Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blur

J/111

they say its not desinged to a rating rule... might be interesting for a change.

still has the sail controls split on either side of the cabin instead of having all the clutches in the middle. looks like, similar to the 109, it might be a wheel only boat. Foredeck looks spacious, but the pit looks like it might be cramped like the 109?below deck furler would be nice. Hopefully the wheel is recessed.

Hopefully it can be retrofitted with a tiller, or better yet, have an option for it. I hate the wheel only mentality with production race boats.

What a surprise - looks just like every other j boat designed over the last 15 years. But its still nice, they will sell a bunch of them and I want one! Agree about the tiller - hope it can be fitted with one.

the bastard love child of a J125 and an X35

WOOOF!

I'd shag it.

It's a sportboat The J/111 is the latest “sport boat” one-design from the company who introduced modern-day sprit sailing to the keelboat world (J/105 in 1991). so take the discussion to sportboat anarchy!! :lol:

Exactly this is lead mine anarchy what is a boat like this doing here?

I am very surprised if this really is a Non-IRC rule beater. The boat is going to be very price sensitive. But doesn't it look good?

Just looking at the picture you can make out a deep T keel. Wonder if it is retractable as an option. If the price is right they could sell like the 105.

Exactly this is lead mine anarchy what is a boat like this doing here?

I am very surprised if this really is a Non-IRC rule beater. The boat is going to be very price sensitive. But doesn't it look good?

Just looking at the picture you can make out a deep T keel. Wonder if it is retractable as an option. If the price is right they could sell like the 105.

That T keel has a hideously wide chord though, which is one thing that makes me think it's just usual j boat hype. I hope it is quick though. There is a distinct difference in the hull shape on this and any j boat I have seen except maybe the 125.

Builders are rolling out their cheap offerings. Beneteau's new 35, farr design is at 96k Euros. For this boat to be sucessful it has to be almost cheap. Are you guys sure this is not aimed at IRC and this is all not sales hype? Because I can not think of a single performance boat launch that has seen success since the X-35 that was not dead on for IRC in this size range.

What a surprise - looks just like every other j boat designed over the last 15 years. But its still nice, they will sell a bunch of them and I want one! Agree about the tiller - hope it can be fitted with one.

Looks very Un-J Boatish to me.

What a surprise - looks just like every other j boat designed over the last 15 years.

Open your eyes dude. This looks nothing at all like the other J Boats.

Change the pointy window and yeah, it's just another J boat. Hold off till you see it on the water and it's results, you could probably beat it's ass with a M-24 around the bouys

Looks great (and I'd take one) but what will it cost and what are the specs? No mention of a carbon rig despite the claims about applying technology where technology counts. Hope it's not built with a sump keel config.

Looks like the cries for a smaller 125 with a 36.7 interior have finally been answered.

Regardless, I'm waiting for the J112 to come out.

J111_575px.jpg

Looks like the next Blur... http://www.jboats.com/j111/

Any inside info?

Please tell J to do a tiller option and one with primary winches the phuket out of the way of the main trimmer...

X35 meets J125 like I say.

what's it displace? That's not a little kid-on chine on the quarter is it?

Looks like it may actually, gosh, plane.

More park life for Blur then.....

Change the pointy window and yeah, it's just another J boat. Hold off till you see it on the water and it's results, you could probably beat it's ass with a M-24 around the bouys

It's not just the ports in the house. The hull form appears different, especially how soft the bilges are near the stern.

Plus, how many J's have you seen with a straight fin and T bulb keel?

Resembles an Aerodyne 38 more than a J.

I'd like to see a Melges beat it boat for boat around a windward leeward course. Doubtful for sure.

Front page of SA is reporting base cost around $225k. That could make this boat sell... Base for the Summit 35 was 245k. Well lets see what that boat comes with at 225k and just how well Jboats can get Clubs and race organizations to dig up 5 or 6 buyers for one design fleets.

This might just work!

Hopefully it can be retrofitted with a tiller, or better yet, have an option for it. I hate the wheel only mentality with production race boats.

Agreed, tiller would be nice on a boat like this, looks like the Summit 35 has both options. Nice to see J-Boats going back to the raceboat mentality on this one.

specs on the front page...

