Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

After The Sabbath

I saw on the US moth website that Kevin Hall put his bladerider up for sale yesterday. I wonder if he is getting a Mach 2?

You know he fast when he can win the race AND read SA...

27 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)

18 Members: jgreat2, easywind, J24Soup, gary, Nicosail1218, siggs2000, usa-12, Knee Deep-N-Cider, Mr. Squirrel, bgulari, Enterprising, willis, Sail_FAU, doesitfloat, SailDry, xfire, J Buoy, WarPig

MS

You know he fast when he can win the race AND read SA...

27 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)

18 Members: jgreat2, easywind, J24Soup, gary, Nicosail1218, siggs2000, usa-12, Knee Deep-N-Cider, Mr. Squirrel, bgulari, Enterprising, willis, Sail_FAU, doesitfloat, SailDry, xfire, J Buoy, WarPig

MS

i saw that too.

WestCoast,

Who is doing the Live Text Commentary on the Worlds site? Whoever it is make sure they know we think he/she is doing a fantastic job.

I love Clean's multimedia extravaganza, but for instant gratification the text commentary is great

MS

So the real question I have is - short of dropping 15k for my own, how do I get a ride on one of these things. I am hooked and I have never sailed one in my life. With coverage like this they sell themselves, except I just bought a house so no new boats for me :(

MS

So the real question I have is - short of dropping 15k for my own, how do I get a ride on one of these things. I am hooked and I have never sailed one in my life. With coverage like this they sell themselves, except I just bought a house so no new boats for me :(

MS

+1 (and just had kid #2)

There is a Devin Bader USA 3589

MS

thanks, i had checked the results and must have missed his name. bummer his rig is shot.

glad it's not k.hall

sell the house and buy a moth, it's that simple! you can turn the boat upside down and sleep under it like a tent.

Nice!

...and apparently a skateboard is all you need to tow it around!

Bora has two! The blade rider, I think is for sale or for guys like to to take out so he can really screw us up.

# boats are lit up off the line. 15+ now at the top 2 minutes ago

# boats working the puffs over to washington, making a beeline for max pressure! about a minute ago

So when is max pressure actually not faster? ever? From anyone there any guesses how fast they are going? Bora did 25.3 and they were saying there wasnt as much breeze. I would love to know what they are doing today...

MS

Yea, I want to know also! Can't imagine how fast they must be going!!, and I too WILL have one soon, 20 is just not fast enough any more!(on my MX,like in the avatar pic)

Havent seen or heard... Is Simon able to sail today? Cant believe he can do that to his knee and still sail.

"You look like a fucking terrorist" CLASSIC!!

MS

SIMON is raging fast! second place right now in second race, Arnaud FLYING!

Nathan, then mabye Bora, they are coming to top mark. HD video will be great to watch in a bit, will get it to you as soon as racing is over!

# boats are lit up off the line. 15+ now at the top 2 minutes ago

# boats working the puffs over to washington, making a beeline for max pressure! about a minute ago

So when is max pressure actually not faster? ever? From anyone there any guesses how fast they are going? Bora did 25.3 and they were saying there wasnt as much breeze. I would love to know what they are doing today...

MS

Max pressure is not favored against pressure that is the result of adverse current, unless you gain more speed over the ground from the pressure increase than amount of the adverse current. Moths may do that downwind in moderate air, but probably not upwind.

In ten knots downwind against 4 knots of current, Moths may sail better VMG in the bad current! DogZilla assumedly would have better vmg in the adverse current.

And to answer the other....

# Simon Payne in first! injured and all less than a minute ago

I was mostly wondering at what point (pressure wise) do they start getting blown over or actually having to depower and/or slow down?

MS

Arnaud flubs a tack at the top mark and Simon Payne takes the lead! Arnaud recovers to round ahead of Bora, and they're headed down..

Easily hitting 23 or so on the Z course. W/L probably 20-23 max speed depending on puff. The difference between lull speed and puff speed is ridiculous. Feet in the straps or you are gone over the back.

Simon Wins it!

