Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeanphj

Alinghi launch

New thread open specifically for the launch:

When: Wednesday July 8th - Weather permitting - from 6 am (the local street will be closed from 5 am)

Some weblinks:

Local airport where the Russian Helico is stationed (came all the way from Siberia!!), you can see it now if you are lucky (upper right corner): http://webcams.rcv.ch/webcam_detail.php?webcam_id=1

Local Web cam showing the lake in front of Villeneuve: http://www.cvvi.ch/webcam1/webcamcvvi.html

Swiss radar showing real time precipitation: http://www.landi.ch/fra/0804_niederschlagsradar.asp might help understand why it will go on or not.

When: Wednesday July 8th - Weather permitting - from 6 am (the local street will be closed from 5 am)

Some weblinks:

Local airport where the Russian Helico is stationed (came all the way from Siberia!!), you can see it now if you are lucky (upper right corner): http://webcams.rcv.ch/webcam_detail.php?webcam_id=1

Local Web cam showing the lake in front of Villeneuve: http://www.cvvi.ch/webcam1/webcamcvvi.html

Swiss radar showing real time precipitation: http://www.landi.ch/fra/0804_niederschlagsradar.asp might help understand why it will go on or not.

Yeah I know, I should better f%&k off like the noob that I am, but just wanted to say: Thanks Philippe, that´s awesome almost 007-like live coverage!!! I was so exited almost pissed my pants.

Some weblinks:

Thanks Philippe, for the great job you're doing...

Thanks for that great link.

There start to be some activity around that small RC chopper.

Anyone got a webcam pointing on A5/LBoS? I want to see that thing fly before they sail and crash :P

Went to see the helico, pictures coming later, in the mean time somebody posted one here:

http://www.pictaero.com/fr/pictures/picture,48618

Same craft, same place, arriving on July the 4th:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MYWsjezcicY/SlD1...91_ldg_a_44.jpg

Local paper article confirming tomorrow's launch: http://www.24heures.ch/vaud/actu/alinghi-5...aube-2009-07-07

L’hélicoptère maous est arrivé

HELICOPTERE.jpg«C’est une sacrée grosse bête. Pas belle, mais impressionnante. Et dire que ça vole…» Depuis ce week-end, les curieux défilent sur l’herbe de l’aéroport de la Blécherette. Ils viennent admirer le «monstre», l’hélicoptère russe qui s’apprête à mettre à l’eau le catamaran Alinghi.

Arrivé samedi, l’hélicoptère est déjà une star, posé qu’il est à côté de la route cantonale. Sur place, les badauds se baladent autour du colosse, appareil de photo en mains, malgré les injonctions du personnel de l’aéroport. «C’est un peu embêtant, ça fait attraction du week-end, soupire Bernard Ramuz, directeur de l’aéroport. Mais on n’avait pas le choix, il fallait le mettre à l’écart. Il est gigantesque. Et quand il décolle, il déplace énormément d’air, énormément. Il fallait le mettre à distance des autres avions, pour pas qu’il nous les casse.»

La star est un MI 26, l’hélicoptère le plus lourd et le plus grand jamais construit en série. Il mesure près de 9 mètres de haut, possède un rotor au diamètre impressionnant de 32 mètres. Ce type d’appareil a été utilisé lors de la catastrophe de Tchernobyl, en Ukraine, pour larguer des produits extincteurs sur la centrale nucléaire. Il est souvent utilisé lors d’incendie. Le Mchs Rossii, c’est son nom, compte six membres d’équipage. Il a été construit à Rostov-sur-le-Don, en Russie. Il est arrivé de Moscou, via Varsovie.

Pesant 28 tonnes, il peut soulever jusqu’à 20 tonnes. Voilà qui devrait être suffisant. Selon une source bien informée, Alinghi pèserait 9,3 tonnes.

Julien Magnollay - 24 Heures

Interesting to see the weight mentionned at 9.3 tons??? so we have anything between 3 and 9 tons...???

somebody is preflighting their airplane...

Super coverage, Philippe!

How many hours from now can we expect the flight window to start?

L’hélicoptère maous est arrivé

Google-tran:

--

This is a pretty big beast. Not beautiful, but impressive. And it flies ... "Since this weekend, the curious parade on the grass at the airport of the Blécherette. They come to admire the "monster", the Russian helicopter as it prepares to launch the catamaran Alinghi.

