Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onedesignracing

Chi-Mac Weather Predictions???

Just did the Halifax Race where we averaged 5 kts over 367 miles... on an 81 fter so this would have been adding insult to injury. Zoom (Sec 3, 395) went hard left and it will be interesting to see if it pays... this is my first time actually using a race tracker during a race and it's rather addictive.

Wellenriter, the Farr 395 hoisted the german color kite at the start and got pushed left and it looks that he done much better then the 395s with code 0.

I was wondering who that was when I was watching them from Recreation Dr. DC, saw you headed home from the breakwall. About 30 minutes after I left the lake and got home Windquest came along the shore closer than anyone else. Nice to look out the window and see a piece of hardware like that cruising by...

Quent and Thom (DH, Elusive) rolled the dice early and went for the western Michigan shore and so far it has not paid. This could change and in the next 12 hours though...

Flash Gordon is buying realestate on the west coast.Could proove to be a good investment but way too many extra miles.If something N westerly is coming in they can be golden.Still enough race course to pay for them.

Let's watch this one for a while.

Yeah I think that Flash Gordon and Zooms decision to head to the west coast wasnt a horrible decision but I dont think they will be able to make their way to the very front unless the wind continues to blow as much as it is now. Wellenreiter has got it in the bag.

Fun watching how Flash Gordon is doing. Zoom headed across but it looks like it still might pay off on the West and North course. Who woulda thunk it. I doubt most boats will finish.

Whenever I go on the Chi Mac it blows and most the fleet is in by Monday. Usually when I don't go you're effed, I'm not going this year :P

Cheers.

Rarely am I glad I'm at the office rather than on the water :P

Been interesting to see just how tight the GL 70 feelt sails. They've been within spitting distance of each other the whole race and only now are they starting to separate.

Zoom is just killing it. Nice roll of the dice.

Wasn't a roll of the dice at all. Did you see the wind forecasts? Called "tactics".

Today's Forecast: The BUBBLE.

Current weather on MAC island is lovely. Warm, sunny, spectacular sunrise through the real time island cams and absolutely glassy. It has been "calm" since early last night. Various cams from around the lake provide a similar view and similar conditions. If you like to water ski, today would be an epic day to go for a few runs. Especially in the middle of the lake.

For those of you clawing your way up the hill I can provide little relief to you in the way of wind to get you to the party on time. Many of the racers are 100+ miles from the finish and making about 6 knots. If they can carry that for the next 14 hours then they should get to the island about 10 AM tomorrow as the shut down tonight could be complete again. A 30.2 massive high is comfortably resting directly over head and it shows little sign of going anywhere until sometime late Wednesday. The rule for the day:

Calibrate your depth finder, double check your charts, pull the daggerboards up if you have the ability to do so and stay near the shore as best possible because that thermal is about all the wind you are going to see for the rest of this race. The good news? That makes it a reach pretty much all the way to the barn. Waterline will be king and there is little in the way of strategy here other than keep your crew hydrated and happy and focus on boat speed. When it shuts down this evening I have little hope that there will be much in the way of breeze if you haven't pulled up at the dock by the time the orange ball in the west sets tonight.

Wasn't a roll of the dice at all. Did you see the wind forecasts? Called "tactics".

Oh, yeah, that's right, and the wind ALWAYS fills in as predicted... duh! How silly of me. Taking the west coast with flash while almost everyone else in the fleet goes rhumbline involves risk and they did the math and figured the best bet was doing what they've done. That's what distance racing is all about and I give them credit for doing it. It's still a roll of the dice.

Oh, yeah, that's right, and the wind ALWAYS fills in as predicted... duh! How silly of me. Taking the west coast with flash while almost everyone else in the fleet goes rhumbline involves risk and they did the math and figured the best bet was doing what they've done. That's what distance racing is all about and I give them credit for doing it. It's still a roll of the dice.

The wind machine "should" start to come on here in the next 90 minutes. Surface temps on land are heating up nicely compared to the low 60s high 50s of the lake. Onshore flow will only be modest but certainly will be better than what they have had the last 12 hours!

Check out the track for "Challenge" in Group 7. Pretty gutsy move to head out into the lake all by thenselves.

It seems to be paying off "big time" now for them as they're the first in class to the 100 mile to go circle!

Pretty damn good for a 40+ year old S&S IOR design - that is admittedly sailed by a very talented group of one-design racers!

I see nothing in the SI or NOR that have a time limit. You must finish yourself on wednesday if there is no RC to answer your call.

