Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rennmaus

CZ has an engine and powered winches

Info from someone in Argentina, who says this is true.

Another rumor or another round of litigation?

EB totally nuts or leading us on?

Ditto. Simple amendment to the NOR and SIs to include powered systems, and with all the precedent in regattas worldwide, this (IMHO) will be hard to battle against.

I wonder if there's a precedent in any previous regatta run by the SNG. Anyone like to check? If so, even harder to defeat.

Could the "engine" be a genset supplying DC power, instead of batteries, which can then be used to drive the electro-hydraulic winch drives? They are allowed DC power onboard (for the electronics, etc), just can't recall how much.

it definitely wouldn't surprise me to have powered winches, after just sailing on alfa I can see why they have them

Just in from the spy who loves us...

post-18089-1246485745_thumb.png

it definitely wouldn't surprise me if they have powered vibrators, after just sexing up Alf I can see why they have them

Twinky,

Does your mom know that she left the computer on?

h

it definitely wouldn't surprise me if they have powered vibrators, after just sexing up Alf I can see why they have them

Twinky,

h

Fuck off heckler, you could try and contribute once in a while on these forums. By the way, I think you mixed up your online sex chat with forum posting on that quote ^^^

Twinky,

h

Fuck me heckler, how come you let me off so easy?

kid, you crack me up.

When she comes back from the store, ask your mom how to

Find Member's Posts....

h

If CZ has powered systems, what does it mean?

Does it mean DZ is toast?

The end of the AC as we know it?

Stored Power Is A Breeze:

This from Scuttlebutt

"The past two days I had the luck and privilege of getting to go sailing on

(Reichel Pugh 100) Alfa Romeo-one of the coolest, sweetest, prettiest, and not

to mention FASTEST super-maxis in the world of sailing. With winches powered

by push buttons, I felt like the smallest grinder in the world as I mainsheet

and traveler caddied on board. The first year that Transpac is letting in

boats with stored power has allowed Alfa Romeo's owner Neville Crichton to

come back to the Transpac after doing the race 30 years ago!

If CZ has powered systems, what does it mean?

Does it mean DZ is toast?

The end of the AC as we know it?

If CZ or any other boat has powered systems it is not a sailboat. Powered systems were "invented" by owners of tapered turd leadmines that are still trying to beat multi-hulls.

On one hand you have a boat that does not violate Rule 42, Rule 51, or Rule 52 that sails 700+ nm miles in 24 hours. On the other hand you have a bunch of jack-offs high fiving each other for sailing 600 nm in 24 hours with a diesel engine running ...

Powered systems make a farce out of sailing.

+1, but I would add all of those speed/distance record breaking "sailboats" that utilize power systems and the jag-offs that design & drive them deserve an "*" next to their name & the record.

The Barry Bonds & Mark Mcqwires of sailing.

+1, but I would add all of those speed/distance record breaking "sailboats" that utilize power systems and the jag-offs that design & drive them deserve an "*" next to their name & the record.

You should be happy to note that the folk at the WSSRC agree ... they said they had to accept the "records" because the ISAF allowed them. Time to give the ISAF a swift kick and make them go sailing.

Rule 51 should be cut. Many of the purest sailing machines on the planet use movable ballast in the form of crew. Crew moves under its own power, hence does not violate Rule 52 "Manual Power".

If these knot heads can move the ballast manually and set records, fine. No "Monohull" class ... the bar is 795 mn in 24 hours. If you can do that without using stored power, you get you name in the book. For all the stupor maxi guys that move the ballast with a button ...

You're gay, you aren't sailing, and you might as well stay home and jerk off.

You should be happy to note that the folk at the WSSRC agree ... they said they had to accept the "records" because the ISAF allowed them. Time to give the ISAF a swift kick and make them go sailing.

Rule 51 should be cut. Many of the purest sailing machines on the planet use movable ballast in the form of crew. Crew moves under its own power, hence does not violate Rule 52 "Manual Power".

