Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smidgley

Alfa for Hobart '09 - plus five more 100 footers?

In the lead story on the TransPac website published a couple of hours ago:

"Crichton, looking forward to the Sydney Hobart Race said, "There will be six 100-footers in the race. Five are certainly are capable of winning the race." "

Is this confirmation that Alfa is in for '09? (The grudge re-match with Wild Oats XI we've all been waiting for!)

AND - "six 100-footers" ???

If true, this is going to be one to remember. :D

Is it a dig at Wild Oats?

Surely he would only have nice things to say about Wild Oats? :lol:

WOW that would be awsome, some more competition at the boring end - which one wouldn't be capable?

It's probably a dig at Scandia/WT.

If history is a guide, all but one 100 footer (WO) wouldn't be capable!

WOW that would be awsome, some more competition at the boring end - which one wouldn't be capable?

WOXI

Alfa

Leopard

Maximus

Lahara (Zana)

Scandia

I'd heard maybe Speedboat too at one point

Meanwhile, 80% of the fleet, spending considerably more time on the racetrack, will be ignored by the media.

So what's new? We just have to get used to it sadly.

WOXI

Alfa

Leopard

Maximus

Lahara (Zana)

Scandia

I'd heard maybe Speedboat too at one point

if all these boats turn up and speedboat doesn't it's owner should be relieved of her and ahe should b donated 2 SA and tour the world so all of us can sail her

i heard speedboat is coming down for it.

Meanwhile, 80% of the fleet, spending considerably more time on the racetrack, will be ignored by the media.

We've got 6 months to go on a field trip to channel 7 etc - do we know anyone?

Maybe we need an annual Sailing Anarchy Sydney-Hobart Race 'Media Slut' Award.

Neville has obviously run out to an early lead, but the other contenders will catch up.

We all know who the usual suspects are.

Maximus? Really? I thought that she had been scrapped for parts after all the technical problems and disapointing results that they had. Nice to hear that the boat is making a comeback. And hopefully a succesful one at that.

Careful, or Mundle will put his hand up.

Put his hand up who?

Anyone who can get him his old gig back.

I think you'll find old Bob O has his hand firmly up Mundle.

Can you say puppet?

Maximus? Really? I thought that she had been scrapped for parts after all the technical problems and disapointing results that they had. Nice to hear that the boat is making a comeback. And hopefully a succesful one at that.

Fuck off newb!!!

The boat that neville was referring to is zana, I was talking to him about it and he just doesn't think it is capable of competing with the newer boats, which is completely correct

The boat that neville was referring to is zana, I was talking to him about it and he just doesn't think it is capable of competing with the newer boats, which is completely correct

for line honours, he would be correct. The guys that now have zana are more concerned with correcting out on handicap, and that is crystal ball stuff..................

for line honours, he would be correct. The guys that now have zana are more concerned with correcting out on handicap, and that is crystal ball stuff..................

right, do you know who they have as crew now?

Yes Zana isn't a Canter whereas the others are. Thats a huge advantage as we know from previous results. Have Skandia confirmed? Wharro has had a hard year with court cases etc, having said that I couldn't imagine Wharro ever not doing a Hobart. We know Wharro won't die wondering. Alpha has improved recently, we know WO was designed to be faster than Alfa however after last years scare with Skandia I think Alfa is equal favourite. Virgin Money/Speedboat is still an unkown to a point, she would be strong reaching and running in a breeze but any light stuff and the RP's will be gone.

Will be interesting to see, what changes Maximus have made, manual winches and keel fin were disadvantages for them. Have they retained their mast design.?

If speedboat competes, it will have a very good chance of winning line honours. It is built to be beefier and more heavy duty than alfa

Maximus still doesn't have a keel, its been wrapped up and stored. Wouldn't have thought she was going to be doing the hobart

Maximus still doesn't have a keel, its been wrapped up and stored. Wouldn't have thought she was going to be doing the hobart

Story I heard is she's being chartered for the Hobart, not sure how far the truth goes on this one but thats the story I heard through the winches.

If speedboat competes, it will have a very good chance of winning line honours. It is built to be beefier and more heavy duty than alfa

WOXI might have something to say about that.

Especially against an unproven boat.

of course, but speedboat still has better hardware and lines for reaching conditions and downwind conditions

of course, but speedboat still has better hardware and lines for reaching conditions and downwind conditions

Apparently not considering they were breaking shit and had to go to Bermuda on the Transatlantic attempt and barely beat Rambler and Puma in Newport-Bermuda in light air.

Lets try facts for once, shall we?

Apparently not considering they were breaking shit and had to go to Bermuda on the Transatlantic attempt and barely beat Rambler and Puma in Newport-Bermuda in light air.

most boats break shit at some point or another. I also never said anything about light air, the boat isn't suited for light stuff at all, but in heavier weather it should do well

most boats break shit at some point or another. I also never said anything about light air, the boat isn't suited for light stuff at all, but in heavier weather it should do well

I'd advise you to never take up betting.