I wonder how late the last boat finishes?

Saturn retired? Looks like they're in Petoskey.

I am revising my forecast to coldest overnight, partially boring with scattered frustration.

10er- I'll see you on the darkside of the moon.

I would like to congratulate myself on a spot on forecast.

Kudos to the boats that had the guts to sail backwards to the west to get to the forecasted pressure. that decision is called strategy not tactics by the way. Tactics is a decision you make because of what other boats do. Strategy is your plan absent other boats.

I am prepared to wait at least another 5 years for a race that slow.

Where & when did anyone see a forcasted wind off the Wisco shore?

just curious. When I left the house on Sat morn, my shitty info was fo no wind on that shore.

just curious. When I left the house on Sat morn, my shitty info was fo no wind on that shore.

Nostradamus - 1565

Sailflow did

Sailflow did

As did predictwind. Confidence level in those predictions were not high though............

IIRC the pressure showed up in a very localized spot on the NW edge of the Wisc side about 36 hrs into the race. It did not show consistent pressure on that side before that.

I am usually very "grain of saltish" towards some of these supposed road maps to success, but the ones we went by were pretty spot on...for the most part.

I am usually very "grain of saltish" towards some of these supposed road maps to success, but the ones we went by were pretty spot on...for the most part.

Rch, where did you guys gybe to cross the lake?

Rch, where did you guys gybe to cross the lake?

Can't remember...it was dark...

Team Asylum like to be elusive when talking about their race. Ask them some helpful hints & you will be met with a brick wall.

Ask them where they went & you will be ignored.

Ask them what car positions they used to gain an advantage over newbies in the class & they will change those car positions & look the other way.

Whatever,

Congrats on your win,

James

Team Asylum like to be elusive when talking about their race. Ask them some helpful hints & you will be met with a brick wall.

Ask them what car positions they used to gain an advantage over newbies in the class & they will change those car positions & look the other way.

Whatever,

Congrats on your win,

James

Jim,

Call me on my cell and I will talk about the race. Need it again, PM me.

Whatever,

Congrats on your win,

James

Jim,

I won't waste my time,

I don't need to be stonewalled again.

We all know you guys are trying to be too cool, but the race is over.

"It was dark" Yeah, that's hilarious.

Try to be gracious & humble in your victory.

Anything else is losing the respect of your competition.

When we approached you guys in the empty harbor 2 hrs. after the finish, we got the same stupid answers. " We don't remember"

Again, hilarious.

Take care & congrats on your stealth win.

Whatever,

Congrats on your win,

James

Jim,

Wow. What a bitch you are Rich.

Asylum; the stealth J/105 that is too good to post anything about their "amazing" win on SA. That's precious.

Will remember that.

We all know that The Asylum is a well sailed boat, andy everyone is looking to learn and add to the knowledge base for future Macs. No two will ever be alike. A finish of 7 hours ahead of the next well sailed J105 boat is amazing and I think deserves some insight into where Asylum went... outside the Manitous?, Beaver?, How long on Wisconsin? It must have been a near perfect course for the conditions. Of course next year will be different....

Congrats to Jon and crew.

We all know that The Asylum is a well sailed boat, andy everyone is looking to learn and add to the knowledge base for future Macs. No two will ever be alike. A finish of 7 hours ahead of the next well sailed J105 boat is amazing and I think deserves some insight into where Asylum went... outside the Manitous?, Beaver?, How long on Wisconsin? It must have been a near perfect course for the conditions. Of course next year will be different....

Congrats to Jon and crew.

I went up I 75 and made it there before most of you guys .I only had to deal with no gas,but I do not remember the gas station I had to re-fill at.It was just started to get dark:-))

Dorin

Whatever,

Congrats on your win,

James

Jim,

I won't waste my time,

I don't need to be stonewalled again.

We all know you guys are trying to be too cool, but the race is over.

"It was dark" Yeah, that's hilarious.

Try to be gracious & humble in your victory.

Anything else is losing the respect of your competition.

When we approached you guys in the empty harbor 2 hrs. after the finish, we got the same stupid answers. " We don't remember"

Again, hilarious.

Take care & congrats on your stealth win.

I'm not sure how calling me would be a waste of your time. If you feel your posting to be a true rep of how you feel, then you have passed up an opportunity to talkto the guy ( and Jim , I'll tell you every single place we went...tough top that...) with a bit of info.

Whatever,

Congrats on your win,

James

Jim,

Wow. What a bitch you are Rich.