If these knot heads can move the ballast manually and set records, fine. No "Monohull" class ... the bar is 795 mn in 24 hours. If you can do that without using stored power, you get you name in the book. For all the stupor maxi guys that move the ballast with a button ...

20. OFFSHORE WORLD RECORDS

f. Powered sailing systems. In addition, any of these record categories can also apply to a vessel with powered sailing systems (see 21c.) but these are listed separately and can never be regarded as the 'outright record' for a course.

21. SAILING RULES

c. Powered sailing systems

Vessels with powered sailing systems can apply for ratification of any record but will be listed as a separate category. A vessel is so categorized if any of the sailsetting, reefing, furling or sheeting functions employ mechanical power. Natural forces must always remain the sole means of propulsion.

Powered Sailing Systems Records under WSSR Rule 21 ©

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/index.php?...6&Itemid=26

f. Powered sailing systems. In addition, any of these record categories can also apply to a vessel with powered sailing systems (see 21c.) but these are listed separately and can never be regarded as the 'outright record' for a course.

21. SAILING RULES

Vessels with powered sailing systems can apply for ratification of any record but will be listed as a separate category. A vessel is so categorized if any of the sailsetting, reefing, furling or sheeting functions employ mechanical power. Natural forces must always remain the sole means of propulsion.

This is why the Volvo motor boats are still listed under monohull records. Using power to move ballast doesn't count ... Boats that can't even sail under the rules (without exemption) claim "records".

The Maxi Multies built for 'The Race' were all hand powered.

Rules of 'The Race' was build the fastest boat you can to circumnavigate the world....... But must be hand powered

For the record, this info is neither shocking nor new.

Tim Jeffries broke this story in the (I think) April Sea Horse.

But the info yesterday came as a confirmation of the TJ assumption.

the japanese actually make screw boats

today's quiz, why?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/a...su_Garinko1.JPG

Flavoured ice crushing?? :P

Powering through magma?

Godzilla and Mothra can detect props too easily?

If its anything like toronto, it due to weeds, no not weed, weeds..

Guys you have it all wrong, someone in Zimbabwe who has it from a source deep within somebody's throat, has pm'd to inform that the venue for the Dogfight will be chosen with one major criterium : a guarantee of no wind or as little as possible.

Cheesezilla will not work with water ballast, instead it will be -at start- ballasted with a highly concentrated mix of onion & cabbage & sprout juice.

Crew will be selected (BB is already a certainty) on their prowess and speed at digesting this highly concentrated mix from the ballast tanks and their capacity to convert it into highly sulphuric hot air.

Propulsion of CZ will therefore be by farting in the general direction of both the sails and the adversary.

Rumour has it too, but this is not confirmed since that other spy from Ulan Batur has gone awol, that evil Ernie has had the cunning foresight to buy all worldwide stock of gasmasks.

Next Dogfight will be a gas indeed.

While I understand where you and everyone that is against stored power is coming from, and as supporting evidence we need not look farther than Joyon's most recent circumnavigation, I will also remind you that a similar argument was had over fiberglass, carbon and GPS.

There are some still alive that remember the horror of the fiberglass boat. And while I am the first to agree that there is nothing like the sounds, the feel and the smell of sailing a well maintained wooden boat, that experience is now a relative novelty. And if I were a gambler, I'd give generous odds that most here on this forum have not had that experience.

The subject of carbon is more recent, but more than a few classes have evaporated losing that argument.

GPS (and all the tech attached to it), introduced last week, has got to be the greatest thing ever that has, at the same time, put more unwitting novices in harms way. Luckily, GPS was quickly followed by cell phones and the internet; the former allowing these people to call for hep even though they don't know how to use the radio (who has it on anymore, anyway?), the latter keeping them tethered to their computer and the latest entertainment news, therefore only out for the day.