WOXI getting modified currently.

so cal if we get lots of reaching and running i'd agree with you. of course the s2h is pretty often up wind or tight reaching for for a large percentage. for some comparison between boats built for reaching / downwind it may be helpful to look at how boats like open 60's have gone compared to more general purpose boats.

oats and alfa aint exactly slow in those conditions either -----it should be a great battle ------finally!

so cal if we get lots of reaching and running i'd agree with you. of course the s2h is pretty often up wind or tight reaching for for a large percentage. for some comparison between boats built for reaching / downwind it may be helpful to look at how boats like open 60's have gone compared to more general purpose boats.

oats and alfa aint exactly slow in those conditions either -----it should be a great battle ------finally!

right, we will just have to see.

Again? :blink:

I'd put money on there only being 4 on the line come boxing day.

I'll take your money thanks.....................how much did you says again ??

From Rob Mundle article . . .

One of the five other supermaxis that Wild Oats XI will line up against in the Hobart race, Peter Millard’s Lahana (formerly the kiwi supermaxi Zana), will also use Audi Hamilton Island Race Week as part of its preparation program. The four other big boats going for line honours in December are Leopard (Mike Slade) out of the UK, kiwi Neville Crichton’s Alfa Romeo, Wild Thing (Grant Wharington, Vic), and Maximus, which has been chartered from its kiwi owner by Sydney yachtsman Sean Langman.

and you're confident that everything Rob Mundle predicts always come to fruition because...?

so cal i'm not sure we'll get the chance to see - afaik speedboat isn't coming! ;-(

Sail World was claiming that Sean Langman has chartered Maximus for the Hobart.

The manager of Langman's marina at Port Huon (TAS) told me last week that Maluka would be staying put as Sean was sailing a big boat this year. He didn't say which one though.

and you're confident that everything Rob Mundle predicts always come to fruition because...?

Because Mundle and "journalistic integrity" are one and the same thing?

Or not.... :P

==========================

What kind of mods?

doug that will be one of the better kept secrets in Aussie yachting - they were pretty secretive about last years mods right up until the hobart.

What kind of mods?

I heard something about foils, and a midship wand............................

doug that will be one of the better kept secrets in Aussie yachting - they were pretty secretive about last years mods right up until the hobart.

===================

Damn-somehow I missed that-what did they do last year?

===================

Damn-somehow I missed that-what did they do last year?

they won :blink:

What kind of mods?

cant say am sworn to secrecy.

So after reading this thread and others it seems likely a no show by Speedboat, she sits sadly on the hard somewhere, waiting to be donated, or in reality buck passed. What a sad turn of advents for a boat that promised so much but never delivered. Zana , a non-canter with a new owner, Maximus still without a keel but reports of Langman waiting to pounce, and then off course Skandia , reliable but now old in the teeth. On the other hand we have Oats being modded presumably to keep up with the Alpha, or to stay ahead depending on who you believe?

So in summary it's Oats vs Alpha all over again! Bring it on...!

So after reading this thread and others it seems likely a no show by Speedboat, she sits sadly on the hard somewhere, waiting to be donated, or in reality buck passed. What a sad turn of advents for a boat that promised so much but never delivered. Zana , a non-canter with a new owner, Maximus still without a keel but reports of Langman waiting to pounce, and then off course Skandia , reliable but now old in the teeth. On the other hand we have Oats being modded presumably to keep up with the Alpha, or to stay ahead depending on who you believe?

So in summary it's Oats vs Alpha all over again! Bring it on...!

Don't forget about Leopard. According to their website the boat is scheduled to do the race. They would definetly be a strong contender for line honors as well.

All I can say is that I hope this years Hobart will be a 40 knot Southerly for a couple of days, this will break up most of these 100 footers and leave the other boats a chance of victory.

A gale force sotherly must be due as the it has been a while since these 100 footers have experienced a real Hobart race!

Maximus had great potential, and probably still does if someone wants to throw the money at her, but you need to be prepared to throw lots! New Keel required, but by god she was a rocketship in her first season, out performing all her VPP polars. She suffered from bad luck, but really likes strong breeze, light and shite is never good for these boats. I really hope that langman does take her and spend the money, but have heard that story before and it never happened. Wharro - he'll be there or thereabouts, unlikely to win, but a shoe in for top 3. Who will be the sponsor, is another question, and who will be owed money at the other end is yet another. WOXI will likely win, they are the best funded and organised campaign. Alfa will give them a close run, but oats was always faster. Leopord third, Skankia fourth, Zana 5th. Maximus will probably not be there, but if somehow she makes the start line, and has no disasters on the way to Hobart (unlikely as she is unlucky) I would put her in to fight Leopord for third.