Asylum; the stealth J/105 that is too good to post anything about their "amazing" win on SA. That's precious.

Will remember that.

What would you like to be posted Clean?

First off .

Call me a bitch before I clean your " I need to stay down south " ASS.

Second, IF, IF you were interested in what really happened, and not FLUFF bullshit SA bla bla , we would have "heard from you " and "J105 Corrects Over Everyone" would be carried on by now.

I say again, if you want to talk about the race , and have not called me a bitch or the like PM me . Call me or whatever...

Clean, I owe you for the unsolicited "bitch" call...

Maybe bitch was a bit strong, but I'm a little high strung lately what with running around so long and not seeing my home in 6 weeks, so please accept my apology. After devoting a tremendous amount of time to these great races, I was looking forward to hearing about your accomplishment, and your answer to HMC and Grinder were pretty douchebaggish; it seemed like you couldn't be bothered to tell the other few hundred or thousand interested people about your race, and for whatever reason, I take that personally. So be it.

And for what it's worth, I would love to hear how you did it, and love to carry the headline you wrote. I wish I didn't have to ask, and that when someone did ask, you weren't evasive. Maybe I just jumped the gun.

Maybe bitch was a bit strong, but I'm a little high strung lately what with running around so long and not seeing my home in 6 weeks, so please accept my apology. After devoting a tremendous amount of time to these great races, I was looking forward to hearing about your accomplishment, and your answer to HMC and Grinder were pretty douchebaggish; it seemed like you couldn't be bothered to tell the other few hundred or thousand interested people about your race, and for whatever reason, I take that personally. So be it.

Fair enough.

Understand this. I accept and abide by my BO's wish's. There is a tad of that going on ... ...again, any friends who would like to talk any part of if, PM or call me.

"So what we got here is a failure to communicate. "

I guess I got a few questions and I was kinda waiting to hear what the story was.

The boats transponder does not work so nobody could track it?

The BO does not want any of the crew to talk about the track or conditions?

A boat finishes 5 hours ahead of its OD compitition in a light air race in a J105?

It all feels logical to me.......?????

Tracking was voluntary.

I'm waiting for the exclusive to come out on Scuttlebutt....... :o

Congrats to The Asylum for winning the Mac. Great showing. I too wish I knew which way you guys went. I had the pleasure of racing with Caress at the end of the 07 season. Great people and a much deserved win for a dedicated crew.

I ran into Mr. Wiggles on the porch of the Iriquois just before the awards. Our crew was there having dinner to celebrate our section win. The whole crew was there accept for Rich. I said a job well done to them and also said, " Wow this will really boost Rich's already hyper inflated ego". I guess that was one prediction that has come true in less than a week.

Rich, I understand where you are coming from. I am sure Wiggles will issue an official press release when comes down from the high....if that ever happens.

Congrats again.

Hippie

I guess I got a few questions and I was kinda waiting to hear what the story was.

A boat finishes 5 hours ahead of its OD compitition in a light air race in a J105?

Let's not go out there and call anyone cheating.

Just saying

I know those guys well from sailing against them for the last 10 years and that would be out of bounce on someone's part.

I'll tell you what happened.They took a flyer and it all worked out for them.

It happens all the time.Zoom took a flyer also.( now they might have had some weather info that others did not or they read the weather better then others.)

If they went north or south of the islands who cares now?.

Dorin

DC,

You know I'm a fan of outside the Manitous, so I'm just trying to build up data. As best I can tell Zoom, Flash and YNOT went outside and no one else, with the possible exception of the Asylum. BTW Y-NOT picked up 6 boats, by going from the east shore to outside the Manitous. Weather models showed the hole starting on the west side and crossing, with the west side getting the new winds first, which seem to have helped Zoom in the best way. No guts no glory. No other tracked boats were outside, and none picked up the big differences in section times that the winners did, so this time, at least west seems to have paid.

The Asylum started and stayed left for a bit. Not nearly as long as some. The last we saw of Zoom and Flash (after staying with them for about 24hrs) they were still going left. We chose a fortunate time to cross. I'm not sure exactly where we were when we crossed. I'm not as familiar with the WI side as I am the MI , but again , we did not stay on the WI side as long as some. We have a new GPS and need to pull the race data to see what our exact course was for the entire race. We went over the Manitous. And we went through Gray's with Goblin.

