zeyang

boatbuilding

Zeyang has put an abomination of a depth transducer housing on the side of his hull. If you're on FB, take a look but bring your Kleenex.

Zeyang has put an abomination of a depth transducer housing on the side of his hull. If you're on FB, take a look but bring your Kleenex.

what's the FB link or what is he called on FB

Sailing the farm is now in Mindelo Cape Verde on way south to Brazil.
If you want to join, please contact us..

post-37445-0-06731800-1487788359_thumb.jpg

Sailing the farm is now in Mindelo Cape Verde on way south to Brazil.

If you want to join, please contact us..

attachicon.gifxx.jpg

do you already know which ports are you going to stop down here in brazil?

I don't mean to gloat, but it is not difficult to add curvature to the plates, thereby creating a streamlined shape.

However, these fancier shapes take more time to build. We should not forget that zeyang is actually out there sailing the oceans while myself (and others) toil in perpetuity.

Steve

b2jcJUu.jpg

Guilty as charged, Panope. It's only because I think Zeyang and his team have done such a beautiful job on the rest of her that I cried when I saw the transducer box.

Arrived Salvador. Now back to welding

post-37445-0-18889300-1489965191_thumb.jpg

Arrived Salvador. Now back to welding

Welcome to my country (although I am located far far south from Salvador).

My message: Building that streamlined transducer mount was play time.

I also enjoy using the boat on the water.

Steve

And for some people "That'll do" is a way of life.

I don't mean to gloat, but it is not difficult to add curvature to the plates, thereby creating a streamlined shape.

However, these fancier shapes take more time to build. We should not forget that zeyang is actually out there sailing the oceans while myself (and others) toil in perpetuity.

Steve

b2jcJUu.jpg

Message ? Obsessive perfectionism maximizes your toil ,while minimizing play time.Always do a cost- benefit analysis before wasting too much play time on nit picking details. That has drastically minimized my toil , and eventually eliminated it almost completely.( which really pisses off my critics)

Makes your boat damned ugly and slow too. Well done!

This:post-25282-0-45136000-1490740220_thumb.jpg

or this:

post-25282-0-77251900-1490740240_thumb.jpg

We are now in Salvador Brazil on 12 degrees south after 21 days of pleasant crossing from cape verde.

As on old sailing ship crossing equator line Neptune came onboard to baptist the crew, thankfully she didn't use tar and feather as in old days so it was pretty easy to clean off the barber foam, then they was eligible to have a anchor tattoo with name of their loved ones. Some had problem remember their boyfriends name for a second it seems :)
Rest of journey from 0 degree to 12 degrees south was with a couple of days of calm weather until we hit the easterly wind on the south side and then straight for Salvador.
Salvador was discovered in 1501 and soon became the main trade route for Portugal and a slave trade port. I'm curious the route they sailed empty back to Africa to get more slaves. Going straight east is hard so they might go south to catch the westerly wind down there. Portugal had some 30.000 voyages shipping more than 4.5 million slaves between Africa and Brazil.

Anyway our plan is going south into colder climate again. Hopefully all way down the south American continent before we have to decide if we want to explore African side or west side of south America (if wind and weather permits) .

If you want to join please send us an email.

Love
Sailing The Farm
A Seagypsy Tribe of Tomorrow

post-37445-0-61460900-1492684393_thumb.jpg

post-37445-0-73925600-1492684406_thumb.jpg

post-37445-0-84186000-1492684413_thumb.jpg

post-37445-0-35512400-1492684419_thumb.jpg

Zeyang: Thank yo for the update. You guys are a refreshing antidote to many other boat building dreams that never make it off the beach. Keep enjoying Edit: ....like I have to remind you ;-)

+1. Except for the beard, Queen Neptune looks pretty hot!

long days of working

make ready for next leg down to sao Paulo

post-37445-0-45035300-1493660761_thumb.jpg

Wow! Crashing out on checkerplate - that's what I call exhausted. :o

It helps that it's probably 38C outside.

we have fallen in love with the Atlantic ocean. since its getting close to winter further south and hard to reach Patagonia with our small engine this time of the year. we decided to explore north Atlantic summer and hopefully also look for a place to replace our 30 hp engine somewhere north.  look out for a perkins 4.236 for us please and also tips of a  good place to work on the boat for some months where its not too hot.....  and yes... if you want to join us going north, please send us a message.