And the dream ends..... 8600 lbs. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

WTF is wrong with 8600 LBS on a 36 foot boat? D/L = 110

Nothing, if it was designed in 1999.

Make the stick 2meters taller and it'd be fine.

What's wrong with it? It doesn't have to be that slow, that's what's wrong. You can always reduce sail area, never increase it. Why are people afraid of reefs and #3's?

Like he said 3901 kgs

this puppy is no going anywhere even with 130m2 spa

what does Mumm 36 weigh?

this thing is about 1000kg overweight

What's wrong with it? It doesn't have to be that slow, that's what's wrong. You can always reduce sail area, never increase it. Why are people afraid of reefs and #3's?

3m... Remember it's always 3m.....

I can't believe I'm the first?!!

What's it Rate?

Does it go to 11?

funnily enough it will rate about 1.110

3m... Remember it's always 3m.....

OK, 3m. And that's the point, you have two or three functional reef points. Main built to that way will last longer anyway. Trimmer just needs to be better at their job to handle it in the light.

This screams miniature 122 and I bet that if you stuck a less radical keel on the 111 that it would be a killer under IRC.

j122.jpg

Same sail plan and rudder design (so it appears)

J122-sailplanth.jpg

After doing more looking my initial opinion stands: It looks fast and I want one

This screams miniature 122 and I bet that if you stuck a less radical keel on the 111 that it would be a killer under IRC.

j122.jpg

J122-sailplanth.jpg

After doing more looking my initial opinion stands: It looks fast and I want one

You must be hording the good weed. Those hulls look nothing alike

It's a sportboat The J/111 is the latest "sport boat" one-design from the company who introduced modern-day sprit sailing to the keelboat world (J/105 in 1991). so take the discussion to sportboat anarchy!! :lol:

LOL! The specs thing says it'll go upwind at 7 knots and hit double digits off the wind. That makes it almost as fast as my old F-27, and at only 7x the price! :P (Taking it to mulithull anarchy)

Like he said 3901 kgs

what does Mumm 36 weigh?

4900 kg for a 109.,,,,it will at least surf a little earlier than a 109

move dem dar winches mr johnson, shiiieet giv me a darn stick to waggle too ya darn yankee

j122.jpg

J122-sailplanth.jpg

There's less wetted surface on the 111 and the keel has a torpedo at the bottom. But the high freeboards, slight chine at the transom, mostly plumb bow and such are all still there.

Yep, looks good. My first reaction was "Oh a J111, that'll be $300K. So $225 could be a competitive price depending on what's included. I'd take this hands down over a 109 for a lot less it seems.

I want one, now where did I put that cash?

Like he said 3901 kgs

what does Mumm 36 weigh?

A mumm is about 8200 lbs. with similar SA. What else is on the market that is lighter and has better numbers? And don't say the Santa Cruz 37!

Like he said 3901 kgs

what does Mumm 36 weigh?

A mumm is about 8200 lbs. with similar SA. What else is on the market that is lighter and has better numbers? And don't say the Santa Cruz 37!

The Mumm was designed in 1993. That is almost twenty freaking years ago.

Farr 36- 6300 lbs. 2001 design - 225k new

T35 - 7500 lbs. 2001 design - Talk to the owner if you want to know the $

Not as fast as the J-111 Mark II due out next year... THAT is the one everyone will want.

Note to J-Boats; The lame spec document looks like a high school composed Word document. Please put some creativity into your graphic materials for it may reflect similarly on your products.

There's less wetted surface on the 111 and the keel has a torpedo at the bottom. But the high freeboards, slight chine at the transom, mostly plumb bow and such are all still there.

The volume forward is dramatically less with a much finer entry. The bilge turn is completely different as well. Those hulls are fairly substantially different. The 122 has that J boat pregnant whale underbody, this one not so much.

If they could knock $50-70k off the price of the thing, I bet they'd be selling 100s of these things. As it stands, $225k = closer to $275-300k on the water. Pretty spendy in this market...

I'll stick to my 7ksb at roughly a tenth of that for now. :P

Sure looks like a J to me! Same house and leading edge of the cabin as a J100, same lines, only 6 feet longer.

