Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trackday

Fastnet: from Rosebud / Team DYT

I am surprised that I cannot find a Fastnet thread on SA ... so here we go:

Tomorrow at 2:00 local time Rosebud / Team DYT will start the Fastnet Race off of the Royal Yacht Squadron along with 299 other boats. There is a blog site on the official RORC website( http://fastnet.rorc.org/blog/news-2009/index.html )that I will probably post to a couple of times during the race but old habits die hard so most of my posts will be to the SA site.

You will be able to follow the progress of the race on the tracker http://fastnet.rorc.org/blog/race-informat...king/index.html (Rosebud will be in class IRC SZ (super zero)) which will update every half hour so there will not be much point in me giving position information during the race. Instead I will supply my normal commentary about race conditions and our mental state (or lack thereof).

We have just received our latest weather routing for the race and it lays the race out as follows: We will beat out of the Solent and along the South Coast in a building sea breeze that will die off prior to sunset. The first big decision will be whether to spend the first night looking for drainage from the land or to head out into the English Channel and seek the light NW gradient breeze. On Monday, as we approach Lands End the breeze will begin to build to the 20’s. Then it looks to be a nice long wet beat to the Irish Coast before we spend Tuesday running in moderate breeze Scilly Isles. We will just have to wait to see what will happen on Wednesday weather wise as we progress from Lands End to Plymouth.

In our class, there are some really great boats with some great sailors. Although we were able to beat RAN and Luna Rossa in Cowes Week, we are under no delusion that we hold a boat speed advantage over these boats. The good news is that both boats will owe us time in this race and hopefully that will work to our advantage as we approach the finish.

So, our team will work hard throughout the race, knowing that there will be more than one restart in this race. Now that the Volvo race has ended, we are able to sail again with Jono Swain (who was watch captain on Telefonica Blue and for the first time, Jules Salter will be sailing with us. Jules was the Navigator on board Ericsson 4. I will fill you in on the rest of our 14 man crew during the race.

Until race day,

Rosebud / Team DYT …. Out

Tomorrow at 2:00 local time Rosebud / Team DYT will start the Fastnet Race off of the Royal Yacht Squadron along with 299 other boats. There is a blog site on the official RORC website( http://fastnet.rorc.org/blog/news-2009/index.html )that I will probably post to a couple of times during the race but old habits die hard so most of my posts will be to the SA site.

You will be able to follow the progress of the race on the tracker http://fastnet.rorc.org/blog/race-informat...king/index.html (Rosebud will be in class IRC SZ (super zero)) which will update every half hour so there will not be much point in me giving position information during the race. Instead I will supply my normal commentary about race conditions and our mental state (or lack thereof).

We have just received our latest weather routing for the race and it lays the race out as follows: We will beat out of the Solent and along the South Coast in a building sea breeze that will die off prior to sunset. The first big decision will be whether to spend the first night looking for drainage from the land or to head out into the English Channel and seek the light NW gradient breeze. On Monday, as we approach Lands End the breeze will begin to build to the 20's. Then it looks to be a nice long wet beat to the Irish Coast before we spend Tuesday running in moderate breeze Scilly Isles. We will just have to wait to see what will happen on Wednesday weather wise as we progress from Lands End to Plymouth.

In our class, there are some really great boats with some great sailors. Although we were able to beat RAN and Luna Rossa in Cowes Week, we are under no delusion that we hold a boat speed advantage over these boats. The good news is that both boats will owe us time in this race and hopefully that will work to our advantage as we approach the finish.

So, our team will work hard throughout the race, knowing that there will be more than one restart in this race. Now that the Volvo race has ended, we are able to sail again with Jono Swain (who was watch captain on Telefonica Blue and for the first time, Jules Salter will be sailing with us. Jules was the Navigator on board Ericsson 4. I will fill you in on the rest of our 14 man crew during the race.

Until race day,

Go get'em Malcolm!

1. Take pictures of the coolest boats around the docks before you go.
  2. Capture some images when you're out on the starting line.
  3. Take at least a few photos during the race.
  4. Take video at the post race festivities.
  5. Take snapshots of tits!!

Post 'em all up here!

We have just received our latest weather routing for the race and it lays the race out as follows: We will beat out of the Solent and along the South Coast in a building sea breeze that will die off prior to sunset. The first big decision will be whether to spend the first night looking for drainage from the land or to head out into the English Channel and seek the light NW gradient breeze. On Monday, as we approach Lands End the breeze will begin to build to the 20's. Then it looks to be a nice long wet beat to the Irish Coast before we spend Tuesday running in moderate breeze Scilly Isles. We will just have to wait to see what will happen on Wednesday weather wise as we progress from Lands End to Plymouth.

