Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeanphj

Alinghi launch - Sailing trials

What I knew was A5 had to return last night to Le Bouveret (no safe place to keep her in Geneva) and because of the weather (cold front passed over night and some rain this afternoon, your rainbow). The mast was probably unstepped last night and today was basically a rest day.

Makes sense.

Big day yesterday, it was quite a production. Alinghi-branded balloons, Optimist sails, life jackets, long lines for Alinghi apparel, "ten thousand" people, 500 spectator boats, a cow statue painted up in Alinghi colors, Alinghi bell around it's neck, even a carbon-fiber alpine horn - Wow.

post-17804-1249230078_thumb.jpg

They timed it well to the soundtrack in the video as someone lifted it to the sky. Nice work.

MAN THAT DEATH TRAP HULL IS ROUGH---- LOOK AT THAT PICTURE -GEEZ-ZERS-

I DEFINITELY SEE CLEARLY --LARGE TROWEL MARKS --ARE THOSE SAGS ? LOL ITS DRIPPING/ SAGING BONDO----VERY ARTISTIC--

THOSE PEOPLES FEET GONNA GET CUT UP FROM THOSE STALAGTITES--OR STA-SAG-TITES ----HANGING OFF THERE--

Nice line, from Win the hearts

L'hymne national a retenti pour l'occasion. The national anthem was heard for the occasion. «Je ne pouvais pas imaginer un jour plus symbolique» pour cette cérémonie, a déclaré Mme Calmy-Rey. "I could not imagine a more symbolic for the ceremony," said Calmy-Rey. La Suisse ne possède pas de navires de guerre, mais elle pourra conquérir le coeur des peuples du monde grâce à la beauté et à la rapidité d'Alinghi 5, at-elle ajouté. Switzerland has no warships, but can win the hearts of the peoples of the world through the beauty and speed of Alinghi 5," she added.

But, lol, a Swiss rebel writes this in response:

.. Switzerland is not a country of oceans. Il a quelque chose qui cloche. There is something wrong.

What I knew was A5 had to return last night to Le Bouveret (no safe place to keep her in Geneva) and because of the weather (cold front passed over night and some rain this afternoon, your rainbow). The mast was probably unstepped last night and today was basically a rest day.

Makes sense.

Big day yesterday, it was quite a production. Alinghi-branded balloons, Optimist sails, life jackets, long lines for Alinghi apparel, "ten thousand" people, 500 spectator boats, a cow statue painted up in Alinghi colors, Alinghi bell around it's neck, even a carbon-fiber alpine horn - Wow.

They timed it well to the soundtrack in the video as someone lifted it to the sky. Nice work.

I DEFINITELY SEE CLEARLY --LARGE TROWEL MARKS --ARE THOSE SAGS ? LOL ITS DRIPPING/ SAGING BONDO----VERY ARTISTIC--

THOSE PEOPLES FEET GONNA GET CUT UP FROM THOSE STALAGTITES--OR STA-SAG-TITES ----HANGING OFF THERE--

Hey, I like that Alpine 'Horn of Trap' or whatever, it's pretty cool :)

290q5qs.jpg

"the rope" in detail, as well as the two hydraulic rams controling the foil in both incidences.

Great pics, especialy from the foil control mechanism, I had in my mind the task to try to do a picture like this one but was never so close to A5.... Well done

"the rope" in detail, as well as the two hydraulic rams controling the foil in both incidences.

Great pics, especialy from the foil control mechanism, I had in my mind the task to try to do a picture like this one but was never so close to A5.... Well done

Yes, great control, sideways for leebow lift and fore and aft for total hull form lift out of the water.

Could all be servo controlled for automatic trim off a gyro stabalising level???

That friggen great hunk of polution down the back could be running all sorts of shit.

This thing will not sail without an engine full stop so lucky they bounced the judge thier way

Makes sense.

