Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest RollerPoster

Return of the gaff rigged sportsboat . . .

Guest RollerPoster

Well it seems to me that a huge chunk of cloying sameness is being stirred into the day racer/sports boat brew we so love to slurp up. Noone wants to push out and see what other corners of sailings' giddy bedspread can be played upon. What happened to the all the freethinkers, were they blinded by dreams of avarice, fuelled by greed at the notion of riches on offer in producing another "me too" 30 something footer for a mere $120K?

Why not restore a smattering of decadent latter day elegance to matters of on the water pace? Bring back retrousse sterns, long flowing keel forms and delicious multi sparred rigs . . . With that in mind I post the following image of a deep keeled, gaff rigged performance day boat. Could be an amusing build if and when completed.

post-1-1075281658.gif

You don't have to think in terms of heavy long keelers when you think of old gaffers. The Sibbick, Herreshoff and Linton Hope Rater designs of the late 1800s could be as light as 700 lb (on a 25' overall length) and had keels with an aspect ratio of about 6:1 and bulbs. They would have to have kicked an Etchells downwind AFAIK. Old doesn't have to mean slow speed and slow turns.

I have to agree about the sameness of todays wank wank sportsboats. If you don't want to take the family cruising or race offshore, stop pretending to performance and buy a really fast boat like a skiff, sailboard or multi!

ugh.. Don't like that at all.. What's the point of a full keel on a racer? And your gaff main is more triangular than many square-tops. Battens are lighter, allow better trim adjustments, and are cheaper to replace than any spar.

RSPEAK-R1-10.jpg

021603-Race3(FS).jpg