Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

Alinghi broke?

We hear from an Italian journalist friend that Alinghi suffered a structural problem today while sailing downwind in flat water and in only 9 kts of breeze. Apparently something in the aft starboard corner of the boat -- the same corner that got dunked in by the helicopter when they landed in Genoa...

Today sails came down immediately, and they towed very slowly back to harbour. Mast is now off, boat hauled. obvious concern today over the starboard "Y" beam as Alinghi was towing in. Haven't been able verify the veracity of the story, but it seems legit.

Goodie, now imagine what will happen in the waters of Dubai. I'm drooling at the thought of Cheezilla breaking up live on my television.

Now that I have your attention go on over to GA ya facker! :lol:

Can't wait for the first posts from MSP (Swiss Death Trap), Marian (The boat was designed to do this) and SimoN ( BOR spies broke into the SNG compound and removed some bolts last night!). Finally some new content on this board :P

Finally some new content on this board :P

Yeah, it definately was getting boring. This should be a good one....

We hear from an Italian journalist friend that Alinghi suffered a structural problem today while sailing downwind in flat water and in only 9 kts of breeze. Apparently something in the aft starboard corner of the boat -- the same corner that got dunked in by the helicopter when they landed in Genoa...

Today sails came down immediately, and they towed very slowly back to harbour. Mast is now off, boat hauled. obvious concern today over the starboard "Y" beam as Alinghi was towing in. Haven't been able verify the veracity of the story, but it seems legit.

Here is that video, it's been posted before, showing what looks like a wind gust hitting the copter while the boat was still attached

Haven't put a ruler straight line to it but at about 30 seconds, doesn't it look a bit twisted?

Here is that video, it's been posted before, showing what looks like a wind gust hitting the copter while the boat was still attached

Haven't put a ruler straight line to it but at about 30 seconds, doesn't it look a bit twisted?

117z9yt.jpg

This photo just went up on the FP - looks like they are focused on that near-side Y beam?

ogcrgl.jpg

Thanks for some news during lunch!

First, the video. I truly doubt that this did anything to the boat. Not picture perfect, but under sail, the boat gets much worse.

Second. I really hope they don't have any significant problems. I want a race, and I want them there at full force. Otherwise it is a hollow victory.

Finally, if they really get their fingers in the door jam with a breakage, I'd expect more legal shenanigans to buy time.

Tough break for Alinghi & hopefully no one got hurt. Going to be interesting to see if the Alinghi PR machine put spin on this on or not.

o9p9g9.jpg

Either they are meeting at the Y or they are bracing it.

The nice thing is that if it was a serious break, they should still have time to fix it before the match. The even better thing is that this could cost them a ton of valuable time to work up the boat! :P

First, the video. I truly doubt that this did anything to the boat. Not picture perfect, but under sail, the boat gets much worse.

That temporary mast they helicoptered it with, to presumably counter all the pretensioned stress from the under side, is quite short. It may not have taken a lateral force like that well.

We speculated before about it in a thread, even thought we saw damage done, but that was to the hull not the Y beam. Could be nothing, but it is at least curious that the account says "structural problem" and "sails came down immediately" and the pic shows them in that same rear stb quarter.

o9p9g9.jpg

Either they are meeting at the Y or they are bracing it.

Did you say they are meeting at the Y? They need the first team on board!post-12173-1251399550_thumb.jpg

Today sails came down immediately, and they towed very slowly back to harbour. Mast is now off, boat hauled. obvious concern today over the starboard "Y" beam as Alinghi was towing in. Haven't been able verify the veracity of the story, but it seems legit.

Tough break for Alinghi & hopefully no one got hurt. Going to be interesting to see if the Alinghi PR machine put spin on this on or not.

Yeah, I'd like to see an Alinghi cartoon on this one. You know they'd have tossed one out had this been BOR 90.

I always thought that if a multi does not break something in the sailing trials, it has been built too heavy!