Hey, I like that Alpine 'Horn of Trap' or whatever, it's pretty cool :)

290q5qs.jpg

LOL-- IS THAT A HORN ?? OFF WHAT --KIND ANIMAL --?? MUST BE FAKE--

I THOUGHT IT WAS THE INTAKE AIR INDUCTION TUBE FOR THAT SKIDOO MOTOR--RAM FORCE INDUCTION ?

ADD-- GEEZ BRO OPENED THAT PIC -THAT HORN --ALMOST KNOCKED OUT MY EYE -WATCH IT-- LOL--ZOOMER

I THOUGHT IT WAS THE INTAKE AIR INDUCTION TUBE FOR THAT SKIDOO MOTOR--RAM FORCE INDUCTION ?

ADD-- GEEZ BRO OPENED THAT PIC -THAT HORN --ALMOST KNOCKED OUT MY EYE -WATCH IT-- LOL--ZOOMER

Clever!

Well since it 'caught your eye' here's a couple more. I think we're going to be seeing that horn in different locales and events soon, could be fun to track it. Perhaps it will get an Anarchy Party all horny some day? Kind of a Captain Horatio thing?

n1vxco.jpg

o6fmzq.jpg

Hey, now I remember what that thing reminds me of..... How much herb d'ya think they could load in that?

post-271-1249284589_thumb.jpg

Strange thing here, hopefully nothing?

MarkTwain White August 2, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Hollywood August 1, 2009 — Today MTW Productions filed a lawsuit in the Federal Court seeking an injuction against Alinghi of Switzerland from broadcasting their new “Alinghi First Sail” video. MarkTwain White refered to the obviously copying of MTW Production style in Alinghi’s video. “Clearly they are using music from my sound library” and have seen how successfully we have used that music and style to cover the Fizz Cup, the premiere international racing series since the America’s Cup has been more of a legal story than a sailing story.

GOOD SNAG BRO-- ON THAT IF ITS TRUE

TYPICAL ALINGHI CHEATERS - RIPPING OFF - WHICH FEDERAL COURT I WONDER- SWISS DONT HAVE COURTS --JUST PAY THE BANK --YOU WIN-- WHOOPIE--WE WON--

I WILL LOOK AROUND LATER-

The Second Life Federal Court!

Shit you are gullible Hiawatha.

Hey, now I remember what that thing reminds me of..... How much herb d'ya think they could load in that?

Hardly classed as "performance enhancing" :blink:

Hardly classed as "performance enhancing" :blink:

Unless you're about to enter a a brownie and Pringles eating contest.

Maybe that's where he's suing Saudi, Spain, Switzerland et alia! :D

wasn't he sueing you too ?

who is going to bail you out when you get nicked for whatever funny misdeed the sockwarrior can pin on you ?

;)

who is going to bail you out when you get nicked for whatever funny misdeed the sockwarrior can pin on you ?

;)

Yeah, I'm somewhere on that long list. Dunno who'll bail me out, but it won't be Ehman that's for sure! LOL What currency do Second Life cops accept?

;)

Yeah, I'm somewhere on that long list. Dunno who'll bail me out, but it won't be Ehman that's for sure! LOL What currency do Second Life cops accept?

Linden dollars

Thanks!

Next step: go on the boat and take a vertical shot of the hole around the box, to see how it's articulated and fixed... I was close, but to see vertically inside you have to step on it.

Anyway, the box is made of big full carbon sections able to sustain great loads.

It's also interesting to see that the surface at the top of the foil is already quite worned, as well as the top of the trailing edge, showing that it's not moving really freely as it should.

post-38390-1249305041_thumb.jpg

I bet this guy will know what to do with that Alinghi Horn :) Guess where he is..

2zhqk95.jpg

Thanks!

Next step: go on the boat and take a vertical shot of the hole around the box, to see how it's articulated and fixed... I was close, but to see vertically inside you have to step on it.

Anyway, the box is made of big full carbon sections able to sustain great loads.