The teamwork was awesome and Jon's following of the current weather, forecast weather, and the combo thereof was crazy on. We worked hard to find and stay in wind (Zoom got stuck in an in shore hole for a couple hours behind us) , seemingly going the wrong way at times. We were never stopped. .5 was the slowest we moved the whole race.

Sorry this info comes so late in the game.

The Asylum started and stayed left for a bit. Not nearly as long as some. The last we saw of Zoom and Flash (after staying with them for about 24hrs) they were still going left. We chose a fortunate time to cross. I'm not sure exactly where we were when we crossed. I'm not as familiar with the WI side as I am the MI , but again , we did not stay on the WI side as long as some. We have a new GPS and need to pull the race data to see what our exact course was for the entire race. We went over the Manitous. And we went through Gray's with Goblin.

The teamwork was awesome and Jon's following of the current weather, forecast weather, and the combo thereof was crazy on. We worked hard to find and stay in wind (Zoom got stuck in an in shore hole for a couple hours behind us) , seemingly going the wrong way at times. We were never stopped. .5 was the slowest we moved the whole race.

Sorry this info comes so late in the game.

You really seemed to have hit the sweet spot. There seemed to be some merit to taking light wind early and then being left of the hole that ate the fleet. And then the basics of finding ways to keep moving. Flash did the Tour de Lake Michigan, a little too much mileage.

Great to see someone put the toughest part together and stick to the plan to win in awesome style. Congrats again.

Thanks for the pic.

Are we OK now Jim? ;)

I guess I'll never understand why it was a secret. It seems like the thing we all talk about in the bar after the race when I look like this: :blink:

I saw your owner lurking earlier..... :ph34r:

Thanks for the pic.

Are we OK now Jim? ;)

I guess I'll never understand why it was a secret. It seems like the thing we all talk about in the bar after the race when I look like this: :blink:

It was never a secret. I know we all were on a super high and we never even got a chance to talk it all over and check out our route , stuff like that. Kind of all thought we would debrief and enjoy going back over it before posting exactly what we did. You know I love talking about the races just as much and anybody out there.

I didn't even know Jon checked this out, until this morning. Pm me his ID so I know who to watch for ;)

Thanks for the pic.

Are we OK now Jim? ;)

It was never a secret. I know we all were on a super high and we never even got a chance to talk it all over and check out our route , stuff like that. Kind of all thought we would debrief and enjoy going back over it before posting exactly what we did. You know I love talking about the races just as much and anybody out there.

I didn't even know Jon checked this out, until this morning. Pm me his ID so I know who to watch for ;)

I dont really know how to use this site well. I have made a few posts in the past. There seems to be excellent sailors on this site, some who do not disclose their identity, and some that do. The Asylum arrived back safe and sound yesterday at 4 am, and I am just recovering from a 20 hr trip from Pentwater and also the entire voyage up to Mac and Back. Our delivery team was starting to break down around the mid lake buoy on the way home, due to the wind and lump on the nose and the close quarters down below. I give full credit of our victory to Team The Asylum:

Drew Axelrod

Brad Bergman

Heidi Rocke

Rich Frye

Tom Spees

Part of our team who were not on the race also:

Mark Weglarz

Richard Burton

Mike Walsh

Chris Yelleck

Cheers

Wegs - Jon Weglarz

The Asylum

Just saying

I know those guys well from sailing against them for the last 10 years and that would be out of bounce on someone's part.

It happens all the time.Zoom took a flyer also.( now they might have had some weather info that others did not or they read the weather better then others.)

Dorin

Stop right there, I never said anyone cheated. Never said that at all period. I stated the facts as of the thread, and wish that I had more info. Why the crickets?

Just saying

Dorin

Stop right there, I never said anyone cheated. Never said that at all period. I stated the facts as of the thread, and wish that I had more info. Why the crickets?

It's all good man

Got your point

Dorin

lol, this whole thing is funny. if you want to know where they were not PM me. :(

Congrats to the Asylum you owned it this year!

I thought the best plan was to take the Michigan shore?

Chicago Mac Race Weather

We are just now coming into the forecast window where I am comfortable with the general trends although the various models are still all over the board with velocities for Saturday/ Saturday night.

Here are my recommendations overall:

• Visit Benton Harbor, Muskegon, Ludington on the way to MAC. (That's a hint, not a literal suggestion)

More later as the Wx becomes more clear!

--------------------

Mark Michaelsen

DryUV

The all new Pro-Fit technical apparel is here!!