Nice to again have something to speculate about. Nevertheless, testing is there for things to break and being modified. I would be surprised if Alinghi hadn't also planned for breakage, repair and reinforcement.

To be honest, the pic on the front page is weird.. Looks like some kind of bad photoshop scam to get you guys on the roll.. SO far, doesn't seems to work that well..

If the "Y" is broke doen that meen a trip back to the pond to be fixed or can the boat be reconstructed where it is? That structure lends itself to not bieng taken apart verry well. Glued laminated beams and "Y " connections thats a new boat when its put back together.

If the "Y" is broke doen that meen a trip back to the pond to be fixed or can the boat be reconstructed where it is? That structure lends itself to not bieng taken apart verry well. Glued laminated beams and "Y " connections thats a new boat when its put back together.

If something has gone bad structurally then I doubt they would want to risk another flight for fear of it getting worse. Are there any boatyards in Genoa capable of this type of repair or are we going to see Alinghi bringing in their own man?

Looks like they need another engine to hold the boat together.

Maybe the engine overtensioned the strut. It's a lot easier to break something when you have a powered hydraulic system hooked up.

I expect that any part can be repaired locally, but if its one of the Y poles, those are monted and not glued, therefore a new one could be built in Switzerland and shiped to be replaced on the boat. I include a picture of the end of one of the Y beam where it is attached to the rear beam. Its done so some flexibility is built in.

post-36609-1251401714_thumb.jpg

Its done so some flexibility is built in.

Blasphemer!

Flexibility is slow!!!! haven't you seen all the BOR90 threads? Sheesh. Amateurs :P

I expect that any part can be repaired locally, but if its one of the Y poles, those are monted and not glued, therefore a new one could be built in Switzerland and shiped to be replaced on the boat. I include a picture of the end of one of the Y beam where it is attached to the rear beam. Its done so some flexibility is built in.

Thanks, Philippe, an interesting view. The quick and dirty view would be that in static mode when being tensioned up on the prop stands this part of the Y system is under tension. Even if this is a "straightforward" insert new part here, the jigging up of the boat to keep the other parts from being over stressed during an exchange will be some work. That and the data review to figure out if its a singular problem or an engineering problem that required a redesign first.

The potential big cost here, Time.

Those connections are "simple" connections, designed to keep "bending" forces out of the joint.

Simple, being a term of art for structural design.

This is all good fun speculation, but it could also be nothing, and they'll be out sailing tomorrow.

Can't wait for the first posts from MSP (Swiss Death Trap), Marian (The boat was designed to do this) and SimoN ( BOR spies broke into the SNG compound and removed some bolts last night!). Finally some new content on this board :P

Don't forget that this is all BMWO's fault, and EB is just a hapless victim of American manipulation.

Sure looks like the Y-beam buckled, based on where they're huddled. Not as bad as crossbeam or hull damage, but no picnic. I'm more interested that it happened in a fairly sedate conditions. Was a construction flaw, or did they manage to build something that breaks on flat water in 9kts of breeze?

Sure looks like the Y-beam buckled, based on where they're huddled. Not as bad as crossbeam or hull damage, but no picnic. I'm more interested that it happened in a fairly sedate conditions. Was a construction flaw, or did they manage to build something that breaks on flat water in 9kts of breeze?

this was their plan from the very beginning, hence the choice of rak: 0-6kt max. ;)

if it was to handle more than 9kt, it would be damned too heavy. :P

Someone put in crappy line of code and EB pressed the "autosail" button. The algorithm told the engine to 'let her happen captain' and "not water ballast" was pumped too quickly creating uneven loading.

Either that or EB tried a Crazy Ivan to see if he was being followed.

:ph34r:

I'd hate to see Alinghi lose to a transportation accident. I'd rather see them get beat on the water by DZ.

No fun winning that way; lots of fun to see them beaten by a monster tri.

:ph34r:

I'd hate to see Alinghi lose to a transportation accident. I'd rather see them get beat on the water by DZ.