Saturday arrived, the helicopter is already a star, put it beside the road. On site, bystanders stroll around the colossus, camera in hand, despite the orders of airport personnel. "It's a little annoying, it's attraction of the weekend, sighs Ramuz Bernard, director of the airport. But we had no choice, it had to be put away. It is huge. And when it takes off, it moves air lot, lot. It was a distance from other aircraft, for that we will not break. "

The star is a MI 26 helicopter on the heaviest and the largest ever built in series. It measures about 9 meters high, has an impressive rotor diameter of 32 meters. This type of device was used during the disaster at Chernobyl, in Ukraine, releasing products extinguishers on the power plant. It is often used in fire. The MCHS Rossii, it is called, with six crew members. It was built in Rostov-on-Don, Russia. He arrived in Moscow via Warsaw.

Weighing 28 tons, it can lift up to 20 tonnes. This should be sufficient. According to one informed source, Alinghi would weigh 9.3 tons.

--

Local time is 5h45 am, I am awake and on watch... rain has stopped, wind speed on site about 2-3 knots, helico still in Lausanne (no lights on). Use weblinks in first post of that thread to follow.

Local time is 5h45 am, I am awake and on watch... rain has stopped, wind speed on site about 2-3 knots, helico still in Lausanne (no lights on). Use weblinks in first post of that thread to follow.

There are four people gathered at the bow of the chopper, got there just now!

Looks ideal:

144030m.jpg

airport webcam not working??

ok for me but not real time/ still pictures

must just be my shitbox comp.. i'm sure you guys will keep us up to date!!

They are trying to get it started

cam good for me 6.14am at the airfield and all looks quite around the chopper

is that the civilian version of the hind gunship, the much feared heavily armoured russian attack heli of the afganistan war the eventually turned out to be vulnerable to the plethora of cheap rpg's, like just about everything else it must be said

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mi-24V_Soviet1.jpg

One Russian just now hit it with a big f*ing wrench. Another Russian ran over to him and now they are arguing. Arms waving and everything.

One Russian just now hit it with a big f*ing wrench. Another Russian ran over to him and now they are arguing.

for real?????????

One Russian just now hit it with a big f*ing wrench. Another Russian ran over to him and now they are arguing. Arms waving and everything.

Okay, now the other Russian has the wrench. They are both looking at the chopper.

Great drama - has to make EB feel comfortable.

It would be a bummer if they dropped it. That would piss a few people off.

Okay, now the other Russian has the wrench. They are both looking at the chopper.

The other guy hit it, in a different place. Still won't start.

Anyone have any ether ? That usually works on my lawn mower after a long winter.

LOLL BRO THATS THEIR PLAN C

OPPS- WE DROPPED THE DEATH TRAP

Oh shit!

have they tried push starting the rotars??

I think one of the blades just fell off! :blink:

Are they walking across the field to the hangar now?

hahhaha.....

Theez ees how ve fix prubleem in russian spaze agenzy!

Oh shit!

Scratch that, they must have been running.

I measured the distance on Google Map.

Oh shit!

Can anyone else see that smoke?

you don't have to push the rotors, if you can push the heli along the ground, they can engage the gears from the wheels to the rotor shaft...

you don't have to push the rotors, if you can push the heli along the ground, they can engage the gears from the wheels to the rotor shaft...

it'd be wayyy funnier pushing the rotars tho!!

it'd be wayyy funnier pushing the rotars tho!!

LOL TRUE - IN THE WRONG DIRECTION

From Alinghi: Weather dependent. Pilots will make the call throughout the morning /day. Updates at alinghi.com

Maybe that's why they are by that truck, just behind the fence? To use it for a push?

Oh shit!

Can anyone else see that smoke?

Looks like the Russians are trying to get the hood open on that camouflage-green tent truck.

Holy jesus, they put a flagpole out the helio window and are running up the hammer and sickle.

How will Serono shareholders like that?

alinghi-entree-600x850mm-1_gallery.jpg

Exhibit and vist will be open from next Friday... (in the mean time no activities at Lausanne....)

how far is it to Russian airspace from Villenue?

I can just see it..