TOLL FREE 1 888 DRY-SHIRT ext 1

INTERNATIONAL: 562 773 0552

Another shitfight averted. What's going on here?

I know, it sucks

Here let me help...

FUCK ALL YOU GUYS!

here it is for all you guys

Hey Doggie

Don't you fuck'n come in my back yard and accuse anyone of cheating!!

Now, do you guys feel any better now?

Dorin

Team Messy Jessy

DC,

I was asking for info as to the silence of why, how and where. I did not accuse anyone of cheating.

Saying that, You duth protest too much?

Read my post again. I was just quoting the posts that were made and asking someone to clear it up. Your lack of openess is what is pisses me off.

Telling me not come in "your back yard"? EMF!

Chicago Mac Race Weather

We are just now coming into the forecast window where I am comfortable with the general trends although the various models are still all over the board with velocities for Saturday/ Saturday night.

• Visit Benton Harbor, Muskegon, Ludington on the way to MAC. (That's a hint, not a literal suggestion)

Look at the Race Tracker. See that furthermost boat to the east? We bought the side and paid dearly. No blow, very, very slow. ARRGH!

More later as the Wx becomes more clear!

--------------------

Mark Michaelsen

DryUV

The all new Pro-Fit technical apparel is here!!

TOLL FREE 1 888 DRY-SHIRT ext 1

INTERNATIONAL: 562 773 0552

DC,

I was asking for info as to the silence of why, how and where. I did not accuse anyone of cheating.

Saying that, You duth protest too much?

Read my post again. I was just quoting the posts that were made and asking someone to clear it up. Your lack of openess is what is pisses me off.

Telling me not come in "your back yard"? EMF!

Of course I was joking

But anyways ,what is EMF?

I hope it is something nice

DC

Thanks for the pic.

Are we OK now Jim? ;)

I dont really know how to use this site well. I have made a few posts in the past. There seems to be excellent sailors on this site, some who do not disclose their identity, and some that do. The Asylum arrived back safe and sound yesterday at 4 am, and I am just recovering from a 20 hr trip from Pentwater and also the entire voyage up to Mac and Back. Our delivery team was starting to break down around the mid lake buoy on the way home, due to the wind and lump on the nose and the close quarters down below. I give full credit of our victory to Team The Asylum:

Drew Axelrod

Brad Bergman

Heidi Rocke

Rich Frye

Tom Spees

Mark Weglarz

Richard Burton

Mike Walsh

Chris Yelleck

Cheers

Wegs - Jon Weglarz

The Asylum

CONGRATULATIONS to Jon and the crew for a difficult job, well done.

They once again confirmed that J/105 Lake Michigan Fleet 5 ROCKS!

Check out the track for "Challenge" in Group 7. Pretty gutsy move to head out into the lake all by thenselves.

It seems to be paying off "big time" now for them as they're the first in class to the 100 mile to go circle!

Pretty damn good for a 40+ year old S&S IOR design - that is admittedly sailed by a very talented group of one-design racers!

Thanks for the props. Wisco was kind to us. Shout out to Ray for putting together a great team for the last 10 years!

Chicago Mac Race Weather

Look at the Race Tracker. See that furthermost boat to the east? We bought the side and paid dearly. No blow, very, very slow. ARRGH!

You are owed an apology. These weather guys rarely are heard from when they blow it.

But anyways ,what is EMF?

I hope it is something nice

DC

:lol:;):o

Thanks for the pic.

Are we OK now Jim? ;)

Drew Axelrod

Brad Bergman

Heidi Rocke

Rich Frye

Tom Spees

Mark Weglarz

Richard Burton

Mike Walsh

Chris Yelleck

Cheers

Wegs - Jon Weglarz

The Asylum

Great job Wegs

Now

Here is the SA velcome

Fuck off newb!!

or something like that

Congrats to The Asylum for winning the Mac. Great showing. I too wish I knew which way you guys went. I had the pleasure of racing with Caress at the end of the 07 season. Great people and a much deserved win for a dedicated crew.

I ran into Mr. Wiggles on the porch of the Iriquois just before the awards. Our crew was there having dinner to celebrate our section win. The whole crew was there accept for Rich. I said a job well done to them and also said, " Wow this will really boost Rich's already hyper inflated ego". I guess that was one prediction that has come true in less than a week.

Rich, I understand where you are coming from. I am sure Wiggles will issue an official press release when comes down from the high....if that ever happens.

Congrats again.

