Jim Donovan

20+ Footer - Building in Hawaii

I think there were/are a number of us interested. Probably more then the GP26. But for some reason the project died while J Boats continued to forge ahead with the J/70. Too bad!

As I spoke with Jim Donovan just a few weeks ago this project is far from dead. He is quite busy with our GP 26 and the others along with other projects.

He works on this boat when time allows.

As I spoke with Jim Donovan just a few weeks ago this project is far from dead. He is quite busy with our GP 26 and the others along with other projects.

I was told the same thing over a year ago....or was it 2 years ago!

Jerryd, as Gone wrote, He works on this boat when time allows. Just out of curiosity how many you think are interested in JD20. Jim's boat is a too high tech but there can be a cheaper production version I believe.

Jerryd, as Gone wrote, He works on this boat when time allows. Just out of curiosity how many you think are interested in JD20. Jim's boat is a too high tech but there can be a cheaper production version I believe.

I can't answer your question. However, I think there is or was a much larger market for the JD20 then the GP 26. No doubt this was proven by the J70.

I can't answer your question. However, I think there is or was a much larger market for the JD20 then the GP 26. No doubt this was proven by the J70.
Actually there is a fair bit of doubt on this as Donovan draws high performance boats, not "turds with sticks" as another contributor so eloquently put it.

That being said, I want the 26 and the 20 to thrive as I believe JP's designs represent what the fast is fun movement should look like.

TTooling a new boat costs money and interest in a design doesn't pay the bills...

Actually there is a fair bit of doubt on this as Donovan draws high performance boats, not "turds with sticks" as another contributor so eloquently put it.

That being said, I want the 26 and the 20 to thrive as I believe JP's designs represent what the fast is fun movement should look like.

TTooling a new boat costs money and interest in a design doesn't pay the bills...

Gone..., 'TTooling a new boat costs money and interest in a design doesn't pay the bills...' +1 :)

GP26 had limited sales numbers with the limited promotion we have been able to make. Some larger similar sportboats did not sell like hot dogs either. J70 success is more due to sucessfull promotion than the boat being a good design I think. (Which by the way I do not think is a bad thing for the boat builder or the designer...)

Great stuff Jim does that mean the big boat T4 is close to finish and you have had some time to your self...

love an update on both gee there would be a fleet of 50 x 6m boats just with the volume of carbon you have been processing how is your mate ,does he speak about grey cold weather of the nor west is there a quarantine protocol ??

but yes, great to see you've surfaced

interesting timing; we have some exciting news coming.

Plans developing to supply kit and boats in various stages of completion

Cool!

Double Cool !!

FB- Doug

I just retrieved the boat from my friends backyard in California and moved it up to my current "home" in Washington State.

After a couple days of cleaning the boat shined up pretty nice, and I have installed the majority of the deck hardware.

My "compass mount / cleat cover" in the cockpit is going to get a make-over so it fits better in the cockpit and solves an interference issue with the beer holders and cam cleats inside.

Mast is inside the GP26 mast mold stowed on deck in the photo.

Have a rudder to build and keel.

This little boat is more powered up than the GP26 and should be incredibly fun to sail with all the good manners of the GP26; upwind speed/stability/great control downwind

post-3763-0-04684300-1470151496_thumb.jpg

I just retrieved the boat from my friends backyard in California and moved it up to my current "home" in Washington State.

After a couple days of cleaning the boat shined up pretty nice, and I have installed the majority of the deck hardware.

My "compass mount / cleat cover" in the cockpit is going to get a make-over so it fits better in the cockpit and solves an interference issue with the beer holders and cam cleats inside.

This little boat is more powered up than the GP26 and should be incredibly fun to sail with all the good manners of the GP26; upwind speed/stability/great control downwind

Finally looks like you will splash the boat soon...

Lets get about 10 orders for the eglass version and build these... :rolleyes:?!

Finally looks like you will splash the boat soon...

Lets get about 10 orders for the eglass version and build these... :rolleyes:?!

please do

I've been waiting quite a few years to see this boat in the water. The boat has kept my interest on high and

would love to see her slip into the drank. I don't think there would be to big of a crowd if you invited the public.

How about Date, Time and Ramp coordinates? Would love to take those first pics which will be of a

very successful Sportboat. Depending on the usual, nice fit finish, great mast and rig, like I said, the regular,

I'm in, let's start cranking them out!

Just read the entire(!) thread. Wonder if this could be a doublehanded Pac Cup boat?

Min. length for Pac Cup is 23' 9". I believe for Singlehanded Transpac it is 20'.

T4 looks great. Seems a little on the larger size of 20 feet but nice none the less.

Is the Donovan 20 in WA State now? If so, is it stuffed in a garage or is it at a marina where it can be view? Thanks.

Bump... 8 1/2 years and still no float? WTF? The ultimate tease. Anything we can do to help launch this design?

The realization that I do not have any free time available to actually finish this boat, has me thinking I should sell it as is to someone with the time and/or resources to get the thing finished and finally sailing. Anyone interested?

Crickets, it sure got quiet around here. If only I had boat building skills worthy of such a project.

17 minutes ago, Gbrungra said:

Varan, you offered $15k about six months ago. Is that offer no longer valid?

If Mr. Donovan would only say that...

7 hours ago, Jim Donovan said:

SOLD! 

(Not to Varan : Will let you know if anything changes )

Dang it. Please do keep us up-to-date. It looks like an ultra-cool boat. Is it currently in the PNW? Sure would like to see it someday.

NOT sold!  Buyer just backed out; various reasons. So still available. Boat is in Monterey Bay Area. Has a good little custom trailer and super easy to tow. 

On 4/7/2018 at 1:27 PM, Jim Donovan said:

NOT sold!  Buyer just backed out; various reasons. So still available. Boat is in Monterey Bay Area. Has a good little custom trailer and super easy to tow. 

Well, shucks, here I am on the East Coast. At least I have something to daydream about................

FB- Doug

Bugger that and my situation has gone in a different direction....if only .    The whole T4  story still untold , was obviously very costly in time and energies for Jim , and Im sorry to hear that the liitle un is up for sale .....I hope time heals all wounds and maybe you will get to sail this little masterpiece , ....which gave a few of us an insight into the build of a modern design....which we saw again in the GP 26 .  .... a teacher and a builder as well as naval architecture     cheers to Jim for the future

• Like 1