Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rail Meat

La Solidaire du Chocolat

So just to get this ball rolling, 24 Class 40's are gathered in Nantes-Saint Nazerine where on October 18 they will race double handed from France to Progreso Mexico, on the Yucatan Peninsula.

It should be some amazing racing with some very gifted skippers in the mix. Soldini has to be near the top of any one's short list, but Stamm is racing as well. Peter Harding and Miranda Merron have the brand new OCD gen 3 boat under them, and several of the other skippers such as Mike West have been doing quite well in the season of racing that has led up to this race.

Check out the web site at http://www.lasolidaireduchocolat.com/en for more race details.

first surprise no Boris Herrmann. Very awkward, as participating in the solidaire with the chartered "zed 4" (akilaria RC2) was always part of his plan for this season. I wonder if he has financing troubles (announcement on his IMOCA campaign is running late).

curious to see how Keysource will do. Favorites, Telecom Italia, Cheminees Poujoulat, who else?

Favorites, Telecom Italia, Cheminees Poujoulat, who else?

Go the 'Sail4Cancer' .. with the Aussie onboard...

Initiatives - Novedia with 2 ex mini guys could be up there also...

just my 2 cents...

cos.

Here in St Nazaire now, after all the boats spent the weekend in Nantes. Got some shots and some stories on the build up which I'll try and pull together later on today.

Prologue on Friday then we're off late Sunday afternoon.

We have Americans in the fleet!!!!

Can you share anything regarding the repairs ? Have you made any changes ahead of the event ? Any special prep given the distance ?

Can you share anything regarding the repairs ? Have you made any changes ahead of the event ? Any special prep given the distance ?

Hey Mate,

The repairs were carried out at Desty's and were all sorted within a few weeks after the worlds. We brought the boat to La Trin for the Morbihan Mondial a couple of weeks ago - poor turnout with only 7 boats racing (they probably knew we were coming and were worried about damage before the Chocolat!) we finished joint first with 40 degrees on points and lost on countback - good tune up event and always great to be in La Trin.

Other than that we've been trying to go for a real redundancy system - new back up auto pilot as well as compass and computer, watermaker, spare pc on board (toughbook), new broadband comms (Fleet 150), fuel cell, solar panels (arriving on Thursday), and then a load of general things around running rigging which we've beefed up or replaced. I reckon the extra weight should be worth it in the event of a failure but it's hard to carry spares for everything.

Think we're agreed on our sail wardrobe now, just the final bits and bobs to get sorted as well as getting through scrutineering.

Hey Mate,

The repairs were carried out at Desty's and were all sorted within a few weeks after the worlds. We brought the boat to La Trin for the Morbihan Mondial a couple of weeks ago - poor turnout with only 7 boats racing (they probably knew we were coming and were worried about damage before the Chocolat!) we finished joint first with 40 degrees on points and lost on countback - good tune up event and always great to be in La Trin.

Other than that we've been trying to go for a real redundancy system - new back up auto pilot as well as compass and computer, watermaker, spare pc on board (toughbook), new broadband comms (Fleet 150), fuel cell, solar panels (arriving on Thursday), and then a load of general things around running rigging which we've beefed up or replaced. I reckon the extra weight should be worth it in the event of a failure but it's hard to carry spares for everything.

Think we're agreed on our sail wardrobe now, just the final bits and bobs to get sorted as well as getting through scrutineering.

Good luck and fair seas. Looking forward to tracking your progress.

So just to get this ball rolling, 24 Class 40's are gathered in Nantes-Saint Nazerine where on October 18 they will race double handed from France to Progreso Mexico, on the Yucatan Peninsula.

It should be some amazing racing with some very gifted skippers in the mix. Soldini has to be near the top of any one's short list, but Stamm is racing as well. Peter Harding and Miranda Merron have the brand new OCD gen 3 boat under them, and several of the other skippers such as Mike West have been doing quite well in the season of racing that has led up to this race.

Check out the web site at http://www.lasolidaireduchocolat.com/en for more race details.

I'm looking forward to following this race.

Railmeat - do you have any insights into why this course was selected?

It is shorter than the MT to Brazil, they are DH & the boats are faster.

Was the duration an important consideration?

I would have thought Bahia would be preferable for a finish rather than the Panama freighter & island dodging Carib. approaches to the Yuk.

Do you know if this will be the route for future Choc races too?

The race organizers chose the route, not the class so I have limited insight as to the decision making process.

There is a chocolate make who is the sponsor of the race, and the destination is the historical source of the sponsor's chocolate beans which gives the route relevancy. Sort of like the TJV which follows the route historicall used by the coffee traders who are that race's sponsor.

Also, there are a lot of races that go to Brazil..... this is a interesting in part because it is a different route with different prevailing weather and thus different routing decisions.

The race organizers chose the route, not the class so I have limited insight as to the decision making process.

