Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

valenciasailing

Check the Alinghi tent coming down

I was there too early.... The crane was ready at 9am

Then to Le Bouveret, there is some 10 tenders ready, new posts with fenders and a long fender prepared wall, I think it will be moored alongside.

post-36609-1246807416_thumb.jpg

post-36609-1246807439_thumb.jpg

post-36609-1246807458_thumb.jpg

I don't see the green tarp?

Anyway, the shot with the heli test (what the heck is it carrying, a big mock-up? :blink: ) is taken from the west side of the Alinghi building, looking west, from about the same spot where LeB got lifted, and the recent 2 D35's too. The tan building with the red trim is actually unrelated. Last time we saw green tarps, they were in the back parking lot of this building (bldg is behind the camera) which would be to the left through that open gate, then left again to behind the building, pretty much under the highway.

Thanks for those other shots, Phillipe! If you don't mind looking like an idiot for us, then could you please measure the width of those parking lot (boat-space?) lines for us some time? I think that measurement could be fun for us, trying to figure new stuff starting soon?

post-17804-1246810312_thumb.jpg

the green tarp returns!!!

post-36309-1246807932_thumb.jpg

Is that an Alinghi guy taking a vid of our picturer taker?

The pic is from Alinghi-twit, not our Philippe. It is all Alinghi.

The copter appears to be a twin-rotor, right? I don't think the Mi 26 from Siberia was a twin, was it?

The copter appears to be a twin-rotor, right? I don't think the Mi 26 from Siberia was a twin, was it?

. . . ahem . . .

Kamov. There are many versions of coaxial Kamovs it appears.

Okay, but the rumor (or Alinghi-reported fact, even?) is that they would be using the Mi 26. It does not look like one in the pic, carrying that (whatever) test load.

Okay, but the rumor (or Alinghi-reported fact, even?) is that they would be using the Mi 26. It does not look like one in the pic, carrying that (whatever) test load.

Could be that a Mi 26 was booked out or turned out too big....imagine the downdraft of such a big chopper.

Would that be a 'spreader-bar' type rack to be used to lift it, needed because it is so large and fragile?

. . . ahem . . .

Thats so funny that I hope it is a joke, and its where I shop for my RC car bits as well.

Rotor config is spot on but I don't think they do a bird that would have the lift capacity.

Kamov's own airlift division states it can do external loads of up to 5T, but they are about to get an Mi-26 for loads up to 20T.

And no, I dont believe that CZ is less than 5 ton (metric).

Rotor config is spot on but I don't think they do a bird that would have the lift capacity.

Kamov's own airlift division states it can do external loads of up to 5T, but they are about to get an Mi-26 for loads up to 20T

The size of the heli in the pic suprized me too but on second thought it being coaxial and as you say 5t load limit seems sufficient. Or?

Sorry Klaxon, see my edit.

Thanks Advocate!

Or 5t referred to Kamov's old status quo?

Going to out on a limb here and call this a piss take.

Guirri, spot on, it is a frikkin model.

guess so too. the guy with the black shirt to the left has the rc control ....

The guy in the blue shirt holds the transmitter.

The guy in the black shirt 2nd from the left has the controls and is flying it, and look at the focus of all the bystanders.

Well done EB, didn't last long though did it.

as can clearly be seen by the guy in black (on the left) holding the rc transmitter.

lmao...you ac fanatics crack me up.

The guy in the blue shirt holds the transmitter.

Holy shiiiit!

as can clearly be seen by the guy in black (on the left) holding the rc transmitter.

Clearly now that it has been pointed out.

Oh, and as far as I am concerned, fanatics fly planes into buildings, enthusiasts take interest in things.

Oh, and as far as I am concerned, fanatics fly planes into buildings, enthusiasts take interest in things.

Thanks again Advocate!

A good lesson after all.

Didn't realize before, there's a large version:

35a28zr.jpg

Looks very real, and that is quite a mockup! :)

That's when I realised it too Stingray, found the bigger photo.