Or as my dear departed grandpappy was fond of saying: "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

When they start buildin' the J-90 (again), then let's talk.

4900 kg for a 109.,,,,it will at least surf a little earlier than a 109

Vs the 109: 1000 kg less, 20 sqm more spin and 40% vs 35% ballast

is exactly what we need to get moving doublehanded.

Now we're really struggling... :lol:

3640987368_b60430c38a_m.jpg

With the roller furling jib I guess that this boat will run into the same issues the 122's are having with being able to switch out different headsails for W/L racing. Still looks good on paper to me.

I bet a handful of guys buy one and race it really well with IRC/PHRF sails and the JBoats step in and make the boat boring to sail in a OD configuration.....Like they did with the 109

Just seems a little strange solution for the stated problem. If you want a boat that can be sailed by two, you want a boat that can be sailed by one (so the other can be doing something sometimes).

Therefore, where is the self tacking jib? Seems like a no-brainer, but not there.

Why have the winches outboard of the seats, so nobody can really get to them? Put them behind the helm, so the helmsman can reach everything. You only need the "primaries" when the chute is up anyway (since its a self tacking job).

Why have the control lines at the pit, instead of aft? Hardly need any: furler, outhaul, ... Put them aft, like on a Soling or something. Makes the dodger, and the party seats forward, a lot more friendly.

And why have a T keel when the ocean is so full of kelp, pots, and garbage? Seems a really bad idea if you don't have a rule. A 12' deep retracting to 6' keel, with 30 degrees sweep, will beat any 7 foot deep keel, and won't foul.

And why have the retracting pole? Always seemed lame -- its really heavy, a big source of leaks, takes up interior space, and is WAY TOO SHORT. Instead, just have a decent sized (like 15 to 20 feet) removable sprit like on a Aussie 18. Takes a minute to put on after you leave the dock or before you return so you don't pay by the foot every month, but its cheaper, lighter, and faster. DUH.

And what is with the backstay? Any 1D35 masts ever come down due to no backstay? Didn't think so. Save weight and structure aft (that means cheaper), way more friendly, and gives a nice square top main that auto-feathers in the puffs. DUH. Again, makes the boat cheaper, faster, easier to sail with less people.

Seems like yet another follow-the-crowd boat with so many shortcomings you'll want to buy a new and different one soon: e.g., the 112, as someone said.

anything else wrong ??

Just seems a little strange solution for the stated problem. If you want a boat that can be sailed by two, you want a boat that can be sailed by one (so the other can be doing something sometimes).

Therefore, where is the self tacking jib? Seems like a no-brainer, but not there.

Why have the winches outboard of the seats, so nobody can really get to them? Put them behind the helm, so the helmsman can reach everything. You only need the "primaries" when the chute is up anyway (since its a self tacking job).

Why have the control lines at the pit, instead of aft? Hardly need any: furler, outhaul, ... Put them aft, like on a Soling or something. Makes the dodger, and the party seats forward, a lot more friendly.

And why have a T keel when the ocean is so full of kelp, pots, and garbage? Seems a really bad idea if you don't have a rule. A 12' deep retracting to 6' keel, with 30 degrees sweep, will beat any 7 foot deep keel, and won't foul.

And why have the retracting pole? Always seemed lame -- its really heavy, a big source of leaks, takes up interior space, and is WAY TOO SHORT. Instead, just have a decent sized (like 15 to 20 feet) removable sprit like on a Aussie 18. Takes a minute to put on after you leave the dock or before you return so you don't pay by the foot every month, but its cheaper, lighter, and faster. DUH.

And what is with the backstay? Any 1D35 masts ever come down due to no backstay? Didn't think so. Save weight and structure aft (that means cheaper), way more friendly, and gives a nice square top main that auto-feathers in the puffs. DUH. Again, makes the boat cheaper, faster, easier to sail with less people.

Seems like yet another follow-the-crowd boat with so many shortcomings you'll want to buy a new and different one soon: e.g., the 112, as someone said.

You completely missed the point of the boat. To reply to this post would be a waste of my time. I'm just going to ignore it instead.

anything else wrong ??

I wish he would tell us what he really thinks!