There is a chocolate make who is the sponsor of the race, and the destination is the historical source of the sponsor's chocolate beans which gives the route relevancy. Sort of like the TJV which follows the route historicall used by the coffee traders who are that race's sponsor.

Also, there are a lot of races that go to Brazil..... this is a interesting in part because it is a different route with different prevailing weather and thus different routing decisions.

RM,

Thanks for the info.

Nice sponsorship - choc = caffeine = SH'ers fav food group.

Maybe the Ministas should follow up on this prospect. :P

I had hoped there might be some Mexican interest in Minis, but none that I know of yet.

Are there any Mexican Class 40 owners yet?

It will be easier to get to the Yuk to see the finish than to Bahia, so there may be some SA's there in October.

RM,

Thanks for the info.

Nice sponsorship - choc = caffeine = SH'ers fav food group.

Maybe the Ministas should follow up on this prospect. :P

I had hoped there might be some Mexican interest in Minis, but none that I know of yet.

It will be easier to get to the Yuk to see the finish than to Bahia, so there may be some SA's there in October.

No Mexican owners of Class 40's that I am aware of, but I have not seen the updated nationality list for the 2009 year yet. I could be wrong about that.

It would be a fun field trip to make. I would time the trip for a point where there are 10 or more finishers in port... that way you have some boats to check out.

There's a Mexican racing with Patrice Carpentier....

We also have a regatta when we get there - no idea of the format though - at least 3 days after the first finisher, though with a race this long it could be three days before the second boat comes in!!!!

We also have a regatta when we get there - no idea of the format though - at least 3 days after the first finisher, though with a race this long it could be three days before the second boat comes in!!!!

With some of the skippers I have recognized, it may be minutes between the first 3 boats home.

With some of the skippers I have recognized, it may be minutes between the first 3 boats home.

It's hard to see anyone getting within minutes of Soldini - never mind the quality of the skippers look at Soldini's CV and the time he has in that boat which is clearly very fast.

I just went through the skippers roster again. Double para-Olympic medalist Damien Seguin stuck out to me, as he has a physical disability (no left hand). Awesome that he is rocking the double-handed circuit, it will be interesting to see how well he will do with Armel Tripon on Cargrill-MTTM.

The fleet is quite international, even if it is dominated by the French. If this is any indication of the future of class 40 racing/fleet, than the future sure looks bright.

Bruno Jourdren has only function in one arm too I believe...

And have a good race Ron

Bruno Jourdren has only function in one arm too I believe...

I did not know that about him. That despite having come across his name at plenty events. Awesome sailor.

the race is on and first rankings are in.

http://lasolidaireduchocolat.geovoile.com/

Interesting:

Stamm and Jourden in the lead.

Soldini is currently 11th but on a more southerly route than the pack following Stamm

Racing ron (keysource) is far north, all alone in 19th.

Winds are expected to increase upto 50 knots, in the next few days.

'cause he has giant balls and is looking to grab some easterlies a long time before the others?

Looks like another tough start for a long race. Late Tuesday it looks like still varying 15-30kt. winds, but with 6-8 (10?) meter waves, somewhat on the nose! Godspeed to all, especially my friends MacKenzie Davies and Brian Harris aboard Amhas! -mike

From passageweather.com:

030.png027.png

'cause he has giant balls and is looking to grab some easterlies a long time before the others?

Alright. That makes sense.

Anybody know the reasoning behind Soldini's move south of the rest of the fleet? Just looked and he is currently ranked 20th.

acording to his personal site it has been a "strategic" choice in dealing with the low. They believed to be better positioned after the gales, getting more south possible before west. They aslo think to get a little less terrible sea conditions to allow them a faster pace. we'll see...giovanni is usually very good in this strategies, but they also admit is kind of risky..

forza gio & pietro

The Spanish on Tales, also have a quick boat and a good pedigree, should be good for a top 5. Weather has really mixed it up with routing choices, and some of it should favour the older boats, most builds have had some problems associated with them initially.

40 degress has only seen 25 knots so far for example, and they were seriously concerned about a baptism of fire....

Good luck to all of them, looks like a fantastic event, and the future looks very bright for the class...

2 boats retired so far, one a muscle injury, the other delam.... The sea state is the killer at the moment...

Weather forecast from October 20, 2009 at 9UTC to October 22, 2009 at 00UTC

PAZENN

West or Southwest 20/25kt gusts 35kt increasing 25/30kt gusts 40kt until 21/00h utc. Sea becoming very rough or high (wave 5 or 7 m)in Northwesterly swell. squalls.

FINISTERRE

West or Southwest 18/23kt gusts 35kt increasing 23/28kt gusts 40kt until 21/00h utc. Sea becoming very rough or locally high (wave 6 or 7 m) in northwest in Northwesterly swell. Showers ou squalls.

