Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Brave New Worlds - Day 1

For the time being, go here for the pre-worlds action, some Melges 20 stuff from Porto Cervo, and of course, hot chicks and lots of drinkin'!

First Time's A Charm

For the many teams spending a week or more preparing for the 2009 Audi Melges 32 World Championship in Porto Cervo, it's go time. The ten race series pits some of the best sailors in the world against one another as well as the flukey winds on tap for the first part of this first-ever M32 Worlds. The crew lists are a who's who of Grand Prix sailing, from America's Cup to Olympics to Match Race Tour to Volvo Ocean Race, and many of those top rock stars will be stuck in the middle of the fleet, ground down by tough conditions and the ruthless battle that is top-level one design sailing; and of course, we'll be there to cover every start, every mark rounding, and every finish. Our On-The-Water video coverage is unlikely to see live streaming action from the course, but the delays are short and we'll keep you clued in via forum posts until you can check videos and pictures out. And we've got a great bonus in our OTW "Cocktail Hour," a fully live, hour-long talkshow with some of the biggest players in sailing. Today's little practice run of our talk show went off relatively smoothly with PRO Peter Reggio, Audi event organizer Stefano Bareggi and Offshore Rules editor Justin Chisholm, and you can see their take on the favorites for the race, the hardest part of organizing this kind of event, the details of start line management, and much more right here in our Cocktail Hour archives. You can also check out video of the entire practice race and pics of previous practices here in the pre-worlds thread.

Our picks for the regatta would be a lot easier if the forecast was nicer, but instead of Sardinia's famous Northwesterly 'Mistral', the fleet is going to face unsettled Easterlies with plenty of rain and unreliable breeze. This will put a premium on tactical genius, bold moves, and the ability to get off the line in lumpy conditions against some of the world's best. Pre-event favorite Pieter Taselaar on Bliksem won't get the kind of breeze that he's shown such mastery in during his victories in Miami and Italy, and while gold medalist tactician Nathan Wilmot will certainly keep him near the money spots, he'll have to work a hell of a lot harder for it than he might if the Mistral came to play. So we've got Bliksem in third for the event. For second place we think Calvi Network's Carlo Alberini is a safe bet, fresh off an overall victory of the 2009 Audi Sailing Series, with the hot Gabriele Benussi calling the shots. And for the overall championship, we simply cannot bet against the Federico Michetti-built Team 92, helmed by Mumm 30 World Champ Claudio Recchi, who easily won some of the early 20+ boat events in his first M32 (Team 93 is his second) and has Flavio Favini on main and Jonathan McKee on tactics to help his bid to become the first M32 World Champ.

But the dark horses are not so dark, with 15 boats easily in contention to win races - something you don't see in many classes at this level. Vincenzo Onorato (with long time tactician Ado Stead on Mascalzone Latino), and Giovanni Maspero (with the stellar Francesco Bruni on Joe Fly) are two of the most skilled owner-drivers on Earth, and these are there home waters, fickle as they might be this week. Maspero turned some heads today with a blow-out victory of the practice race, though he was even further over the line than the rest of the OCS fleet during the rainy start. Uka Uka Racing may not be the exact same team as the M24 World Championship squad, but Armando Giuletta can drive the boat hard, while M24 Champ Rufo Bressani can keep him moving fast and towards the target. Anthony Kotoun and Steve Liebel are getting Geoff Perini on Shakedown around the track very quickly, while the New York kids on Argo not only have the hottest chicks in the fleet (see 'Lost In Translation" below), they have some major wheels in helmsman Jason Carroll as well as one of the best bowman on the planet. It's hard to be hotter than Ray Davies right now, fresh off his dominating Medcup victory, and Matrix is a wildcard, easily able to put together some solid races. Stu Simpson's Barbarians, Filippo Pacinotti's Brantolo, and Joe Woods' Red can also easily win races - and if they come early enough, any one of these teams could vie for the podium.

As we sit in the bar writing this report, there are plenty of top sailors still milling about despite the importance of getting a good start to the regatta. The vibe here has been like that; fun, relaxed, and lacking the snobbery and over-serious additudes associated with other Grand Prix classes, though the level of competition is clearly as high as almost any regatta there is - whoever wins this one will surely deserve it.