Hippie: Good seeing you at the Iroquois!! I am still slowly recovering. I finally had a chance to sit back and write down the details of our voyage. I submitted this to CYC today. Sorry it took so long, but I was very, very tired. My program always involves me doing the delivery back - and I was not really able to focus on all of the details which I needed to communicate. Hang me on the SA noose if you want. I was more focused on dodging the fishermen off of Manistee in the fog. There was a fishing contest there for 400 fishermen - and we nearly collided with one. My understanding that the top fisherman was to recieve $10,000 - and they were very feisty with no radar. Maybe they will print it up on the CYC website - take a look later. And also - our entire team including Rich Frye sailed a great race! Cheers Jon Weglarz

Hippie

Congrats again.

Hippie: Good seeing you at the Iroquois!! I am still slowly recovering. I finally had a chance to sit back and write down the details of our voyage. I submitted this to CYC today. Sorry it took so long, but I was very, very tired. My program always involves me doing the delivery back - and I was not really able to focus on all of the details which I needed to communicate. Hang me on the SA noose if you want. I was more focused on dodging the fishermen off of Manistee in the fog. There was a fishing contest there for 400 fishermen - and we nearly collided with one. My understanding that the top fisherman was to recieve $10,000 - and they were very feisty with no radar. Maybe they will print it up on the CYC website - take a look later. And also - our entire team including Rich Frye sailed a great race! Cheers Jon Weglarz

Hippie

Congrats Jon

Jon wanted me to pass along that this was submitted to CYC first (very recently) and now here.

PRESS RELEASE

The Asylum USA #673, Overall Winner, 2009 Chicago-Mackinac Race

July 28, 2009: Chicago, Illinois

The Asylum arrived back from Mackinac Island on Sunday at 4:00 a.m. after a 20-hour delivery from Pentwater. The delivery was lumpy, with winds on the nose. The Asylum is now shackled down, in safe harbor. Our team The Asylum, journey to and back from Mackinac Island is now complete and what an incredible feeling it is!

The few weeks prior to his year’s race were very difficult, preparing the boat for the race, running a business and satisfying family needs –really took its toll on me. However, on Race Day our team of Drew Axelrod, Brad Bergman, Rick Frye, Heidi Rocke, Tom Spees and myself were “ready to go”. Prior to my disclosing our strategy, I must first commend each of our Team The Asylum. I give full credit of our victory to the following of Team Asylum :

Drew Axelrod – 18th Mackinac race. Helmsman, main trimmer and his father, David Axelrod won First in Fleet in 1959.

Brad Bergman - Two time trans Atlantic Ocean crosser, trimmer, helmsman, 10th Mackinac race, navigator, outstanding sailor!

Rich Frye – 15th Mackinac race. Helmsman, start caller, boat-to-boat tactics, main trimmer, outstanding sailor!

Heidi Rocke – 14th Mackinac race, 24 year member of The Asylum, helmswoman, trimmer , pit and she takes care of each o f our team with food provisions and food distribution, personalized for the food tastes of each Team member.

Tom Spees – 18th Mackinac race. Trimmer and food provisioner, helmsman, spiritual leader of our Team in bad times and good times.

Jon Weglarz (me) – 26 year member of The Asylum, 28th Mackinac race

Part of our Team, who were not on the race, must also be acknowledged.

Mark Weglarz – Part of Team Caress 2004 Mac Race around the Manitous; great brother, great retired sailor.

Richard Burton –Part of Team Caress 2004 around the Manitous; great friend, whom I will be racing with this October, in France.

Mike Walsh – great foredecker, childhood friend up to my 10th birthday and reunited thru sailing, unavailable to attend due to work.

Chris Yelleck – land logistics, delivery assistance back to Chicago.

Without the commitments of all the aforementioned Team The Asylum, we would not have won the race.

RACE STRATEGY

Gradient NW winds were predicted for race day. Low pressure was situated in the Eastern states, bringing in a weakening NW flow, straight from Hudson Bay. Weather was very cool. Water temperatures were also cool, creating dense conditions at lake level. High pressure was scheduled to arrive Sunday, bringing no gradient wind. Being on the shoreline and obtaining thermal breeze was the best chance for wind on Sunday during the day. Forecasted for Sunday evening was gradient S to SW flow on the backside of high pressure.

