• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Day 5 - One and Done

Well, for those who've been following this event, I'd like to apologize for not getting more stuff up from the past two days. These 3-race days combined with the work involved in the live show make doing pretty much anything else impossible, and the upload speeds make life difficult as well. But it'll all make its way up over the next day or so, some 3 GB of video plus today has to get on the web.

Today we have Willem and George aboard from Bliksem to do the live commentary, and they're stoked and chipper despite the incredible hurt we all put on ourselves celebrating last night. It was fully raging, as you can imagine. Coach Morgan Reeser and Jeremy Wilmot were just hilarious - two lightweights raising a real ruckus.

We're heading out for the final race now - Results are here, and the battle for 2nd through 4th is a very real one. Recchi is only one point ahead of Uka Uka, with Joe Fly just 5 points behind them. If you don't think these guys are in a huge war for Italian supremacy, you've not been paying attention. Given the fact that Uka Uka is Michetti's other team (in the 24) and that Team 93 is finished racing the 32 for a year or two after this event, there is a lot on the line.

Stay tuned, and we'll get you all the action...

And so it goes. Uka Uka gets called OCS after a strong start, Joe Fly slips in at the boat end, and Matrix tacks away, goes to the right, and looks great on the fleet. Joe Fly stays on starboard with Team 93 well toward the pin end, sailing their own race. Now that there's no Uka to worry about, we'll see how Chicco Bruni works his magic.

Uh-oh...lefty and pressure on the left, and in an instant, Matrix, Joe Fly, Mascalzone looking VERY BAD. Bear to Willem: "Dude I am so glad we're not sailing..." "Word"

Man oh man, the mixup at the top in this light air was just brutal to watch. 93 came in from the left, tacked ahead of another boat, which altered course and pulled the flag out. McKee not fucking around after losing the regatta on the same move yesterday, and they did a circle underneath the parade, going so slow it took them a minute to get going, by which time most of the fleet passed them. But considering Uka Uka was OCS and somehow rounded in the top 5 or so, there is a LOT of racing left in this lottery breeze.

Opus One

Joe Fly

Torpyone

Matrix

Uka Uka

Hublot

Pilot Italia

Rush

Argo

Teasing Machine

Brantolo

Bitipi

Mataran

Janas

Mascalzone

High life

Fantasticaa

Framartina

Red

Calvi

Lea

Shakedown

Black Mamba

Sei Tu

Bagua

Barbarians

Setting up for the gate now. Luigi yelling at all the press boats for throwing wakes around, we were nice and far from the fleet thankfully. Getting yelled at once a regatta is enough.

And right now, Joe Fly and Uka Uka on points are fighting hard....if nothing changes. Chances of that happening = zero. Gate:

Opus One

Joe Fly

Matrix

Torpyone

Uka Uka

Argo

Hublot

Brantolo

Mataran

Pilot Italia

Teasing Machine

Rish Diletta

Bitipip

Mascalzone

Fantasaticaa

Highlife

Janas

Framartina

Red

Barbarians

Calvi

Black Mamba

Lea

Bagua

Shakedown

Sei Tu

I Nova

And right now, Joe Fly and Uka Uka on points are fighting hard....if nothing changes. Chances of that happening = zero. Gate:

Opus One

Joe Fly

Matrix

Torpyone

Uka Uka

Argo

Hublot

Brantolo

Mataran

Pilot Italia

Teasing Machine

Rish Diletta

Bitipip

Mascalzone

Fantasaticaa

Highlife

Janas

Framartina

Red

Barbarians

Calvi

Black Mamba

Lea

Bagua

Shakedown

Sei Tu

I Nova

And now for the shakeup. Joe Fly found something extra, Uka Uka lost something extra, and right now, the 2nd place overall belongs to Giovanni Maspero and Chicco Bruni.