Until race day,

Go get'em Malcolm!

Battle of checkbooks...Any astronaouts or ex Presidents on board? Big Yawn.

Until race day,

Go get'em Malcolm!

You really are dumb as fuck LISailorkid. I know I shouldn't expect a coherent sentence from you but honestly, what the fuck are you talking about!?

Until race day,

Go get'em Malcolm!

You really are dumb as fuck LISailorkid. I know I shouldn't expect a coherent sentence from you but honestly, what the fuck are you talking about!?

Would rather hear about the J105 double hander than how many pros you can stack on another unlimited budget

20 knot shitbox. Oh.. and lick my balls.

ps. no offense to trackday and his always excellent OTW reports. Otherwise we wouldnt hear if ARod was on board.

Until race day,

Go get'em Malcolm!

Would rather hear about the J105 double hander than how many pros you can stack on another unlimited budget

20 knot shitbox. Oh.. and lick my balls.

ps. no offense to trackday and his always excellent OTW reports. Otherwise we wouldnt hear if ARod was on board.

I'm looking forward to trackdays updates as well.

Though I wouldn't mind you keeping quiet. I also have a few choice words about your post but I would rather waste my time poking akaGP with a stick. Much more satisfying.

We have just received our latest weather routing for the race and it lays the race out as follows: We will beat out of the Solent and along the South Coast in a building sea breeze that will die off prior to sunset. The first big decision will be whether to spend the first night looking for drainage from the land or to head out into the English Channel and seek the light NW gradient breeze. On Monday, as we approach Lands End the breeze will begin to build to the 20’s. Then it looks to be a nice long wet beat to the Irish Coast before we spend Tuesday running in moderate breeze Scilly Isles. We will just have to wait to see what will happen on Wednesday weather wise as we progress from Lands End to Plymouth.

Until race day,

My advice (you listening, Jules?) - go South, young man. Once past the Bridge buoy hang onto Starboard tack till everyone's blue with yelling at you to cover the boys going up the beach. Resist. Resist some more. And keep resisting, dodging Ramwel kisses (assuming you have winch handles on that thing). About midnight, hang a right, and carry good breeze right down the Channel until the new stuff comes in. Then you're off to the races while everyone else is attempting to kedge in the foul crap off Portland.

Worked for us in 89. And 95 big big big time (ask Ludde). Less so in 97, but we still won most of the Class 0 (and overall) tinware.

1. Take pictures of the coolest boats around the docks before you go.
  2. Capture some images when you're out on the starting line.
  3. Take at least a few photos during the race.
  4. Take video at the post race festivities.
  5. Take snapshots of tits!!

Not necessarily in that order.

Rosebud is one hour from the start. We have checked in with our Storm Trysail and Storm Jib. Now it is time to ping the line and get our game on.

The forecast for a seabreeze from the SW was wrong (so far) it is blowing from the SE so for now we will carry a spinnaker out of the Solent. Eventually this breeze will transition to a SW breeze and we will be beating to Fastnet. I guess we will enjoy the spinnaker ride as long as it lasts.

Always surprises me the amount of volvo and vendee guys sailing again so soon after their respective races, I sure as fuck couldn't be arsed.

Maybe they don't get paid as much as we all thought.

Always surprises me the amount of volvo and vendee guys sailing again so soon after their respective races, I sure as fuck couldn't be arsed.

Maybe they don't get paid as much as we all thought.

i think it more like take the work when they can get it. after all its only a few days on the boats they are racing on

Rosebud is one hour from the start. We have checked in with our Storm Trysail and Storm Jib. Now it is time to ping the line and get our game on.

The forecast for a seabreeze from the SW was wrong (so far) it is blowing from the SE so for now we will carry a spinnaker out of the Solent. Eventually this breeze will transition to a SW breeze and we will be beating to Fastnet. I guess we will enjoy the spinnaker ride as long as it lasts.

At 2200UTC the tracker has Ran running away at almost 11 knots, while our boys are 35^ off rhumb doing 6.6 knots. AND there is still a LOT of course to be played!

Fourteen boats were on our start line and we started the race at the leeward end of the line in good position with the rest our fleet. We were pulling bearing on Luna Rossa (who started at the weather end of our line) for the first 5 minutes after the start when we decided to gybe away to what we thought we be better pressure and let us escape the power boat wake from the boats chasing RAN.

What a mistake that gybe was. We found ourselves caught between the two different breeze directions and our competition sailing away from us. The run out the Solent turned into a beat for the last 2 miles to the Needles and our rhythm did not improve. In short, we were terrible getting out of the Solent.

