Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wai

what is this

Ho, ho, ho.... Father Christmas delivering a hard wing element?

Or is that a bit of the mythical second boat?

Oh Fuck!!!

Well we might as well scritinize the hell out if it now, lol!

This was taken when, around 1230 on Thursday?

passing by saw this

Dear Mr. Wai,

With a name meaning water you must be a kiwi. Even so, as a Newbie, you now have certain duties.

You will be advised of these sooner, rather than later.

Your picture is from Anacortes.

And that nicely packaged object might be fish-and-chips.

But probably not.

Is it addressed to the "Crab Shack, San Diego?"

Oh Fuck!!!

Be interesting to see how much of the volume is padding / protection under the shrink wrap.

I would not think it would be hanging around for long sitting outside, must be on its way... Monday in San Diego?

passing by saw this

So:

1. The prominent labelling and daylight exit suggests this package is intended to reach the public domain sooner rather than later.

2. Fuzz ... get down there and smell it !

3. The faraway end looks bow-like and the boxy end closest to the camera looks like packaging.

4. Could it be a new vaka ... no, not long enough.

5. One part of a whomper package ..... nèst pas

4. Could it be a new vaka ... no, not long enough.

5. One part of a whomper package ..... nèst pas

Pretty sure its longer than 100' my guess 120' to 140', based on the intervals of the shrink wrap.

It might be "just me", but I'm smelling a rat.

Those "BMW Oracle Racing" logos look photoshopped, and I don't recall anything else coming out of Core with that sort of logo-treatment.

It might be "just me", but I'm smelling a rat.

Those "BMW Oracle Racing" logos look photoshopped, and I don't recall anything else coming out of Core with that sort of logo-treatment.

i'm with you on that one...

i vote wind turbine blade also.

That is the main yard of CB.

Picture must have been taken Friday (yesterday) or Thursday.

That is the main yard of CB.

Picture must have been taken Friday (yesterday) or Thursday.

Or could have been taken this morning too.

Oh Fuck!!!

If the package left Thursday, and IF it was going to SD, it should be in or close to SD now. I think that size load requires guide/scout vehicles, can only travel in daylight, and in at least one of the west coast states is not allowed to travel on weekends or holidays. If they did not make it out of Oregon, it is parked somewhere until daylight Monday (IIRC).

passing by saw this

Dude..... just how tall are you?

The labels do look shopped.

The shape looks like a center hull.

Elongated bow, instead of a sprit?

Much like the new g-tris.

More volume aft, and flat bottom section shape= less drag when dropping the hull in the water at speed.

Why not?

passing by saw this

Hmmmm.........................the tip end looks ok, but the square end looks too boxy.

Also not sure about those BMW Oracle logo's. They've never advertised any pieces when going down the road before, have they?

Those pictures were taken this morning.

The BOR branding is real. They WANT you to know this is BOR kit.

I suspect whoever posted the pic is with CB/BOR and wants to stir us all up :lol: .

I suspect whoever posted the pic is with CB/BOR and wants to stir us all up :lol: .

Looks too short for mast or wing. Too radical for hull. New wind turbine? Joke?

post-29220-1255200687_thumb.jpg

There is another piece about this same size too. Trucking out today.

The one you posted a photo of (above) is for certain a separate package from the package that wai posted at the top. (wai posted the identical shot twice, by the way)

Is the one that you posted also from the R Street facility, or from down at the 29th? Taken today too?

The one you posted a photo of (above) is for certain a separate package from the package that wai posted at the top. (wai posted the identical shot twice, by the way)

Is the one that you posted also from the R Street facility, or from down at the 29th? Taken today too?

Points to you, Stingray, for patiently taking shit about spreading rumors of a wing in the works! :lol:

But I think it looks like the same item, just that in Mo's photo the 'styrofoam endpiece" at the base seems to have been removed...

If this is a bit of 'whomper', I'd vote for it being the upper trailing-edge element.

To aid road transport, I'd expect the thing to be subdivided into 4 main sub-components, the two leading edge pieces (top and bottom) and the two trailing edge pieces (again top and bottom), which might be a bit shorter. The two leading edge bits simply attach at a flange joint, and the two trailing edge pieces are of course independent.

Then there might be a whole bunch of other smaller bits, like curved vortex-shedding tips and the rest....

But then again, I may be talking out of my bottom. Again.

Am pretty sure it is the same package. It is as wide as the truck is. (Don't think there are two packages on the truck)

Crosssection on the "thin" end (back end of the truck) seems wing like.