Maximus had great potential, and probably still does if someone wants to throw the money at her, but you need to be prepared to throw lots! New Keel required, but by god she was a rocketship in her first season, out performing all her VPP polars. She suffered from bad luck, but really likes strong breeze, light and shite is never good for these boats. I really hope that langman does take her and spend the money, but have heard that story before and it never happened. Wharro - he'll be there or thereabouts, unlikely to win, but a shoe in for top 3. Who will be the sponsor, is another question, and who will be owed money at the other end is yet another. WOXI will likely win, they are the best funded and organised campaign. Alfa will give them a close run, but oats was always faster. Leopord third, Skankia fourth, Zana 5th. Maximus will probably not be there, but if somehow she makes the start line, and has no disasters on the way to Hobart (unlikely as she is unlucky) I would put her in to fight Leopord for third.

Alpha will win with WOXI a close second. Last time these boats raced in Europe, Alpha was the winner.

Alpha will win with WOXI a close second. Last time these boats raced in Europe, Alpha was the winner.

Yes I think Alpha is a match for Oats, remember when Oats beat her in the Hobart they both parked up but Oats made the right call. It wasn't a boat speed issue, they both have their strengths over each other, very little in it and Alpha is very well campaigned to go head to head with Oats. To me these 2 going at it is as good as the AC in it's heyday.

So tell us why Alfa (ITS FUCKING ALFA YOU CUNT) hasn't shown up the past 4 years at S-H?

Pretty strong way of stating it...but hes right...

Can we stop calling it ALPHA.... ;)

I pick a close race.....Still think AR might take the win

So tell us why Alfa (ITS FUCKING ALFA YOU CUNT) hasn't shown up the past 4 years at S-H?

surely it must be wild oats turn to do a mast or something... maybe they should put a size limit on the race to take all the focus off the big boats and back to the rest of the fleet...

yeah spell it right for phucks sake!

:lol::lol:

Alpha: Alpha.png

Alfa: img_1053_r1_small.JPG

surely it must be wild oats turn to do a mast or something... maybe they should put a size limit on the race to take all the focus off the big boats and back to the rest of the fleet...

;) there is, it is now max. 100ft, up from 98ft, hence the dose of viagra that oats is having.

;) there is, it is now max. 100ft, up from 98ft, hence the dose of viagra that oats is having.

Ahhh well shows how much attention i pay lol... maybe it should be smaller then that tho?

Heard a rumour this morning that Alfa (not Alpha) has been sold but still heading back to do the Hobart under a new name ????????

Heard a rumour this morning that Alfa (not Alpha) has been sold but still heading back to do the Hobart under a new name ????????

has the ex VO70 been moved on yet?

has the ex VO70 been moved on yet?

The comment I heard was that it is a non yachtie who "just wanted to buy a boat", hope he has enough money to pay the crew and running costs :lol:

All sounds a bit far fetched for me though

Don't forget about Leopard. According to their website the boat is scheduled to do the race. They would definetly be a strong contender for line honors as well.

Leopard is a lot heavier than even Maximus

I don't think she will be as quick as Wild Oats and Alfa, and definatly not Speedboat should they enter.

Leopard is a bit of a shitta compared with the other 100 foot maxis

I don't think she will be as quick as Wild Oats and Alfa, and definatly not Speedboat should they enter.

Leopard was built with leans towards a cruiser as upposed to a full racer however she is beamy and powerful in certain conditions, no doubting Alfa and Oats are the thourougbreds, Maximus is also a powerful reaching boat, I think Skandia matched her in certain conditions but put the wind at 90 degrees and she was gone literally. Alfa and Oats is the race, it would be nice to see 4-5 maxis going head to head but money is tight so I don't think it will happen.

Why don't the CYCA just let in boats under 150 feet and we could have a bigger fleet at the top end, quite sure Mari Cha 4 might give Oats and Alfa a run for their money.

so you don't rate wild oats as an equal savoir? cos they raced each other in europe a few times.

Alfa has not raced an equal since it left Australia.

So your saying Alfa IS better than Oats? I seem to remember them head to head in Sardinia before Oats lost its rig. AR was winning the war at the time.

Heard same rumour regarding AR being sold. A flour miller from western NSW. Will race with different name. Flour Power??? :lol:

Heard same rumour regarding AR being sold. A flour miller from western NSW. Will race with different name. Flour Power??? :lol:

They should have plenty of dough then.

so you don't rate wild oats as an equal savoir? cos they raced each other in europe a few times.

Yeah. Guess I didn't word that right.

Oh well, the last time Alfa raced an equal was against Wild Oats. Fixed !

Despite the bragging on its website, there is no glory in Alfa beating Wallys.

yeah spell it right for phucks sake!