Our initial strategy was to take the predicted NW gradient to Grand Haven area for the Sunday daytime thermal breeze. However, an interesting occurrence happened at the start of the race. A SE breeze formed. This was a lake breeze. This indicated to our Team that the NW gradient had dissolved. The only option to reach land for the Sunday thermals was to head up the Wisconsin shoreline. We hoisted our spinnaker and started heading north – low of course, but fast. Toward evening the sea breeze dissolved and NW to NE wind filled. I was thrilled to see a NE wind, which meant the NW gradient had further dissolved and high pressure was taking control earlier than forecasted... We utilized the NE gradient to take us approximately 8 miles off Milwaukee, on starboard tack. The center of the high was approaching and we needed to be within 8 miles of shore when it settled in.

We tacked up the shoreline in NE/N/NW winds and reached 6 miles off Sheboygan at 8 a.m. Sunday. Clear sunshine was to our NW and thermal clouds quickly filled over the entire shoreline. Flash Gordon and Zoom were about 3 to 4 miles further out to the lake and were behind us. We got the wind first – the thermal lake breeze. Instead of taking it to course, we hoisted the spinnaker and rode the land contour within 7 miles of shore. Our plan was to ride this north until the backside of the high pressure arrived, bringing in a SW gradient.

We did not carry a transponder but in reviewing Zoom’s race tracker, our course closely resembled Zoom’s after Sheboygan. Prior to Sheboygan our course was further left and when NW winds were present at night, they resulted in accelerated shore breeze gradient NW flow, which gave us greater wind near the shoreline. I assume this is how we got ahead of Zoom and Flash Gordon. We started peeling off around Manitowoc with a wind which started clocking. The gradient wind had arrived. Our course was similar to Zooms, however as the wind went south, we gybed back to within 8 miles of Two Rivers. Our Team was thinking the gradient would not be strong enough to penetrate the 55 degree lake. After testing Two Rivers, we gybed back to a course of 30-degrees, which took us just left of Beaver Island. Then the “shift of the race” hit us (and I assume Zoom) a shift to the SW. This shift gave us a course directly to the south of Fox Island. I had experienced this gap before, with my brother and Richard Burton, Heidi Rocke , Brad Bergman and Tom Spees. The wind held for the next 10 hours. We arrived the backside of the Manitou Islands at daybreak – it was a beautiful sight. We were coming in – hidden behind the Manitous – in the rising sun.

I would like to thank Greg Miarecki and his tremendous Race Committee team for a job well done.

I would like to thank the families of our Team for putting up with us – Mrs. Spees, the Frye family, Chris Jenson and Eli Rocke, the Bergman family and the late David Axelrod. I would like to thank my friend, John Mykleby, who got me into racing, Clem Boltz, my mentor and former overall Mac winner, my dad Jack, my mom. Cynthia, the best parents in the world, and my wife, Lisa, and son, Blake, for supporting me. This was the “Race of Our Lifetime”.

Cheers,

Jon Weglarz, Skipper

The Asylum

USA #673

Bump to the front page, as this narrative is too good to miss. It shows the conviction, knowledge and team building it takes to be successful.

Drew Axelrod – 18th Mackinac race. Helmsman, main trimmer and his father, David Axelrod won First in Fleet in 1959.

I remember Dr. Axelrod and his penchant for using his wives' names and marital status to name his boats; BARB, XBARB, MICHELLE.

Jon wanted me to pass along that this was submitted to CYC first (very recently) and now here.

Jon,

You are not only a great sailor, you are a class act!

PRESS RELEASE

The Asylum USA #673, Overall Winner, 2009 Chicago-Mackinac Race

July 28, 2009: Chicago, Illinois

The Asylum arrived back from Mackinac Island on Sunday at 4:00 a.m. after a 20-hour delivery from Pentwater. The delivery was lumpy, with winds on the nose. The Asylum is now shackled down, in safe harbor. Our team The Asylum, journey to and back from Mackinac Island is now complete and what an incredible feeling it is!

The few weeks prior to his year’s race were very difficult, preparing the boat for the race, running a business and satisfying family needs –really took its toll on me. However, on Race Day our team of Drew Axelrod, Brad Bergman, Rick Frye, Heidi Rocke, Tom Spees and myself were “ready to go”. Prior to my disclosing our strategy, I must first commend each of our Team The Asylum. I give full credit of our victory to the following of Team Asylum :

Brad Bergman - Two time trans Atlantic Ocean crosser, trimmer, helmsman, 10th Mackinac race, navigator, outstanding sailor!

Rich Frye – 15th Mackinac race. Helmsman, start caller, boat-to-boat tactics, main trimmer, outstanding sailor!