Points to you, Stingray, for patiently taking shit about spreading rumors of a wing in the works! :lol:

But I think it looks like the same item, just that in Mo's photo the 'styrofoam endpiece" at the base seems to have been removed...

Thanks - That 'David Cornwall' character admonishing me for scaring people was quite a laugh :)

One reason I believe them to be separate pieces, aside from it being Mo who already said they are, (There is another piece about this same size too. Trucking out today), is the signage is different.

On wai's shot the 'bmworacleracing.com' is towards the large end and 'BMW ORACLE Racing' at the sharp end. The signage on Mo's piece, showing the same face, is reversed.

When did it leave? I live just south of tacoma. could get a pic as it is driving south.

Thanks - That 'David Cornwall' character admonishing me for scaring people was quite a laugh :)

One reason I believe them to be separate pieces, aside from it being Mo who already said they are, (There is another piece about this same size too. Trucking out today), is the signage is different.

On wai's shot the 'bmworacleracing.com' is towards the large end and 'BMW ORACLE Racing' at the sharp end. The signage on Mo's piece, showing the same face, is reversed.

edit: No it's not - damn. They look to be the same package.

If this is a bit of 'whomper', I'd vote for it being the upper trailing-edge element.

To aid road transport, I'd expect the thing to be subdivided into 4 main sub-components, the two leading edge pieces (top and bottom) and the two trailing edge pieces (again top and bottom), which might be a bit shorter. The two leading edge bits simply attach at a flange joint, and the two trailing edge pieces are of course independent.

Then there might be a whole bunch of other smaller bits, like curved vortex-shedding tips and the rest....

Makes sense, except I think it is the upper leading-edge one.

Hey Anacortes anarchists! Can you identify the bloke in black in the foreground of Wai's shot? And take a guess at his height?

Cause he appears to be about as tall as this thing is thick at the butt end.

Hey Anacortes anarchists! Can you identify the bloke in black in the foreground of Wai's shot? And take a guess at his height?

It is not Mark Turner.

Could it be Tim Smyth?

post-23687-1255204077_thumb.jpg

post-23687-1255204101_thumb.jpg

passing by saw this

This is not a ground level photo.

It is taken from height - maybe the Core office window.

"Wai" is about as kiwi as you can get.

And I smell Vegemite on the breath of the photographer.

Who, in my view, is a crucial (and senior) member of the BOR build team.

Yep, they want you and everyone else, to know new kit is on its way.

The root certainly seems VERY thick if this is a wing element, doesn't it?

Yes! That is the most intriguing detail.

The details inside that detail are curious too

2iw0ep1.jpg

351d2r4.jpg

The extrusions in Red. The corners in Yellow. The intersections in Green. The protrusions in Blue.

I looked to see if the green metal dolleys are the same as the center hull's stand, while they are the identical color the answer is unfortunately 'no' - so we can't use it to try determine the true length of this monster.

Am rough-guessing about 140'?

Definately important kit for BOR. There is a videographer on site taking footage from a cherry picker.

Fuzz ... what is the word in the yard?

I've now had my various after-dinner libations, and am startled by the thought that perhaps this is not one of four main sections...

What if it is one of six !!

:o

I've now had my various after-dinner libations, and am startled by the thought that perhaps this is not one of four main sections...

What if it is one of six !!

:o

Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho, ho, then.....

Those Northern elves certainly have been busy, no?

Yep... That's Charlie and he's about 7ft 6in

Just a digression here for a moment:

Aren't you all quite happy, in fact, that there is a clever little landlocked, alpine country; sufficiently resourceful to be a full rival in this sport?

The root certainly seems VERY thick if this is a wing element, doesn't it?

Yes! That is the most intriguing detail.

The details inside that detail are curious too

2iw0ep1.jpg

351d2r4.jpg

The extrusions in Red. The corners in Yellow. The intersections in Green. The protrusions in Blue.

I looked to see if the green metal dolleys are the same as the center hull's stand, while they are the identical color the answer is unfortunately 'no' - so we can't use it to try determine the true length of this monster.

Am rough-guessing about 140'?

The whole bit in red looks like part of a giant hinge, to me. If these are the leading edge elements, presumably that's where the trailing edge components attach.

If there really is two of them........Maybe,,,Just maybe they are new wings for the Marchetti...You know so a larger weapon load can be carried when flying over the RAK course as security.

Aren't you all quite happy, in fact, that there is a clever little landlocked, alpine country; sufficiently resourceful to be a full rival in this sport?