Powered winches will become an accepted norm. Just like fiberglass, carbon and satellite navigation. Probably not quite as popular. Maybe they should be segregated. I don't know. But there certainly is an argument that they should be allowed in the no holds barred AC.

h

While I understand where you and everyone that is against stored power is coming from, and as supporting evidence we need not look farther than Joyon's most recent circumnavigation, I will also remind you that a similar argument was had over fiberglass, carbon and GPS.

There are some still alive that remember the horror of the fiberglass boat. And while I am the first to agree that there is nothing like the sounds, the feel and the smell of sailing a well maintained wooden boat, that experience is now a relative novelty. And if I were a gambler, I'd give generous odds that most here on this forum have not even sailed a wooden boat.

The subject of carbon is more recent, but more than a few classes have evaporated losing that argument.

GPS (and all the tech attached to it), introduced last week, has got to be the greatest thing ever that has, at the same time, put more unwitting novices in harms way. Luckily, GPS was quickly followed by cell phones and the internet; the former allowing these people to call for hep even though they don't know how to use the radio (who has it on anymore, anyway?), the latter keeping them tethered to their computer and the latest entertainment news, therefore only out for the day.

Powered winches will become an accepted norm. Just like fiberglass, carbon and satellite navigation. Maybe they should be segregated. I don't know. But there certainly is an argument that they should be allowed in the no holds barred AC.

h

Human power and brains to use the action of wind and waves is not altered by the material used to build the boat. The expense goes down (glassfibre) or up (carbon/boron), but the sailing part is the same.

As soon as you fire up the Diesel, you may as well use it drive a prop, you have stopped sailing.

On the other hand, if the energy system is at zero and only energy from the wind and waves is used, it is all good. Like KERS in F1, if a designer can find a way to use wind power to trim the sails it would hard to argue with. I'd even allow you to store energy between tacks.

Great huge wind powered generators charging a big battery bank to run the winches ... ok ...

Great huge Diesel engine burning dead dino's to run the winches ... not ok ...

;)

Great huge wind powered generators charging a big battery bank to run the winches ... ok ...

If the energy generated goes straight to the winch motors - fine(ish). I wouldn't be terribly happy about that if it were to happen, but I'd imagine the power output required would require large windmills and therefore huge drag, crew beheaded by whilring blades and so on.

Once the energy goes to batteries, it's STORED there and, therefore, not ok for trimming etc.

If the energy generated goes straight to the winch motors - fine(ish). I wouldn't be terribly happy about that if it were to happen, but I'd imagine the power output required would require large windmills and therefore huge drag, crew beheaded by whilring blades and so on.

Once the energy goes to batteries, it's STORED there and, therefore, not ok for trimming etc.

I agree. There is a subtle difference between pumping energy onboard into a fuel tank and storing energy you extract from the wind. It would become a trade off between extra weight and drag to generate winch power vs any speed advantage powered systems would give you. In the interests of being green and all that, I can see wind powered systems being forward thinking, at least much more so than running a Diesel ... ;)

21. SAILING RULES

This is why the Volvo motor boats are still listed under monohull records. Using power to move ballast doesn't count ... Boats that can't even sail under the rules (without exemption) claim "records".

As I understand, the canting keel on vo70 can be moved by the grinders. I am not sure if that's how it is operated during the race though. Can anyone confirm it?

the japanese actually make screw boats

today's quiz, why?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/a...su_Garinko1.JPG

actually it's a tourist boat at the very northern port of mombetsu

during the winter relatively thin pack ice drifts into the harbour from the sea of okhotsk and normal boats end up trying to push a huge amount of ice plates in front of them

the screws on these boats drag the ice down, and the bow up, enough that the weight of the boat breaks the individual bits of ice and allows passage

not terribly efficient but novel enough that tourists will pay for a slow grinding trip round the harbour

http://hoships.bitandink.net/shipdata/2008/09/post-5.html

post-23477-1246581382_thumb.jpg

post-23477-1246581538_thumb.jpg