Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gouvernail

Canada Or Bust...Texas Hillbillies with Olson 30 and Lasers

What's our MPG gonna be??  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles per gallon?

• none of the above
  2. 2. How many miles per gallon?

3. 3. How many days to Halifax?

• Arrive Tuesday
    • Arrive Wednesday
    • Arrive Thursday
    • Arrive Friday
    • Not gonna make it

4 PM saturday August 8....We're off to teh Laser masters Worlds!!! One more boat will go on the roof in Dallas....On our Thule racks thatat ar not mounted yet..I sure hope they fit.

There is a double deck trailer on the tongue but the front "rectangle" on the double decker was too high to fit under the Olson.. so we mounted a cross beam between the front poles and only used the back Laser trailer rack

Thne laser trailer's wheels and axles are in the pickup

Spars are in the taller longer boat

Anybody want to guess our MPG before we go?? The truck has a 6000 cc engine and everything Chevy sells in the way of towing gear.

You be late Gouv, August 8th passed a longgg time ago. Better hit the road right about now

I like Gouv's clock.

August 8th was a GOOD day.

You be late Gouv, August 8th passed a longgg time ago. Better hit the road right about now

I find changing the date in my computer is an effective way of dealing with this. Same with the time (re: late for an appointment).

Fred is never late "it takes time for perfection"

So excited about this. If they don't keep ya'll posted I will. They have 3 very happy and thankful guys in Halifax awaiting their arrival.

Now I remember, the Olson is the boat Gouv is delivering to the new owner. I remember a "Thank You" thread about how he made this happen for the new owner.

Nice job, Gouv.

Now I remember, the Olson is the boat Gouv is delivering to the new owner. I remember a "Thank You" thread about how he made this happen for the new owner.

Nice job, Gouv.

I wish I knew more about the story behind the Olson. I drove by Freds shop the other day and glanced at it. I thought it was a Hobbie 33.

Just got a note from the guys and it's been eventful so far. One of the trailer tires threw a tread just outside of Waco so the guys had to move to the spare. I guess it took out one of the break lines as well which makes me slightly nervous.

The task this morning is to find a tire shop to get the tires looked after. Fingers crossed that the only hang up has just happened.

They just called. Two new tires on the trailer and one perfect spare. Brakes are fixed and they are hitting the road. They only made 200 miles yesterday but I gather it was a bit hectic trying to leave.

This is quite an adventure these guys are embarking on and they have a hero's welcome awaiting them in Nova Scotia.

Do you think they like lobster??

Wouldn't it just be a lot easier to tow Nova Scotia down to the Gulf?

Really, sometimes you guys don't seem to think this shit out very well...........

Nice job, Gouv.

I wish I knew more about the story behind the Olson. I drove by Freds shop the other day and glanced at it. I thought it was a Hobbie 33.

the olson was jeff and pappa jack progelhoff's here at rush creek y.c.

the boat is in verry good condition and, hate to see it move away, the new owners will

be recieving a truly good olson that was well maintained.

skiles

Hey Jonny! Where's home going to be for the Olson?

It will have to live in Chester for this season but I plan on doing every series race in HFX from the time it arrives to the end of Oct.

Prices of clubs in HRM are way to steep for us at this point so we'll keep it in Chester at a family mooring and trailer it to HFX for races. We've got access to a mooring in the arm for when we're up in town racing.

You'll have to come for a ride.

Nice job, Gouv.

Here ya go.

It will have to live in Chester for this season but I plan on doing every series race in HFX from the time it arrives to the end of Oct.

Prices of clubs in HRM are way to steep for us at this point so we'll keep it in Chester at a family mooring and trailer it to HFX for races. We've got access to a mooring in the arm for when we're up in town racing.

You'll have to come for a ride.

Sweet! Can't wait!

The Laser Seniors were last week, Masters are... this week? (A couple of guys are heading east from Ottawa...)

It's a long trip, but I hear there's wind this weekend! Thanks, Bill!

Cheers,

Really, sometimes you guys don't seem to think this shit out very well...........

Sometimes I like the way you think Boothy

We're talking about Gouvernail here... I imagine there could be quite a few more "tire blow-outs" before NS

post-22901-1251113453_thumb.jpg

OK...We are in Nashville....Actually past it.

Yesterday we had tread number two rip off and changed to our mounted spare but we had to find somebody who could mount the bare tire we bought outside dallas sunday morning...