You can check out crew lists here, an official entry list here, and of course you can follow all the action tomorrow in the Day 1 thread on On-The-Water Anarchy, as well as another live streaming episode of Cocktail Hour on Justin.TV after the racing. In just a few hours, it all begins, so strap on your helmet and let's go watch some racing.

And please support the sponsors who help support this great coverage and Class - Melges Europe, Melges Performance Sailboats and the International Melges 32 Class. And our long time supporter and offical apparel provider Tom Carruthers at Point Loma Outfitting, who's already thinking of fun prizes and discounts to reward our audience for being a part of OTW Anarchy.

9/23/2009

Please let it stop raining...please let it stop raining....

Pics coming in a few minutes, racing coming not long afterwards. Welcome to Porto Cervo!

Well, a gorgeous day dawned when I dove on Barbarians this morning, 15 knots out of the East (lumpy) and humid as hell. And now that we are getting ready to head to the boat, of course it's starting to get cloudy with rain forecast early in the afternoon. Oh well - at least the breeze will be on!

This is going to be a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy the ride. Here's Mer's slide show from yesterday.

xslide1.gif xslide2.gif xslide42.gif

Inside 5 minutes to a warning - blowing 13-15 right now with nice chop and some swell. Ready for some great shit...I know I am!

Wow - that was pretty fucking intense. Joe Fly, Uka Uka, and Barbarians take the right at the start. Bashing upwind to the top mark with about a dozen press boats at the head of the fleet, we watched Joe Woods RED round first, Joe FLY second, Bagua Third, Bliksem fourth, Fantasticaa fifth, Team 93 sixth, Highlife seventh, Pilot Italia eigth, Mascalzone ninth and Uka Uka tenth. Big fucking waves crashing everywhere, total mayhem with media at the mark, and Borlenghi just stopped by to grab Mauro and maybe get his lovely wife up in the chopper. Mer is waiting for a prettier day...

And at the gate, it's

Red,

Joe Fly

Team 93

Bagua

Bliksem

Uka Uka

Pilot Italia

Fantasticaa

Brantolo

Mataran

Argo

For those of you watching at this early (US anyway) hour, we're going to have to wait a while to get all the video up. For the US folks, good morning ;)

Our connection out here, strangely, is total crap today. Last year at this very spot, the same Vodafone cards were amazingly fast, but today we can't even get 3G service, and the first video I loaded said it was going to take 3 years, 17 days and 4 hours to upload. That ain't gonna work!!

But anyway, stay tuned for the finish. RED is fucking WAY ahead right now, I mean WAY ahead!

Finish:

Red

Team 93 with an awesome downwind pass

Joe Fly

Uka Uka

Bagua

Bliksem

Mataran

Pilot Italia

Fantasticaa

Argo

Bitipi

Mascalzone

Brantolo

Calvi (maybe they got B)

Sei Tu

Janas

Rush Diletta

Barbarians

Highlife

Opus

Matrix

Hublot

Torpyone

Shakedown

Framontina

Teasing

Black Mamba

I. Nova

And the almost all-corinthian Lea with an average age of like 60...awesome.

At the start Joe Fly and Pierini and Calvi go left and get smoked on a shift, while Mascalzone takes the middle right in 17 knots of breeze to lead to the top mark! But Team 93 is chasing them down already...

Rounding:

Macalzone

08 Bagua

69 Bliksem

16 Opus One

32 Argo

66 Red

Fantasticaaa

99 Mataran

07 Barbarians

10 Sei Tu

11 Calvi

So Claudio Recchi rolls right on by Onorato, getting over the middle right looking downwind where the waves and pressure are bigger. Bliksem looking solid.

Gate:

Masalzone

Bliksem

Mataran

Bagua

Fantasticaa

Opus One

Uka Uka

Matrix

Pilot Italia

Red

Teasing Machine

Claudio Recchi has opened up a HUGE lead! Like I said this morning, you can't bet against michetti!

Sit tight folks, all of today's videos are getting ready to load, and we're just turning bow numbers into names to get you the finish. But we can tell you now that the regatta leader is Team 93, followed by Bliksem and then Red...

Video is decent from today, we are working on some solutions for tomorrow's stuff. I think tonight we will do the Cocktail Hour with either Melges folks or maybe a "foredeck union" show.