Heli picks up the boat and disappears over the horizon...

Meanwhile flash to lake cam.... nothing.

just a bunch of guys scratching their heads....

how far is it to Russian airspace from Villenue?

I can just see it..

Heli picks up the boat and disappears over the horizon...

Meanwhile flash to lake cam.... nothing.

just a bunch of guys scratching their heads....

Looks like a drug dealer ready to take off from the airport :lol:

Just for your info, distance from Lausanne to Villeneuve must be about 20 km... now to Russian airspace.....too far...

Sure seems to be a lotta bodies around the chopper...

Just for your info, distance from Lausanne to Villeneuve must be about 20 km... now to Russian airspace.....too far...

Plus, the farther you fly into the mountains the louder the strange engine noises become.

There's at least 4 people out there looking at it now. Plus one who is wearing yellow, probably he's with the airfield's fire department.

Clouds on the horizon as film crew makes final location checks in Villeneuve for launch of Alinghi 5

copied from Alinghi's friends Twitter

Alinghi's copter ready to go.... (not real time pic)

post-36609-1247031273_thumb.jpg

post-36609-1247031283_thumb.jpg

Clouds on the horizon as film crew makes final location checks in Villeneuve for launch of Alinghi 5

copied from Alinghi's friends Twitter

Alinghi's copter ready to go....

Nice. Another good thing to watch for will be seeing the support boats pre-positioned

CVVI cam

AlinghiFriends Twitter

LOLL BRO THATS THEIR PLAN C

OPPS- WE DROPPED THE DEATH TRAP

Great plan if they are building CZ2. Wonder if the bookies at bet365 are taken any bets?

Looks like the chopper is warming up. And it looks like they're getting ready for a test-lift with ...... Holy shit!!.....is that Butterworth in the sling!?!?

Mi-26t Transport Helicopter

The Mi-26t is the world's largest heavy-lift helicopter. It is capable of lifting large size cargo items weighing up to 20 tons, either inside the cargo compartment or on an external sling. A combined internal and external load configuration is also permissible, providing the total load does not exceed 20 tons.

The helicopter can be widely employed at construction sites, airlifting and mounting heavy industrial equipment, drilling rigs, electric power line installations, bridge construction, logging operations and other complex civil engineering operations as well as on fire-fighting duties.

High placement accuracy of external loads is achieved using the special front and rear auxiliary cabins.

A clearance control system is available for handling items of large volume during loading.

The helicopter is provided with engine starting facilities using internal power, special ladders are not required as both engine and gearbox cowling, when in open position, serve as maintenance platforms.

The APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) provides ground power for internal engine starting, electrical and hydraulic systems together with air conditioning of the flight crew compartment.

The flight crew compartement is pressurised and affords excellent visibility, with a well laid out, integrated flight/navigation system that meets with modern requirements.

The Mi-26t can fly day or night in good and bad weather conditions.

Dimensions

Basic specifications :

Take-off weight : normal-

maximum- 49.6 t

56.0 t 109.350 lbs

123.457 lbs

Empty weight : 28.2 t 62.170 lbs

Load-carrying capacity : in cargo compartment -

on an external sling - 20.0 t

20.0 t 44.090 lbs

44.090 lbs

Cargo compartment dimensions: 12.1x3.2x3.1 m 39.7x10.5x10.2 ft

Cruising speed per hour : 255 km 158 miles

Ceiling under ISA conditions : hovering OGE (minimum) -

service (minimum) - 1.800 m

4.600 m 5.900 ft

15.100 ft

Range : with maximum fuel load (without extra tanks)

with maximum full load (with four extra tanks) 800 km

1.920 km 497 miles

1.190 miles

Diameter of Main Rotor : 32.0 m 105 ft

Number of blades : 8

Crew : 5

Mi-26t Transport Helicopter

The Mi-26t is the world's largest heavy-lift helicopter.

Diameter of Main Rotor : 32.0 m 105 ft

Number of blades : 8

Crew : 5

Were there any guesses how long the sling will be? I'll go.... 700ft?

Ok guys, I am still at base, some 20 mins away from V, If I leave I cant follow the webcam, there is a spell of rain 3 miles south of V moving out I guess... so weather iffy, copter not started, should I stay put or go to V....

