Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Show Time

We're bringing On-The-Water Anarchy to the 40th Annual US Sailboat Show in Annapolis this week - by far the biggest and most important US show of the year for manufacturers, dealers, and distributors of sailing gear nationwide. Plus all those gypsies that sell amazing glue, George Foreman grills, Sailing World subscriptions, and flowbees to a captive audience of folks looking for shit they don't need at a great price.

All kidding aside, this show can make or break a company, and with boat shows failing all over the country and sales, exhibitors, and attendance down at those that are still alive, this one is definitely big for the industry. Will the numbers be down again? Will new boat orders improve? Are people buying anything at all in the US?

I'm headed North to find out, and as Andrew Dice Clay would say, "I've got a few...new...poems." This time, I'm lugging the big camera up to do some live video webcasting from the show. We'll do our usual interviews and boat walkthroughs, but our live broadcast of the OTW "Cocktail Hour" with the champs, owners, tacticians, and hot sailor chicks at the Melges 32 Worlds was such a hit that we've decided to reproduce it at the boat show. We don't know exactly who we've got on tap for you, and we don't know exactly where we're shooting it from, but there's always the Pusser's bar if that's what it comes to. Our live coverage will start with a press conference with Harken, where we are promised some extremely exciting announcements about new products from the big manufacturer. And then Thursday and Friday afternoon we'll be bringing you a one or two hour show with some of the industry's top dogs - about the state of the sailing industry, the new toys, and whatever the Anarchists are looking to find out.

So take a look at the exhibitor list, and if you've got a question about the boat show or an idea for someone who'd make a great guest, post 'em here. And if you're in the biz and want to share a drink with me and a few thousand SA'ers on live TV, let us know that too.

I'm also on a scouting trip for our upcoming 100% LIVE STREAMING coverage of the Melges 24 Worlds from Annapolis, which starts around the 21st of the month. While organizers are struggling to get to the 60-boat mark and there's still been no announcement about a title sponsor for this marquis event, the top 15 boats are among the most competitive on Earth, chock full of the sport's top pros and some of the best sailor chicks there are. And they all love SA...Meanwhile, our crew includes pro videographers, editors, and photographers as well as some real surprise guest commentators, so if you've got a house or boat that you can contribute to the effort, let us know. We've still got two or three slots open for folks looking to sponsor our coverage of what may be the most competitive keelboat event of the year, so if your company is looking for the world's best bargain in sailing exposure, drop us a line.

Thanks for the suggestion, TS. Maybe someone from CBYRA would want to sit on the talk show panel...Got any other ideas?

Jeff Jordan of JWorld Annapolis. He is the director and does a lot of stuff from getting new sailors on the water, new racers on the course, and class promotion... As well hes a hell of a guy.

Alan, say hi to Sam, Katie and Drew at Third Coast Composites - doing some great build work on the Mini-Transat. The up and comers can always use some publicity.

Hey Clean! How about heading over to either the Farr booth, if there is one, or Beneslow and see if they have any extra templates kicking around so we can put the AYC Fall thread to rest?

Nice one Will. I think I'll leave well enough alone - the 36.7 fleet seems to do a good enough job digging holes for themselves without me poking around. Besides, Chuck Norris made his own templates out of Adamantium with Kryptonite accents, and you just don't fuck with Chuck Norris's work; not if you want to live.

Clean, I am very interested in the j/97. Any chance you can check it out?

Any chance you could give us a look?

Done. I'll do a full walkthrough on camera and get comments from one of the johnstones. Anything specific you want to know?

Clean...how about some interviews across the spectrum?

Someone from beneteau/catalina/hunter, someone from melges/summit/etc.

Give me some ideas of what you'd like to know from BeneHunterLina folks.

be careful when and if you stop by the CBYRA booth its all volunteers so you might get a mixed bag there could be entertaining who knows...

as for the cruising fleet ask them where there market is headed. Are they seeing the light yet? big news this week is the RV world (which tends to be 6 months ahead of the months ahead of the boat market) that sales are increasing and look better for next year.

Done. I'll do a full walkthrough on camera and get comments from one of the johnstones. Anything specific you want to know?