We learned there is a guy at the exit in Palistine Arkansas who has perhaps the rattiest metal building with 500 plus brand new tires inside a person might ever find. There is a restaurant on the back of the tire place...or the tire place is on the front of the restaurant...

anyway...at 7pm Sunday night...nobody was ther at teh tire place so Bill went to teh restaurant to see what they knew in ther.

"I already called Grampma. He will be here in about 15 minutes"

So we waited and the guy who was younger than I am showed up and looked at our empty tire and rim with a lousy tire and I asked, "Could you mount this and is there any chance you ahve any more tires like this>"

"Oh sure. I have lots of them..And he opened teh building and it was like opening the door to the color scene in teh Wizard of OZ...gazillions of tires in a ratty old warehouse.

So, Bill and I squirted on a ton of Mosquito repellant..which teh mosquitos drank lustily while we worked...and removed the two remaining 2004 dry rotted tires.

About 15 minutes later we were on the road with four new trailer tires, ( two from palestine and two from dallas) and a real live inflated spare!! ($525 on tires since Austin) ( We are up to 225 miles per tire change)

So...for those of you betting on our progress. It is 9 am and we are outside nashville on the north side..

Might as well shoot up to Lake Charlevoix for the Red Fox on Labor Day Weekend!

hmmmm, you feel like clearing out a storage space in Truro and dropping the contents in Fort Worth on your way back? Been trying to make the trip for years but can't fit it in.

...gazillions of tires in a ratty old warehouse.

Uhhh, hope you got some that were made somewhat recently, old tires can pose a risk. Most tire manufacturer's warranties cover their tires for four years from the date of purchase or five years from the week the tires were manufactured. New law in 2000 required ID for most tires to identify when the tire was built - last four digits tell the tale:

DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 = Manufactured in the 51st week of 2007

...gazillions of tires in a ratty old warehouse.

Uhhh, hope you got some that were made somewhat recently, old tires can pose a risk. Most tire manufacturer's warranties cover their tires for four years from the date of purchase or five years from the week the tires were manufactured. New law in 2000 required ID for most tires to identify when the tire was built - last four digits tell the tale:

DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 = Manufactured in the 51st week of 2007

the things you learn @SA!

thanks

Hey Gouv,

What route are you taking?

we should have stuck an iBoat tracker on the truck :lol:

Hey Gouv,

What route are you taking?

You wouldn't be stopping in kingston from the 28th-30th August by any chance? Might as well make sure she's a fast one!

Linky

Just heard that they have four new tires now and still somewhere in Arkansas.

I hope they don't pick-up any lot lizzards !!!

Too funny, the guy who owns (?) an boat repair yard and insists on charging full tilt + for everything launches on a road trip with other peoples boats and in the early stages has to replace all 4 tires. I get the impression he's not very good nor plans much in advance. Will he charge the boat owners for the new tires? there's you poll. :lol:

Take the Cat... It will turn a very long day of driving into a five hour ride.

http://www.catferry.com/the-ship/

I second this option - get on the ferry in Portland. Used to go to Halifax a couple times a year, the ferry is civil (and not that expensive after you factor in gas and speeding tickets).

Too funny, the guy who owns (?) an boat repair yard and insists on charging full tilt + for everything launches on a road trip with other peoples boats and in the early stages has to replace all 4 tires. I get the impression he's not very good nor plans much in advance. Will he charge the boat owners for the new tires? there's you poll. :lol:

I'm sure we have a poll for you to suck on!!!!

fuking idiot.

Take the Cat... It will turn a very long day of driving into a five hour ride.

http://www.catferry.com/the-ship/

I second this option - get on the ferry in Portland. Used to go to Halifax a couple times a year, the ferry is civil (and not that expensive after you factor in gas and speeding tickets).

If they come close to getting speeding tickets, this story is just getting started.

fuking idiot.

Seconded...

I am the new owner and wouldn't have been able to purchase this boat without Gov and Bill's help. I feel bad for them for having to deal with the delays caused by my tow.

fuking idiot.

Seconded...

I am the new owner and wouldn't have been able to purchase this boat without Gov and Bill's help. I feel bad for them for having to deal with the delays caused by my tow.

How Canadian of you. ;)

Congrats on the new toy. :D

and I will be paying for the tires when he arrives in Halifax. He didn't sell me the boat and it is not his responsibility to pay for tires used in tow.