No fun winning that way; lots of fun to see them beaten by a monster tri.

Time will tell on the extent of the problem.

One thing that enters into this is confidence in the boat. Kind of like PACT 2000?

Wow the control is running on "Oracle" software and it over stressed the hydraulics. Possibly computer software problems.

AC 33 had to be forfieted today due to a computer virus. Owner of boat said there was no way to sail with humans at controls.

Great picture. This is a substantial piece of carbon. I'm really surprised it failed (if it did... we shall see). It looks easy to change on the aft end, what does the joint look like on the other end?

Kind of like PACT 2000?

"One of the special unwritten rules," says Baird, with a wry smile, "is that when you break your boat in half, you have to sit out the next America’s Cup." - Ed Baird, working as a TV commentator in 2003 - the cup after Young America snapped in half.

Think he'll be telling that to EB tonight?

Kind of like PACT 2000?

"One of the special unwritten rules," says Baird, with a wry smile, "is that when you break your boat in half, you have to sit out the next America's Cup." - Ed Baird, working as a TV commentator in 2003 - the cup after Young America snapped in half.

Young America broke a boat in half? which one was that?

I know oneAustralia AUS-35 broke in half in SD (1995?)

Did EB have an aussie at the helm? :ph34r:

Kind of like PACT 2000?

"One of the special unwritten rules," says Baird, with a wry smile, "is that when you break your boat in half, you have to sit out the next America's Cup." - Ed Baird, working as a TV commentator in 2003 - the cup after Young America snapped in half.

Young America broke a boat in half? which one was that?

I know oneAustralia AUS-35 broke in half in SD (1995?)

Did EB have an aussie at the helm? :ph34r:

USA 53 in Auckland, 2000.

yamerica.jpg

Great picture. This is a substantial piece of carbon. I'm really surprised it failed (if it did... we shall see). It looks easy to change on the aft end, what does the joint look like on the other end?

the three poles are fixed by the base of the mast, best pic here:

post-36609-1251407052_thumb.jpg

This is sad really. I was hoping that when it went, it would go totally ass over teakettle and kill someone. I presume everyone was alright? Shame.

What was that trimaran that snapped in half last year - was it Ellen's former boat, renamed Musandam? There was quite a pic on the FP at some point.

This is sad really. I was hoping that when it went, it would go totally ass over teakettle and kill someone. I presume everyone was alright? Shame.

===================

You're a sick fucking bastard....

I have been resisting answering stupid posts, but if you realy meant that you hoped someone would get killed, that is now sickening!

Yea, but it was fricking funny......

I have been resisting answering stupid posts, but if you realy meant that you hoped someone would get killed, that is now sickening!

Would you expect anything less than sickening from him??

Maybe '************ the Hut' took a bite out of it? B)

'Dan, stay away from the crunchy parts...'

I truely think we have the problem ID'ed. Bringing Shamu onboard put high loads, and pant loads, in places not designed for it.

Oh; lighten up Francis. These guys are all going to die one day or another. What's the big deal if they do it while doing something they love on a beautiful day in the Med on one of the world's fastest boats? Dying isn't so bad. You all act like death is some horrible disaster. Humbug.

I can only assume that CheeseZilla's first attempt at a "racing tack" went horribly, horribly wrong. :blink:

MSP is gunna love this one, where is the chief??

HERE HERE -

I AM JUST LOOKING OVER THE INFO-

THE DEATH TRAP POPPED SOMETHING AND HOPEFULLY NO ONE GOT HURT-

IT WAS A MATTER OF TIME--

IT NEVER LOOKED RIGHT TO ME -AS A USCG CERT BUILDER OF DOCUMENTED VESSELS-

AND HAULING BY THE SHORT HAIRS OVER THE MOUNTAINS -DIDNT MAKE IT STRONGER-

WE SEE SOON --WHAT IF EVER ANY FACTUAL INFO IS RELEASED OR FOUND-

BTM LINE ITS BUSTED- HOPEFULLY - THEY WILL JUST LASH THE 55 GAL DRUMS-TO IT-FINISH THE BARGE-CUT THEIR LOSSES--

ALL THOSE GIZMO'S - AND THE ENGINE BS--

AND THE SNG/ BERTARELLI -==DEVIL---- AC CURSE IS AFFECTING THEM--NOW--

NASCAR...NASCAR...NASCAR....