On 5/28/2017 at 5:28 AM, zeyang said:

we have fallen in love with the Atlantic ocean. since its getting close to winter further south and hard to reach Patagonia with our small engine this time of the year. we decided to explore north Atlantic summer and hopefully also look for a place to replace our 30 hp engine somewhere north.  look out for a perkins 4.236 for us please and also tips of a  good place to work on the boat for some months where its not too hot.....  and yes... if you want to join us going north, please send us a message.

A Perkins 4.236 is rated at 67 hp.

A 400 series 3 cylinder Perkins rates around 30 hp. 

Some conflict here.

Look for the engine number on your old engine post it here and I can help with the ID

3 hours ago, TQA said:

A Perkins 4.236 is rated at 67 hp.

A 400 series 3 cylinder Perkins rates around 30 hp. 

Some conflict here.

Look for the engine number on your old engine post it here and I can help with the ID

I think their current engine is a Sabb diesel of around 30 HP (its somewhere up this thread), which they found lacking. That is why they are looking to repower with a Perkins 4.236.

3 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I think their current engine is a Sabb diesel of around 30 HP (its somewhere up this thread), which they found lacking. That is why they are looking to repower with a Perkins 4.236.

Ah that makes sense. 

On 6/27/2017 at 9:07 PM, plenamar said:

Are you planning to come to Buenos Aires? 

Yes. We was in buenos aires for 2 months.

Merry christmas and a happy new year from sailing the farm.

Plan this winter is:

1. Change engine to 100 hp.

2. Built deckhouse to survive sailing in arctic/antarctic areas.

As always, if you want to join us  just send us message in a bottle ..

christmas.jpg

On 4/20/2017 at 9:16 AM, py26129 said:

Zeyang: Thank yo for the update. You guys are a refreshing antidote to many other boat building dreams that never make it off the beach. Keep enjoying Edit: ....like I have to remind you ;-)

Thanks. as they say. sailing is same as  working on the boat in exotic places :-)

Hi Zeyang!  Great to see you drop in, happy new year!

14 hours ago, zeyang said:

Thanks. as they say. sailing is same as  working on the boat in exotic places :-)

Found an engine yet? If you get this far with the Sabb 30 HP I'll happily take it off your hands, provided it's got the controllable pitch prop setup. I've always wanted one of those to play with.

FKT

I’m guessing the nymphs are no longer wearing bikinis...

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

I’m guessing the nymphs are no longer wearing bikinis...

Babes in fur are at least as hot as bikinis.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Babes in fur are at least as hot as bikinis.

Much warmer in those latitudes. The bikini babes are babesickles there.

Nice...go the farm! - except for the snow part. Got too far south I guess...

Spent the evening reading the whole thread.  What a great story and lucky/hard working guy.  Nice that he's checked in after ~18 months of having fun.  Face book is confusing to me but it seems to allude that the boat is back in Norway now.  Anyone know if thats true?

Just read this thread start to finish.... Unbelievable story, thanks for sharing it. Its a very motivational read

On 11/16/2016 at 11:14 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

Indeed.

Is that Zeyang in the middle of a taco convention? He always said, 'build the farm, and the chicks will show up', or something. B)

Sadly most of them are pregnant or have babies today so lost some really good crew.

But we are back to working now, will need a wheel/deckhouse. its too cold sail without one. Also engine is important.

You brought us along this far Z, we're all pulling for you.  We'd like to see how its going,  So......

Is the boat in Norway again? 

Also curious about the lead ballast, did you have to add or move any of it after launch?

Will you need to alter the rudder/keel prop aperture for a larger engine?  

Lastly, does the hull seem as stout as you hoped?  My dad converted a 40', 1930's work boat to a motor sailor and dang that thing was a beast.  2" planking, big oak ribs.  So how does your aluminum build "stack up"?