Sometimes I like the way you think Boothy

Yeah, Boothy has a way with words (not to mention excellent ideas) at times.

;)

Hey douche-nozzle, a little reading here is in order before you start spouting off about your "impression". Try thinking before typing, it'll save you some major embarrassment.

Hey douche-nozzle, a little reading here is in order before you start spouting off about your "impression". Try thinking before typing, it'll save you some major embarrassment.

Bus Driver

You must be from Texas using all those big words and stuff :lol: Glad to see that people are satisfied with the product, Olson 30's are cool boats. Like i said, I'll bet the Gov is not paying for the tires, no need to elaborate on the pre trip inspection of the gear. Wankers.

Holy shit!! Why didn't we think of that?? The Island wouldn't get flat tires and we could get the three Lasers stacked on it without having to unbolt and relocate the damned toolboxes..

What size ball does Nova Scotia take??

Mmm. Waffle House.

We did NOT eat at Awfle House... the lot was empty and flat and concrete and right next to the gas station where we were buying gas when I foolishly inspected the tire and found the swollen stretched out lump on the tread.

Yup// /I totaly screwed up. The tires looked fine. Prog drove the boat down from Dallas ...They looked fine on the sidewalls. I simply never thought to bend down and look closely BETWEEN the treads. The failures were totally betwen the treads and when the treads tore off they left a ridge perfectly fine looking tread all around the perimeter.

I don't pretend to know squat about tire construction. This is my first traveling experience with any kind of flat tires where road hazards where not involved. The trailer was new in 2004 so I assumed the tires were fine...

When one threw a tread and we not only replaced it but bought a second spare tire just in case.

We never had a flat just failing treads. The tire "experts" at the place where we bought the first two tires didn't see any reason to replace the three tires that still showed no problems.. In fact they thought I was being conservative to buy an extra un-mounted tire.

Once we realized the tires were all tossing treads we bought all new ones so we would not have any dangerous blowouts...

About the warehouse full of tires...The place was THE tire store for the area and right by the highway.

I am certain his stock turns over regularly.

Just getting my post count up but...

Here's the visit with Arlene in Columbus. Arlene used to race MORC all the time on a 1967 Columbia 24 called Fubsy at Erie Yacht Club. We couldn't drive past without giving Bill a chance to meet one of my all time favorite sailor ladies.

..So we spent an hour having dinner with her and hearing stories about the good old days on Erie Bay

Waldo called.

Which one of you told him I was going up near Newfoundland??

I just listened to a half hour of whimpering about how I should be bringing home a big black puppy for his new playmate.

so gov, you should get there tomorow is my guess... knowing pappa progg and junior i bet they feel bad about the tire issue. GOOD LUCK to you and Bill at least you will have a full BODY of water to sail on!

Skiles

Don't let this journey to the center of the Earth go un-noticed and un-reported! We need constant f'ng updates!..........

pd41.jpg

ekm00330-1.jpg

Just getting my post count up but...

Here's the visit with Arlene in Columbus. Arlene used to race MORC all the time on a 1967 Columbia 24 called Fubsy at Erie Yacht Club. We couldn't drive past without giving Bill a chance to meet one of my all time favorite sailor ladies.

..So we spent an hour having dinner with her and hearing stories about the good old days on Erie Bay

'Flip, Flop, & Fly"?? Was this boat brought to you by the Cookie Monster and the letter F?

I just puked a little.

Waldo! It's been, but just browsed your page Gov' (trying to figure out Laser rigging) and read about Skipper. Got an old dog myself and yes I did cry when I saw Old Yeller.

Waldo called.

Which one of you told him I was going up near Newfoundland??

I just listened to a half hour of whimpering about how I should be bringing home a big black puppy for his new playmate.

The guys will be at the border tomorrow by 12 noon and i'll be there to meet them and pay the tax etc. I leave at 6 am to meet them at the woodstock, NB border.

I'll take some pics. They are making great time.

WeE are in Bangor, Maine...let the sick puns begin!

Waldo is 15 years younger than Skipper would be..about 2 1/2 yeas old now.

We met this guy at a rest stop on the New York Throughway today. The guy sitting with him told us the pooch is 13.

A view from a bridge in Portsmouth New Hampshire...I think...