I have a couple Q's about the J/97:

1) Is there access to the rudder post below the cockpit sole to attach a belowdecks autopilot ram? (I'm guessing no.)

2) Is that sissy bar across the transom strong enough and attached well enough to support the upper gudgeon for an emergency rudder?

3) What do the finished boats actually weigh? (Not the brochure weight - the real weight.)

Thanks!

Clean, I'm pretty certain you plan on visting with the folks at Melges. If you get a chance to talk with Andy or Harry can you please address the warranty issues going on with the Melges 20 (Mast, Rudder, Stancions) and what they are doing to correct them. I know there has been some growing pains, but it's been a year now. Also would love to get some feedback on moving production back to Zenda and if the pricing on the boat will come down any as a result. Thanks.

BS please enlighten me/us how moving production back state side would make it cheaper?! or am I missing something here and they are already made state side and thus the warranty / production issues?

Any pending orders/plans for the 36.7? I know Charleston Spar does not have any masts on order and has not shipped any since last fall, I believe...

Can't make the sailboat show but I am bring my little girl up for the power boat show.

See if this guy selling the Perfect Grill shows up:

Daniel appearing at the 2009 Strictly Sail Boat Show - April 2009

Or maybe this guy - Bob Bell selling Atomic Tape?

Withstands 5000 degrees of temperature! 1001 uses for colored tape.

And don't leave the show disappointed!

The Right Track luff tape mount bag system!

Mount, glue, or screw it in! Comes complete with GPS locator so you can find your pajamas in the middle of the night!

Well since you asked....

1. Make sure you make them say why you were or were not let on board.....?

2. If rod's harvard biz school case study is part of the marketing largesse that the company is pilfering?

okay now seriously...

where is it built?

What is the IRC number....?

would you cruise on it, but would you sink race or cruise this beast?

Whats the finishing like......is this a new england mafia beneslow 36.7?

Does it come with quantum sails from Tim Healy?

Thats enuff, and for the love of god try to be a real fuckin journalist this time...

Cheers....going to noroton, ct for a j/24 event, cant make the show...

Clean - here's another idea for your interviews with exhibitors... (based on this).. Rather than focus on the latest and greatest gear or "feature", ask them about how it ties into the sailing experience (and overall enjoyment) for customers. etc.

for the love of god try to be a real fuckin journalist this time...

A real journalist wouldn't ask a few thousand people for questions. Besides, my way is much more fun. Painkillers at noon, live show at 3. Woohoo!

And KK - that fucking rocks. You just gave me a whole new perspective. Thanks!

Will Beneslow be putting the first 35 on sale in the US anytime soon?

Have you scheduled the talk show yet? We may be able to arrange for the CBYRA Prez or VP to attend.

Mount, glue, or screw it in! Comes complete with GPS locator so you can find your pajamas in the middle of the night!

That's awesome stuff KK.

It's funny how they all had an "oh shit" moment when you threw them the random (yet still relevant) curve ball.

It'd be cool to see more of those type of videos. Good work!

A real journalist wouldn't ask a few thousand people for questions. Besides, my way is much more fun. Painkillers at noon, live show at 3. Woohoo!

Sounds like it will be interesting. haha. Don't forget your Anarchy t-shirt launcher...

As for shenanigans, It'd be funny to stage an Anarchy "Race Team" (don't forget the t-shirts) on one of the Beneslows and just put it thru the motions to "test it to see how it might perform on the race course" even though it's just sitting there. (think Borat type skit)

Seriously though, it'd be nice to see someone try to be innovative in covering the show and the people who enjoy it.

Sounds like it will be interesting. haha. Don't forget your Anarchy t-shirt launcher...

As for shenanigans, It'd be funny to stage an Anarchy "Race Team" (don't forget the t-shirts) on one of the Beneslows and just put it thru the motions to "test it to see how it might perform on the race course" even though it's just sitting there. (think Borat type skit)

Seriously though, it'd be nice to see someone try to be innovative in covering the show and the people who enjoy it.

