Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

Sportboat World Championship of the World

The First Annual Sailing Anarchy Sportboat World Championship of the World Regatta is confirmed! We'll be holding it in San Diego's South Bay - flat water, solid breeze, no kelp! - September 26, 27. Depending on the turnout, we are planning on two classes, using modified PH ratings. Seven races, band, comedian, booze sponsors, tons o' swag, great prizes, blah blah. Coronado Yacht Club has graciously agreed to host the event and has plenty of space, a 6,000 lb. hoist, etc. Yacht Scoring will handle all the scoring and registration, which we'll get up as soon as the regatta artwork and a couple other details are sorted out. If you are interested in playing, send us an e-mail so that we can figure out how much beer to order!

So it looks like we may have a class of 505's, which is very cool and it begs the question, should we have as many smal lod sporty classes as possible? Open to all suggestions, including to fuck myself.

great initiative

sheez 6000lb hoist ? do sportsboaters launch 6-8 boats at once

Whats the weight cut-off ?

or is this to include predominately displacement yachts ? whose owners were told were sportsboats by the salesperson ?

if so I think SportsYacht or 'Hi-Performance World championships of the World' might be appropriate

funny a concurrent thread exists where the displacement crowd are attempting to use the term 'Sportsboat Australian Championships' and are being 'told' in no uncertain manner.

This is potentially a similar circumstance ? ? , FT10 Yacht Racing ( and 5o5s?) won't be using the term 'Sportsboat World Championship' with any credence

aside from the naming, what an exciting initiative

hope the 20' to sub 30 footers flock to this carnival and fill the bay with Assos !

reckon it's important for SA to be seen to understand the performance side of the game, naming FiveOhs or FT10s as Sportsboats kinda doesn't send that message

Please don't think all Australians share all the same views as that of Sportsboat Rail Meat above!

If it floats, has a rig, planes downwind and/or upwind (or flies) let the punters play!

Seeing as this is the place where the ockers can tell the Ed how to run his site and his regatta...for fack's get Clean on a boat. let somebody else do the OTW coverage! :P:lol:

And the paranoia deepens.....

Topic: How have you had this sanctioned as the world championships of the world for sports boats Ed?

Grumps they have World series everything else! :lol:

Ed,Just make sure you use Sportboat and not Sportsboat otherwise you will likely feel the force of the ATYSBR and ASBA and some moronic bloke that you helped create :P

Gold! Good job PurE7!

What rating system Ed?

Modified PHRF numbers are the easiest so that's likelywhat we'll do. I just got an e-mail from a J/125 owner that wants to sail. He'll so far easily be the biggest boat and that might be a bit lame having him and a bunch of 30 plus footers in one class? Think we should have a size cut off? Or the more, the merrier? And as far as the 5 oh's (and any other similar class) I say we include them, and simply give them their own class and start.

Modified PHRF numbers are the easiest so that's likelywhat we'll do. I just got an e-mail from a J/125 owner that wants to sail. He'll so far easily be the biggest boat and that might be a bit lame having him and a bunch of 30 plus footers in one class? Think we should have a size cut off? Or the more, the merrier? And as far as the 5 oh's (and any other similar class) I say we include them, and simply give them their own class and start.

So are the FT 10's invited? if so will the owner driver rule be adhered to?

No the FT's are not invited. Why would I let them in? After all, they are hardly sport boats.

Yes, of course they can come but they will not be sailing as a OD class. No pros driving boats they do not own. Period.

J/125 - Sportsboat -

"Sailing World / Scuttlebutt SA regatta, on the inshore SPORTSBOAT circle the fleet of J/80s, J24s, Olsens and the lone J/125 battled it out. The 5o5s start next "

It's a cred thing

I'm not sure I get your point, but I am going to let the 125 in - maybe it'll attract some others as well.

I'm not sure I get your point, but I am going to let the 125 in - maybe it'll attract some others as well.

How about letting some multihulls in?

Like the Multi 23.....it's a sports trimaran and I think we can get 5 plus boats on the line.

If it can get its bow out of the water in 15 knots or can fly, let it race..... easy!