It's a sportboat The J/111 is the latest "sport boat" one-design from the company who introduced modern-day sprit sailing to the keelboat world (J/105 in 1991). so take the discussion to sportboat anarchy!! :lol:

LOL! The specs thing says it'll go upwind at 7 knots and hit double digits off the wind. That makes it almost as fast as my old F-27, and at only 7x the price! :P (Taking it to mulithull anarchy)

Wow, it only took them 25 years to make a 35-36 J Boat that MAY be faster than a J-35!

can't wait to go by it downwind in our tiger. maybe upwind too!

the ft is at a critical point - stevens and hiptrader have seemingly disappeared without even bothering with an explanation or a hint about the future.

Don't you have rudder issues (issues of the month) to go try to figure out? And a forum of your very own to try to save?

but, one downer with the tiger is that you need a chase boat to pick up all the shit that falls off as you go roaring by... :ph34r: ....

Wow, it only took them 25 years to make a 35-36 J Boat that MAY be faster than a J-35!

+1

remove the slash in the first instance of

. It should read:

Wow, it only took...

Anyway, the one phrase that sticks out in their literature is "low wetted surface hull" which is different than most (all?) other Js.

In general, a shape with low wetted surface area doesn't surf or plane very readily unless the weight is kept very low. When I read "low wetted surface hull" I imagine 12 Meter as opposed to Volvo 70.

Anyway, the one phrase that sticks out in their literature is "low wetted surface hull" which is different than most (all?) other Js.

In general, a shape with low wetted surface area doesn't surf or plane very readily unless the weight is kept very low. When I read "low wetted surface hull" I imagine 12 Meter as opposed to Volvo 70.

I read "Low wetted surface" as "Less wetted surface"

the ft is at a critical point - stevens and hiptrader have seemingly disappeared without even bothering with an explanation or a hint about the future.

Don't you have rudder issues (issues of the month) to go try to figure out? And a forum of your very own to try to save?

it's actually not my forum, nor mine to save. it has been paid for by the builder. and no, i don't have any rudder issues. in fact, it seems pretty fucking good from where i sit. please be sure to share what kind of boat you own...

It's not just the ports in the house. The hull form appears different, especially how soft the bilges are near the stern.

Plus, how many J's have you seen with a straight fin and T bulb keel?

Resembles an Aerodyne 38 more than a J.

I'd like to see a Melges beat it boat for boat around a windward leeward course. Doubtful for sure.

I agree.. i would say the A43

VERY nice looking boat..

post-31705-1255049743_thumb.jpg.

it's actually not my forum, nor mine to save. it has been paid for by the builder. and no, i don't have any rudder issues. in fact, it seems pretty fucking good from where i sit. please be sure to share what kind of boat you own....

touche.jpg

As the result of being so insufferable, Richie has been kicked off more boats

than all the Nailing Malarkey's sock puppets that have been flicked off SA forum.

He either matches or exceeds Mr. Clean's arrest record on Mackinac Island.

curious to see how it does against the summit 35 on the race course. They could learn a lot by simply looking at the interior and cockpit layout of that boat... The pit on the 111, while just a rendering, still looks too small.

edit: SA/D is about 5points higher than the 109 (in OD config i guess, no idea in PHRF config which is where i know the boat better) which should be nice. Oh, and we fly a 138sqm kite on the 109, this thing is 2meters longer... they should be able to fly a larger kite than me! :rolleyes:

So you would rather lean towards a ULDB, fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the design features/specs of this boat. If you want plane all the time/have to be 20 knot capable/its blowing 10 knots why aren't we going 11/I have ADD and thus need to see the speedo move up all the time, then go design a boat that suits you. Your reasoning/taste in boats is flawed.

Will Museler

it's actually not my forum, nor mine to save. it has been paid for by the builder. and no, i don't have any rudder issues. in fact, it seems pretty fucking good from where i sit. please be sure to share what kind of boat you own....

touche.jpg

than all the Nailing Malarkey's sock puppets that have been flicked off SA forum.

Are you really that stupid to bring up crew issues George? I guess so. I'm quite happy with whom I sail.

Go back to your FT forum and keep helping to destroy the 'class'.