I'll do the best I can, though I'm a one man show at the moment so my creativity is going to be limited by minutes in a day. And I have to replace my alternator in the morning and then pack up a Melges 24, so instead of getting there nice and early tomorrow evening, I'll probably be crashing on the interstate and rolling in just as I have to set up for the Harken press conference (live at 10:30 EST Thursday morning) and then run around like a crazy person all day until I do the live show, which I think I'll target for 3:30 pm, just as people are tired of working. I'll shove the vids I do during the day into the feed - "let's go to the videotape" - and then finish up with a half hour or forty minutes with whoever I can grab for the day, both Thursday and Friday. I'd love someone from CBYRA, an anarchists's mom is going to chat with me about the "take a vet sailing" thing, Dave Ullman's going to pop in, and whoever else we can rustle up. Drop me an email with "Boat Show" in the subject so I know it's a priority if you want to come by. I don't even know where I'm doing it from yet.

Oh, and there's a "watch it later" button on the Justin.TV page that lets you restart it whenever you want, like TiVo.

Clean, considering I've recently scratched the 36.7 off my list of possible boats for next year and not being able to make it up this year, any chance of doing a walk through of the Summit 35? Get comments on fit/finish of the Edgewater built boats? Maybe Mark will be around to talk about the design...

J/97 IRC is 0.978 for one racing in the UK, depends on the sail configuration of course. The baot has won a lot on that rating including overall IRC at Cowes Week. My caveat is that at that rating she's racing in one of the lower classes and the class of the crew aboard it has been way ahead of the competition. That said the boat was designed with IRC in mind and she is very competitve. At the rating above she's a few ticks below a Corby 29.

Clean - be interesting to see if you can speak to any prospective new boat buyers - what's their logic for a new boat vs used, second hand market is in dire straights and cost to trade up to a new boat is high, can they sell their boat to buy new etc. Also to grab a few sailors and ask if their racing plans for 2010 are bigger/smaller than 2009

I'll get plenty of time with M24s in a few weeks. In fact, I'm going to be so sick of M24s after worlds that I won't even look at one for a while. until Davis Island, anyway ;)

how about a comparo on the 2 minis, build impressions by you (not the builders), what is the actual in-water weight of each, get a number that the builder could be held to later on.

Both boats have experienced designers behind them, so a large part of the difference comes down to how well the builder actually understands minis and has mini experience.

I'll do the best I can, though I'm a one man show at the moment so my creativity is going to be limited by minutes in a day. And I have to replace my alternator in the morning and then pack up a Melges 24, so instead of getting there nice and early tomorrow evening, I'll probably be crashing on the interstate and rolling in just as I have to set up for the Harken press conference (live at 10:30 EST Thursday morning) and then run around like a crazy person all day until I do the live show, which I think I'll target for 3:30 pm, just as people are tired of working. I'll shove the vids I do during the day into the feed - "let's go to the videotape" - and then finish up with a half hour or forty minutes with whoever I can grab for the day, both Thursday and Friday. I'd love someone from CBYRA, an anarchists's mom is going to chat with me about the "take a vet sailing" thing, Dave Ullman's going to pop in, and whoever else we can rustle up. Drop me an email with "Boat Show" in the subject so I know it's a priority if you want to come by. I don't even know where I'm doing it from yet.

As Commodore of the Langley Yacht Club, I would love to hear more about the Take a Vet Sailing thing. We hold a Vet Cup regatta every year in Hampton Va and are always looking for ways to improve the tie to the Military Vet. We are kicking around a lot of ideas and this sounds interesting..Thanks BTW...I will be at the Boat Show Fri and Sat.

Sitting in a truck stop somewhere in North Carolina, sending in some front page stuff, and just having a quick look at the thread. All great ideas, and I'll get to every one of them. Thanks again.

Oh, and keep an eye on this thread to find out where we are broadcasting from, and swing by to share a drink or a chat. Especially chicks - I'm single this weekend ;)

Just leave your illegal substances at home - If I go to jail again, Mer will never let me leave the house without her again!

Clean,

What are you doing Monday? I am flying in for the day and would like to buy you a Painkiller.

MS

Clean

Last year you did a great piece with Selden; more of that would be awesome; you know the block suppliers what's changed improved etc.