Bob the boat breaker and the rest of the Weta SF boys should come play as well. It's the Sportboat World Championship of the World, fer fuckssake! Ed, I always liked the name "Super 30s" for the 30 and up crowd, Nemesis, the FTs, the 125 and anything else Hendo or MG30 or Cheetah etc.

And poor me, I'll be in Porto Cervo...

Bob the boat breaker and the rest of the Weta SF boys should come play as well. It's the Sportboat World Championship of the World, fer fuckssake! Ed, I always liked the name "Super 30s" for the 30 and up crowd, Nemesis, the FTs, the 125 and anything else Hendo or MG30 or Cheetah etc.

poor .... indeed ;) .

If it can get its bow out of the water in 15 knots or can fly, let it race..... easy!

some one should take one of the turboed shaws up there, clean up all the yanky boats and show them how its done

cheers crossa

M32 Worlds or Sportsboats World Series ... a no brainer

great initiative

sheez 6000lb hoist ? do sportsboaters launch 6-8 boats at once

Whats the weight cut-off ?

or is this to include predominately displacement yachts ? whose owners were told were sportsboats by the salesperson ?

if so I think SportsYacht or 'Hi-Performance World championships of the World' might be appropriate

funny a concurrent thread exists where the displacement crowd are attempting to use the term 'Sportsboat Australian Championships' and are being 'told' in no uncertain manner.

This is potentially a similar circumstance ? ? , FT10 Yacht Racing ( and 5o5s?) won't be using the term 'Sportsboat World Championship' with any credence

aside from the naming, what an exciting initiative

hope the 20' to sub 30 footers flock to this carnival and fill the bay with Assos !

reckon it's important for SA to be seen to understand the performance side of the game, naming FiveOhs or FT10s as Sportsboats kinda doesn't send that message

Can anyone else interpret this for me? It is not English as I can see...

Conflicts with Les Voiles in St. Tropez as well - not exactly a draw for sporties but one of the most amazing collection of classics and modern boats you'll ever see - truly incredible.

WWing

Conflicts with Les Voiles in St. Tropez as well - not exactly a draw for sporties but one of the most amazing collection of classics and modern boats you'll ever see - truly incredible.

WWing

Whilst it may not be the best racing in the world, It is probably the world's most beautiful regatta in terms of location, classic boats and spectacle.

I gotta see this. onya Ed

ohhhh honey...small itinerary change!!

The more the merrier for sure. I say go for participation and fun over everything else!

The more the merrier for sure. I say go for participation and fun over everything else!

I agree entirely

but how does naming it after one type send that message to the Displacement keelers and the dinghy guys ?

count me in... should be a nice 30 footer fleet. Have you talked to the Farr 30 guys up north?

shit lefty, who am i sailing w/ now?

you or the ed?

let the bidding begin!

We'll be there on the Viper ED. We'll drum up some other Vipes to show up for the best sporty party on the West Coast. Let's get some strippers in the crowd so we can see some real tits :o Fuck the club...they GOTTA know what's about to land on 'em.

...I am going to let the 125 in - maybe it'll attract some others as well.

Tell then they get a start w/minimum 4 boats. PHRF numbers for a class w/about 30 sec/mi up and down. Sugest they call their friends.competitors to get a class and a start.

Good luck with this.

The First Annual Sailing Anarchy Sportboat World Championship of the World Regatta...Seven races, band, comedian, booze sponsors, tons o' swag,

So what's the comedian for?

Protest Committee?

Ratings?

Hey!

Maybe you can get the "Unknown Comic" to set a square starting line! Contact him in Laughlin.

As long as the team doesn't have another race, the j105 that I race on will be there

For a sportboat event?????????????

not to be the wet blanket but I hope ISAF doesn't give you grief about calling a regatta a world championship of the world. I know it's tongue in cheek but they have no sense of humour sometimes.

The First Annual Sailing Anarchy Sportboat World Championship of the World Regatta...Seven races, band, comedian, booze sponsors, tons o' swag,

So what's the comedian for?

Protest Committee?

Ratings?

Hey!