All but one. By the way Swiss chicks are logs.

Which are best I wont tell you.

Other drawbacks of being Swiss you have just mentioned, including landlocked and being too clever.

:lol:

Wonder Sasha Cohen's alpine raid too.

It is definitely shaping to to be one hell of a Match. The kit is shocking!

you've got to admit, those guys have balls. This is going to be pretty freaking incredible when it all comes together. WOW!

This is the WOMPER. Leading edge section.

But I can assure you it definitely does NOT exist! :lol:

post-29220-1255205083_thumb.jpg

Packaging boards are clearly visible beneath the wrapping on the right of this photo. Llikely the boxey nature of the left side is all protection packaging beneath the wrap. This is a fairly fragile item when travelling on I 5 south. It prefers upright alighnment in Arab OR Med waters.... :rolleyes:

It is definitely shaping to to be one hell of a Match. The kit is shocking!

What match? In MSP's own words he has said the SNG will not be the trustee come Feb 2010. Even if his premis is correct that SNG will be removed as trustee, I do not see the courts moving that fast.

Another. This might help give a sense of scale. (I couldn't get any good shots indicating length)

post-29220-1255206854_thumb.jpg

It lookspretty wide. Looks like it will be overhanging the sides of the trailer quite a bit.

any one ever stop to think that bmw think the ac might not happen cause of that messurement issue and then for pr they started towing very large pieces of plastic? or they think they will win the ac and have started building for the next one wich will be in 300ft quadreman? post-40005-1255207550_thumb.jpg and no this was not done on microsuck paint in about 3mins

Another. This might help give a sense of scale. (I couldn't get any good shots indicating length)

post-29220-1255206854_thumb.jpg

It lookspretty wide. Looks like it will be overhanging the sides of the trailer quite a bit.

They could simply stand it up so the leading edge of the wing is down on the flatbed. :)

any one ever stop to think that bmw think the ac might not happen cause of that messurement issue and then for pr they started towing very large pieces of plastic? or they think they will win the ac and have started building for the next one wich will be in 300ft quadreman? [stupid img] and no this was not done on microsuck paint in about 3mins

You, my friend, are fortunate that this is not a forum in which post quality is in any way expected.

Is this curvature?

2mfejxf.jpg

qnpooy.jpg

How big are the letters on the "OVERSIZE LOAD" sign required to be in CA, OR, WA? I'd bet the signs are standard.

Is this curvature?

2mfejxf.jpg

qnpooy.jpg

How big are the letters on the "OVERSIZE LOAD" sign required to be in CA, OR, WA? I'd bet the signs are standard.

for Dept of Transportation stuff, 102" wide max 13.5' high, 80,000 lbs. total. Beyond that, you need Oversize permits.

"what is this?"

Huge new Mandoline...... perfect for slicing "Cheese" :P

second piece seems much more contained, no visible "things" sticking out.

first pics possibly the lower forward portion now? that weird shit coming out of the end to the side will be connected to the swivel device (motor driven, i suppose :angry: )

There are two different pieces. The one showed by wai and the one showed by mo fuzz

See the wide parts...

First pic posted by wai See Detail of first piece

Wide side of piece showed by mo fuzz

The one wai posted with the sharp end and one box is likely the top half, the one with two box ends the bottom. Right?

Huuge!

oh yeah, that weird shit coming out will be to connect the top and bottom pieces?

I’ll bet the SNG lawyers will be up early, hastily typing away at a few new rule amendments.

When will the "a wing is not a sail discussion resume?

whomper leading edge, (lower section?)

post-29220-1255205429_thumb.jpg

Bingo, with the near end being the deck end, the far end being the top of this lower section, with the flange clearly visible in this photo at that far end.

That far end flange will butt up to those two flange pieces at the near end of the wai shot.

(right?)

Ok being that it's my birthday today & this is an awesome present from CB/BOR, I will take a guess of the contents. Shaking noise as the package is shook..... drum rolll...........

This pic is the core of the wing.

Core - depending on length it could be the whole core length or the top part of 2. The top end of the core will be capped probably with winglets & cameras or just a cap with camera winglets like present.

Leading edge - what we see is a wing with a flat leading edge as it's doesn't have adjustable flaps and fairings yet.

Trailing edges - this is where it could be very interesting as there is a possibility of several different types. This page is a good summary of wings and trailing edges. Question is it like the S&S hard wing or A cat like Hall and Clark.

http://www.johncaseyworldwide.com/?p=761

stars__stripes_1988_cat_big.jpg

catlead.jpg

There are two different pieces. The one showed by wai and the one showed by mo fuzz

See the wide parts...

