Yellow - 16:27:11

Team Whike.com - 16:34:11

Team Velocity 6 / Magic Marine - 16:34:55 (possible 15min knock for OCS for this team)

TCDYC - 16:40:12

Team Cat Fever - 16:40:25

Team Microwind - 16:40:27

Team Zhik - 16:41:40

Team Velocity 1 / Anarchy Challenge - 16:43:31

Team Royal White 16:44:51

Team Seacats Orange - 16:45:47

Team Royal Green - 16:45:47

Man was THAT FUCKING EXCITING!!

We were actually beaten up the coast by four boats, and I got to the water's edge just as the green cat finished on her side! A little video to come, but mostly just dead batteries, dead brains, and some awesome beach action here. Stay tuned for more!

Totally fascinating- Royal Yellow a bit ahead of Mischa, who battled with his lady the entire race, just seconds apart. What drama - and tomorrow should be more of the same. Carrie (in a bikini) loading now.

Be sure to check SA-TV in a few minutes for three vids.

Hi Mer. As always, your photos are beautiful and thank you for sharing your good work. get some sleep, feel better and I'll see you in the morning.

More sailor chicks! How does Carrie Howe feel about cats? How much experience (on cats)?

A lot, Pete. She crewed for Mischa (and won) at the F-18 NAs at Lake Carlyle a couple of years ago.

More sailor chicks! How does Carrie Howe feel about cats? How much experience (on cats)?

A lot, Pete. She crewed for Mischa (and won) at the F-18 NAs at Lake Carlyle a couple of years ago.

Wow!

CLEAN! WAKE THE FUCK UP, DUDE! NO REST FOR THE WICKED! You got me hooked on this, what's goin' on, how's the weather, anybody sunburned, anything broken, who. . . . . .

Am I just blind and stoopid, or are the videos hidden somewhere else?

Where's the Wildcat? I thought there was supposed to be two of them in this.

Am I just blind and stoopid, or are the videos hidden somewhere else?

Where's the Wildcat? I thought there was supposed to be two of them in this.

Due to the fact that Hobie U.S. is in their normal posture (with their head up their ass), they nixxed the import of the European Wildcat for this race. I can only speculate as to why, but imagine they did NOT want to steal the thunder of the U.S. debut later this fall. Whatever the reason, they pissed off and/or alienated more than a few cat sailors. Now, if Nacra could just get their shit together.....

Mischa and Carrie also won F-18 NA's at Galveston, Texas in 2007....Carrie fucking rocks! I watched Mischa working with Carrie on her driving skills after each day of racing that year - a thing of beauty (team and Carrie ;))

There are photos here.

This is so great! Gotta love the Tybee and Archipelago Raid. Maybe sort of a bucket list thing for me, I dunno. But this makes sitting in a classroom with a bunch of 8th graders in May when I should be working on my boat or out riding or running a bit more bearable. We definitely need something like this format up here in the Great Lakes.

And Mer/Clean...as always, great shots and reports. Thanks!

from a pal:

FYI - the crew on the TCDYC boat (Aaron McCulley) was a member of the multi hull crew that set the speed record for the Miami-Nassau run a couple years ago on a 31OneD named Abandoned Assets.

Skipper Chris Green is a maniacal Englishman who, along with John Tomko, has done more for cat sailing in Texas than anyone else the past 5 years. Both men are stunningly good off-shore cat racers. They have been racing the GT 300 since its inception - Chris as skipper; Aaron as crew and, as of last year, skipper.

Here's a link to Chris's daily blog on our (TCDYC) forum.

Royal Yellow way out in front, wind lightened to 6-7 knots and the boats are gybing back in forth to stay on the beach. Jonathan and Stan (chicagomatchrace.com and keysiling.com) capsized somehow, and couldn't right their boat. They decided to ask for our help and take whatever penalty that means. The boys were really tired out by the time I leaned over and picked their masthead up out of the water, and POP - away they went. Camera is shitting the bed, got lots of great video that I will figure out how to get up as soon as we hit shore.

Helicopter was about 15 feet off the deck at points - awesome.

Mischa and Carrie looking good, but the bigger horsepower on the I20s is winning out right now. We are feet from shore - be back soon

Love the square topped mains with the SA logo on it. Gotta have that done to the Main on "Nice Pair."

Is the 15 minute OCS penalty accessed on the beach prior to launch? Do they wait 15 minutes after start or is it added to their overall time?

Also, does anyone know what hotel the Velocity team will be staying at tomorrow night? I need to send something to a racer.

Is the 15 minute OCS penalty accessed on the beach prior to launch? Do they wait 15 minutes after start or is it added to their overall time?

Also, does anyone know what hotel the Velocity team will be staying at tomorrow night? I need to send something to a racer.

I don't know the hotel. The 15 minutes has already been assessed in time against them. They start at the same time as everyone else.

We'll find out and let you know. If it helps at all,they are staying at the same place as all of the other teams.

Mischa Heemskerk's team and Mike Easton both worked way high at the start and were the first to launch their kites (both F-18s), then Carrie/JC followed shortly thereafter and now the whole fleet is reaching tight under kite until they past the next poiint, when all will free up a bit. Wind still at 8 or so, some cumulus popping up should mean a little more soon.

Watching this is a blast!