Maybe you can get the "Unknown Comic" to set a square starting line! Contact him in Laughlin.

bad andy should for sure be the comic!

not to be the wet blanket but I hope ISAF doesn't give you grief about calling a regatta a world championship of the world. I know it's tongue in cheek but they have no sense of humour sometimes.

I voted for World Sportboat World Championship of the World. Let 'em bitch.

My pic for the title

World Sportboat World Championship of the World of Sportboats (and it sometimes, leadmines)

Now Clean, about the strippers :P

Talk to the boss, I will be in Italy (and that blows chunks.)

Intergalactic Sportboat Championships would cover it.

Hey! I say F**** em if they get their panties in a bunch. Besides, if they cause trouble for the WSBChofTW they'll just further alienate the core of the sport here at SA.

Yeah, you have it figured out. A J-125 is a SB. Should be a great event.

Maybe Dr Laura will bring hers too.

and I like the idea of using world championship - never felt happy about US Sailing (or ISAF) claiming exclusive ownership of the term

Let em bring it, I look forward to seeing the court battle "USSailing vs SA" Mr Clean representing

It's not a World Championship. It's a World Championship of the World for sportboats as Scot defines them. Subtle difference.

As long as the team doesn't have another race, the j105 that I race on will be there

well if they are letting in a 125

It's not a World Championship. It's a World Championship of the World for sportboats as Scot defines them. Subtle difference.

Excellent, I see you are working on your arguments already....

Uh Mr clean, are you saying that a World Championship of the World is not in fact a World Championship ?

And what is the difference between a sportboat and a sportsboat ?

The 125 is at least a lot closer to being a sportboat allthough I would call it more of a sportyacht

Uh Mr clean, are you saying that a World Championship of the World is not in fact a World Championship ?

The 2nd "S" in option 2. Bog obvious to me....

For some reason your US media refers to the NFL Super Bowl winners as world champions, NBA winners as world champions, World Series winners as world champions etc., yet the only non US teams that get to play are the Raptors and Blue Jays........

Well the Kiwi's have L&P soda......."World Famous in New Zealand". :lol:

The 125 is at least a lot closer to being a sportboat allthough I would call it more of a sportyacht

true, i'm not trying to argue that a 105 is a sport boat, but it sounds like a boat that would be eligible for the event, we may have to bring down the SB3

For some reason your US media refers to the NFL Super Bowl winners as world champions, NBA winners as world champions, World Series winners as world champions etc., yet the only non US teams that get to play are the Raptors and Blue Jays........

"your" US media? You say it like we have some choice in the matter.

This is going to be the World Sportboat World Championship of the World. See what I did there? I think the more "Worlds" we add to the title, the better. The WSWCW.

Word.

This is going to be the World Sportboat World Championship of the World. See what I did there? I think the more "Worlds" we add to the title, the better. The WSWCW.

Word.

WORD +1

As this is the SA-SWCofW, how's this for an idea: All protests must be held in public... and the losing party buys a round of drinks for the crews on both boats.

As this is the SA-SWCofW, how's this for an idea: All protests must be held in public... and the losing party buys a round of drinks for the crews on both boats.

Absolutely, and I think it will be more extreme than that. Any wanker protests will be tossed with the loser being tossed for wasting everyone's time. There won't be protests though, because wankers are not invited.

"IndyCar World ****" " Champcar World series"

"This is going to be the World Sportboat World Championship of the World"

what do ya (seriously) think Euro F1 outfits and Sportsboat* sailors from outside the U.S. think of these 'media' beauties Clean

one word ...... and it starts with W

arguably this leads to 'you do have a choice', and are possibly uninvited

*No, not yr u.s. 'sportsboats e.g. Jyachts with a black prodder

No WANKERS??....shit, that leaves me out. ^_^

Word.

Is it going to be on the Ocho?

We're working on a deal with Jobson Sailing, Sailgroove, and ESPN.

(U).

Hey Ed, what do you class as a sportboat for the event?