I don't think I saw any thing about a blog, do you have one?  I just don't get FB, its too confusing, just an unorganized mish mash from what I see.  I don't have the patience to filter out all the noise to see what you are doing.

Thank you for sharing your incredible story on this thread.  As someone said, you've got a great (enviable) business plan.  

9 hours ago, zeyang said:

Sadly most of them are pregnant or have babies today so lost some really good crew.

But we are back to working now, will need a wheel/deckhouse. its too cold sail without one. Also engine is important.

Shoulda had a little bowl of birth control pills and a bucket of condoms in the head....

Yeah - I thought his comment had some "opportunities" about it. :D

On 1/4/2019 at 12:55 PM, eric1207 said:

You brought us along this far Z, we're all pulling for you.  We'd like to see how its going,  So......

Is the boat in Norway again? 

Also curious about the lead ballast, did you have to add or move any of it after launch?

Will you need to alter the rudder/keel prop aperture for a larger engine?  

Lastly, does the hull seem as stout as you hoped?  My dad converted a 40', 1930's work boat to a motor sailor and dang that thing was a beast.  2" planking, big oak ribs.  So how does your aluminum build "stack up"?

I don't think I saw any thing about a blog, do you have one?  I just don't get FB, its too confusing, just an unorganized mish mash from what I see.  I don't have the patience to filter out all the noise to see what you are doing.

Thank you for sharing your incredible story on this thread.  As someone said, you've got a great (enviable) business plan.  

Try to answer your questions.

there is not really any blog. Some updates on facebook, forums etc. But they closest are most detailed place (technically is) weldingweb under project and pictures. (warning its quite long) Agree that FB is a mess. We consider getting our own webpage, but welding have higher priority sofar.

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?29094-alu-sailboat-buliding/page77

Boat is  in norway after sailing norway-brazil- norway last year. We see we need more modifcation. like deckhouse and engine plus get rid of small stuff who eats sails and ropes. (long list here)  Building up a workshop in downtown oslo close to the boat.

re Lead: we have between 6 and 7 tonns of lead in keel. It had to be moved back when boat hit the water. Now it seems quite balanced but maybe a little heavy.

Will not need to alter prop or keel aperture. its space for 610 mm prop. engine have to be moved forward through bulkhead or up, depends whats easiest. Today the engine is horizontal, so if we keep that system we need move it forward to add space for longer/wider engine.

Hull has been working perfectly sofar. I cant point at anything there. Ofcourse  she is  a slow boat. weight 24 tonns, long keel etc. Might make her faster by getting more sails and higher masts but she has been sailing in areas with little wind and also from not the best angle gaff-rig wise. (on starboard or port tack for weeks up atlantic) Downwind she will work better, but who wants to sail just downwind?

On 11/5/2015 at 5:48 PM, Bob Perry said:

I trust my eye first. It is a finely tuned instrument. The fact that I see things that others don't see is what makes me a designer. Sounds kind of pompous but I believe it. It's just the pompetus of my eye.

OK where did that obscure reference come from? No Googling. And I want the original reference not the 35 year old one.

You see, in my head I can see Zee's boat with the bulwark as I imagine it. I can see my bulwark detail just as plainly as you can see Zee's.

Interesting comment. How should the bulwark be you think? divided up into two planks? make bulwark lower?

This is RS1 the first built by colin archer.

01.jpg

Go the zeyang..It figures they are all getting pregnant, with all the down time while sailing across oceans.

Just make sure the baby daddy is identified to solve the child support issues in case they don't stay together. :-)

I am also interested to see what Mr. Perry has to say on bulwarks. I know ZERO about them.

52 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Go the zeyang..It figures they are all getting pregnant, with all the down time while sailing across oceans.

Just make sure the baby daddy is identified to solve the child support issues in case they don't stay together. :-)

I am also interested to see what Mr. Perry has to say on bulwarks. I know ZERO about them.

I prefer them above the sheer line.

On 1/5/2019 at 12:39 AM, Raz'r said:

Shoulda had a little bowl of birth control pills and a bucket of condoms in the head....