Also, the K650 as I understand IS IN TOWN. They are built just up the road but because they all get shipped stateside, well the first few, we've yet to see one in person. I udnerstand it is very well made; a full review from a sportboater like yourself of how it is set up, what you like about it etc etc features - as the 6.5m size market hots up this is something really interesting.

Have fun, I heard the harken fashion show is also worth shooting.

:-)

Yep, just looked and sure enough Yum Boats is an exhibitor. Thanks for the note mate - this is a first time for the K650 in the US, and I'll certainly go over it with a fine-toothed comb!

Clean

Last year you did a great piece with Selden; more of that would be awesome; you know the block suppliers what's changed improved etc.

Also, the K650 as I understand IS IN TOWN. They are built just up the road but because they all get shipped stateside, well the first few, we've yet to see one in person. I udnerstand it is very well made; a full review from a sportboater like yourself of how it is set up, what you like about it etc etc features - as the 6.5m size market hots up this is something really interesting.

Have fun, I heard the harken fashion show is also worth shooting.

:-)

+ 1

Yum Boats K650

One more

Would like to see coverage of you on the water on this ride

Where does it fit amongst other sportboats in same space?

A piece on Company, Clubs etc that did not make it through the recession or are missing from the show. I saw recently that Alden may not be with us anymore. Who else?

Try to grab new or proposed boat proposals or take pics of their pics that they are displaying.

Catalina - Check out the new 45, Some new things, It will have a cored hull from the waterline on up. There is also an optional sprit. I think it is fixed not sure. That also means potential for A sails including a continuous furling flat cut A sail....

Navy - See if the Academy is displaying there new training boats. Pedrick design TPI Built.

Hunter / Catalina - Any new small boat offerings planed. Not much new in that area in several years. Are they done with the small boat area?

Innerview with Summit all three of em. Especially Mark Mills.

Beneteau 35 - Any racing wins yet? First 40 same question. If they are going to bring the bene 35 to the US do they have a price. Current base boat is 96k Euros.

Alerion 45 might be interesting for a short segment if one is at the show.

Jboats - Who is going to build their boats in the future or is everything going to be built in Europe and China

Multihauls - anything that is new.

NYYC 42 Swan - DOA and used prices falling?

Moorings etc - Charter hows business? Getting rid of boats cheap?

C&C 133 is it going to happen?

IF you do end up in Jail could you rate your stay compared to other Jails you have been in?

Alan, two words of advice: 1) don't puke up on your sponsors at the evening receptions (Ed. would never forgive you for that one) and 2) stay outta jail, but if you do get canned, hide the video camera and cell phone so you can YouTube and Twitter us from inside...

Listen to some guy from Harken talk about winches or stab myself in the head with a dull screw driver........ hmmmm

Listen to some guy from Harken talk about winches or stab myself in the head with a dull screw driver........ hmmmm

Oh come on now. New, lighter shit ain't bad. Plus this is our dry run.

Great to hear you are in the area Clean. I am half tempted to actually attend the Boat Show considering you will be there. Then again I don't have a death wish in regards to navigating downtown boatshow traffic.

Regardless, enjoy yourself.

WetHog :ph34r:

Hey Clean!

I went looking for you and didn't see you - can you point to where you are in this photo?

Great day for sailing if anyone can get out.

BTW - the show looks smaller

post-9077-1255022728_thumb.jpg

Hey Clean!

I went looking for you and didn't see you - can you point to where you are in this photo?

Looks way smaller than I remember it being when I was a kid. Back in the day it seemed you could walk the entire harbor, boat to boat, it was so packed in there. Not anymore.

WetHog :ph34r:

Hello, Could you please stop by the Summit Yachts display and post some pictures of the new Summit 35 and the Summit 40 - The Mills designs should be really interesting and the new 35 will be really fast.

thank you,

L. Stowe

Looks way smaller than I remember it being when I was a kid. Back in the day it seemed you could walk the entire harbor, boat to boat, it was so packed in there. Not anymore.

Yeah, they've been getting progressively smaller and smaller in recent years. Chicago the past two years have been scarce, this year especially so. Sad to see, really.