The guys in the fuzzy picture all look pretty relaxed. Certainly doesn't look like they're "bracing" anything. Not sure I'd feel comfortable lounging around a highly tensioned part of the boat that had just suffered structural failure.

Pic and story just don't seem to fit together to me.

Oh; lighten up Francis. These guys are all going to die one day or another. What's the big deal if they do it while doing something they love on a beautiful day in the Med on one of the world's fastest boats? Dying isn't so bad. You all act like death is some horrible disaster. Humbug.

No Quarter has a point. When you race a boat that, on her side, is the height of a 10 story building, you have to assume that, after a capsize, somebody falling off said building may be killed. As in hitting the boom?

These guys are pushing the envelope. Somebody may end up dying. Fine by me.

I'd rather die going 40 knots in a sailboat than mountaineering.

This could be a first ever event

the Ed scooped the forum & ran with a Ft Page story w PIX :o

marian oh marian can you put the spin on this for US ?? B)

NOT Wishing anything Bad for anyone (Wishing Better for BMW-O tho - I have to admit) <_<

I just knew a little porn link would get things rolling

wonder if the PC's on-board were tuned to FTV and overloaded ????

Maybe '************ the Hut' took a bite out of it? B)

'Dan, stay away from the crunchy parts...'

I truely think we have the problem ID'ed. Bringing Shamu onboard put high loads, and pant loads, in places not designed for it.

Perhaps '************ the Hutt' was officially part of A5's "load and stress testing" program?

This could be a first ever event

the Ed scooped the forum & ran with a Ft Page story w PIX :o

marian oh marian can you put the spin on this for US ?? B)

NOT Wishing anything Bad for anyone (Wishing Better for BMW-O tho - I have to admit) <_<

Be careful Woody. Keep in mind that this story all seems to be hinging on one source, with only a grainy photo as confirmation. We're all going to look really dumb if this is a joke.

Hey NQ,...... I see you've been hanging out with your Perdick buddy too long. Starting to think the same.

Nah...that was Brossard,

Bourgons boat

What was that trimaran that snapped in half last year - was it Ellen's former boat, renamed Musandam? There was quite a pic on the FP at some point.

Someone sat on the 'trim' button until it just wound the boat up and it broke.

Saw the same thing happen to the Amoco/Harken boat Halcyon. A guest sat on the console on top of the mainsheet trim button until it punched the base of the rigid vang through a bulkhead. Worked on her some when Olaf had OH Rodgers make mods/rehab work on her. Busted that bulkhead nice.

Cages were installed over the buttons after that.........................................

the three poles are fixed by the base of the mast, best pic here:

With that image it looks like compression to me now. With the design CZ has, the structure is always highly loaded, even when its at rest.

The guys in the fuzzy picture all look pretty relaxed. Certainly doesn't look like they're "bracing" anything. Not sure I'd feel comfortable lounging around a highly tensioned part of the boat that had just suffered structural failure.

Pic and story just don't seem to fit together to me.

Maybe their sensors picked up the break before it really blew as once something breaks the tension goes. Once they knew they were about to break something they backed off the tension to decrease further damage. Once we have some good pics we will know........

Saw the same thing happen to the Amoco/Harken boat Halcyon. A guest sat on the console on top of the mainsheet trim button until it punched the base of the rigid vang through a bulkhead. Worked on her some when Olaf had OH Rodgers make mods/rehab work on her. Busted that bulkhead nice.

Cages were installed over the buttons after that.........................................