Final Mark of Regatta:

Joe Fly

Opus

Matrix

Argo

Hublot

Torpyone

Uka Uka

Rush

Teasing Machine

Pilot Itlalia

Janas

Brantolo

Red

Framartina

Mascalzone

Fantaticaa

Bitipip

Black Mamba

Barbarians

Mataran

Calvi

Highlife

Shaketown

Bagua

Sei Tu

I Nove

Lea

And it looks like Joe Fly has done it! Putting exactly six boats between themselves and Uka Uka Racing, while Team 93 didn't get quite close enough to even stay on the podium. What a disappoinment for Recchi, Michetti, McKee - and all because of a high-risk, high-reward meaneuver that didn't pay, either yesterday or today. It paid the rest of the week, but not when it counted most.

FinishL:

Joe Fly

Matrix

Opus

Argo

Hublot

Torpyone

Uka Uka

Teasing Machine

Pilot Italia

Rush Diletta

Red

Janas

Brantolo

Mascalzone

Framartina

Fantasticaa

Barbarians

And then we left. Congratulations to all the racers, and big congrats to Bliksem, Joe Fly, and Uka Uka Racing for their victory. Also a huge congrats to Michetti for putting together this great event. As his dad said the other day, "You have already won, Fed"

Well done Clean and Mrs. Clean; great coverage and today excellent job keeping the news flowing with your posts. We're looking forward to those videos, especially if Bear and Willem are narrating today's vids. See you in Nap.

PS if your results are correct Argo should have improved two places catching Mascalzone and Bagua, no? If so great job, Jason, John, Molly, Chad etc. Way to go Team Larchmont!

Thanks Simon. I just finished a long talk with Molly, they are super stoked for themselves and for tuning partners Bliksem. She'll have a great front page story come tomorrow or Tuesday, and I've been promised that infamous "boy shorts" pic as well. I just don't know whether to share it or keep it for myself.

BTW, Molly is going to become a regular contributor to SA's front page too - she is an excellent writer and a great chick, and being tiny and hot as hell doesn't hurt either.

Don't forget to watch Cocktail Hour with the entire Bliksem crew and Harry Melges at 1535 local/1435 GMT, which is in about 45 minutes. Then we'll broadcast the awards ceremony live. Tell yer friends...

Then we'll get the videos uploading sometime after that from Day 4 and today. I've already added the final videos from Day 3 to that thread.

Not catalogued yet Simon. Tonight it'll all be done, and then I'll make a post that guides everyone through it all. Bliksem on live soon.

Clean...First off excellent work as always and kudos to Mer as well. I'm sitting in Michigan grilling hot dogs and sucking down a few cold ones, in addition to putting a land yacht away for the summer. Funny thing, that I found myself leaning forward in my computer chair to hike as I absorbed your great footage and photos. Amazing how following a yachting regatta half way around the world can be so real. Nice work. My question to you or anyone else reading, is: Given your committment and ability to follow such great regattas, I'm sure you have seen many amazing venues. If you wanted to take a nice vacation that involved a waterside venue (not necessarily to race), but a scenic, welcoming location to vacation within a yachting community, where would you recommend? A second question, what is your favorite venue to sail, race, observe, and party? If you don't mind even a ranking based on ROI would be nice.

Thanks again for keeping those of us informed on a world class event with world class coverage!

Clean...First off excellent work as always and kudos to Mer as well. I'm sitting in Michigan grilling hot dogs and sucking down a few cold ones, in addition to putting a land yacht away for the summer. Funny thing, that I found myself leaning forward in my computer chair to hike as I absorbed your great footage and photos. Amazing how following a yachting regatta half way around the world can be so real. Nice work. My question to you or anyone else reading, is: Given your committment and ability to follow such great regattas, I'm sure you have seen many amazing venues. If you wanted to take a nice vacation that involved a waterside venue (not necessarily to race), but a scenic, welcoming location to vacation within a yachting community, where would you recommend? A second question, what is your favorite venue to sail, race, observe, and party? If you don't mind even a ranking based on ROI would be nice.

Thanks again for keeping those of us informed on a world class event with world class coverage!

