• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nozomi

Swiss Sportboat scene

How about the boat that's sportin' the chick on the sail.. now that's sponorship! Wonder what they'd say if it showed up in the states ;-) Ed - you need to get those guys to the sportboat world champhiship of the world!

Went to a hot air balloon event in Europe a few years ago... this was my favorite

How about a set of rags sportin' some sort of S.A. thong.. I like it!

post-31705-1246992675_thumb.jpg

Cool shots...love the sails on SUI010...l think the guys on SUI012 gotta little ripped off thou.... :blink:

And we wonder why there is a lack of participation in sailing in this country. We need more boats like that.

And we wonder why there is a lack of participation in sailing in this country. We need more boats like that.

quite a few of the shots are I think of a Longztse (thompson 650/680 derivative) - some great range of boats there including a few wired boats, some racks....great to see.

Think I saw these guys heading out last Sudnay. I was in Switzerland and coming donw from Stoos. Do you know which lake they were on? Reason for interested is I will be relocating to Switzerland in a few years and was stoked to see all the SBs out

Think I saw these guys heading out last Sudnay. I was in Switzerland and coming donw from Stoos. Do you know which lake they were on? Reason for interested is I will be relocating to Switzerland in a few years and was stoked to see all the SBs out

the first gallery is from the urnersee, a part of lake lucerne. one of the best places to sail in central europe ;-)

fotos from the 2006 regatta: Uristier 2006

the second gallery is from the lake zurich, not very famous for sailing ...

swissT780

the second gallery is from the lake zurich, not very famous for sailing ...

oh that hurts, the lake of zurich isn't so bad, we had lot of good windy days this year....

Great photos of some great looking boats. :)

Sportboat sailing is obviously popular in Switzerland.

There seems to be trapeze on a lot of different boats. Do the local rules allow that?

Great photos of some great looking boats. :)

Sportboat sailing is obviously popular in Switzerland.

There seems to be trapeze on a lot of different boats. Do the local rules allow that?

a lot of the OD (Joker, Streamline, ASSO 99) and development classes (all kinds of Liberas) have been using traps for quite a bit of time.

Those boats were designed with traps so most of the wires were not retrofitted. Would exclude a lot of boats if traps weren't allowed and rated.

I think the only boat on lac leman that isnt a sport boat, is a Surprise.

it is a U20, check the sticker, a Surprise looks more like this:

DSC_2037.jpg

DSC_1605.jpg

but I'm with you, a Surprise is not a sportboat, it's too old, too heavy, too less sailarea, no asym, etc... but still a good boat (sailed a lot on Surprise)

swissT780

There is something new in a swiss shed...that will mix in the swiss fleet

post-10179-1249306439_thumb.jpg

the chines are a givaway truc

it's one of yours and plywood !!?

Yes Gybe,

my design and swiss manufacture.

plywood, wings and everything... 6,9 meters long.

so the leeward rack swings up when the load is on the windward one? Smart! Was it done before or is it a new concept?

Cazza

voilà

It's new for me, still have to work it out properly but we have time, as you see in the pic he's still building the hull.

This hull shape can heel upwind and still go fast, so there is the need to have some clearance on the leeward rack

Hi,

sorry that the leeward rack is up is not new. it was a must in the rules of the class libera since 20 years i think.

best from germany,

markus

Looks like a little bigger version of Velivolo.

Nice.

Christian.

Yes it is 1m longer but same beam, so the shape is much cleaner.

It has a bigger bulb too (200 kg) and wider wings ( we'll go really wide, something around 4 m )

Hi,

sorry that the leeward rack is up is not new. it was a must in the rules of the class libera since 20 years i think.

best from germany,

markus

You dont have to be sorry markus. So it was a good solution 20 years ago and it is a good solution for us now.

cheers

Paolo

I've been lurking over these boats for years. The next work trip to that side of the planet and I'm there.

I have always been torn between the Onyx and Esse. Slim sexy beast vs power to burn. Don't really need to compare since they both have great one design classes, but hey.

The jib twist trim for the Onyx gives me pause. Is it just that set of holes in the clew, or have people set up the jib halyard/cunningham to do the job under load?

length 6,9 m

beam 2,2 m / wings 3,5 m

weight 500 kg

ballast 200 kg

draft 2 m

I like the Blu 30 which is from Switzerland, I think. Simple design with self tacking jib. Just add a bow prod. I think only one was built. Anyone know where it is or sailed against it ?

post-183-092037400 1287032249_thumb.jpg

Here some new pictures from the swiss sportboat scene

http://picasaweb.google.com/MartinTschupp/...ct7Bachaucup02#

not a lot of wind we had for this race.

14 Onxy, 12 Esses and 5 Dynamic started for five up down races.

Wow awesome boats! I'm going to have to look up some of these designs. This one is looking like it's on the brink...

post-22116-078368300 1294110631_thumb.jpg

Looking good Truc, do you have a website with more pics?

Cheers

Mojo

Sorry Mojo no site, these are the pics the builder is giving me step by step during the building

new pics

Nice Design TRuc

any idea on costs????

really like the lines

Thank OTB

This is the first one, so we'll have a detailed building budget when it hit the water. It is something between 10000 and 15000 euros (it is in switzerland).

By now consider 1000 for the plans, about the same for the plywood, 200 for the lead, about 40 kg epoxy, light glass + some carbon for the fin.

So the hull is quite cheap, the not so cheap item is the rig, it has a big impact on the budget.

It is up to your wallet as there are many options: alu vs carbon mast, new vs second hand, exotic sail material vs dacron, you can do it cheap or spend a lot of money.

Progress from Switzerland, it's coming together slowly but nicely

post-10179-008084500 1305111496_thumb.jpgpost-10179-012517900 1305111840_thumb.jpgpost-10179-072632000 1305111755_thumb.jpg

every home built in switzerland seems to take its time (this one, T780,...)

but the result is usually a piece of art!

every home built in switzerland seems to take its time (this one, T780,...)

but the result is usually a piece of art!

Yes I'm sure he's building with lot of care and love, so the result will be nice.

Quant 30, T780 canting, Esse 850, Esse 750, Longtze, Shaw 650, Onyx, Melges 24, Platu 25, J70, Saphire 27, blu 26

showdown last weekend - 3 short races Up/Down, 10-25knots Wind, lot of action on the water

Results: Racer 1 and Racer 2

Pictures by Martin Tschupp

_T_07099.JPG

_T_07493.JPG

_T_07362.JPG