This is really amazing stuff. I am just astonished by what you all guys are doing. The kids and not so kids batling on the water with those hell machines (I would like to see what any of us would be able to do riding one) and you media reporters keeping the rest of the world aware of what is happening in a place where internet is almost non existent. Simplhy amazing. Keep up the good work! You are doing history right there, right now.

P.

Bummer for Team BYC...

# george peet on the beach - another wing bar failure. we've seen a few of these this week. guys are hiking too hard perhaps?! 2 minutes ago

MS

Call me a tard but I cant find the streaming video feed, where is it???

I am about to go into extreme moth withdrawl. :wacko:

Rolfe, we have no streaming feed today! Sorry about that, but hang in there for just an hour. Final race is almost started and we will have all three races up within an hour of its finish. AND YES WE WILL HAVE LIVE VIDEO TOMORROW!

How do we get the "older" live text back so we can see what happened before it went off the page? Sorry for being a twerp but just back to my desk...

Rolfe, we have no streaming feed today! Sorry about that, but hang in there for just an hour. Final race is almost started and we will have all three races up within an hour of its finish. AND YES WE WILL HAVE LIVE VIDEO TOMORROW!

Glad to know you found a workaround for live video! ... and by the way, those videos for today better be good! We know what you are capable of and we enjoy every byte you upload! Cheers up for all the team:Clean, Mer and Nige.

P.

SimonS,

Race 1 - Bora, Arnaud, Nathan

Race 2 - Simon, Arnaud, Bora - still waiting to hear where Nathan finished

MS

Thanks Clean - I answered my own question by going to Twitter and scrolling thru the old Tweets to find out what happened earlier. It seems that once they hit the bottom of the page on the Live Text page at the Moth World Champs site the old text updates disappear... Go Bora!

SimonS,

Race 1 - Bora, Arnaud, Nathan

Race 2 - Simon, Arnaud, Bora - still waiting to hear where Nathan finished

MS

Thanks Clean - I answered my own question by going to Twitter and scrolling thru the old Tweets to find out what happened earlier. It seems that once they hit the bottom of the page on the Live Text page at the Moth World Champs site the old text updates disappear... Go Bora!

Sorry meant thanks MS - hopefully Clean is too busy making videos to be posting here...

MS _ I think he was 6th in the second race and 2nd or 3rd in the last race today

unofficial, radio is going off in my ear and I'm staring at the hand written score sheet.

we will know very soon, RC is fully ontop of it

And I also thank you, as all do, just outstanding coverage, can't wait 'till manana, going to be epic!,now maybe I can get some work done.

just wondering - for the record, I've gone to the beach at cascade locks at 1:30 and didn't go back out - it was a fleet mutiny

edit - sniped by Nige...

Results posted on the worlds site.... http://www.mothworlds2009.org/2009CSTMothWorlds1.13.htm

Rank Nat SailNo HelmName R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 R8 R9 R10 R11 R12 R13 CrewName Total Nett

1st USA 3281 Bora Gulari (6.0) 2.0 1.0 3.0 (11.0) 1.0 1.0 2.0 1.0 4.0 1.0 5.0 1.0 39.0 22.0

2nd AUS 3456 Nathan Outteridge 3.0 1.0 3.0 1.0 4.0 2.0 2.0 (6.0) (42.0 DNF) 1.0 3.0 6.0 3.0 77.0 29.0

3rd SUI 3387 Arnaud Psarofaghis (4.0) 4.0 (6.0) 4.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 4.0 3.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 4.0 44.0 34.0

4th USA 3391 Dalton Bergan 1.0 3.0 (7.0) 2.0 6.0 (7.0) 4.0 5.0 2.0 6.0 4.0 4.0 5.0 56.0 42.0

5th GBR 3381 Simon Payne 2.0 5.0 2.0 7.0 1.0 6.0 6.0 10.0 (11.0) (39.0 DNF) 7.0 1.0 8.0 105.0 55.0

6th AUS 3455 Rohan Veal 5.0 6.0 4.0 6.0 (9.0) 4.0 5.0 8.0 5.0 7.0 8.0 (9.0) 6.0 82.0 64.0

7th USA 3451 Brad Funk (22.0) 12.0 8.0 10.0 14.0 8.0 8.0 3.0 (39.0) 5.0 5.0 7.0 9.0 150.0 89.0