Alinghi's copter took off? it looks like....

Ok guys, I am still at base, some 20 mins away from V, If I leave I cant follow the webcam, there is a spell of rain 3 miles south of V moving out I guess... so weather iffy, copter not started, should I stay put or go to V....

Tough call. I would stay, considering there's no change yet at the airfield, or in the twitter reports.

I've been looking forward to this but need to catch a few hours sleep starting soon, 23:15 here and a 4:30 alarm, so.. Dang. :blink:

Hope you all enjoy the ride if you get to see it without me, it's going to be really great!

I've been looking forward to this but need to catch a few hours sleep starting soon, 21:15 here and a 4:30 alarm, so.. Dang. :blink:

I did tell you (above) there was no need for anyone to get up early.

Alinghi's copter took off? it looks like....

Bingo - Sure did!

I prefer to be up and miss it, then to be asleep and miss it.... and I am sure your photographer is not in bed....

I prefer to be up and miss it, then to be asleep and miss it.... and I am sure your photographer is not in bed....

He was until normal wake up time.

I've been looking forward to this but need to catch a few hours sleep starting soon, 21:15 here and a 4:30 alarm, so.. Dang. :blink:

I did tell you (above) there was no need for anyone to get up early.

I know but the alarm is for something work-related, 5 hrs from now, possibly a long day afterwards depending on how that event works out.

Alinghi's film crew taking off moments ago could be a good sign, I'll hang around to see. The flight to V,. the hookup, and then to the water shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes to pull off.

Mine works too, now I prefer to leave and go on site, will report when back, probably in a few hours

just lost web cam, anybody else?

mine's still good. also from the west coast

BRO WHICH CAM YOU WATCHING YOU SAID IT FLEW OFF-?

I STILL SEE IT ON DECK[GRASS] WITH FOLKS UP FWD-

TRICKER ?

TRICKER ?

No a small Alinghi copter took off, it was next to the other small one.

Everyone just cleared the area, I think it's a go! edit: shoot, maybe not.. they are back close again

TRICKER ?

No a small Alinghi copter took off, it was next to the other small one.

Everyone just cleared the area, I think it's a go! edit: shoot, maybe not.. they are back close again

been watching that too. Could be they're preflighting the lifting sling/harness.

Looks like they are trying to pull it out of the mud

Too many people walking in front and behind the chopper. No takeoff imminent.

78% humidity. Only 14 degrees ! But not much wind.

Perhaps more wind than they are comfortable lifting in, chart shows gusts this morning were up at 10 knots:

http://www.windspots.com/ch/zone1/index.ht...amp;spot=chvd08

Exactly, this morning's launch was called off yesterday afternoon. I posted to that effect.

Too many people walking in front and behind the chopper. No takeoff imminent.

78% humidity. Only 14 degrees ! But not much wind.

Perhaps more wind than they are comfortable lifting in, chart shows gusts this morning were up at 10 knots:

http://www.windspots.com/ch/zone1/index.ht...amp;spot=chvd08

Exactly, this morning's launch was called off yesterday afternoon. I posted to that effect.

Seen this now in 'Blick.ch':

Alinghi start vorerst verschoben

LE BOUVERET - Segel-Fans müssen sich noch etwas gedulden. Wegen schlechter Wetterbedingungen verschiebt sich die Wasserung des Alinghi-Katamarans auf 18 Uhr.

Damn, I'd looked forward to seeing it but will be off the net then!

Anybody know if there was any truth to the newspaper item yesterday about the mast then being delivered to the harbor at Bouveret?

LE BOUVERET - Segel-Fans müssen sich noch etwas gedulden. Wegen schlechter Wetterbedingungen verschiebt sich die Wasserung des Alinghi-Katamarans auf 18 Uhr.

Damn, I'd looked forward to seeing it but will be off the net then!

Anybody know if there was any truth to the newspaper item yesterday about the mast then being delivered to the harbor at Bouveret?

Google translation for those not multilingual is

"Sailing fans have to wait a bit. Due to poor weather conditions, shifts the splashdown of the Alinghi catamaran to 18 clock"

Alinghi Start postponed:

Sailing fans will have to show some patience. On account of bad weather conditions the launch of Alinghi is postponed until 1800 hours.