We cleared the Solent about two hours after the start and our position improved… for awhile. We worked our way about 2 miles offshore and hooked into a bit more pressure and probably about 15 degrees more port tack lift. This allowed us to get West and to set ourselves up for the gradient pressure coming in 8 hours is key so were happy to take this gain. But we failed to consolidate the gain and instead worked our way further off shore

We are also happy to work our way offshore as the current was starting to shift against us and in about 2 hours and the boats on shore will definitely have more adverse current. Fourteen boats were on our start line and we started the race at the leeward end of the line in good position with the rest our fleet. We were pulling bearing on Luna Rossa (who started at the weather end of our line) for the first 5 minutes after the start when we decided to gybe away to what we thought we be better pressure and let us escape the power boat wake from the boats chasing RAN.

What a mistake that gybe was. We found ourselves caught between the two different breeze directions and our competition sailing away from us. The run out the Solent turned into a beat for the last 2 miles to the Needles and our rhythm did not improve. In short, we were DFL out of the Solent.

We cleared the Solent about two hours ago and a position has improved. We have been able to work our way about 2 miles offshore and hook into a bit more pressure and probably about 15 degrees more port tack lift. Getting West to set ourselves up for the gradient pressure coming in 8 hours is key so we are happy to take this gain. We are also happy to work our way offshore as the current was start shifting against ands in about 2 hours and the boats on shore will definitely have more adverse current

Well, that was our plan and our plan sucked. The rich got richer inshore and those of us that were off shore just had to sit and watch for two painful hours as they sailed away from us. At least the bleeding has stopped (for now). We do expect a significant port tack header in the next 5 hours so possibly that will work to our benefit and we can reduce our losses.

It is 2:00 in the morning and time to go to bed….

Malcolm … Out

Rosebud / Team DYT

Thanks Malcolm, as always, for keeping the anarchists informed. Best of luck from all of us, and Mer just sent a big kiss to your crew, and said "Sail faster!"

Would rather hear about the J105 double hander

J105 Voador is leading the 2-handed class - (winner of 2007 2-handed Fastnet, owner was 2nd in 2001 mini-transat)

Prior thread - The Rock

Looking at the tracker it's high stress racing - light airs and fleet at second of the big tidal gates (Portland, Start Point, Lizard) - huge gains and losses possible for the small/mdeium boats. Heard it said race can be won with astute kedging in situations like this.

Looking at the tracker it's high stress racing - light airs and fleet at second of the big tidal gates (Portland, Start Point, Lizard) - huge gains and losses possible for the small/mdeium boats. Heard it said race can be won with astute kedging in situations like this.

Scratch that (bollix)- seen the boat speeds and there is a decent enough breeze

Live land based wind observations here - forecasts by hovering over the arrows

Wind Guru here

It has been a bit too rough to type for the past 10 hours but now that we have rounded the Lizard, things have smoothed out a bit although we are still beating in 15 knots of breeze…. And will be for another 22 hours. Prior to that it has been rain, fog and some nice slamming.

It is obvious that we messed up the first 10 hours of the race. It is disappointing because in those light air conditions we should have been competitive against RAN and Luna Rossa. Now we will be beating in 15 – 20 knots of wind with very few tactical options so it will be difficult to make any gains for the next 20 hours. For now, all we can do is hope to hold on to the leaders and wait for other opportunities.

All else is well on our boat. We have no breakages to report only a few guy’s that are questioning the logic of taking our boat in this race vs. a nice downwind ride to Hawaii… It is hard to come up with an argument for that…

Once interesting bit is that as we pass Land’s End, there are people sun bathing on the beach. I guess since it is not raining, it is considered nice weather in these parts.

That’s enough typing for now…..

Malcolm … Out,

Rosebud / Team DYT

anybody got any news from the racecourse?

considering how much cover sydney - hobart and newport - bermuda get on here I am surprised by how little chat about this the other classic offshore gets

It has been a bit too rough to type for the past 10 hours but now that we have rounded the Lizard, things have smoothed out a bit although we are still beating in 15 knots of breeze…. And will be for another 22 hours. Prior to that it has been rain, fog and some nice slamming.

It is obvious that we messed up the first 10 hours of the race. It is disappointing because in those light air conditions we should have been competitive against RAN and Luna Rossa. Now we will be beating in 15 – 20 knots of wind with very few tactical options so it will be difficult to make any gains for the next 20 hours. For now, all we can do is hope to hold on to the leaders and wait for other opportunities.

All else is well on our boat. We have no breakages to report only a few guy's that are questioning the logic of taking our boat in this race vs. a nice downwind ride to Hawaii… It is hard to come up with an argument for that…

Once interesting bit is that as we pass Land's End, there are people sun bathing on the beach. I guess since it is not raining, it is considered nice weather in these parts.

That's enough typing for now…..