8th AUS 3383 Scott Babbage 7.0 44.0 DNF 5.0 5.0 2.0 5.0 7.0 1.0 (50.0 DNC) (50.0 DNC) 9.0 3.0 2.0 190.0 90.0

9th AUS 3457 Rob Gough (12.0) 10.0 11.0 8.0 10.0 (13.0) 12.0 9.0 4.0 3.0 6.0 10.0 7.0 115.0 90.0

10th USA 3450 Charlie McKee 11.0 9.0 13.0 11.0 7.0 12.0 (14.0) 12.0 8.0 9.0 10.0 (15.0) 12.0 143.0 114.0

looks to me that if bora gets a 3rd or better first race he can come in.

also looks like young matt nobel is on the steep part of the learning curve - go matt

Assuming Nathan gets two bullets, 3rd is not good enough for Bora as Nathan would win on count back (better number of 3rd places)

Easier option is to obviously start close and shepherd him. Hard option is in the last minute before start when they all sit on starboard before their run in is to hook in to leeward and hold him high so he cannot accelerate and so drop him back at the start.

My guess is he will sail his own race (keeping an eye on Nathan) and not try anything too smart in the first race If Nathan wins and Bora is 3rd or lower then the fun begins.

Interesting coverage fact of the day:

The biggest danger from the spectator and media boats is not their wakes. It's the turbulence of their prop wash. The wash keeps the water tumbling for minutes after the RIB or whatever has come through, and that tumbling water can literally just knock people over when a foil hits it and reduces lift catastrophically.

Absolutley ... there was a complete dickhead on our club course once who was following his kids boat, and he hit full throttle when he under judged my speed behind him. It was like riding a bull for the next 30 seconds in the full-throttle prop wash.

Assuming Nathan gets two bullets, 3rd is not good enough for Bora as Nathan would win on count back (better number of 3rd places)

dunno about that - bora currently has 6 bullets, nathan currently has 3 bullets - two wins tomorrow only gives nathan 5 bullets

Please note:If the videos are not yet available, it is just because YouTube is processing them. They will be up shortly, and the quality will increase substantially 20 minutes later when the processing is fully complete.

Race 11, Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Race 13 Part 1:

Race 13 Part 2:

Race 13 Part 3:

Race 13 Part 4:

Race 13 Part 5:

Dalton Bergan. Way cool dude.

Amazing performance from Si Payne today with his blown out knee. Really special stuff. Listen:

You've likely noticed that I've stayed away from Bora for my interviews - he just doesn't need the extra stress right now. But he had an emotional word for all his friends back homes and for his SA fans:

And with that, we will retire. Pizza, perhaps? A few beers? At least.

Remember that we are really, truly (hopefully) going to be 100% live tomorrow morning at around 1000 PST. So if you have some time, please come and check it out. After racing, I'll be turning the archived live stream into clips and embedding them here.

Thanks again for tuning in, and please do us a favor and check out our sponsors' websites to show them that you appreciate their support.

http://www.mach2boats.com

http://www.pointlomaoutfitting.com

http://www.cityofstevenson.com

http://www.saw.net

And go to the official website to keep their traffic rolling at mothworlds2009.org and to www.cgra.org

Cheers!

Michelle's official press release:

Day 4 Press Release/Report

Gulari Maintains Lead

Day 4, 2009 CST Composites Moth World Championships

Conditions were cold and very cloudy, with an extremely shifty breeze that favored the right side for most of Day 4 of the CST Composites Moth Worlds, held at Cascade Locks, Oregon. Racing got underway around 11am in flat water and about 15 knots. The wind stayed in the 15-18 range for most of the morning, building for the third race, with the breeze always a bit heavier at the bottom end of the course. Mixing it up for Day 4, the sailors raced the first race on a Z course.