It seems that Scooter has the same appreciation for crew as you. Only owner's comments are welcome. Or valued. " What boat do you own?" Who gives a flying fuck? Is that the first thing you guys ask when begging for crew? Dipshits...Welcome is a too broad term. They're only welcome as long as they don't call into question any of the many faults those Walmart pieces of dog shit are inherently doomed to live with.

Now ,both of you toddle on back to the Republic of Crap and Georgie can roll around in all the chinkshit he feels worthy of. Or, you could ad to that great Bene/ American Y C thread. You and Espo in the same thread. Priceless. Shoo now.

So you would rather lean towards a ULDB, fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the design features/specs of this boat. If you want plane all the time/have to be 20 knot capable/its blowing 10 knots why aren't we going 11/I have ADD and thus need to see the speedo move up all the time, then go design a boat that suits you. Your reasoning/taste in boats is flawed.

Will Museler

How can someone's taste be flawed?

That weight in a 36 foot boat is very dated. That's a fact, not opinion.

12 meter's have MASSIVE amounts of wetted surface for their size. Most sportboats have very little wetted surface. Low rocker, fine entry, high aspect foils, light weight = low wetted surface. Don't let the wide transom throw you off.

Will Museler

So by your reasoning by 2030 a 36 foot boat should weigh in at what? 800?

I would be intrested to poll folks in here how close to the weight in the specs is VS real world when you put a new 111 on the scales. Be interesting for lots of other boats also to see which manufactures have the least honesty. I know at least in the J 120 case that the listed spec for weight is way off, guess which way???? Oh maybe the weight does not include rig motor rigging etc. But it should. So please report the weight the first time a 111 hits the scales Then we will know a true story

CWS

maybe make one out of carbon, drop some of the usually fancy J shit out of the interior, and put more weight in the bulb. Now that could be a rocket!

please be sure to share what kind of boat you own...

For fuck's sake, Scot. What's next, you and Petkovic goin' to the mall to buy matching sneakers?

melges and Jboats are still in business, with new designs and loyal customers.......

they know their markets, and they are well run...

meanwhile you fools argue about a few extra lbs, or that your 35 foot shitbox is a bit faster....

last time i looked, you couldn't give away a used tiger, and most of the competitors to Jboats are in chapt 11....

yeah, Jboats F-ed up again....and they will sell a couple hundred boats

It's not a race boat dumb-ass! Are u able to read? It's a multi-purpose famialy boat. With any luck you will take a "tiller" to the nuts so that you don't have a famialy to think about. Dumb-Ass!!

LOL: Makes me wish I was a 20/yo B/N, wana be racer again. Was my head that stupid too? Yes! :rolleyes:

maybe make one out of carbon, drop some of the usually fancy J shit out of the interior, and put more weight in the bulb. Now that could be a rocket!

yeah!

Will Museler

So by your reasoning by 2030 a 36 foot boat should weigh in at what? 800?

no about 3000lbs. About the amount of ballast for a good sail plan on this size boat.

touche.jpg

Are you really that stupid to bring up crew issues George? I guess so. I'm quite happy with whom I sail.

It seems that Scooter has the same appreciation for crew as you. Only owner's comments are welcome. Or valued. " What boat do you own?" Who gives a flying fuck? Is that the first thing you guys ask when begging for crew? Dipshits...Welcome is a too broad term. They're only welcome as long as they don't call into question any of the many faults those Walmart pieces of dog shit are inherently doomed to live with.

Now ,both of you toddle on back to the Republic of Crap and Georgie can roll around in all the chinkshit he feels worthy of. Or, you could ad to that great Bene/ American Y C thread. You and Espo in the same thread. Priceless. Shoo now.

I'm going to play devils advocate here. George has cleaned up on the FT forum and from what I've seen he's done nothing recently to bring the class into disrepute. Maybe he has even reformed. As of the present moment I've got no problem with him and that's really saying something.

touche.jpg

here's what i give a fuck about - dipshits like you who pop off with no cred. i'm not here to debate the tiger, especially given that i've been a vocal critic of the boat and especially with a hater like you. but i will say this, anytime you want to bring something similar and line up against us, just let me know. but we all know you're all fucking mouth and zero action.

i don't mind a little criticism from someone qualified, but i'm not taking any shit from someone who is so clearly an asshole. got that, bitch?

