Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

The Tybee has begun!

We made it! Finally beat the fleet to a finish, and sitting here in a cheesy Holiday Inn lobby waiting for the team to show up, uploading video.

And as I am sitting across the lobby from you, I would pay you one dollar if you went to my car to get me another beer and mix Sharon a rum drink. Please.

We made it! Finally beat the fleet to a finish, and sitting here in a cheesy Holiday Inn lobby waiting for the team to show up, uploading video.

And as I am sitting across the lobby from you, I would pay you one dollar if you went to my car to get me another beer and mix Sharon a rum drink. Please.

I'll pay you two if you get under this table here and suck me off.

RACE START INTERVIEWS AND ACTION VIDS ARE UP!

This one is Tad Pecorak, TVS-2 and anarchist Maughan Nacra 20, sleepy in the morning.

Stuff is building at orlando, and stuff building offshore. Looks like the race is right between. See my earlier posts for a radar shot of the area.

Long day it will be.

I like to use this one for real time winds.... You're right though, it's honking in Orlando.

Windmapper

All videos except one of Mike Krantz, and the entire start of Leg 3, are loaded. 10 minutes for those.

Breeze is 8 knots from the ESE here on shore, big ass cell forming just to the west.

Good little write-up from JW on the T500 site: The Southern weather pattern has given way to the Central weather pattern as we make our way North. Thunder met the fleet as they arrived in Jupiter yesterday and they awoke to another microsystem this morning. Ten minutes before the start, an approaching thunderstorm dropped the temperature a few degrees and the wind freshened and backed from 140 to around 95 degrees. The tension among the fleet was already palpable, but as the new wind arrived you could actually hear the sound of a collective pucker. We pushed the fleet off and they were dead-aimed at a brief gap between rain showers.

You can expect this leg, the second-longest of the regatta, to be a serious challenge to the sailors physical and mental states. Thuderstorms in this part of the state can launch you out the front or literally suck the wind from your sails. The forecast wind angle and the lay of the land is likely to favor the F18 fleet today, and it will be the heavier Nacra 20 teams that experience the highest bursts of speed… a tight spinnaker reach, however, will largely find both platforms neck and neck. Those who play the clouds the best will win out.

With complex and small systems like this so strongly influenced by temperature, we want to express particular gratitude to Mark Michealson of www.wxRouting.com for his kind consideration and many timely text messages. He’s in California and fortunately an early riser. See you in Cocoa Beach.

To me it looks like they are still more than 30 NM out, confirm anyone?

To me it looks like they are still more than 30 NM out, confirm anyone?

I am thinking the lead boat is closer to 40 NM out at this point. Per their "Spots" they seem to be moving around 10 nm/hr...so, looks like 7 pm or later. But your mileage could vary ;)

Nice Work Mr.Clean!

Been combing through the photos/viddy's for some footaqge of my buddy Lee Wickland on Team Chums (should be a green hulled N20).

If you happen to pick him up at any stage, please give him a shout-out from all the guys back in SoCal...we're rooting for him.

Mike Dobbs.

Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"

Today's finish...which is looking later and later!

Holiday.jpg

Tad called in a couple minutes ago, and was 46 NM away from the finish, moving at 3 knots. Mischa and Carrie are apparently running 1 and 2 on the course.

Running down to the beach to check shit out, will check back in with a video update soon!

I feel (almost) bad sitting in this nice air conditioned Holiday Inn enjoying a cold beer while my team is sailing is some light air. Though this morning I was so fucking happy I didn"t have to leave a perfecly safe beach with what the weather was doing at the start.

This is a great race, I have yet to meet anyone connected with it who doesn't have a smile on their face and I love the way folks are helping each other out.

The finishes have been really spectacular to watch, the boats are coming in hot! It's a scramble to move the already finished boats out of the way of those finishing.

Race Committee has a Manager meeting every morning after the Skipper's meeting so lines of communication are kept open. Impressive.

Go The TeamChums/Corpus!

Nice Work Mr.Clean!

Been combing through the photos/viddy's for some footaqge of my buddy Lee Wickland on Team Chums (should be a green hulled N20).

