Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SimonN

CZ to be lighter than air.

I was chatting to somebody at a well knwn composites supplier who told me, in confidence, of a new core material used on CZ. Helium injected polystyrene extrusions (Hipe) is a new material that allows stuctures to be built that are literally lighter than air and which can "float". However, he also said that it was too flexible to use in spar construction so the boat does, in fact, weigh something and will displace a small amount. This will be countered by small hydrofoils so that CZ will not actually touch the water.

It seems that Alinghi have been speaking to ISAF as they are concerned that this will be seen as a plane rather than a boat. The SNG club rules seem unclear on this issue as flying a hull has always been part of their racing.

I was chatting to somebody at a well knwn composites supplier who told me, in confidence, of a new core material used on CZ. Helium injected polystyrene extrusions (Hipe) is a new material that allows stuctures to be built that are literally lighter than air and which can "float". However, he also said that it was too flexible to use in spar construction so the boat does, in fact, weigh something and will displace a small amount. This will be countered by small hydrofoils so that CZ will not actually touch the water.

It seems that Alinghi have been speaking to ISAF as they are concerned that this will be seen as a plane rather than a boat. The SNG club rules seem unclear on this issue as flying a hull has always been part of their racing.

If this 'HIPE' came from outside Swiss borders then we have a 'constructed in' problem. Of course SimonN, since you suport all things EB, this 'HIPE' would not be a problem for you, unless BO got it first.

So, how do you support this illegal 'HIPE'? :angry:

Obviously the foils will be reverse cambered to actually hold the boat DOWN; much like in F1 and other high performance vehicles.

I've been holding off speculating about this possibility; but some of what's been suggested sure does point that way. I do think it will be ~very~ light. If it is light enough to just barely touch the water then it will be incredible! How would they get the RM, though?

I've been holding off speculating about this possibility; but some of what's been suggested sure does point that way. I do think it will be ~very~ light. If it is light enough to just barely touch the water then it will be incredible! How would they get the RM, though?

Pump regular oxygen into the weather hull.

But that gets us back into the whole 'powered' issue again.

Ok , I've been sitting on this one . . . but I think it's finally time to reveal that CZ does use powered systems . . . the motive force being SUNLIGHT . . . The entire sail is a solid state thin film solar panel and provides enough solar energy to power the winches etc. . . . Not only that, but the battens are made of a unique morphing Ionic Polymer Metal Composite Material that is Platinum coated and allows the battens to be bent to the ideal camber and draught position via the ion exchange membrane at its core . . . Of course this allows the masthead camber to be inverted and provide righting moment rather than heeling moment - hence there is never any need to put a reef in . . . hence CZ has an upwind sail area of 3 x 10^3 m2. In the unlikely event that they fall behind rapid pulses sent to the battens (controlled by a rythmic force coupling wrislet attached to the helmsmans favourite hand) allows the battens to flap the sail and

. . .

Ok , I've been sitting on this one . . . but I think it's finally time to reveal that CZ does use powered systems . . . the motive force being SUNLIGHT . . . The entire sail is a solid state thin film solar panel and provides enough solar energy to power the winches etc. . . . Not only that, but the battens are made of a unique morphing Ionic Polymer Metal Composite Material that is Platinum coated and allows the battens to be bent to the ideal camber and draught position via the ion exchange membrane at its core . . . Of course this allows the masthead camber to be inverted and provide righting moment rather than heeling moment - hence there is never any need to put a reef in . . . hence CZ has an upwind sail area of 3 x 10^3 m2. In the unlikely event that they fall behind rapid pulses sent to the battens (controlled by a rythmic force coupling wrislet attached to the helmsmans favourite hand) allows the battens to flap the sail and
. . .

Guirri, you were told in quite clear terms that you were under the obligation not to disclose this information, given to you in confidence.

So, as per the agreements signed by you, we are sending now the colombian hitmen as agreed.

Be warned, again as per agreement, that your 2 hours head start commence now.

Good luck.

. . .

Already done !

82295.pdf

. . .

Guirri, you were told in quite clear terms that you were under the obligation not to disclose this information, given to you in confidence.

So, as per the agreements signed by you, we are sending now the colombian hitmen as agreed.

Be warned, again as per agreement, that your 2 hours head start commence now.

Good luck.

. . . oh well . . . now that I'm truly fucked . . . I might as well reveal this astonishing webcam footage of Alinghi's attempts to finally win a court case by augmenting the mental mobility of their legal team . . . apparently the three brain version that you see could finally understand and apply the concept of "having" . . . however there is no development time available to produce the four brain replicate that will be required to

. . .

. . .

Already done !

82295.pdf

Not Quite.

This is so 2001. I can say that with confidence b/c I used this as a marketing tool when we were building 505s back then. I issued an April 1, 2001 press release announcing the helium-injected vacuum bagging process we were using for construction to make the boats lighter.

Carbon

April 1st was some time back.

There is foamed styrene, and I would think any inert gas could be used, but it still has to have decent density to be structural, I think it is hard to outperform some of the Hexcel products in the short term. What you are claiming is a material that would float to the top of an enclosed truck trailer. Think about it.

Attention:

To those responding to 8 out of the top 10 current threads with a :seriouspost: or :seriousrebuttal:

You are extremely dense.

Stop it.

Just saying.

That is all.

Attention:

To those responding to 8 out of the top 10 current threads with a :seriouspost: or :seriousrebuttal:

You are extremely dense.

Which 8?

Just curious...

h

You are also dense.

Be careful.

In your three previous posts, you've

1. stated the obvious

2. written a sentence that states that F1 cars and other high performance vehicles use reverse camber foils. While practicing what you decried in your prior post

3. given orders on an anonymous intergalactic forum.

All this, less than 40 posts into your SA career.

I don't know the exact definition of dense, but...

h

This is so 2001. I can say that with confidence b/c I used this as a marketing tool when we were building 505s back then. I issued an April 1, 2001 press release announcing the helium-injected vacuum bagging process we were using for construction to make the boats lighter.

Carbon

It actually dates from an International Moth prank done on April 1, 1976! We printed a story in a class mag about a group of us building boats out of HIPE and that the boats would sail with only the foils in the water. Considering the way moths foil today, it was quite profetic.

Carbon

It actually dates from an International Moth prank done on April 1, 1976! We printed a story in a class mag about a group of us building boats out of HIPE and that the boats would sail with only the foils in the water. Considering the way moths foil today, it was quite profetic.

+1

I'm actually slightly surprised conniving little ernesto hasn't at least tried something like this, seems like something he would try to do