First pic posted by wai See Detail of first piece

Wide side of piece showed by mo fuzz

The one wai posted with the sharp end and one box is likely the top half, the one with two box ends the bottom. Right?

Huuge!

oh yeah, that weird shit coming out will be to connect the top and bottom pieces?

that's what i think, the two 'wierd shit' pieces in the wai shhot are at the bottom end of that top section. the bottom of those two pieces will connect to a similar flange at the top of the bottom section (visible in one of the Mo photos). the second of the 'wierd shit' flanges in the wai photo, the one riding just above, could be what can turn the top section independently, almost like a lever, and done by power as someone suggested above. that gets yu the twist.

there is another photo showing what could be an adjustable trim section running down the trailing edge, think it was in a photo of the top section?

this puzzle is wild, gotta run, have fun, back in a while!

Is this curvature?

2mfejxf.jpg

qnpooy.jpg

for Dept of Transportation stuff, 102" wide max 13.5' high, 80,000 lbs. total. Beyond that, you need Oversize permits.

IMHO, the left hand box indicates the top of the flat area where the nose fairing will be attached. The right hand box is the actual wing leading edge near the top of the ... wing. These are just the load bearing structural parts, there is more fairing to come, probably also completely seperate articulated flap of course.

This is no doubt a radical step. If I interpret certain conversations I have had correctly, the decision to build it only fell after they first saw the A5 sail in Geneva.

BOR, you guys rock! Thank you for the sneak peek, whether intentional or not.

Awesome, simply awesome.

Ok being that it's my birthday today & this is an awesome present from CB/BOR, I will take a guess of the contents. Shaking noise as the package is

Happy birthday Peelman!

This is no doubt a radical step. If I interpret certain conversations I have had correctly, the decision to build it only fell after they first saw the A5 sail in Geneva.

Is this suggesting that they thought A5 was faster then DZ?

Of course not!!!

possible to have engines? just order one of those big Hemi's and we gonna give them the mother of all F$#&k big wings!!!!! LOLOLLLLLLLL

Cheers Diverg :)

Thinking further on trailing edges there is a 3rd possibility & that is one similar to the sails used with sailboats & foiling moths with their teardrop section. I'm not sold on this one & think that if BOR went for a wing dogstick they have spent the BIG bucks for the best that money can get designed and buy.

Anyone got any thoughts on whether a wing in RAK is a better choice than softies for the light steady winds?

Ok being that it's my birthday today & this is an awesome present from CB/BOR, I will take a guess of the contents. Shaking noise as the package is shook..... drum rolll...........

Core - depending on length it could be the whole core length or the top part of 2. The top end of the core will be capped probably with winglets & cameras or just a cap with camera winglets like present.

Leading edge - what we see is a wing with a flat leading edge as it's doesn't have adjustable flaps and fairings yet.

Trailing edges - this is where it could be very interesting as there is a possibility of several different types. This page is a good summary of wings and trailing edges. Question is it like the S&S hard wing or A cat like Hall and Clark.

http://www.johncaseyworldwide.com/?p=761

stars__stripes_1988_cat_big.jpg

catlead.jpg

Just need to photoshop either wing scaled up on to the BOR platform and you won't have to wait.

Very cool

IMHO, the left hand box indicates the top of the flat area where the nose fairing will be attached. The right hand box is the actual wing leading edge near the top of the ... wing. These are just the load bearing structural parts, there is more fairing to come, probably also completely seperate articulated flap of course.

A fine point perhaps but was it after they knew that power would be allowed or after seeing A5 sail?

IMO the only way to shape a wing this size is using hydraulics. Can you imagine the spaghetti factory that bits of spectra and harken blocks would be?

I also seem to remember photos of bits of tooling before A5 was unveiled. Maybe they ramped up "just in case" and threw the go switch after the rules were known?

Cheers, Peelman! Stay young at heart, stay sharp :)

Here is another. Whomper, lower section. For estimating size. That is a standard width flatbed tractor/trailer. You cant tell by this angle but there is significant overhang out the back of the flatbed.

Also, as someone noted earlier in the thread, the leading edge is flat (on the left in this picture). Likely there will be a fairing piece attached to the flat surface to complete the leading edge.

This also gives an idea of the chord involved.

post-29220-1255216922_thumb.jpg