We took the Custard Truck to Hong Kong for the Asia Pacifics and some of the boats there wouldn't be a sportboat under the NZ rules. One night we took turns defending our boat against a very stubourn and narrow minded race official who's view was that all sportboats should be one design and that design was a J80! I tell you it was like beating your head against the wall! And one by one we had to drag each crew member away before the guy got strangled (and I s*** you not, I did see some hands around the guys neck at one stage). He kept on asking why we bothered turning up when we had no chance of winning and if you did want to win then we should have brought a J80 with us instead.

Not trying to take anything from the event, it totally ruled! Our hosts were amazing with both the racing and the socialising. There was about 18 kts and big swells every day and we had so much fun both sailing and enjoying Hong Kong I would go back in a heartbeat. However the ratings were RORC which basically seemed like IMS, and promoted slow boats. This is something the people in the Southern Hemisphere despise. What's the point in trying to call a slow boring boat a sportboat when it's not very "sporty". It's like trying to call your Mazda MX5 (Miata) you bought in your midlife crisis a supercar! And having a prod should not mean you are automatically a sportboat! The J80s sailed flat downwind so would have probably gone faster with a normal pole!

We had no chance of even getting close to winning on handicap, however we did win every race on line, in fact almost every race was shortened from 3 laps to 2, otherwise we would have lapped the J80s. This meant we were the first boat to tie up and have a beer and then invite the next few boats to join us on the racks and have a laugh about the days racing. And we probably had the biggest grins on our faces as well.

Back home we think sportboats should be fast and fun. And that opinion is across the board, so all the boats are designed that way. There are still some boats that are a lot quicker than others but they don't always cross the line first. So when you do beat a faster boat across the line the victory is so much sweeter. I don't think I would feel very fulfilled if I won on handicap but finished last in every race.

There maybe some who disagree I'm sure, but I have sailed slow boring boats, but I would guess you haven't sailed boats like we have. And don't say our boats are only for the young and fit. Most of the boats are very easy to handle and one of the fastest boats is sailed by guys in their 40's.

So really my point is, don't knock it till you tried it, go to a demo day or get to the worlds and ask an owner if you could go for a sail. I'm sure you will come back smiling.

Peace

what do ya (seriously) think Euro F1 outfits and Sportsboat* sailors from outside the U.S. think of these 'media' beauties Clean

anyone have a clue what this means??? anyone at all???

I have a feeling that an exclusionalist is appalled at being excluded but am not really sure.

anyhooo....more power to the SA worlds championship of world champion sportboatishness or not. I'm not quite sure what it all means but am loving the concept and hope to be there to witness this fine event if Qantas says yes for the right amount of money. The missus has already said it's ok to stay another week...wooohooo!!

The shitfight in this thread is some of your best work Ed. Well done. Ya gottem all <golf claps>

I have a feeling that an exclusionalist is appalled at being excluded but am not really sure.

anyhooo....more power to the SA worlds championship of world champion sportboatishness or not. I'm not quite sure what it all means but am loving the concept and hope to be there to witness this fine event if Qantas says yes for the right amount of money. The missus has already said it's ok to stay another week...wooohooo!!

The shitfight in this thread is some of your best work Ed. Well done. Ya gottem all <golf claps>

In the case of Australia's resident village idiot, the one word is WANKER!

In the case of Australia's resident village idiot, the one word is WANKER!

So you going around quoting him makes you a clever cunt!

Fucking magilla performance monkey puller!

Your just a resultless tool magilla! Fuck off!

Seemed to do alright in the Geneve - Rolle - Geneve on on the weekend... Hopefully we can back it up this weekend in the Bol D'Or.

Look forward to seeing you in Lake Macquarie next Easter for the CBH Nationals...BTW, have you won one of those either driving or crewing? If so, well done, but talk is worthless unless you can back it up Slapper....

Seemed to do alright in the Geneve - Rolle - Geneve on on the weekend... Hopefully we can back it up this weekend in the Bol D'Or.

Look forward to seeing you in Lake Macquarie next Easter for the CBH Nationals...BTW, have you won one of those either driving or crewing? If so, well done, but talk is worthless unless you can back it up Slapper....

Never won a thing and dont care troll!

Hang on im as good as you now, i won a meat tray once monkey fucker!