My first impression was WTF, did I show up a day early and it isn't done yet?

Yeah, they've been getting progressively smaller and smaller in recent years. Chicago the past two years have been scarce, this year especially so. Sad to see, really.

Hello, Could you please stop by the Summit Yachts display and post some pictures of the new Summit 35 and the Summit 40 - The Mills designs should be really interesting and the new 35 will be really fast.

thank you,

L. Stowe

No prob LS, I am posting a video of the Summit 35 in a few minutes - pretty disappointing overall. Headed back to the show in a few.

Will Beneslow be putting the first 35 on sale in the US anytime soon?

Bennie 35 will be here soon. Plus a more sporty and light 30 designed by Juan K and targeted at under 100k. No shit.

So here is the link to the first clip of yesterday's Cocktail Hour. Just press "next clip" when each finishes, they are about 15 minutes each and there are six of them. The final clip has all the video I shot during the day, including Summit 35 walkthrough, First 40, Minis, the sexiest RIBs ever, and more, which I'm posting to Youtube as well.

And here's the Harken press conference, where they announced an entirely new line of winches. Lighter, stronger, doesn't need lubrication (well, mostly) and same price as previous generation. Pretty cool.

Get the scoop on the J111 from the horses mouth. Interview with the Johnstone fella would be great.

Ask if they'll have a nice fat carbon fiber wheel as an option like the 122.

Goooooood times.

DG

Hey Clean!

WOW, It does look smaller than years past. even as recently as a few years ago I remember there being way more boats packed in there than how it appears in the pic

A surprisingly upbeat report from Gunboat do-it-all chick Rachel Jasperson.

Here's the Summit 35:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Clean, anyone there from Farr? Can we get an update on the Farr 25 one-design. When can we expect to see her sailing?

Here's the Summit 35:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Clean, anyone there from Farr? Can we get an update on the Farr 25 one-design. When can we expect to see her sailing?

Bill O'Malley from Farr will be on the live show today at 4:00. Also, I am leaving to pick up my co-host for today's show - the lovely Katie Burns.

Good bit on the Summit 35.

Ya got to go back and interview Barry Carrol. You know what to ask.

Thought your Summit 35 run-through wasn't your best effort - disjointed & too cursory with sloppy camera work with to boot. I know you're just hand-holding, but when you're expecting folks to view it and you spend more time with the camera pointing at the halyard organizers than the keel attachment, it's not very useful.

Backstay Battery !? How do they justify THAT ? - I take it that's ANOTHER stored-energy system ?

Thanks for the on-the-water look at the show, but you've done better Mr. C.

HINT:

NEVER NEVER not EVER use the camera to "see".

Don't just hold it up to your eye and look around.

I've had to edit stuff shot that way and I almost got seasick.

Thought your Summit 35 run-through wasn't your best effort - disjointed & too cursory with sloppy camera work with to boot. I know you're just hand-holding, but when you're expecting folks to view it and you spend more time with the camera pointing at the halyard organizers than the keel attachment, it's not very useful.

Backstay Battery !? How do they justify THAT ? - I take it that's ANOTHER stored-energy system ?

Thanks for the on-the-water look at the show, but you've done better Mr. C.

Just got back from the show, and I gotta say, it was thin. Not as many exhibitors, not as much dock space and a lot of water showing where in past years a boat would be wedged in. Mostly the usual stuff with Beneteaus, Catalinas, Island Piglets, Sabres JBoats, but a lot of stalwarts from past years sat this one out. Not a whole lot of interest to racers beyond the King 35 and 40. King 40 looked like a nice boat, but it's not that much different than the 40.7 or the new First 40, seems aimed at the IRC market, and you know what that means. There was an M 20 and the Juan K650, but no one was kicking their tires. Crowds were good, very solid, but maybe the reduction in floating docks made it seem crowded. Not a compelling show.

Hang on - going live with Jeff Johnstone, Nick Hayes, Bill O'Malley, and Bob Howe right now - with Katie Burns co-hosting!

Hang on - going live with Jeff Johnstone, Nick Hayes, Bill O'Malley, and Bob Howe right now - with Katie Burns co-hosting!