Heidi Rocke – 14th Mackinac race, 24 year member of The Asylum, helmswoman, trimmer , pit and she takes care of each o f our team with food provisions and food distribution, personalized for the food tastes of each Team member.

Tom Spees – 18th Mackinac race. Trimmer and food provisioner, helmsman, spiritual leader of our Team in bad times and good times.

Jon Weglarz (me) – 26 year member of The Asylum, 28th Mackinac race

Part of our Team, who were not on the race, must also be acknowledged.

Mark Weglarz – Part of Team Caress 2004 Mac Race around the Manitous; great brother, great retired sailor.

Richard Burton –Part of Team Caress 2004 around the Manitous; great friend, whom I will be racing with this October, in France.

Mike Walsh – great foredecker, childhood friend up to my 10th birthday and reunited thru sailing, unavailable to attend due to work.

Chris Yelleck – land logistics, delivery assistance back to Chicago.

Without the commitments of all the aforementioned Team The Asylum, we would not have won the race.

RACE STRATEGY

Gradient NW winds were predicted for race day. Low pressure was situated in the Eastern states, bringing in a weakening NW flow, straight from Hudson Bay. Weather was very cool. Water temperatures were also cool, creating dense conditions at lake level. High pressure was scheduled to arrive Sunday, bringing no gradient wind. Being on the shoreline and obtaining thermal breeze was the best chance for wind on Sunday during the day. Forecasted for Sunday evening was gradient S to SW flow on the backside of high pressure.

Our initial strategy was to take the predicted NW gradient to Grand Haven area for the Sunday daytime thermal breeze. However, an interesting occurrence happened at the start of the race. A SE breeze formed. This was a lake breeze. This indicated to our Team that the NW gradient had dissolved. The only option to reach land for the Sunday thermals was to head up the Wisconsin shoreline. We hoisted our spinnaker and started heading north – low of course, but fast. Toward evening the sea breeze dissolved and NW to NE wind filled. I was thrilled to see a NE wind, which meant the NW gradient had further dissolved and high pressure was taking control earlier than forecasted... We utilized the NE gradient to take us approximately 8 miles off Milwaukee, on starboard tack. The center of the high was approaching and we needed to be within 8 miles of shore when it settled in.

We tacked up the shoreline in NE/N/NW winds and reached 6 miles off Sheboygan at 8 a.m. Sunday. Clear sunshine was to our NW and thermal clouds quickly filled over the entire shoreline. Flash Gordon and Zoom were about 3 to 4 miles further out to the lake and were behind us. We got the wind first – the thermal lake breeze. Instead of taking it to course, we hoisted the spinnaker and rode the land contour within 7 miles of shore. Our plan was to ride this north until the backside of the high pressure arrived, bringing in a SW gradient.

We did not carry a transponder but in reviewing Zoom’s race tracker, our course closely resembled Zoom’s after Sheboygan. Prior to Sheboygan our course was further left and when NW winds were present at night, they resulted in accelerated shore breeze gradient NW flow, which gave us greater wind near the shoreline. I assume this is how we got ahead of Zoom and Flash Gordon. We started peeling off around Manitowoc with a wind which started clocking. The gradient wind had arrived. Our course was similar to Zooms, however as the wind went south, we gybed back to within 8 miles of Two Rivers. Our Team was thinking the gradient would not be strong enough to penetrate the 55 degree lake. After testing Two Rivers, we gybed back to a course of 30-degrees, which took us just left of Beaver Island. Then the “shift of the race” hit us (and I assume Zoom) a shift to the SW. This shift gave us a course directly to the south of Fox Island. I had experienced this gap before, with my brother and Richard Burton, Heidi Rocke , Brad Bergman and Tom Spees. The wind held for the next 10 hours. We arrived the backside of the Manitou Islands at daybreak – it was a beautiful sight. We were coming in – hidden behind the Manitous – in the rising sun.

I would like to thank Greg Miarecki and his tremendous Race Committee team for a job well done.

I would like to thank the families of our Team for putting up with us – Mrs. Spees, the Frye family, Chris Jenson and Eli Rocke, the Bergman family and the late David Axelrod. I would like to thank my friend, John Mykleby, who got me into racing, Clem Boltz, my mentor and former overall Mac winner, my dad Jack, my mom. Cynthia, the best parents in the world, and my wife, Lisa, and son, Blake, for supporting me. This was the “Race of Our Lifetime”.

Cheers,

Jon Weglarz, Skipper

The Asylum

USA #673