Day 4 Top Ten Finishers: Bora Gulari (USA) 22 points, Nathan Outteridge (AUS) 29 points, Arnaud Psarofaghis (SUI) 34 points, Dalton Bergan (USA) 42 points, Simon Payne (GBR) 55 points, Rohan Veal (AUS) 64 points, Brad Funk (USA) 89 points, Scott Babbage (AUS) 90 points, Rob Gough (AUS) 90 points, and Charlie Mckee (USA) 114 points. (Note: 13 races sailed to date, with two discards)

Today’s racing set up for an exciting final day, with no change in position for the top five. All eyes will be closely watching 20-year old Arnaud,Psarofaghi, just six points behind Outteridge. Given that, daily, he’s been picking up the pace, sailing extremely consistently, his speed downwind up there with Gulari’s, a second could just be his tomorrow.

Outteridge wasn’t on his usual consistent form, “I was having bad tacks,” he said. “In the last race I capsized on the first beat. I was still sailing the right direction, I just couldn’t execute as well as I have been in the last few days. It was a bit frustrating.”

Picking up some sage advice from Charlie McKee, Gulari knows that focusing on his own game and having confidence that he can make the right calls will be his focus for tomorrow. “I’m going with the flow, just doing what Charlie told me to do - sail the keepers and just cruise. There’s no tactics in this for me, I’m just going out and doing what I do.”

Simon Payne got back out on the water today, with a full-on knee brace after a hospital visit yesterday for his injured knee. In a sport that demands physical agility, it was great to see 45-year old Payne not only get back out there, but take a first and keep his top five position in the fleet. Meanwhile, fatigue is creeping into the ranks, the fleet feeling the physical pressure of staying hard at it these past few weeks, so those in top shape will be well positioned for good results come Saturday.

NOTES FROM THE BOATS

Arnaud Psarofaghis (SUI)

In the first race, just after the start I tacked pretty early, just after Bora. We went on the right side as the wind was going right. We got a really nice shift and I came back on the left with a nice breeze to go back to the right. I turned the top mark first just in front of Bora and he overtook me on the downwind. On the second upwind, I went on the left and then on the right before him so I could get the shift so I could round the top mark first again, then on the last downwind Bora was just slightly faster and passed me again. It was really tight between the two of us, and really exciting when he was chasing me. I think Bora’s the fastest downwind, I think he has a really good technique downwind, he’s clearly faster than everyone. I did some really nice tacks today, except on the second race I was leading and I did three really bad tacks because I tacked just under the lay-line and Simon passed me there and I couldn’t get him back. It’ll be really hard to take to t6 points from Nathan tomorrow because he’s really consistent but I will try to stay in third place and try for second if it’s possible.

Bora Gulari (USA)

This morning Charlie told me just to have confidence in myself and my decisions and I did, and a couple of times it worked out. I had faith in myself when I had leverage on Nathan a couple of times – he’s so smart and he’s so good. I see him split from me and in the back of my mind I’m thinking, “Does he have it right, or do I have it right?” I remember at least a few times when I looked down and told myself, “I feel good about what I’m doing here.” There was one time in the last race today where I was third around the leeward mark, with Nathan leading followed by Scott. I looked up the course and thought, “I’m tacking out right now, we’re already massively headed and I want to get on this lift.” On the runs, I just like to run away, get away from everyone as fast as possible, that’s if I’m not chasing Nathan. I had much better tacks today. It’s not thinking about it, but just doing it. The breeze was good although I was a little worried it was a little strong at the end of the second race. I throttled back, I think I was in 5th and Nathan was behind me. I felt like I needed to keep putting points up and be ultra aggressive. Dalton was next to me and I’m watching his front foil ventilate and he’s hopping through waves, Scott was pushing really hard, Rohan and Simon were hauling butt, and I was thinking, “I don’t need to break the boat right now.”

Dalton Bergan (USA)

I still haven’t got it all figured out – it’s tricky when it’s overcast like this – it seemed like there was more rightie than normal. We usually play the Oregon shore a little more but the right was working better today which was a challenge but the right side does also have the favorable current. I was really close to Nathan a few times but not quite there. Sometimes I think I’m going just as fast, if not faster, I just don’t seem to consistently have the boat speed. Bora’s definitely got better tacks than the rest of us and that’s definitely helping him. I don’t think I’m sailing as smart as I could be. On the last race going into the first beat Nathan and I were basically one and two, but I felt like as the regatta comes to a close I felt like I needed to take a little gamble so I hitched back left. I wasn’t really keeping up with him as he was going a little faster and that killed me, put me back to about 10th or 12th. I haven’t used any big throw-outs yet so I’m looking to start taking some risks. I need some wins basically to have any shot so was trying to gamble a little harder today, but funnily enough my gambles today didn’t seem to change my results!