Just got through watching the first four clips - the background noise was off putting at first but got better. Great work on getting some press for the Minis - some good questions and interesting viewpoints from the panel. Looking forward to watching them all tonight, it's not as good as being there but it's better than nothing!

Wind Direction (WDIR): SSW ( 200 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD): 15 kts

Wind Gust (GST): 16 kts

Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.74 in

Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.02 in ( Falling )

Air Temperature (ATMP): 74.7 °F

Water Temperature (WTMP): 67.5 °F

Dew Point (DEWP): 67.8 °F

WX is PERFECT for a night sail and I am stuck at f'n work :(

Is it as least good drinkin' weather ?

Is it as least good drinkin' weather ?

Damned straight it is, at least judging from my headache right now. I somehow remember naked melges chicks and midnight swimming last night, but everything is a bit foggy.

Here's the first clip of our live show yesterday. It is a fucking great conversation, I think. Let me know what you think!

The link is here, and you can watch the entire 80 minute show by pressing "next clip" at the end of each 15 minute clip.

Clean, Hit up Cuyler Morris and check out his new M27 along with the M36, 42 & 52 all there at show.

... I hung out at Pusser's Dockside Bar yesterday (aka; the corner office) and I didn't see one hint of Clean. Did you have someone fetch you're painkillers?

Nice day at the show yesterday, today is a bit cool but bearable. Lots of folks mentioned the economy and a drop off in vendor attendance. Any word on the yachting portion of that stimulus pakage? :) Seriously though, people are spending.

All is good, we supported the local economy by pouring our assets into the bartenders rent relief fund... Good times...

i have seen clean at least three our four times at the show he sticks out like a soar thumb!!! and yes boat numbers are down i would say a solid one third from last year.. very depressing really. there were some very nice boats that were there though. the end of one dock with the melges 20, LS 30, and mini's and other sporty small boats was a great spot but it also shows were the real boat interest lies as there where not a ton of people walking out there checking things out

Got tons of great vid with some excellent folks, the best being nearly 20 minutes with Gino Morrelli from Melvin and Morrelli about all kinds of cool shit, including his take on the AC.

But going to bed so I can it the road at 5 AM, will load all vids from the verizon card on the road. Good times.

Hey Yachtdog - actually, I did have someone getting me drinks! And sorry I didn't get to meet more people. I did get to know a few great folks, and that's always fun.

Here's the CRAB video - the Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating folks. I don't think it loaded before. Interview subject said, "Boy, you ARE obnoxious!"

Pretty sexy racer/cruiser, 65' Tripp, Gucci as!

Saw this boat in Maine a coupla weeks after it launched. Looked very nice on the water.

Bruce Schwab with the new Lithium something or other battery, very cool if pricey toy, plus some news on Ocean Planet and solo racing!

A quick walkthrough of the Beneteau First 40, which I actually quite liked. I've said for a long time that Beneteau builds a hell of a lot of cruiser/racer for the money, and while this one probably ain't as cool as the coming Beneteau that we learned about this weekend - the 100,000$, 10 meter sportboat designed by JuanK that's coming - it's still a hell of a lot of boat for a good price, and the interior is sweet. Those damned toerails gotta go though!

Accomplished mini sailor Katie Ambach from 3rd Coast Composites, builder of the Eko 650:

A good little shitfight between Beta Marine and Cabo Rico Yachts:

And I finally got a chance to see the Weta, and I LOVED it!

Now that I am home I've got another 16 videos loading on youtube. Some extremely interesting interviews and products, if you can't wait til the morning go to my youtube channel to see what's there. Goodnight all.

I am enjoying this. takes some getting used to.

I am curious what the rumors and confirmed stuff is regarding who is still with us and what firms/brands are on the auction block. That is really what people love about Clean. He can really dig up the dirt.

I am stunned that Weta has sold that many boats. That might just be the next big club boat. Kinda funny how that happens. I saw that design when it wasn't even colored in! strictly line with some metric numbers. Thought it would sell about three boats.

Summit - lousy build quality, Is it just the interior or the entire boat?

I like seeing that Boothbay built 65. That is pretty cool to see something like that built in Maine.