Kind of a "Push the button Max" moment, perhaps, as spoken by Jack Lemmon portraying Professor Fate at the conclusion to The Great Race where Max (Maximillian MEEN) played by Peter Falk fires the cannon on the Hannibal 8 and tumbles the Eiffel Tower.

Kind of a "Push the button Max" moment, perhaps, as spoken by Jack Lemmon portraying Professor Fate at the conclusion to The Great Race where Max (Maximillian MEEN) played by Peter Falk fires the cannon on the Hannibal 8 and tumbles the Eiffel Tower.

Just remembered.................It was 'Procyon'!

Looks to me like they are putting on one of those carbon brace thingies they used to use for broken spinnaker poles in the IACCs.

Time to get the MORE Bondo out :)

Fixed it.

LOL --CALL THE BOND0 TROWLERS-AND GUNITE CREWS--

THIS FOTO BELOW SHOWS ONE OF MANY PARTS-- ON DEATHTRAP THAT LOOKS WRONG TO ME--

STRONG ASS MEMBERS ATTACHED TO SOME WEAK ASS THIN CRAP--

post-34407-1251412229_thumb.png

Fixed it.

Kemosabe gettin' waaaay too technical in those terms.

Fixed it.

Kemosabe gettin' waaaay too technical in those terms.

BUT TECHNICALY RIGHT-

KEMOSABE=HIM NO SABE WAS THE LONE RANGER =PILGRIM -WASNT IT ?

Did you just get back to base from the middle east!

It just fell off?

Nope.... It was the part of the ship that was attached to the front, that fell off.

Oh, and 20,000 tons of crude oil......

It just fell off?

well, it was hit by a wave

what kind of wave?

a monster wave

how big was it?

we don't know but it must have been pretty big because it tore the front of the ship off

It just fell off?

well, it was hit by a wave

what kind of wave?

a monster wave

how big was it?

we don't know but it must have been pretty big because it tore the front of the ship off

Whate where the chances of that...???

In the sea? A wave?

Chance in a million......

Possibly heresy but I think the stuff John Clarke has done ripping off Aussie politicians is funnier than Fredd Dagg :o

If you ask me that photo is a fake. For a 90 x 90 ft cat, those crew look seem to big. Also the photo is rubbish. I guess there enough paparazzi done in Genoa to get a decent photo!

If you ask me that photo is a fake. For a 90 x 90 ft cat, those crew look seem to big. Also the photo is rubbish. I guess there enough paparazzi done in Genoa to get a decent photo!

Yadda, yadda yadda. You have to bring better than that.

Fuck off, Newbie. Nobody asked you for anything but pics of your girlfriend's tits

Today sails came down immediately, and they towed very slowly back to harbour. Mast is now off, boat hauled. obvious concern today over the starboard "Y" beam as Alinghi was towing in. Haven't been able verify the veracity of the story, but it seems legit.

117z9yt.jpg

Edit: I guess I could not get Phillipe's pic

My initial reaction to the video was that in dragging it... it would rotate around the low point and would not likely damage anything.... I did helo ops from a boat in the CG for 10 years... However... in looking at the single frame at 30 and then 31 seconds it does appear tweaked downward on the starboard stern... I put dividers on the screen and it appeared to be down, how much? Who can say what is lens or spray distortion as a factor?... Looking at Phillipe's pic I dont think the tubular beam itself would have failed....perhaps those giant L brackets on each side of it? or perhaps where the ring of the end of it was glued to the beam itself?... those joints would take the brunt of that impact and be what In my UnInformed Opinion... would be the shear points....

It just fell off?

Nope.... It was the part of the ship that was attached to the front, that fell off.

But it's OK because it has been towed beyond the environment......

It just fell off?

But it's OK because it has been towed beyond the environment......

AND IT WAS TOWED WITHOUT LOSING A DROP OF OIL-?

AND SINCE WHEN IS THE OCEAN NOT THE ENVIRONMENT ?