We hope tomorrow's photos will not be of all our stuff scattered on tehe ground while customs goes through it...That would take forever

My plan is to start a thread about the masters worlds and take a camera out on the water. I will put theat thread in Dinghy anarchy or on the water anarchy as is determined appropriate..

the dry bag I bought says it is "photo quality plastic" The camera has a 10 to one optical zoom so I should be able to take some nice stuff

A view from a bridge in Portsmouth New Hampshire...I think...

We hope tomorrow's photos will not be of all our stuff scattered on tehe ground while customs goes through it...That would take forever

My plan is to start a thread about the masters worlds and take a camera out on the water. I will put theat thread in Dinghy anarchy or on the water anarchy as is determined appropriate..

the dry bag I bought says it is "photo quality plastic" The camera has a 10 to one optical zoom so I should be able to take some nice stuff

Leaving my house in 15 minutes. It's about 5 hours to the border crossing. Fingers crossed it's a smooth one. The 100% disclosure approach with armed border guards is one I always stick to.

WeE are in Bangor, Maine...let the sick puns begin!

Waldo is 15 years younger than Skipper would be..about 2 1/2 yeas old now.

We met this guy at a rest stop on the New York Throughway today. The guy sitting with him told us the pooch is 13.

Easy on the puns. I live here.

Let me know if you need something this morning, though I suspect you're on the move already.

EDIT: And it's Bang-GOR... for those who don't know. Even though it's more fun to Bang'er, despite not knowing her.

The suspense is killing me fred good luck at customs!

EDIT: And it's Bang-GOR... for those who don't know. Even though it's more fun to Bang'er, despite not knowing her.

"Bangor rhymes with Al Gore." -- Albert Gore, 2000

The guys will be at the border tomorrow by 12 noon and i'll be there to meet them and pay the tax etc. I leave at 6 am to meet them at the woodstock, NB border.

I'll take some pics. They are making great time.

Woodstock? Don't they know about the airline? You should be meeting them in St. Stephen/Calais.

Long day but i'm home and the boat is just a few hours behind me. I'm going to the airport to pick up the other laser sailer Doug and the guys should be at my house by 12am if they don't decide to stop before then. We met in Houlton and had lunch and got to know eachother a bit.

What a boat!!!!

There are pictures that will be posted soon.

Customs sucked for me but it was my fault for not having my shit together more. The tax wound up costing me much more than I had planned for but I didn't care cos I got a new boat.

I'll post some more detail tomorrow while i'm at work thinking about my new ride.

Gov and Bill have made the trek and are looking forward to saying Na Na Na Na Na Na at all the nay sayers.

Did NautiGirl meet you at the border with a bottle of Shiraz and newspaper clippings of airplane crashes?..............

Everything might look fine in the photo with Jonny, Matt, and Bill but that photo was taken before we went to customs.....

Matt and Jonny arrived at the border about two minutes in front of us in their little black car and we drove up next to them , stopped, made a plan, and headed over to the tall stuff and trucks station.

A young cutie came out and Fred instantly went into his, "You are so damn cute I can't think straight" mode but somehow we managed to give the girl our passports and she looked at them and asked a few questions like, "Sir would you quit drooling at me and stop trying to look down my buletproof vest" and afer explaining we were going to race with old farts on St Margaret's Bay....and telling her the guys in the little black car had all the paperwork pertaining to the boat and trailer ...she asked us to sit and wait.

Fred sat drooling and watching her fine wiggle as she walked off....Bill fiddled with the damn GPS changing it to KM instead of Miles so we could do a better job of getting lost if we ever eventually crossed the border.

Then the guys got to the front of their line and there was a bunch of pointing and huddling and more pointing and huddling and the cutie came back over to the truck and suggested I should pull over by the side and come inside.

"We have issues with the trailer and boat"

The cutie wanted a VIN number for the trailer and I told her it was on the receipt.,

She looked, I pointed at teh serial number from Buck. . She pointed at space with about 47 charcter boxes on her official Canadian form and said..."NO the vin number needs to be this long."

I Explained that the trailer was made by a nice fellow named Buck in Texas and that he probably had built about a trailer a week for the last 20 years in his one man welding shop and that M962 was just the number of the trailer he had built five years ago and "THAT" was the VIN.

I even told her my J-24 trailer from Magnum was simply labeled 432 when it was built way back in 1977 and that many old Texas trailers simply do not have very long numbers stamped on them.