It's also interesting to see that the surface at the top of the foil is already quite worned, as well as the top of the trailing edge, showing that it's not moving really freely as it should.

They might have used the hydraulics with the foil under some load. Probably already learned that it can only be moved when totally unloaded.

If they have enough time for tests, it is possible that they find ideal positions so the hydraulics can be removed for the race - and probably new foils built.

Luiz

Clever!

Well since it 'caught your eye' here's a couple more. I think we're going to be seeing that horn in different locales and events soon, could be fun to track it. Perhaps it will get an Anarchy Party all horny some day? Kind of a Captain Horatio thing?

n1vxco.jpg

o6fmzq.jpg

Ooooo....capture the horn....

No sailing yesterday, mast still down, no crane activity yet at 7:40 am, will await Alinghi's Twitter at 9:00 am local time to see if there will be sailing today, maybe a last day sail in an interesting wind - north, gusty, 6 to 10 knots, gust to 15?

Come on guys, go for it!!!

No sailing yesterday, mast still down, no crane activity yet at 7:40 am, will await Alinghi's Twitter at 9:00 am local time to see if there will be sailing today, maybe a last day sail in an interesting wind - north, gusty, 6 to 10 knots, gust to 15?

Come on guys, go for it!!!

Why would they bother, they never intend to sail in breeze over 8knts

Smoke and mirrors this talk about a good boat in a breeze <_<<_<

Well, this is the end of A5 sailing on Lake Geneva, the boom has left on a truck, the mast, the foils are down on the hard and A5 as well. Rumors mill says that A5 will leave by the end of the week.

There is a curious picture on the Alinghi Twitter. Legend says practicing for Friday's big lift off.... Could that be Mast 2 being transported? Cause I saw M1 still on the ground.

post-36609-1249391924_thumb.jpg

Well, this is the end of A5 sailing on Lake Geneva, the boom as left on a truck, the mast, the foils are down on the hard and A5 as well. Rumors mills says that A5 will leave by the end of the week.

There is a curious picture on the Alhingi Twitter. Could that be Mast 2 being transported?

Or a massive new Swiss horn ? :P

You might have seen it allready but its cool, from ValenciaSailing (original Alinghi TV):

Nice video of a motor boat.

Well, this is the end of A5 sailing on Lake Geneva, the boom has left on a truck, the mast, the foils are down on the hard and A5 as well. Rumors mill says that A5 will leave by the end of the week.

There is a curious picture on the Alinghi Twitter. Legend says practicing for Friday's big lift off.... Could that be Mast 2 being transported? Cause I saw M1 still on the ground.

Could well be. Do you have a comparison shot handy? I think M1 had a red tip, and a red EPFL branding a little lower down?

I wonder how they will transport the masts over the Alps. Two helicopters, plus the big Mi 26?

M1 is red tipped, that shot could have been the transport of M2 to Genoa and yes a second heli would fly M1, unless they decide to leave it behind? Is there an anarchist in Genoa?

M1 is red tipped.

Strange that they'd make it so easy to work out which mast they're using by making them different colours don't you think? Or perhaps they just think it will be startlingly obvious.

Is there an anarchist in Genoa?

Philippe, it has only just occurred to me that the move to Genoa will mark the end of your reporting. Thanks very much for your excellent Léman-side updates - here's hoping that someone in Genoa will take up the mantle next!

Clever!

n1vxco.jpg

o6fmzq.jpg

Ooooo....capture the horn....

oh, it's a horn? i tought it might be some kind of hi-tech bong :P .

Philippe, it has only just occurred to me that the move to Genoa will mark the end of your reporting. Thanks very much for your excellent Léman-side updates - here's hoping that someone in Genoa will take up the mantle next!

+1 Thanks Philippe!

M1 is red tipped.

Strange that they'd make it so easy to work out which mast they're using by making them different colours don't you think? Or perhaps they just think it will be startlingly obvious.

+1 - they really have been excellent. A very nice piece of timely, informative unbiased reporting with AWESOME pictures.