Bit of a laugh though, should remember not to try and analyse things at half 1 in the morning!

Didn't realize before, there's a large version:

35a28zr.jpg

Looks very real, and that is quite a mockup! :)

He's Russian, right, as the pilot?

'clearly' as in if you take a breath and actually look at the entire picture before going off half cocked on excitement

"All noble enthusiasms pass through a feverish stage, and grow wiser and more serene."

William Ellery Channing

Very good series there, super shots of everything.

I think there's a couple where you can just see where the (presumably curved) foils will be? On the underside of the port hull, thought I saw it.

Later, sunny Sunday afternoon here :)

There appears to be a straight line from the bows back to a point where the rocker starts to curve down, appearing to leave a long overhang at the bows, and thereby gaining sailing length when underway.

Yes, I agree we are being pulled. Since when is a copter bigger than A5? There isn't....

I think there's a couple where you can just see where the (presumably curved) foils will be? On the underside of the port hull, thought I saw it.

Looks like a couple of very small slots may be in those photos - with room for something long and slim in either straight or curved version.

Here's the link (again) to some Seb Schmidt-designed A-cat daggerboards used by Luc DuBois (both Alinghi designers):

http://scheurer.design.officelive.com/ACatCBlades.aspx

Here's a photo where it looks like they may be working on the casing with a vacuum below it, is it right under the main beam?

http://bymnews.com/photos/displayimage.php...6&pid=95832

Looks like a couple of very small slots may be in those photos - with room for something long and slim in either straight or curved version.

Here's the link (again) to some Seb Schmidt-designed A-cat daggerboards used by Luc DuBois (both Alinghi designers):

Here's a photo where it looks like they may be working on the casing with a vacuum below it, is it right under the main beam?

Bingo. There other one that shows it (just barely) is here

Btw, since I went back to find it and don't want to lose the link: Hoom says the hulls are about 6.75 gate lengths long. I agree. The question is around how long the gates are. Gates are the sections, along the length axis.

This post is just one of the posts where I figured them to be at 5.5m each.

Therefore, we are at about (6.75 gates * 5.5m/gate * 3.3ft/m) = 122 ft! (probably more like 115', but they are looong) Plus the extra part of the sprit for the boat's loa! The VAB is/was 145' long. These shots are great for nailing this down, something we can and should try do?

The guy in the red shirt sitting down gives it away: he's looking straight up at the RC Chopper which hovering over the concrete in front of him and his mates...

Bingo. There other one that shows it (just barely) is here

Btw, since I went back to find it and don't want to lose the link: Hoom says the hulls are about 6.75 gate lengths long. I agree. The question is around how long the gates are. Gates are the sections, along the length axis.

Therefore, we are at about (6.75 gates * 5.5m/gate * 3.3ft/m) = 122 ft! (probably more like 115', but they are looong) Plus the extra part of the sprit for the boat's loa! The VAB is/was 145' long. These shots are great for nailing this down, something we can and should try do?

The longer figure is probably right, that about 25% of the length of the hull will be off the water at rest (the front ~20' of the bows are hyper-thin, anyway). The boat may well sit in the water not all that differently from this little Acat we've looked at before, compare to this photo of LeBiggerBlack:

http://www.messmer-seiler.ch/scheurer/

http://bymnews.com/photos/displayimage.php...6&pid=95851

ps. If they want you to call it AlinghiV, then ask that they first send you a listing of which boats were #'s 1-4. I think I've seen Le Black referred to as both 4 and 5, so there's some confusion.

ps. If they want you to call it AlinghiV, then ask that they first send you a listing of which boats were #'s 1-4. I think I've seen Le Black referred to as both 4 and 5, so there's some confusion.

SUI 64

SUI 75

SUI 91

SUI 100

If they wanted it called anything but Cheezilla they should have been a little more open a long time ago instead of being so ultra secret up till the date of launch. Now they want it to be know as "Alinghi 5" , which represents what, 5 times the amount of misleading rumors released through back channels relative to facts they've disclosed ? If that's the case it should be "Alinghi 25" instead.