I even offered to give her a ride down to Texas to see Buck's shop.

None of this worked.

I offered to take her along to the worlds so she could see in person what honest guys Jonny and Matt must be...and even sleep on the boat with me if she needed a place to stay...Hell I wouldn't be offended if she failed to bring pajamas......

I was banished to the Group W Bench wih Bill and Matt.

Three hours later, the Canadian Government had seized the boat and was trying to convince Jonny that "there is no way he could get a great deal like that."

Apparently, the Blue Book folks think Olson 30s with trailers and shiny sides are lots more valuble than Texans with too many boats who have already purchased a replacement J-36 for the new family boat.

The agents kept asking where he found it, how and how he got such a great price.

The three of us waiting on the group W bench could hear Johnny trying to explain and when he started telling the customs guys about Sailing Anarchy, forums, threads about shipping Olsons to Canada, the masters worlds, Ebay Auctions, Texas sailing, and this hairy guy from Texas who called himself "rudder" we knew, "THis is gonna be a very very long day for everybody."

A fight started between Bill and Matt over the one couch in the office. The customs guys drew their guns. The boys settled down and sat still and eventually fell asleep.

Fred, didn't enter the fight or sleep as he wasn't closing his eyes as long as the cutie was within eyesight anyway...

I couldn't read the customs guy's lips well but we thought we made out, "You lying sack of shit. That boat is worth millions and we want every penny you ever made in your life right now or we will lock you in a room and make you listen to Barry Manilow tapes for the next twenty minutes,"

Well...Barry Manilow ain't Gaelic and Jonny won't listen to any music unless it was written by Stephen F. Foster or Gaelic. Since the Barry Manilow torture scared him shitless...... Jonny offered to pay.

He signed Matt over to the customs guys and the rest of us started to drive off...

They drew thair guns.

We reloaded Matt and offered Peckover's Laser as compensation.

They drew their guns again.

Jonny gave them a gold ingot he had previously swiped from the Great Pyramids

They accepted it.

Nobody broke a smile

The girl was still cute anyway

We got in the truck and the car and, after asking the girl one last time to come with us, drove off again..without her

and

Into the approaching hurricane whose predicted arrival is at St Margaret's Bay on Sunday...formerly known as the first day of racing

two_atl.gif

crikey, i hope he didn't have to pay new boat tax on an old boat.

also, i can't believe i didn't pick up on that being an American Irving station at first glance. Been away too long.q

Great report good on all of you doing this for each other!!!

I love this shit!! :lol:

"The group W bench"

Nice touch.

Did NautiGirl meet you at the border with a bottle of Shiraz and newspaper clippings of airplane crashes?..............

:P

My Other 0.023 had a really close call Friday. I'm trying not to think about plane crashes this week.

And I generally drink white in the summer.

Taxes? Wtf happened to NAFTA?......

Buy a boat in oklahoma and bring it into texas..... you have to pay taxes, its only that they don't have a border patrol that means you may not get caught right away :)

I'm wondering if anyone has called Gouv "Reggie" yet.

"Cause Margos got the cargo, and Reggie's got the rig"

I think that Stompin Tom song that you are referring too contains some major sexual innuendo.

Margo's got the cargo (ie: vagina) and reggies got the rig (ie: penis).

As much as I love that song I wonder who is margo...me??? If so, I ain't lettin reggie anywhere near me.

Come and listen to a story about a man named Gouv

A poor texas sailor, barely kept his family fed,

Then one day he was postin' on SA,

And up through the Nets came a tow-needin dude.

Olson that is, white gold, Frisco tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Gouvs a goin-north,

Kinfolk said "Gouv tow that boat up there!"

They said "Nova Scosheeah's the place you ought to be"

So they loaded up the truck and drove to Canadee.

Nova Scotia that is. Border guards, hurricanes.

I was banished to the Group W Bench wih Bill and Matt.

Probably the first time in the history of the Group W bench where the question was "what's it rate" in place of "what'cha get"... although you could have said "I didn't get nothing and I had to tow the boat from texas...".

True enough. The boat is in mint condition and has been looked after extremely well.

you got one hell of a deal!

i've raced on and against that boat for many years... and knowing pappa prog and junior

if they thought or knew the tires were in the conditon they were in they would have replaced them.

also fred is one hell of a nice guy but don't let that get to his head!

enjoy your boat and glad you got through the border with only fred getting himdself into shit!