Too bad it conflicts with viper nationals..

Viper NA's are the weekend before. :D Sept 17-20

Is this being held on the left coast b/c the right coast sailors are faster, better and better at the tent... Just asking...

Ultimate 20 Layla is signed up. We now have two SF boats. San Diego U20 folks please lay your money down.

Is this being held on the left coast b/c the right coast sailors are faster, better and better at the tent... Just asking...

Is this being held in the States b/c the Aussie sailors are faster, better and better at the tent and with the women... Just asking...

Fixed

Hey! I say F**** em if they get their panties in a bunch. Besides, if they cause trouble for the WSBChofTW they'll just further alienate the core of the sport here at SA.

It's hard to say "just fuck 'em" when they have the power to ban anyone who takes part in the "world" championship.

It's a threat they've laid against other classes in the past, and it's pretty bloody effective.

And in some ways, surely it's understandable that someone should try to stop people calling everything a "world" championship. It's not a good look among sponsors or the public, which may fuck things up for the sport.

surely it's understandable that someone should try to stop people calling everything a "world" championship.

No it isn't.

It certainly isn't English or any other recognised language. Just the usual gibberish that we expect?

surely it's understandable that someone should try to stop people calling everything a "world" championship.

No it isn't.

With respect, that's not exactly a reasoned argument, Clean.

What about the fact that the sport looks pretty damn silly with 429 world champions? A huge number of people outside the US think it's a joke that there are things like the "world series" that only get entries from one nation - why bother to give sailing the same bad image?

What about the fact that having anyone able to call their title a "world championship" means there's no differentiation between a 'real' worlds, with sailors from maybe 20-40 nations fighting it out, and a regatta that attracts anyone who bothers to turn up from two or three countries?

Do you reckon it's fine that 3 Macgregor sailors from Bumfuck Lake in outback Oz could get together for a regatta and call it a worlds? Where do you stop? Hell, why can't I run 18 different world championships this weekend, with just one entrant?

Dunno, it seems like calling an event that may only get sailors from a couple of countries a "world title" is just a lame attempt to hype it up into something it's not. The real world is a big place, and it's not just three or four countries.

No it isn't.

What about the fact that the sport looks pretty damn silly with 429 world champions? A huge number of people outside the US think it's a joke that there are things like the "world series" that only get entries from one nation - why bother to give sailing the same bad image?

What about the fact that having anyone able to call their title a "world championship" means there's no differentiation between a 'real' worlds, with sailors from maybe 20-40 nations fighting it out, and a regatta that attracts anyone who bothers to turn up from two or three countries?

Do you reckon it's fine that 3 Macgregor sailors from Bumfuck Lake in outback Oz could get together for a regatta and call it a worlds? Where do you stop? Hell, why can't I run 18 different world championships this weekend, with just one entrant?

Dunno, it seems like calling an event that may only get sailors from a couple of countries a "world title" is just a lame attempt to hype it up into something it's not. The real world is a big place, and it's not just three or four countries.

It's just a word Chris, and ownership of it should be illegal, and at least under US law, probably is. ISAF has other, more legal and ethically sound solutions, at hand. One of which is the fact that ISAF accreditation of a CLASS can have different consequences, since everyone that joins a Class has a contractual relationship with the Class, and can be restricted from all sorts of things on that basis. The second is that ISAF can use their cool logo to stamp things with their seal of approval, as the "true" arbiter of what is a World Championship. E.g. if you don't win the ISAF Worlds for your class/whatever, you only won the minor league version.

Just a word, and it only has power when you restrict it.

OK, we'll show up. World championship or lame mill around for a few days with Chris's Bumfuck MacGregors - no worries should be fun.

Any chance you can add some crap to the site about stuff like where to stay, logistics and that? I am sure that might help getting a few more foreign boats.

No it isn't.

It's just a word Chris, and ownership of it should be illegal, and at least under US law, probably is. ISAF has other, more legal and ethically sound solutions at hand. One of which is the fact that ISAF accreditation of a CLASS can have different consequences, since everyone that joins a Class has a contractual relationship with the Class, and can be restricted from all sorts of things on that basis. The second is that ISAF can use their cool logo to stamp things with their seal of approval, as the "true" arbiter of what is a World Championship. E.g. if you don't win the ISAF Worlds for your class/whatever, you only won the minor league version.

