Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jsailor002984847

J105

Way to start a Sh^t storm in your first post. I like em but other boats have some good characteristics as well.

Pitiful.

Don't quit your day job, Dude.

This is going to take lots of beer and popcorn.

Praising the J105 OR announcing himself as a newbie, I would have believed it. But BOTH?

Nice try, buddy, but TOO perfect.

J105 is my favorite class by far it is the most perfect boat I have ever sailed. I am new to sailing anarchy so i would like to hear from you forum readers on what you think

Is that you Dr, Laura? New owner of #130?

J105 is my favorite class by far it is the most perfect boat I have ever sailed. I am new to sailing anarchy so i would like to hear from you forum readers on what you think

Obviously you have never sailed a Mac 26...

Great class, great boat and a wonderful bunch of sailors.

Great class, great boat and a wonderful bunch of sailors.

are you feeling ok?

no better boat...what area you sailing pal?

OD or PH

I'm trying to get a ride on more of these, which coast you on PAL?

Personally I prefer the West Wright Potter but then again I’m in into long distance racing!!

Ohh I almost forgot.......... welcome to Sailing Anarchy if there is anything we can do to make your visit more enjoyable please let us know.

:D

I heard only the mighty Rainbow is superior to a J-105, so you have just one more boat to go to get to sailing heaven...........

TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a better chance of Global Warming in my lifetime, than there is that JaySailornumberwhaterer is actually a newbie.

Not buying it.

Someone with a low member number is having a good chuckle and enjoying the anonymity of their newly created alias.

There is a better chance of Global Warming in my lifetime, than there is that JaySailornumberwhaterer is actually a newbie.

Not buying it.

Someone with a low member number is having a good chuckle and enjoying the anonymity of their newly created alias.

WOW do you realy think so???????????????????????????????????????????

CONE!

love it, like it or hate it with a passion, we sail it and had a good time sailing it.....

for us, it is all about going out there and having a good time, who cares how we do as long as we tried hard, raced hard and partied hard

Love the one you're with. If you've got a J105 cool, if you don't, then hopefully you've got something else to sail. Sailing is what is important, posting about sailing is not important...it's just noise.

I know many of you have seen this but I still think this was one of the best 105 rides I ever had.post-1988-1261425307_thumb.jpg

wow, thats a lot of water!

and the kite aint all the way up...

I know many of you have seen this but I still think this was one of the best 105 rides I ever had.post-1988-1261425307_thumb.jpg

wow, thats a lot of water!

and the kite aint all the way up...

We were just happy to get it up and keep it there. Soon as it first filled, it was back of the bus time. Peaked at 20.4 but going 18.5 in the photos.

I know many of you have seen this but I still think this was one of the best 105 rides I ever had.

Why only a fractional kite?

Nice boats for single/two handed offshore racing. E.g. Oscar Mead in the OSTAR singlehanded transatlantic.

0_0_0_0_511_384_csupload_5317293.jpg

I know many of you have seen this but I still think this was one of the best 105 rides I ever had.

Nice boats for single/two handed offshore racing. E.g. Oscar Mead in the OSTAR singlehanded transatlantic.

because the Hall spar on the US Boats isn't strong enough for a masthead chute.....the one thing I think would help the boat .

because the Hall spar on the US Boats isn't strong enough for a masthead chute.....the one thing I think would help the boat .

What make spar does the boat in the pic boat have?

I believe that J Europe uses a Sparcraft for their J models.

I believe that J Europe uses a Sparcraft for their J models.

Interesting... The latest one in these parts has a Sparcraft stick as well. Appears to be slightly thicker with less taper to the tip. Less bendy?

Correct - all European built boats have Sparcraft masts - the early boats in Europe were imported from the US and they have the Hall mast. We've never noticed any material difference in performance between the two masts. This includes masthead vs frac kites - the OD rule dictates max area at 95sqm and the hoist height appears to make no difference, the frac kites have more shoulder and project out a little better I think so perhaps equalising the advantage of the masthead hoist. The Sparcraft mast is thicker particular in the tip, the boom is also more beefy. We can change it's shape easily with the normal controls.

Anyone ever try to fly the 110m2 chute from the masthead of a Hall spar? Did it work? Anything break?

The standard Hall spar does not have a sheave (or whatever other hardware is needed) for the masthead. You would likely need to add some weight aloft to fit one, which would be disadvantageous for OD racing.

I've seen three mast failures in SF Bay racing over the last few years:

1 - Kite up, reaching from Yellow Bluff to X in 30kts. The boat hit a freighter wake and flicked the top of the mast off. I was back about 200m and watched it happen.

2 - Backstay caught on Lightship buoy pulled the top off the mast.

3 - T-bone put a lot of stress on the forestay and cracked the attachment point at the mast end of the forestay. Mast did not come down.

My guess is that the mast is weakest when being pulled backwards at the tip, not forwards as a masthead kite would. Perhaps keeping a little backstay would be a good idea.

I'm setting my boat up for PHRF racing with my kid - 150% jib for light spots etc. The 110m^2 kite would be nice for those big patches of bay with no wind that seem to show up on the distance races. I need a better AP this year, so boat budget will go to that. Perhaps next year for the 110m.

The standard Hall spar does not have a sheave (or whatever other hardware is needed) for the masthead. You would likely need to add some weight aloft to fit one, which would be disadvantageous for OD racing.

I've seen three mast failures in SF Bay racing over the last few years:

1 - Kite up, reaching from Yellow Bluff to X in 30kts. The boat hit a freighter wake and flicked the top of the mast off. I was back about 200m and watched it happen.

2 - Backstay caught on Lightship buoy pulled the top off the mast.

3 - T-bone put a lot of stress on the forestay and cracked the attachment point at the mast end of the forestay. Mast did not come down.

My guess is that the mast is weakest when being pulled backwards at the tip, not forwards as a masthead kite would. Perhaps keeping a little backstay would be a good idea.

I'm setting my boat up for PHRF racing with my kid - 150% jib for light spots etc. The 110m^2 kite would be nice for those big patches of bay with no wind that seem to show up on the distance races. I need a better AP this year, so boat budget will go to that. Perhaps next year for the 110m.

Thx.

/D/