So there is the most insane looking wally powerboat next to us that apparently belongs to the 300' russian powerboat around the corner. The wally was the russian owner's ten year old boy's birthday present. I love this place.

Finishes:

Team 93

Bliksem

Mascalzone Latino

Mataran

Fantasticaa

Red

Bagua

Pilot Italia

Opus One

Argo

Uka Uka

Joe Fly

Matrix

Sei Tu

Brantolo

Rush Diletta

Hublot

Barbarians

Calvi (WTF)

Torpyone

Black Mamba

Shakedown

Teasing Machine

I'Nova

Highlife

Lea

Framartina

Janas

With two boats tangled up just before the finish, kite around the backstay of another.

Damn that was hard to deal with. Amongst other things, our second RIB had a chewed up prop today, and the driver we hired just had a fistfight with the charter agent over it. Okay, videos almost up, and Im going to chase down people for today's show. We've got Bear Peet, Molly Baxter, and I don't know who else yet. Sit tight, we go live in an hour.

Finally! As we set up for the live show, have a look at some fun video. BTW, I just stopped by the Centro Sportivo where they are discussing how best to fix the chunks out of Hublot and Sei Tu's rigs, damaged when the boats tangled up on the final upwind leg of Race 2.

Race 1 Start:

Top Mark:

Gate:

I'll leave the rest for after the show. Live in 15 minutes.

http:www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy

Tell your friends.

Sorry about the shaky vids btw, fucking rough as hell out there.

Race 1 Finish:

Race 1 finish and second placed boat broaches on the approach to the finish ... shows these boats are a handful, on the edge

Getting more videos up as we speak, and I'll get the talk show up shortly as well. I thought it went really well, and am pretty stoked about it. But I'm more stoked for tomorrow, when Julie Howe, the Highlife chicks, and two or three more lovely sportboat babes are on camera.

Getting more videos up as we speak, and I'll get the talk show up shortly as well. I thought it went really well, and am pretty stoked about it. But I'm more stoked for tomorrow, when Julie Howe, the Highlife chicks, and two or three more lovely sportboat babes are on camera.

You better be nice to my little sister!!!! Say hello for me. Thanks,

Mike Howe

No problem, brother. She's a star. Here's a little shot of her from Max Ranchi, below the vids.

Finally!

Race 2 Start:

Race 2 Top Mark:

Race 2 Gate:

Race 2 Finish with major boat tangles:

Our RIB patron Lancarlo Cirella after a great day on the water. Check out his eyes; he's NUTS (and we're going to be on his Swan 100 tomorrow night...)

mime_attachment.jpeg

Just went through 650 pics from Mer today, some really sweet shit. Stay tuned for her slideshow.

I put a big gallery up at my PrintRoom Gallery for browsing and ordering if any of you are so inclined - rest assured any purchases go to preventing me from looking at this beat-up macbook any more! That new macbook pro is so shineeeeey

Thanks for checking them out!

Here's Mer's slideshow from today - lovely stuff from a lovely girl. Go to the Day 2 thread for archived footage from today's live show and of course for all the action tomorrow, as well as some incentives on gear from our sponsors. And don't forget about tomorrow's 100% live, uncut OTW Cocktail Hour on Justin TV - it's SAILOR CHICK INTERVIEW DAY!

xslide1.gif xslide2.gif xslide42.gif

Outstanding slideshow. I usually skim through the photos in your OTW coverage, but this new format is great. Love the music, and the photos are fantastic. The live round-table discussion was also well-done. Looks like an amazing venue. Keep up the good work!

No problem, brother. She's a star. Here's a little shot of her from Max Ranchi, below the vids.

Finally!

Race 2 Start:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Race 2 Top Mark:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Race 2 Gate:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQMhdcMBDE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQMhdcMBDE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQMhdcMBDE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Race 2 Finish with major boat tangles:

Our RIB patron Lancarlo Cirella after a great day on the water. Check out his eyes; he's NUTS (and we're going to be on his Swan 100 tomorrow night...)

Mr. Clean- Thanks so much for the pic of Julie! Her whole family is looking forward to watching the Chick Cocktail Hour discussion today!!! Thanks for keeping us connected!

Mike Howe Jr.