M1 is red tipped.

+1 - they really have been excellent. A very nice piece of timely, informative unbiased reporting with AWESOME pictures.

+1 - Great attitude, Philippe!

It was a bittersweet day for some of us when Dogzilla left the Northwest, but it was definitely the right move for the boat.

Philippe, Like the rest of the SAAC crew here, many thanks for your great pics, commentary, intel gathering & especially taking the time out so all of us could feel like we were there too. Cheers :)

M1 is red tipped, that shot could have been the transport of M2 to Genoa and yes a second heli would fly M1, unless they decide to leave it behind? Is there an anarchist in Genoa?

Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into being the eyes and ears of SA. Yours will be a hard act to follow!

thanks for all your comments, it made it wortwhile, one more pic....

The bowsprit end with the integrated furling gear (one pump, one gear box and the furling bottom part, all nicely boxed)

post-36609-1249453296_thumb.jpg

thanks for all your comments, it made it wortwhile, one more pic....

The bowsprit end with the integrated furling gear (one pump, one gear box and the furling bottom part, all nicely boxed)

Thanks again, Philippe, you have been a real star.

This picture sums up a lot of what I have tried to say about powered systems. This isn't something you buy off the shelf and you certainly don't design, make and commision it overnight. Here is a bit of well designed, groundbreaking boat gear. Note how the whole system is moulded into the bowsprit. This couldn't be achieved converting an existing set up. And I am sure there will be lots of other examples of this on A5. BOR have a lot of development work to do to catch up. Unlesss their new boat was specifically designed for power systems, which would have been a huge risk, it is unlikely they will have all the gucci detailing typified by what we see here.

Certainly looks like a bespoke bit of gear.

Not sure about the lack of redundancy tho.

Presum the designers have worked the odds.

What happens when it breaks, jams, blows a seal, gets rammed, strips gears, punctures a hose, hooks a sheet etc midrace?

Couple of simple block may be a slower furling but certainly proven, relatively bulletproof and with some redundancy.

Increasing complexity IMO is not necesarily a good thing.

I hope a fault in something like this does not result in lopsided races.

Very little opportunity for come back from gear failures in a 2 or 3 race winner takes all series.

Certainly looks like a bespoke bit of gear.

Not sure about the lack of redundancy tho.

Presum the designers have worked the odds.

What happens when it breaks, jams, blows a seal, gets rammed, strips gears, punctures a hose, hooks a sheet etc midrace?

Couple of simple block may be a slower furling but certainly proven, relatively bulletproof and with some redundancy.

Increasing complexity IMO is not necesarily a good thing.

I hope a fault in something like this does not result in lopsided races.

Very little opportunity for come back from gear failures in a 2 or 3 race winner takes all series.

The whole assembly looks like it was built separately and then slipped over and welded/bolted to the bowsprit. Couple of things about this gear:

1: The actual furler rotating part looks like a mechanical inline gearbox, rather than an integrated hydraulic motor-gearbox unit;

2: There is a reduction chain drive from the motor to the input shaft of the inline gearbox, with I suspect a clutch mounted on the bigger sprocket to facilitate disconnection as needed. This suggests there is a mechanical back-up drive mechanism for manual operation if the hydraulics fail.

3: The directional control valve is solenoid operated, so it will be easy to over-ride and return the motor spool to neutral to allow manual operation of the furler through a mechanical linkage inside the bowsprit;

4: The hydraulic motor is plumbed with high-pressure tube rather than hoses to minimise damage and keep the plumbing tidy.

All in all, there is nothing too complicated about the furler from the hydraulic-mechanical design and build perspective. Operationally, I don't believe there is any synchronisation of the furling/unfurling speed with the winch, so no fancy control needed.