They are now stuck with the Cheezilla name and the associated Cheezy stigma as the press has already used the name, courtesy of none other than SA. The beauty of the power of the press.

SUI 64

SUI 75

SUI 91

SUI 100

Brian, I haven't had this problem myself, but others who own a series of both monohulls and multihulls (particularly around Geneva) have appeared to distinguish between them and kept a separate numbering for each category. See the Ylliams of the Firmenich family.

So I wasn't expecting the monos to be part of this accounting, but I'd be interested to see how Bertarelli has sorted this out.

With all the educated guesswork that has gone into this, I find it a little pathetic that no one on site can accurately MEASURE the building, one section, the length of BMWO's masts, etc. There should be no mystery at all about those numbers.

The boat may well sit in the water not all that differently from this little Acat we've looked at before:

A bit of overhang indeed!

post-10646-1246839420_thumb.jpg

This is my idea of the attitude of how the boat will sit at rest.

The boat may well sit in the water not all that differently from this little Acat we've looked at before:

Isn't it Load Water Line in the DoG.

Does this mean full crew and all (water) ballast?

Need a person on that A (about double the weight) to get the proper overhang.

Monsieur Pierre has two new CZ pictures on VS: http://valenciasailing.blogspot.com/2009/0...-alignhi-5.html

Take a look, there's much to see... :)

This just gets better and better!

Those 4 big cradle supports, are they centered on the 4 pads of the famous concrete? Looks to me like they may be shifted to the right in relation to them.

By the way a newer 'Scheurer A-Cat' with arced beams was posted today on Multihull Anarchy.

Isn't it Load Water Line in the DoG.

Does this mean full crew and all (water) ballast?

Need a person on that A (about double the weight) to get the proper overhang.

Yes, but I am sure they will trim it just right. Also it appears that the rocker starts a ways back from the bows so I feel she'll have a 'bow-up' attitude similar to this photo.

Looking at the VS photos, I do not see where you would have grinders for the winches, just trimmer pits.

Looks like motors and hydraulics to me.

Looking at the VS photos, I do not see where you would have grinders for the winches, just trimmer pits.

Agreed. Motorized :blink:

Are these the winches, do you think? Could the black thing, second from left, be for a pedestal?

post-17804-1246900343_thumb.jpg

Are these the winches, do you think? Could the black thing, second from left, be for a pedestal?

Yes, a set of winches I would say, still shrink-wrapped.

The black thing a pedestal, maybe, but room for just one grinder?

Yes wiches they are, the pedestal seems to me the wheel base, this would mean no grinder....

Now new pics coming in the next hour... here the first...

post-36609-1246900997_thumb.jpg

Yes, a set of winches I would say, still shrink-wrapped.

The black thing a pedestal, maybe, but room for just one grinder?

And that grinder better not lose his footing...he'd be right over the side.

Yes wiches they are, the pedestal seems to me the wheel base, this would mean no grinder....

Now that's a dagger board!

Is that a banana board installed into the stb hull??

Sure looks like it to me.

edit: Also two rudders in?

Hmm... a rudder and a spider tensioning structure above the beams... presumably to keep it tensioned and together while they move it.

Awesome!

I think I know the reason for the vertical strut circled here on the right (any guesses?), but wtf is that on the left, it looks like a huge carbon piece??

post-17804-1246901472_thumb.jpg

Is that a banana board installed into the stb hull??

Sure looks like it to me.

I do believe you are right. Explains why the boat is up in the air and why the tent had to come down (using the crane to install the board)

some more, no time to comment....

Open transoms........

edit: What's in the white caboose off the beam......................motor?

WOW - Keep them coming!!!!

See the engine mounted to the rear beam? First look we've had from this angle, it was all hidden before.

I'm guessing that is an engine pod off the center back of the back beam.