If you happen to pick him up at any stage, please give him a shout-out from all the guys back in SoCal...we're rooting for him.

Mike Dobbs.

Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"

I will pass your good wishes along to Lee.

Clean, keep up the good work.

Little request. could you please start a new thread each day, it saves working through old posts to see where to start reading.

SC

This is just so fucking cool!

Mischa lands about 15 minutes ago, video loading, and now Carrie's in for an F-18 one/two. The TVS crew brought Carrie balloons and sang "Happy Birthday" when her feet hit the beach, and a lit-up cake came down just a minute later. There still must be 100 people on the beach partying and having a blast, and you can't even see your hands in front of your face.

Mischa done laid a whuppin' on the rest of the fleet.

Curious, the F18 in front; is the wind against the fleet? I would think if it were light the N-20's would bury the F18's...Or is Mischa just *THAT* good? (Does he give lessons? :lol: )

Curious, the F18 in front; is the wind against the fleet? I would think if it were light the N-20's would bury the F18's...Or is Mischa just *THAT* good? (Does he give lessons? :lol: )

Most the Nacra 20 crews I am familiar with try to be a bit on the heavy side for off shore events...just in case the wind is blowing really big. It's a gamble, but it's insurance against the weight you drop as the week goes along. Of course, Mischa is also that good ;)

Mischa actually will give you all the time he can spare when it comes to boats. We bent his ear everyday and night at the F18 NA's in 2007. He was very gracious; sailed with a couple of our local guys and continues to stay in touch. A bit of brain sludge for you: Mischa learned to sail on a p.o.s. P16 he restored and raced as a kid.

Most the Nacra 20 crews I am familiar with try to be a bit on the heavy side for off shore events...just in case the wind is blowing really big. It's a gamble, but it's insurance against the weight you drop as the week goes along. Of course, Mischa is also that good ;)

Mischa actually will give you all the time he can spare when it comes to boats. We bent his ear everyday and night at the F18 NA's in 2007. He was very gracious; sailed with a couple of our local guys and continues to stay in touch. A bit of brain sludge for you: Mischa learned to sail on a p.o.s. P16 he restored and raced as a kid.

Most the Nacra 20 crews I am familiar with are a bit on the heavy side because they drink too much beer :lol:

Most the Nacra 20 crews I am familiar with are a bit on the heavy side because they drink too much beer :lol:

I am (former) Nacra 20 crew and I resemble that remark. Had to quit drinking or get a bigger boat. Still drinking; the Nacra 20 was sold last June; the next boat arrives later this month :P

According to his website mischaheemskerk.com he does offer coaching services.

We'll be equipped next year, that's for sure. We've already made the list:

Big-ass RV

Driver (C-unit is our preference)

Decent RIB

Big lights

Couple of volunteers to get video up

Small enclosed tent with a table and Honda generator

Velocity Anarchy Challenge IS IN!!!

One more finishing right now!

Note to Ed: spring for an infrared, spray and sand proof camera next year ;) WE NEED VIDEO

I'd settle for copy at this point. Mr. CLEAN must be passed out face down in Carrie's cake (or wishing he was). Either that or SA has imposed a media blackout in exchange for exclusivity.

We'll be equipped next year, that's for sure. We've already made the list:

Velocity Anarchy Challenge IS IN!!!

Standard equipment we use to cover the Great Texas 300....

Big-ass RV - check

Driver (C-unit is our preference) - check...got one that gives great backrubs and makes a mean pot o' spaghetti, too :lol:

Decent RIB - sorta - we have a kayak and a beach jeep in tow so we can catch action from both ends of the starting line; also telephoto from atop the RV

Big lights - check ... IF the PRO allows 'em while the race is in progress...unfair advantage and all that.

Couple of volunteers to get video up - we ain't exactly gettin' paid, so I guess that makes us the volunteers!