I am Spartacus !

HAH !! i had a feeling it wasn't Essex !

No it isn't.

It's just a word Chris, and ownership of it should be illegal, and at least under US law, probably is. ISAF has other, more legal and ethically sound solutions at hand. One of which is the fact that ISAF accreditation of a CLASS can have different consequences, since everyone that joins a Class has a contractual relationship with the Class, and can be restricted from all sorts of things on that basis. The second is that ISAF can use their cool logo to stamp things with their seal of approval, as the "true" arbiter of what is a World Championship. E.g. if you don't win the ISAF Worlds for your class/whatever, you only won the minor league version.

It is not the word that is important Clean, it is the connotation. The word is not owned, the connotation and the rights to hold are, and that is legal in respects to the contracts that have been agreed to, and signed, by all NA's, as I am well sure you are aware of, and due to your profession I would have thought you would have understood. Not all of us are bound by such overly binding document such as the Ted Stevens document. Which by the way in my non legal opinion does not effect any international competition nor selection for such in the US.

As such, all of the NA's HAVE signed a contract to use ISAF's cool logo, you know this, as have all of the international classes, so why do you post something which is purely designed to cause a fight, rather than add a solution?

It only has power when you restrict it is your inference? What a stupid statement. Of course it does. But where is the kudos in winning a worlds that no one has control of, so there are 100 000 different versions of them? Mr Clean wins the World Championship of His Bath Tub for the 15th year running. Kinda doesn't wash, does it?

Clean, you do a great new media job, but sometimes you stick your head up too far and like ALL media gone astray, you need to be called if it is warranted.

Called.

+1

Ed,

What about granting ______ seconds per mile to any boat with a stripper on board as crew?

Does it have to be a Category 3 stripper or will the allowance be granted to ISAF (International Strippers Afloat Federation) Category 1 strippers as well?

This would certainly resolve the issue of whether this is an ISAF "World" championchip or not.

It is not the word that is important Clean, it is the connotation. The word is not owned, the connotation and the rights to hold are, and that is legal in respects to the contracts that have been agreed to, and signed, by all NA's, as I am well sure you are aware of, and due to your profession I would have thought you would have understood. Not all of us are bound by such overly binding document such as the Ted Stevens document. Which by the way in my non legal opinion does not effect any international competition nor selection for such in the US.

As such, all of the NA's HAVE signed a contract to use ISAF's cool logo, you know this, as have all of the international classes, so why do you post something which is purely designed to cause a fight, rather than add a solution?

It only has power when you restrict it is your inference? What a stupid statement. Of course it does. But where is the kudos in winning a worlds that no one has control of, so there are 100 000 different versions of them? Mr Clean wins the World Championship of His Bath Tub for the 15th year running. Kinda doesn't wash, does it?

Clean, you do a great new media job, but sometimes you stick your head up too far and like ALL media gone astray, you need to be called if it is warranted.

Called.

Fair argument Advo, but IMO it only applies to a real class. "Sportboat" means a dozen things to a dozen people, as evidenced by the numerous threads on the subject, even here. No one can reasonably say that it is a definite concept like, say, "12 Metre" or "SB3".

That's why creating a parody concept like "Sportboat World Championship of the World" is not designed to start a fight, merely to do something fun and different.

Ed,

What about granting ______ seconds per mile to any boat with a stripper on board as crew?

I vote the same number of seconds as the height of her heels. Full work attire necessary, of course.

Ed,

Does it have to be a Category 3 stripper or will the allowance be granted to ISAF (International Strippers Afloat Federation) Category 1 strippers as well?

This would certainly resolve the issue of whether this is an ISAF "World" championchip or not.

Cat 3 Pro's. The real deal. No "I was in a wet t-shirt contest in college 40 years ago" BS, and no "retirees' either.

Also, protests could be resolved by a strip-off - and I will be the first volunteer judge.