Awesome!

I think I know the reason for the vertical strut circled here on the right (any guesses?), but wtf is that on the left, it looks like a huge carbon piece??

post-17804-1246901472_thumb.jpg

Veritcal strut instead of the rig loads while being lifted.

See the engine mounted to the rear beam? First look we've had from this angle, it was all hidden before.

the silver/blue thing is a muffler, blue tint from the heat of being ran.

Start looking for the carbon props out back................

Hmm... a rudder and a spider tensioning structure above the beams... presumably to keep it tensioned and together while they move it.

To keep it tensioned and together before the mast's in...?

h

I'm guessing that is an engine pod off the center back of the back beam.

there's an exhaust coming out, so it would be very logical there is a engine not far away ;)

Is that hydraulic hoses for the steering, or is it going to the winches?

Awesome!

Foil with an S-shape, to increase depth of foil when fully down for max pointing angle. And then more dynamic lift when partially down. Brilliant?

Neat new stuff... Well worth the expense Ernesto, this is some bateau!

Using the long length of the 40ft seafreight workshop containers as a ruler I make the LOA of the Hulls to be 109ft ? 90 ft LWL looks to run out about where te guy is standing in the middle of the hardstand between the hulls.

In case it doesn't already take your breath away, posting these for even better effect. Again: WOW!!!

b5qmaa.jpg

1585zq1.jpg

An insider is telling me the boat ~is~ water-ballasted. It could be for that?

The scale of both of these boats is almost impossible to wrap my head around.

This is the best AC ever, in our lifetime. IMO

h

Pipes too small, IMHO. To move enough water quickly you need big plumbing. Looks more like a conduit for hydraulic lines for steering, as there doesn't appear to be a DZ1-style set of linkages across the back of the beam.

Not to rain on EB's parade...................

But in SD there's a black and white boat hanging from a crane, with wave piercing ama's attached...............

Look like mofuzz specials.

But in SD there's a black and white boat hanging from a crane, with wave piercing ama's attached...............

What, that heavy sack of dated manure?

Another general question for you aerodynamicists out there. We've all been told that at 40 knots aero drag is a big issue. So I understand fairing the leading edge of the crossbeam. But why leave the aft side flat? Surely it would be better to fair that edge as well to avoid trailing turbulence? This applies to the aft beam on DZ1 too, BTW. Or am I spouting BS again?

There is what I will call a placekeeper strut above the "dolphin striker" if that is to oppose below crossbeam rigging forces...

The might just have to rig a mast before they splash it, and do it on the supports.

Way before it was conjectured that the tent would come off to reveal the CZ in place, which it has.

If they do rig the mast prior to splashing, then they might have built a very intricate interdependent beast, that does not make for easy rig exchange.

Say what? Dogzilla out of its cage? :o

That "tensegrity" cable system under the platform looks very close to the waterline. They must be picking a site other than valencia as this looks like a REALLY flat water boat. Alinghi is also on record as saying that the boat can do 15 knots at 2 knots wind speed. Are they hoping to leave DZ in the water with two hulls in low airs while they sail off on one?

Another general question for you aerodynamicists out there. We've all been told that at 40 knots aero drag is a big issue. So I understand fairing the leading edge of the crossbeam. But why leave the aft side flat? Surely it would be better to fair that edge as well to avoid trailing turbulence? This applies to the aft beam on DZ1 too, BTW. Or am I spouting BS again?

Fair question. I'd guess that the leading edge is structural hence built that way, and the trailing edge has the option of a fairing being installed after things get sorted out. Or not.

mm

You shouldn't believe everthing everyone tells you.

Thanks, Marian. A much better source, apparently!

Even with water ballast?

Murray Jones: We haven’t got water ballast.

So, without water ballast how do you achieve enough righting moment?

Murray Jones: [Laughs] That’s why it’s so wide………….. You know though, with boats like this weight is so important. The lighter you can make it the faster you will go, so that has been the emphasis.