:lol::lol:

It never ceases to amaze me that, despite being written 50 fucking feet long up the mainsail, dumbarses still manage to spell it wrong.

I think they need to start on open multihull division and get some of these monsters in the race.

Clicky

Video is incredible.

Averaging 35+knots for greater than 24 hours.

Boats would be in Hobart in 18-19 hrs at that speed.

Puts the arguments over "motor" boats into some perspective.

Leopard finished only 27 minutes behind Oates in 2007. That's pretty damn close for a Hobart race. I still like their chances for line honors.

I think they need to start on open multihull division and get some of these monsters in the race.

Clicky

Video is incredible.

Yawn.

Leopard finished only 27 minutes behind Oates in 2007. That's pretty damn close for a Hobart race. I still like their chances for line honors.

27 minutes is a long way!

Apollo and Condor were seperated by 7 seconds.

Clicky

Video is incredible.

Yawn.

Yawn maybe but what a sight that would be.Highly unlikely to ever happen,but a race at the same time,perhaps starting a few hours later would be very very cool.

Only if every thing else breaks

Clicky

Video is incredible.

Yawn.

Yawn maybe but what a sight that would be.Highly unlikely to ever happen,but a race at the same time,perhaps starting a few hours later would be very very cool.

Maybe maybe not. Those Tris are Reaching Machines. Hard on the nose and big seas and they really back off a lot

Clicky

Video is incredible.

Yawn.

Maybe maybe not. Those Tris are Reaching Machines. Hard on the nose and big seas and they really back off a lot

Unfortunately we can argue all we want here in fantasy land but we will never really know until the open multi division of the StoH is anounced.

In NZ TaePing, a 43(odd)ft cat (Ex QLD/NT), is regularly winning line honours (by a considerable margin) in coastal races it is allowed to enter, against good mono opposition. It is decidely "Old Tech" too.

Don't you think it would be good to see a couple of these "G" class multis blast down the harbour on boxing day and turn south?

Least we would have an opportunity for a definative answer to the mono/multi debate and the effects of heavy weather, rather the speculative shite that usually gets thrown around.

Would the big mono owners enter if there was a very high probability of them not getting line honours?

Clicky

Video is incredible.

Yawn.

Unfortunately we can argue all we want here in fantasy land but we will never really know until the open multi division of the StoH is anounced.

In NZ TaePing, a 43(odd)ft cat (Ex QLD/NT), is regularly winning line honours (by a considerable margin) in coastal races it is allowed to enter, against good mono opposition. It is decidely "Old Tech" too.

Don't you think it would be good to see a couple of these "G" class multis blast down the harbour on boxing day and turn south?

Least we would have an opportunity for a definative answer to the mono/multi debate and the effects of heavy weather, rather the speculative shite that usually gets thrown around.

Would the big mono owners enter if there was a very high probability of them not getting line honours?

Who's going to go and pick up all the broken pieces off multi hull in Bass Strait if they do so ?

Clicky

Video is incredible.

Yawn.

Who's going to go and pick up all the broken pieces off multi hull in Bass Strait if they do so ?

The same people that pick up your ass and every other monos in the Hobart every time it blows more than 20+ on the nose. If they can conform to cat 1 like any mono then why not. I truly feel alot of multi bashers are frightened of how much they'll get flogged by the little multis. I sail on large monos at the moment at the CYC and am getting sick of hearing it.

Go the mutis

Pil

Super six set to sail - The Mercury 7th Aug.

Possibly old info, but...

...While entry for the race has yet to open, it is also rumoured a seventh supermaxi is considering making the trip Down Under from Europe for the Australian classic.

Sydney skipper Sean Langman confirmed he is chartering Maximus for the Boxing Day race and will lengthen the yacht from 98-foot (29.8m) to bring it into line with new rules allowing racers to be 100-foot long (30.5m).

"This many boats this size have never been together in the one place before so it's going to be pretty special," said Langman, currently sourcing material for a new keel....

Lets think.... Med sunny flat water...... nev has his sensational 140 power boat med based... or lets see Hobart.... have you done one!!!

The pose factor is wayyyyyyyy higher in the Med. Beat a few Wallys and you can call yourself king of the kids.

i don't wanna be rude but i reckon racing wally's in the med would bemore competitive than the usual one or 2 (line honours) horse race that happens every boxing day.

Get back on the topic boys, 6 x 100 Feet Boats for Hobart will be awesome. Great to see Langman and his gang revive Maximus for the Hobart. Lets hope the weather is kind to the supermaxis otherwise breakages will see them fall by the wayside, the weather has been good to them in recent years.

Early Tips: Alfa & Oats for top 2.

Maximus vs Leopard for a podium?

Skandia

Zana

Having said that we all know anything can happen? Comeon Speedboat, this is one showdown that needs to happen...