Small enclosed tent with a table and Honda generator - we don't need no stinkin' tent...our RV is 4 wheel drive!! And we have TWO Honda generators ;)

Also - waterproof/beachproof cameras (Pentax Optio rox)

:lol:

Note to Ed: spring for an infrared, spray and sand proof camera next year ;) WE NEED VIDEO

I'd settle for copy at this point. Mr. CLEAN must be passed out face down in Carrie's cake (or wishing he was). Either that or SA has imposed a media blackout in exchange for exclusivity.

:lol::rolleyes:

That's right, sweetie - Clean would just wilt at the GT...not a Holiday Inn in sight!! Let's get him down there - you charm Mer and I'll watch. HAHAHAHAHA

Remember to click "pause" when it starts and let it load for a while!

Thanks for the tip, Clean! I was getting frustrated, especially when the damn video wouldn't play right over the T3 at work. Now I can finally watch all the glorious video without hiccups!

Turns out the guys from Adventure Online got thrown off the beach for getting in the RC's way at the finish. D'oh!

:lol::rolleyes:

That's right, sweetie - Clean would just wilt at the GT...not a Holiday Inn in sight!! Let's get him down there - you charm Mer and I'll watch. HAHAHAHAHA

Cut'em a break, Steph, they're just n00bs to the beach cat distance thang. It ain't exactly the Providence YC. I've yet to hear mention of scoring a primo beach chair, beach juice, regatta massage or cuppie. But still, they've got a ways to go up the coast and not all Northerners are as dumb as a sack of rocks. By the GT, they might be worth a sht.

Give me a fucking break! I don't need shit - but my computers do need some TLC or there ain't no timely coverage...

And I'm not going down to the beach because the fucking Ed decided to take a holiday in Barbados, which means the entire front page comes from yours truly - that's 5 hours of extra work for me tonight.

Give me a fucking break! I don't need shit - but my computers do need some TLC or there ain't no timely coverage...

And I'm not going down to the beach because the fucking Ed decided to take a holiday in Barbados, which means the entire front page comes from yours truly - that's 5 hours of extra work for me tonight.

Oh, dude! Chill...we are all excited over our boys and just want some news. You are doing a fine job for a first timer. And the Ed sux (I think he secretly detests multi hulls anyway) for leaving you in a lurch.

Come to the GT and we'll do the leg work and let you laugh at us...promise ;)

p s - I owe you about 500 words anyway, so guess I'll get to work on that

Take it easy, CLEAN, there's always too much to do and not near enough time to do it. What looks like an extended beach party from a distance turns out to be an unholy cluster fck when you're in the middle of it. The true pros make it look easy but it isn't. Go to water early, get a good night's sleep (after your 5 hr. OT) and give it your best shot tomorrow.

Just be glad you're not camping.

Take it easy, CLEAN, there's always too much to do and not near enough time to do it. What looks like an extended beach party from a distance turns out to be an unholy cluster fck when you're in the middle of it. The true pros make it look easy but it isn't. Go to water early, get a good night's sleep (after your 5 hr. OT) and give it your best shot tomorrow.

Or sailing in the dark after 14 hours on the water. :huh:

Yea - TCDYC is in. Looking for Chums, now.

been there, done that. Its actually much easier on the boat than it is on the ground crew/support network. Carl, I believe you were there as well in 2001, 2002? Off of Oracoke at 2 a.m....

been there, done that. Its actually much easier on the boat than it is on the ground crew/support network. Carl, I believe you were there as well in 2001, 2002? Off of Oracoke at 2 a.m....

Only had one l-o-n-g day on the beach cat - eleven plus hours & you were there cheering us in. I did in fact enjoy that immensely - far more than the times I've spent as ground crew squinting into the dark looking for "my boys".

I was roadcrewing the 2001 Worrell and remember the boats getting to Tybee in daylight (the next day!) - MANY getting there in daylight! We (the two Texas teams) closed the bar that night too, at 2:30 am, "training" for the next day's night leg. A couple years ago, we finished Day 1 of Ruff Riders in the dark at 9 pm, simultaneously with two other teams. Come to think of it, I've only once finished Day 1 of RuffRiders in daylight - first try was dismasted in Mansfield Bay, second (solo on 5.5u/w kite) was well after dark, third on P19/w 6.O kite was daylight, and of course 2007.