Malcolm … Out,

Rosebud / Team DYT

Com'on guys, cut the corner and git within spitting distance to run Ran2 down! :P

considering how much cover sydney - hobart and newport - bermuda get on here I am surprised by how little chat about this the other classic offshore gets

Did ya think the race website might have something? http://fastnet.rorc.org/

Claw 'em back in, Malcom. Thanks for the updates!

Did ya think the race website might have something? http://fastnet.rorc.org/

of course, and ive been looking at it, just hoping for a little more info and discussion here.

We have rounded Fastnet rock. During the past 24 hours of beating there has been some joking from the seven crew (including myself) that live in California and who have never participated in the Fastnet Race before, that this race is a bit like starting a race in Marina Del Rey, rounding Point Conception (Land’s End) and then beating to the Farallon Islands. Do you think we could get 300 West Coast boats to participate in such a race? I don’t think so.

Well now that I have been to Fastnet Rock, I can understand the allure. It is no Farallon Island. We rounded the rock at about 0930 local time and were greeted by a photo helicopter that followed us for about 15 as we rounded the light house. There were also a few photo boats out there to capture the moment. I will hang that photo on wall next to the picture of us approaching Tasmania in the Hobart Race. This was definitely something to remember.

As for the racing, we had a good night. Jules Salter did a great job of calling two long term shifts and we pretty much nailed both of them. The result is that we closed on all the leaders and rounded the about 14 minutes behind Luna Rossa.

There is a great deal of race course left but it sure has helped our spirits on board to feel like we are back in this race. For now, I am going to enjoy an off watch with A2 spinnaker up with nice level sleeping.

Malcolm … Out, Rosebud / Team DYT

Congrats for pulling them back in. Keep the heat on.

We are about 30 miles from Bishop rock and catching the boats in front of us who have sailed into the back of a warm front. In about 4 hours we will be at Bishop rock which is about the time the current will turn against us. So, we are about to enter into a new race. A race against the tide and a search for wind. It should make for an interesting night.

Malcolm... Standing by.

Rosebud/ Team DYT

We are about 30 miles from Bishop rock and catching the boats in front of us who have sailed into the back of a warm front. In about 4 hours we will be at Bishop rock which is about the time the current will turn against us. So, we are about to enter into a new race. A race against the tide and a search for wind. It should make for an interesting night.

Malcolm... Standing by.

Rosebud/ Team DYT

Sweet, reel em' in Guys!!

Go the Bud! B)

The glory boys are in but there are a lot of boat still out there, some of the smaller/slower boats haven't rounded the rock yet, anachist Alex W on Berimilla still has a way to run. First 2-hander just round Bishop Rock so about 80 miles to go.

I remember it's from there you start trying to calculate your arrival time for first beer/decent food ! In 2005 we had snacks only left for the last 50 miles, this race is slower !

currently sat with no wind just south of the Sillys (I use that spelling on purpose).

Very frustrating race and with almost no wind now I suspect quite a few hungry people.

Good race to remind you of the delights of inshore racing where you can retire to the bar.

Jumunu

Actually the crew can tell quite a few stories about the electirc toilet (which I think is coming off).

Not a short waterline downwind boat race. Still very disapointed with the result after last time.

Me, I used a Bucket!! :rolleyes:

All to do with th ebucket swinging around down below before going over the side.

Electric toilet was taken appart a couple of times.

Hey Ceeagr, what do you use for internet connection on the boat when offshore, or are you running off a lucky mobile phone connection being near the sillys? an have you finished yet?

Use a Vodafone (the best coverage from experiance) sim in a USB modem. Attached to a 5m SB cable which we can hold at head height on deck.

You get connection along the south coast, at the scillys and at the rock although only briefly.

Tempted to look at a sat phone for any future offshore.

Use a Vodafone (the best coverage from experiance) sim in a USB modem. Attached to a 5m SB cable which we can hold at head height on deck.

You get connection along the south coast, at the scillys and at the rock although only briefly.

Thought so, I'm guessing SB cable is a typo? meaning USB, also how much would a sat phone set up be? I thought they were still up in the serious moolah market..

Thought so, I'm guessing SB cable is a typo? meaning USB, also how much would a sat phone set up be? I thought they were still up in the serious moolah market..

Few years ago I had one of the irst generation iridium phones which I used for work calls from the BVI's during a holiday. Set me back about £600. Not sure what the options are now.

Phones can be rented cheaply - airtime is quite expensive. In fact the phone part can be less these days that the routing software. You can go for free GRIB file readers but if you've made the effort to get the Sat conenction you are probably into the routing software too. Plus of course you need a disposable laptop as they generally die ! There are lots of threads on this here.

For a Fastnet or Channel racing most boats go with a standard mobile phone setup or nothing at all.