Now, back to the 111. i actually think it is the best looking j/boat i've seen in a while...

J111_575px.jpg

Looks like the next Blur... http://www.jboats.com/j111/

Looks like a 36-foot J/92 with accomodations and headroom. Buying my lottery ticket now. B)

(tiller please!)

I want one of those.I might have to wait a long time till I can afford it :-(

DC

Erm ... it's a 105 with standing headroom ? Yes it looks great because it looks like a 105

109's been hugely sucessful because it was designed to IRC and has the accomodation required in Europe but it reaches/goes down-wind like a dog. This boat has accomodation but not designed to IRC (not sure about that) - if so it will be a dud in Europe and will never get to OD status there.

My nicely maintained and equipped J105, 6 years old - value $125. Or this new 111 at $275 on the water. I trade up and pay $150 ? Hum - not very compelling.

The new Archambault M34 (Tour Voile) - turbo charged - $170k with a trailer vs $275 for this.

It's a very nice boat but I don't see where it fits - please enlighten me

I really don't think it will sell in Europe. Perhaps that is why Jboats let this out during the Annapolis boat show.

Rephrase this I can't see this selling at all in europe. Might work in North America and maybe in Asia...maybe. I think Jboats is going to try to follow the x-35 playbook with a ton of hype and as many pre ordered boats as possible with special emphasis on fleet building. Such that when hull one hits the water there are fleets on order.

That said for a Jboat $225 base is cheap. There is more to this boat so we have to wait and see but it might work.

That don't look like no 105 to me...

D/L = 135

SA/DSPL = 24

D/L = 110

SA/DSPL = 28

It's a hot ride and as far as 'where it fits' I think J Boats does a pretty good job of creating demand vs. trying to pigeon-hole their designs into white space within their overall line up. Big question is, can you put a shoe on the bulb and still race OD?

They could sell tons of these if this boat had a 50% b/disp ratio. #3000 keel and #3000 hull for this size. Ala the 125. Keep the inside simple with good sea berths ( double pipes aft, upper and lower settees), a place to make hot water, a dry nav station and an open head forward. Tiller or wheel I like both.

Make it a single purpose boat, it's for racing, out of carbon. Give it a retractable drive so you don't need your prop to fall off during tpac. Call it the 112 and charge a little more.

It's kinda a nice dual purpose boat, but most who buy it will be racing it. Why not make it what is will be?

The argument that it will work is that when this boat comes out money to loan and spend is a little better than it is now. By using the dealership network to go out and talk up the boat with sailmakers and potential buyers they can get lists of real potential customers. By the time the boat is ready to ship you have your customers ready to buy.

Very astute remark about this looking like it is straight from the Jboats interns MS Word. This is very, very preliminary stuff. Jboats is going to use every day from trade day at the Annapolis show until the first year is up after hull one splashes to make sure every possible customer knows about this boat.

From a trade point of view it will be interesting to see just what marketing Jboats buys. Interesting to see the launch live on Sailing Anarchy AND the Show. Kind of a watershed moment for SA.

This design is far from frozen so items like windows may change. The keel....Well a wide chord or the length of where the keel attaches to the hull may help when that very successful Neo natel MD who can cut the smallest intestine with exactness not found anywhere else plows his new Jboat into 3 foot rocking shoal water. It is a JBoat for the masses.

One of my favorite show activities used to be watching Rod do what he does best. Sell boats. Not much different in 2003 than 20 years earlier. IT will be interesting to see if this younger generation can turn the hype into sales.

At the end of the first year of production it will not matter how much the boat weighs or any ratios. But my god this is a very, very price sensitive proposal. They really are going to have to get a lot of orders and find a reliable but cheap builder.

That don't look like no 105 to me...

D/L = 135

SA/DSPL = 24

D/L = 110

SA/DSPL = 28

The D/L on a J/105 is 149 at the minimum class weight of 8,577#. D/L is 134 at the why-is-it-still-advertised 7,750#. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy one - at best they're 800# over design weight. Both my J's were pre-Scrimp. I'd only buy a Scrimp-built J if it was weighed first.

I like the 111 but agree with "tiller please."