In prevision for tomorrow's flight, the Russian heli is been refueled today, here below the link to the webcam to watch it fly off, as soon as I get info on the flight plan I will try to pass it on... For now it stands at early morning take off, pick A5 around 7h30 at Le Bouveret (boat will be on the water moored to a local barge), fly over the Alps, maybe one stop over (?) and ETA in Genoa around midday local time

http://webcams.rcv.ch/webcam_detail.php?we...1&loading=4

Yes one stop in Cerrione airport, to refuel. 1h 30' for stop and refuel. They will land Alinghi V on ground (scary), refuel (7000ltrs gas), and go on to genova. Arriving scheduled between 10.00 and 10.30, so ETA Genova probably after 13.00.

Might get there for pictures if anyone interested

Yes one stop in Cerrione airport, to refuel. 1h 30' for stop and refuel. They will land Alinghi V on ground (scary), refuel (7000ltrs gas), and go on to genova. Arriving scheduled between 10.00 and 10.30, so ETA Genova probably after 13.00.

So, it's over to you, roca?

Of course is anyone interested!!!

I read somewehre that the enormous MI-26 can fly 600km without refuelling.... The distance to genova is 270 km! do they really need this dangerous stop?

I dont think they will, but may be the high St Bernard pass and the charge force them to burn quite a lot more fuel than usually

Let see and prepare yourself Genova guys... you will follow it there live to know when it's arriving to you to take up the reporting relay.

A little pic with a good rendering of the human scale related to the flying beast! (by the way, look at the flex of the blade, for those which are anxious about DZ twisting so much!!!!)

& Thanks one more time to Philippe for the usefull infos!

post-38390-1249553598_thumb.jpg

I think we can very safely say that there are a LOT of people on here who are interested. . . think the trip to Le Bouveret was the most watched SA thread EVER!

So anything you can post will be greatly appreciated.

+1

I read somewehre that the enormous MI-26 can fly 600km without refuelling.... The distance to genova is 270 km! do they really need this dangerous stop?

I dont think they will, but may be the high St Bernard pass and the charge force them to burn quite a lot more fuel than usually

Let see and prepare yourself Genova guys... you will follow it there live to know when it's arriving to you to take up the reporting relay.

A little pic with a good rendering of the human scale related to the flying beast! (by the way, look at the flex of the blade, for those which are anxious about DZ twisting so much!!!!)

& Thanks one more time to Philippe for the usefull infos!

My take is that the 600km is a normal flight with some average load inside the cargo bay. Now flying a giant cat on a leash (lol) is another matter, when they flew from Villeneuve they made a straight line test flight above the lake to gather data as speed and consumption, I think they have it pretty well planned and the stop will also serve as the custom stop over I understand...

This infos posted were on local newspaper this morning, probably from Airport executives. Not insider infos.

They prepared a landing area (cutting grass) far from airport structure as the beast is said to create winds 200 km/h and would move the turistic planes grounded.

One more interesting ting is that they will probably make customs here in airport and Guardia di Finanza waiting there.

Also here

http://www.lastampa.it/sport/cmsSezioni/ve...21916girata.asp

I will be there in Cerrione.

This answering if I were to be ingeonova or Cerrione.

By the way, in Genova is very very though to get close and get pictures or infos. Amico is inside the harbour and it is all closed and guarded day and night (the whole harbour).

Same for Yachting Club where they will host medias. Good way to get control of anyone accessing. Not authorized people inside the harbour area can get trail and jail, very serious penal stuff (mr clean do you hear the call..eh eh).

only authorized people can get close.

I always thought this one more reason for choosing there.

From water it is right in the entrance of genova harbour, very busy with ships and ferries... not a good place to stay around on a RIB, I think there too harbour authorities can complain and have powers...

Then in the bay by sailing no problem but the base and ground is well "defended".

This at least what I know.

Not my style to bloat but I think its nice to collect the following messages in one place...

KingMonkey: "Philippe, it has only just occurred to me that the move to Genoa will mark the end of your reporting. Thanks very much for your excellent Léman-side updates "

SimonN: "Thanks again, Philippe, you have been a real star."