Too late, at least for some.  Here is one lady. Really hard working, then something happened. But t-shirt on toodler is cool . She was brushing pre-welds for weeks. Never complained. 

post-37445-127213574528.jpg

41729126_2082452458454459_6088836034433384448_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/17/2009 at 8:53 AM, zeyang said:

hi list, im building me a colin archer in lapstrake. hopefully finish next year.  size is 40 feet. aluminium in hull is 8 mm. Shape and look will be in just like a wooden boat. 

What do you think?

zeyang

post-37445-1245221490_thumb.jpg

post-37445-1245221513_thumb.jpg

Finish next year. That was 2009. Makes me embarrassed. Finished in 2016 sort if,. Now we are back to make her perfect. But I think  its better not understand time consumed in future , if you knew that next 7 years will be mostly inside a Boatshed it will be less homebuilt project out there. Plenty of sacrifices but also plenty of joys. Many people ask if we do it again, and answer is: next time we build her twice as big :)

z

• Like 1

Nothing to be embarrassed about, Z.  You enjoy building - it does not matter how long it takes.  Bonus that you also like sailing.

Boat will never be perfect.  There will always be  something to change, thankfully.

Great that you chose a style of vessel that, while rooted in tradition, you are not constrained in what you can do.  

The Pilothouse will be great. 

Steve

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zeyang said:

Too late, at least for some.  Here is one lady. Really hard working, then something happened. But t-shirt on toodler is cool . She was brushing pre-welds for weeks. Never complained. 

post-37445-127213574528.jpg

41729126_2082452458454459_6088836034433384448_n.jpg

Both are adorable.

Just now, chester said:

zeyang, did the toddler go sailing with you?

Not that one but.this one and this nice lady for a while. 

Fun to have kids onboard. Keep you busy 24 hours a day :)

Screenshot_20181210-141731.png

• Like 2

Talking about kids. I think it should be compulsory for them to sail square or gaff riggers :) need brainwash from young age else they might end up on a Bermuda rig or heroin addicts, whichever is worse :)

https://youtu.be/WKS-bGcoZW4

Screenshot_20190107-163614.png

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 8:59 PM, zeyang said:

Finish next year. That was 2009. Makes me embarrassed. Finished in 2016 sort if,. Now we are back to make her perfect. But I think  its better not understand time consumed in future , if you knew that next 7 years will be mostly inside a Boatshed it will be less homebuilt project out there. Plenty of sacrifices but also plenty of joys. Many people ask if we do it again, and answer is: next time we build her twice as big :)

Ha ha ha.

Just moved mine from the marina working berth to her mooring this morning. Still a fair amount of work to do on the rigging etc but she moved on her own bottom and engine for the first time.

I was making jokes about what I'd build next now I had an empty shed and some idea of what I was actually doing. The Chief Cook and Financial Controller was not amused. There was mutterings about departures and leaving me behind to build 'whatever you want dear'......

FKT

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Ha ha ha.

Just moved mine from the marina working berth to her mooring this morning. Still a fair amount of work to do on the rigging etc but she moved on her own bottom and engine for the first time.

I was making jokes about what I'd build next now I had an empty shed and some idea of what I was actually doing. The Chief Cook and Financial Controller was not amused. There was mutterings about departures and leaving me behind to build 'whatever you want dear'......

FKT

Good to hear she moved under her own steam, well done!

Whenever i get asked when i plan to go sailing, i say June. 

I just don't specify which June i mean...

Building up a workshop close to the boat.  (smack downtown oslo)

Need more space so we decide to make a shed outside.

01.jpeg

03.jpeg

02.jpeg

Worn out after 1 year of sailing. Crappy quality? Its stamped germany on them.

sjakkel2.jpg

sjakkel1.jpg

Doesn't matter what's stamped on them, it's still bronze versus steel for millions of cycles.

One year of sailing is a lot different than one year of sailing for a couple of hours every two weeks...  

A little welding and good to go?

Better the hank than the forestay...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Better the hank than the forestay...

Definitely...