Thanks for the comments GL, and that's a great question with an easy answer. As much as I love Italy, I have to say that my top choice, assuming no aversion to long flights, is Sydney Harbour. My dream vacation would include spectating the beginning of the Hobart, grabbing a ride in one of the Audi events on the harbour, and chartering a boat to screw around with. It really is Mecca, and I love aussies.

The only place I can get internet right now is outside the bar we've been thrown out of, and they cut the power so I have no juice once this battery goes, and I can't load all the racing vid because the bandwidth won't allow it, but I think you'll enjoy very much this interview with the crew of Bliksem, who joined us for an OTWA Cocktail Hour today just before the opening ceremony. I love these guys.

Part 1:

Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv

Part 2:

Part 3:

We'll get the racing vids from yesterday and today up when we get some connection tomorrow from Cagliari, if possible. Or Rome tomorrow night. Thanks again for tuning in, and a huge thanks for the support for On-The-Water Anarchy from Point Loma Outfitting, Melges Europe, Melges Performance Sailboats, and the IM32CA. Without their support, we couldn't pull this stuff off, so check out their sites and let them know you appreciate their sponsorship of this kind of event. Thanks a million for watching, and for all the great comments. This has been spectacular.

From the closed dining room of a hotel in Rome, I've finally got a good enough connection to upload videos after compressing the hell out of them. I adore italy, but they are in the stone age when it comes to web infrastructure, even in Rome.

I thought you'd appreciate these shots from the other day; two of the winners and one of our newest Anarchy-sponsored team, Vincenzo Onorato's Mascalzone Latino. Vincenzo fucking loves SA.

MELGES_32_WORLDS___ml.jpg

MELGES_32_WORLDS___blixem__1_.jpg

MELGES_32_WORLDS___blixem__2_.jpg

Jesus Christ, that took a long time. I actually had to leave my laptop hidden behind a table here in the Hotel Regno bar to load it while Mer and I went and checked out the Vatican (creepy, and we missed the Sistine Chapel which closed at 4:00 for some insanely stupid reason), Spanish Steps (awesome, romantic, and a great place to make out like kids, who are making out all around), and Villa Medici (makes even the super wealthy of today look prole).

Anyway, here is the final race of the 2009 Melges 32 World Champs. We are almost done with our coverage, just in time to catch our flight back home (Roma-Fiumicino to Philly to Charlotte to Charleston), and tonight we'll finish up with the oh-so-hot Girls of Porto Cervo 2009, as well as a final slideshow from Day 5 and a full index of all the coverage of the Worlds.

Thanks again for tuning in, and if you'd like to see more of this stuff in the future, let our sponsors Point Loma Outfitting, Melges Europe and Melges Performance Sailboats know that you loved it!

Race 10 Start:

Race 10 Top Mark:

Race 10 Gate:

Race 10 Final Top Mark:

Race 10 Finish:

So, why didn't anyone tell me how hard it was to find decent internet in Italy? (smirk) Finally found a spot and got my shit together to put the slideshow from day 5 up.

And here's the link to my printroom galleries from the entire event.

I'll be adding a few more throughout the week.

This trip was exhausting, especially the last two nights. Those Bliksem boys and Barbarians wore me out...he he....sorry about the watch, Cocko, I SO was not meaning to steal it. I was...ummm..overserved.

xslide1.gif xslide2.gif

Another pic that deserves posting. The omnipresent "Terence McKnight" climbs Bliksem's rig after they clinched the victory.

terence.jpg

While I think the truly revealing shot was withheld from me, here is the boy shorts pic of Julie and Molly that I promised.

Weigh_in_picture_of_Molly___Julie.jpg

While I think the truly revealing shot was withheld from me, here is the boy shorts pic of Julie and Molly that I promised.

The objectification of Molly Baxter

The objectification of Molly Baxter

Molly has been overjoyed to have so much attention, as much for her skills and great results as for her looks and body. It's pretty awesome to have the whole package, and to have her embrace it all in front of the SA crowd.