RHough: "Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into being the eyes and ears of SA. Yours will be a hard act to follow! "

Wave Dancer: "Your posts have been compelling. Thanks "

Peelman: "Philippe, Like the rest of the SAAC crew here, many thanks for your great pics, commentary, intel gathering & especially taking the time out so all of us could feel like we were there too. Cheers :) "

Finnfart: "Mil Gracias, Muito Obrigao, et Merci Beacoup. We're off to the land of Grazie."

Rennmaus: "I can only join the posters above in thanking you for your efforts, your time and all the great stuff you posted here, reports and photos. "

TurmoilJ: "+1 - they really have been excellent. A very nice piece of timely, informative unbiased reporting with AWESOME pictures. "

Stingray: "+1 - Great attitude, Philippe!"

atefooterz: "+ me Great reporting and pics thanks Philippe ! "

analog77: "+1 Thanks Philippe! "

Blackman: "Thanks one more time to Philippe for the usefull infos!"

To close it in one shot from Sail-World (JPJ):

Alt_Image%2012.jpg

Thanks also for a great forum!

Not my style to bloat but I think its nice to collect the following messages in one place...

KingMonkey: "Philippe, it has only just occurred to me that the move to Genoa will mark the end of your reporting. Thanks very much for your excellent Léman-side updates "

SimonN: "Thanks again, Philippe, you have been a real star."

RHough: "Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into being the eyes and ears of SA. Yours will be a hard act to follow! "

Wave Dancer: "Your posts have been compelling. Thanks "

Peelman: "Philippe, Like the rest of the SAAC crew here, many thanks for your great pics, commentary, intel gathering & especially taking the time out so all of us could feel like we were there too. Cheers :) "

Finnfart: "Mil Gracias, Muito Obrigao, et Merci Beacoup. We're off to the land of Grazie."

Rennmaus: "I can only join the posters above in thanking you for your efforts, your time and all the great stuff you posted here, reports and photos. "

TurmoilJ: "+1 - they really have been excellent. A very nice piece of timely, informative unbiased reporting with AWESOME pictures. "

Stingray: "+1 - Great attitude, Philippe!"

atefooterz: "+ me Great reporting and pics thanks Philippe ! "

analog77: "+1 Thanks Philippe! "

Blackman: "Thanks one more time to Philippe for the usefull infos!"

To close it in one shot from Sail-World (JPJ):

Alt_Image%2012.jpg

Thanks also for a great forum!

... and thanks to Alinghi for not to chance the parking ground in Bouveret into a maximum security prison

A right thing to do Philippe. . . but for once I need to correct your English as you may wish to 'gloat' rather than 'bloat'.

The latter would be uncomfortable.

... and thanks to Alinghi for not to chance the parking ground in Bouveret into a maximum security prison

. . . from what I heard, Genoa is unfortunately going to be!

Just a thought but could the openness of Alinghi on the lake have been deliberate to influence DZ development whilst the real Defender will be unveiled in more secrecy in Genoa?

Just a thought but could the openness of Alinghi on the lake have been deliberate to influence DZ development whilst the real Defender will be unveiled in more secrecy in Genoa?

How would they move the constructed boat from Swizterland to Italy without anyone not seeing it?

At this time, we don't know what the final DZ is going to look like.

How would they move the constructed boat from Swizterland to Italy without anyone not seeing it?

I dreamt about secret helo flights last night (seriously !) :blink:

I was thinking that the developments on use of engine, mast (wing?) and other elements may be done in a higher mode of secrecy having already led BOR down a particular path through the (surprising) openness on the lake.

I was thinking that the developments on use of engine, mast (wing?) and other elements may be done in a higher mode of secrecy having already led BOR down a particular path through the (surprising) openness on the lake.

It wouldn't suprise me if they had already shipped parts donw to Genoa by other means of transport. For instance, a wing can be broken down into sections that I am sure could be transported by road.