Nathan Outteridge (AUS)

I got a 3, 6, 3, which is okay but Bora obviously got much better results so the distance is a lot bigger than it was at the beginning of the day, which wasn’t the plan but I just wasn’t sailing very well. I think the body just starts getting tired after sailing for so long. The boat’s okay, boat speed is okay, I think a few guys are starting to work it out downwind a little bit, Bora’s definitely the fastest and today for the first time Scott went past him downwind so he’d obviously worked out what to do. It’s frustrating when people go past you through speed but you just have to keep working on it and find away to get it back.

Simon Payne (GRB)

I’ve torn cartilage and there’s ligament damage in my knee, but I went out again today as I thought I couldn’t do anymore damage so as long as I took enough pain killers…and I didn’t have much else to do! I was alright in the first race, which was encouraging because it was breezy again and being light and hiking with one leg, well…I had a great second race and won that. I got a good start, I found some speed and was trying to minimize my tacks and just stayed to windward of the group and went around the top mark in 4th or 5th. I’ve been getting faster and faster downwind and I think I went around the next windward mark second and got on the run to the finish. My strategy downwind was just, don’t blow this, just stay in the flat water, if you don’t win this race that’s fine, but just get a good result. Fortunately the breeze was on that side and I screamed through and that was that. Life’s a lot easier when you’re in the top five. In the last race, it was nothing to do with my leg, I was stupid and stacked it on the last run trying to sneak inside Rohan and Rob Gough. I’m kind of reaching Rohan right now and am just so pleased that Arnaud’s made great gains, he’s a great sailor, he’s young, very natural. He’s going really fast, he’s in a Mach 2 and I think the Mach 2s have a little bit of an edge. So, great day, I’m really happy with things, and sometimes racing’s just fun, right?

Morgan Larson (USA)

It’s been a wild ride for me. I’m really enjoying the Moth. I’ve got my boat almost a year ago but I haven’t really put that much time into it. This has been a great spot for the event. I think Cascade Locks has a lot to offer to a lot of fleets and classes. It’s the perfect venue for the Moth and it’s been a big learning curve for me. I’m having fun but today was a little frustrating for me as my foil wasn’t working right. These boats have a lot going on. Bora’s got a nice lead now and is sailing the boat really well. If there’s anybody who could beat him it would be Nathan just because he’s so skilled and such a good sailor with some World Championship wins so he knows what it takes. I think this is Bora’s first (World event), so I am sure he’s got that wondering in the back of his head, “How can I not screw this up?”

Brad Funk (USA)

Today wasn’t as good as yesterday. I had decent starts but maybe I didn’t de-power enough – I felt like I was getting thrown around a lot in the shifts and puffs. It was more challenging for me dealing with that. I was a little off, probably a little tired, and having to make decisions when you’re like that the boat handling starts to slip. Definitely if your tack slips more you lose heaps on the front group. My starts seem to be okay but after that I seem to start making mistakes and they start reaching by me again.

Rohan Veal (AUS)

I still can’t find this leak in my boat. I had to go ashore to drain the water out and at least five or six liters came out. That wasn’t helping me in the first two races. In the second race I thought I’d do something stupid and start on port and cross the fleet. I played the shifts really well and was going much quicker and got a really nice shift out to the right. Rob Gough and I paid off well on that. Then Scott, Nathan, myself and Rob – 4 Aussies – all rounded in the top 4, then it was a game of trying to find the right pressure downwind and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don’t. I did okay in that race and it seems I couldn’t have done much better than that with what I had so I was reasonably happy with it. The competition is very good and there’s just no room for error at all. You just drop so many places if you make a small mistake. We’re really happy with the way Nathan is going on his Bladerider – he’s certainly not slow against Bora who is a little bit quicker but also a bit heavier – anything could still happen on the last day. Should be good racing.