The breeze is pumping, carrie broke a rudder and pit stopped in boca for a new. one, and we are running to the hotel room and then getting to the beach for the finish. 1 hour max until the first are in!

think this is the most enjoyable otwa yet.

preemptive happy bday to miss howe

Right on! It's like the Tour de France of sailing...IMO. When the Worrell 1000 was the game in town, they had the opportunity to grow it exactly like the TDF (cycling) with media, etc. but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully the Tybee will be able to make that sort of thing happen.

Sending Bday wishes to Carrie! She needs to do a Mackinaw on "Nice Pair." Pass it on to her.

Got tons of landing video - I'm finished with the big camera after it ate the DV with all my footage from this morning. Back to reliable little SD job, and about 10 clips are loading now. I think the bugs are mostly worked out...mostly.

Got tons of landing video - I'm finished with the big camera after it ate the DV with all my footage from this morning. Back to reliable little SD job, and about 10 clips are loading now. I think the bugs are mostly worked out...mostly.

You gotta be shitting me. All a.m. footage lost? I need a knish.

You gotta be shitting me. All a.m. footage lost? I need a knish.

Tell me about it. I actually think it is recoverable, but not with my equipment. Fucking 2009 and I was using fucking tape.

Pretty cool to have 20 boats finish within a half hour of eachother. For tomorrow, the twitter feed will give you the finish times down to the second.

Thanks hoof - it's completely different than anything we've ever done, and reduces the 3 years of OTW experience to worthless, but we're almost to where we're having fun rather than putting out fires. It should only get better from here on out.

Thanks so much for the great coverage of the race .

Alot of veterans of the Tybee 500 and 1000 mile races over the years wish they were there racing this week but events are keeping them from it , this coverage is the next best thing for us ,--- the kindred spirits all following along reliving events and human challenges each leg brings .

I,ve raced in years past with 4 different team members racing this week and completed 5 -1000 mile races and 4 Tybee 500s , hope to be back next year racing with them again up the coast .

I would highly recommend the race , a great group of people and fantastic event to be part of in any capasity .

Sail safe --arrive alive

Carl

Just met race organizer Chuck and Tybee webmaster Claude - great guys who seem to share the same vision that brought us down here - this thing can and will be much bigger, and be a boon for beach cat racing in North America. Hope to meet you next year Carl. We'll have an in-depth interview with Chuck by the end of the week. Big carnage most likely Thursday morning...

Quick question, other than geeky sailor types, who actually thinks this is cool? Being a geeky sailor type it makes me want to go buy an I20, and some testical implants.

This sht is so fcking great! I can't wait to one of these days be able to take the time off of work to race this event, whatever it morphs into being. Clean, Mer...thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! You are making such a great thing to follow.

This sht is so fcking great! I can't wait to one of these days be able to take the time off of work to race this event, whatever it morphs into being. Clean, Mer...thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! You are making such a great thing to follow.

Let the Abandoned Assets team know when you plan on nutting up, as we'd all love to give you the opportunity to study our transoms the way that you've given us to study yours.

Let the Abandoned Assets team know when you plan on nutting up, as we'd all love to give you the opportunity to study our transoms the way that you've given us to study yours.

Ha, Good one :D Throw down time! Got some catching back up to do on beach cats, but rest assured...it will be great to try to hang with you all if it happens. Several of the folks who sail with me have completed a Worrell or more. What I really want to do is the Archipelago Raid, and start something like that concept up here in the Northern Great Lakes region, in and around the North Channel/Georgian Bay/Les Chenaiux Islands area.

Hope to see you in Chicago in a couple of months.

Ha, Good one :D Throw down time! Got some catching back up to do on beach cats, but rest assured...it will be great to try to hang with you all if it happens. Several of the folks who sail with me have completed a Worrell or more. What I really want to do is the Archipelago Raid, and start something like that concept up here in the Northern Great Lakes region, in and around the North Channel/Georgian Bay/Les Chenaiux Islands area.

Sounds like the makings of a Challenge Series!

A couple of years ago, my brother and I were considering developing a cat LD race on the Lakes. After debating different options, we figured that sailing up (or down) the east coast of Lake Huron would be the most logical from both logistics and conditions standpoints. At least there is sand there...unlike the North Channel.

But, the cat is gone for now, so our plans are on hold.

A couple of years ago, my brother and I were considering developing a cat LD race on the Lakes. After debating different options, we figured that sailing up (or down) the east coast of Lake Huron would be the most logical from both logistics and conditions standpoints. At least there is sand there...unlike the North Channel.

But, the cat is gone for now, so our plans are on hold. And just because you don't have a boat right now doesn't mean the idea has to go away.

We should chat it up sometime. All of it can be incorporated, not just one area over another. And just because you don't have a boat right now, the idea doesn't need to be on the back burner.

That was easily the coolest fucking spectacle I've ever seen in any sailing event in my life! Unbelieveable, a huge squall passes in front of the fleet before the start with lightning everywhere and the bikini babes a perfect backdrop. then as. another races in from behind the teams are off through the surf. Mischa tacks first, is double trapping and GONE with Trey and Alan in hot pursuit. Royal yellow stalls at the start and ends up in the pack. My backup camera finally succumbs to the endless spray and dies too, and I shoot the start with a fucking canon point and shoot that disappears in my big paws. Insane! Mer is loading pics while I drive, and I'll get the vid up as I can. Anyone who can post the tybees tweets here; much appreciated.

Thanks for the update you both! Making my pre sailing season is being made more bearable by the most fcking awesome job you are doing with this. And yes, it is the MOST fcking amazing thing you have watched in sailing...besides flying a hull on my boat B)