###

Competitors and organizers would like to thank volunteers and sponsors of the CST Composite 2009 Moth World Championship. Stay tuned for daily reports. For schedule, competitors, results, and images, visit: http://www.mothworlds2009.org. Contact Nigel Oswald, event chairman, on +1-415-370-5755. Report by Michelle Slade, michelle@sladecommunications.com, ph. 415- 215-1521

One more request for the guys who are sailing here, many of whom are reading this:

If you feel like sharing your experience on video, just grab me on the beach or wherever. I run around grabbing mostly the people I know because i only have so much time, but everyone's got a story, so share yours.

Awesome coverage & commentary.....you's a pro!!! Fantastic fleet & it looks sooooooo mmmmuch fun along with outstanding sailors to make it the total package. Seeing these sailors having so much fun makes it hard to think about $ for the next AC ;(

Go Bora Go!!!!

A great vid from T2P.tv (Friday. Thursday is good too but I prefer friday)

http://www.t2p.tv/guide/fullviewers/mw092.php

Some good racing footage as well as some great stacks. Star performers of the latter, in no particular order - Morgan Larson, Andrew Friend and Mark Robinson.

I think Mark at the first gybe of the Z course is the winner??

Some good footage, but edited by a reject from the 80's porn industry, judging from the soundtrack. I think T2P and Jobson buy their muzak from the same source. I'm always amazed when people actually release shit

I think it's kind of ironic that, with all the media folks here, that the best video of the event was shot for free, by guys who are doing it for fun. No cheesy porn music, no compression lines, and those free folks will be back out today to shoot more. Great stuff, shame that T2P couldn't even step up to Shortt Supply's challenge.

Confirmed that Bora needs only a 3 in the first race to be done. We'll be watching, fully live.

HERE.

Fabulous interviews!, can't wait for todays races and more excellent coverage, thx to all involved, you'll all get my bussiness!

Up today:

LIVE STREAMING VIDEO ALL DAY

MUSIC

SAME GREAT PICS

AND SO ON

Stay tuned, and check out:

The first half of the event coverage

The official website

The unofficial thread

And please be sure to check out Mach 2's website for more about this awesome little beast. Also Point Loma Outfitting has been making OTW Anarchy's live reports possible for two years now, and we appreciate it hugely. If you do to, go and buy something, and let Tom know we sent you.

Here's that great interview with West Coast sailing legend Bill Buchan. I could talk to this guy for a week.

Alan, thank you for the Bill Buchan interview. Great stuff!

Bill

Some good footage, but edited by a reject from the 80's porn industry, judging from the soundtrack. I think T2P and Jobson buy their muzak from the same source. I'm always amazed when people actually release shit

I think it's kind of ironic that, with all the media folks here, that the best video of the event was shot for free, by guys who are doing it for fun. No cheesy porn music, no compression lines, and those free folks will be back out today to shoot more. Great stuff, shame that T2P couldn't even step up to Shortt Supply's challenge.

Confirmed that Bora needs only a 3 in the first race to be done. We'll be watching, fully live.

HERE.

No need to shit on everything else Clean. I liked it but maybe I havent watched enough 70's porn.

The fact that the Shorttsupply guys did a phenomenal job is not a reason to trash the others. T2p are throwing stuff up daily and will have an edited piece next week, will see what that is like but I am happy with what they are doing so far. (we will also have the full high res to download soon)

Thanks for doing a great job with OWA too, looking forward to seeing how today goes!

HERE.

No need to shit on everything else Clean. I liked it but maybe I havent watched enough 70's porn.

The fact that the Shorttsupply guys did a phenomenal job is not a reason to trash the others. T2p are throwing stuff up daily and will have an edited piece next week, will see what that is like but I am happy with what they are doing so far. (we will also have the full high res to download soon)

Thanks for doing a great job with OWA too, looking forward to seeing how today goes!

Everyone's got an opinion, Nige - and my job is to speak mine. The fact that Shorttsupply was able to do such a great job in such a short time for no money is EXACTLY the reason to trash the others, especially those that hold themselves out as "the best."

Maybe T2P will come up with a spectacular after-event video and if they do, I will certainly say so. But the bar has been raised in the past couple of years, and it's T2P's job to keep up, which they have not done.

Good Luck,Bora! Great coverage Clean ect....