PORTO

West or Northwest 15/20kt gusts 30 kt, increasing temporarily 18/23kt gusts 35kt between 21/00h utc and 21/12h utc, and becoming cyclonic between 21/18h utc and 22/00h utc, locally Westerly 30/35kt gusts 50kt in south. Sea becoming very rough in Northwesterly swell. Showers ou squalls.

And now 3 boats out.... Orca due to structural damage around the mast foot.

Two more lows coming, although there is some chance they will combine into a single big one. It is going to be some rough going.

he definetly has balls, but I think no easterlies in this race as they are sailing much higher, sailing to azorres and then st barth. maybe the last days.

more tricky difficoult navigation.

nice race , very difficoult. could take to huge openings in the fleet.

Appart City out now as well :(

split main and damage to a rudder.

shame to see the fleet being hurt at the start of such an interesting race.

Appart City out now as well :(

split main and damage to a rudder.

shame to see the fleet being hurt at the start of such an interesting race.

Sounds like the start of Vendee... :ph34r:

In an article on an italian newspaper, Soldini says that last night was a nitemare: 45 solid with gusts to 50/60 knots, but the through is gone now. Very confused and huge seas (skycrapers high waves are mentioned, but the journalist may have worked on the wording...). Both him and Pietro D'Ali have been up all night, and they weren't able to go as south as planned beacuse the risk of not passing Finisterre. Nothing broken on board, they're trying to get some rest before the next front will come through tomorrow (he says it should be smaller than the one they've just passed, but still a strong one).

Cazza

he definetly has balls, but I think no easterlies in this race as they are sailing much higher, sailing to azorres and then st barth. maybe the last days.

more tricky difficoult navigation.

nice race , very difficoult. could take to huge openings in the fleet.

From the event site:

Miranda Merron (40 Degrees): “The sea started to build yesterday afternoon, and the front went through just before midnight. We had changed to the storm jib when the wind was at 30 knots plus and the boat was quite OK with 42 knots. Needless to say, the accompanying sea state has taken its toll. There will be housekeeping chores inside the boat once daylight comes! It was fortunate that we crossed the Cape Finisterre - Ushant shipping during the day yesterday, as that could have been a little exciting in the night. So, although we were spared something similar to crossing a motorway in horizontal rain and zero visibilty, the autopilot chose the windiest and roughest couple of hours to misbehave, which did add a little excitement. Starlit now, the evil weather of a few hours ago but a distant memory. Still in drysuits though.

More:

Denis Lazat (PLAN):"The front has gone through, which is a very good thing! All would be well onboard if the front hadn’t left a few unpleasant gifts for us: genorosity that kept us constantly busy as we continued under three reefs and storm jib. A massive drop in temperature; an outbreak of seasickness during which we both spent time with a bucket calling for ‘Raoul!’ some minor, non-serious damage. Sorting the boat out will have to wait until things calm down."

.... A massive drop in temperature; an outbreak of seasickness during which we both spent time with a bucket calling for ‘Raoul!’ some minor, non-serious damage. Sorting the boat out will have to wait until things calm down."

It is good to hear that mere mortals are out there, getting on with it, regardless. I heard a fair bit of this from the VOR as well. Personally have never had an iron stomach, and have always kind of doubted those who claim to 'have never been'. But, even though I sometimes have had to look for Raoul, one must just get over it and keep going. Here is hoping the next front is not so bad.

and another bites the dust :(

The American team on Amhas retire

20/10/09 - 22:17 - "We are retiring due to electronics problems with the charging systems, autopilots and wind wands," explains skipper MacKenzie Davis. "All are well. We are headed back to La Trinite sur Mer and do not require assistance."

:( :(

if 5 have retired I guess a significant number are limping along with some fairly serious issues. wish them all luck and success in finishing the race.

This is what racing these sort of boats is all about - knowing when to throttle back and how to protect the boat and equipment - they are always going to be brutal in these conditions given the hull shape and the Biscay/first 500 miles is often the toughest part of these races (RdR, TJV, Vendee, Mini T ... )

Looks to me that some of the boats ran with the breeze for a little while (if you an believe the trackers_

Soldini looks good to me in 7th

This is what racing these sort of boats is all about - knowing when to throttle back and how to protect the boat and equipment - they are always going to be brutal in these conditions given the hull shape and the Biscay/first 500 miles is often the toughest part of these races (RdR, TJV, Vendee, Mini T ... )

Looks to me that some of the boats ran with the breeze for a little while (if you an believe the trackers_

Could not agree with you more, those (on this site) who were calling for the Vendee Globe start to be delayed are just asking for more responsibility to be placed on the shoulders of the race committee. This sort of race is all about the sailor!

WIth regard to running with the breeze, there was a bit of that at the VG start as well, but it tends to be problems with furling gear or similar...the trouble being it is very difficult to go slowly downwind!

gio in podcast not really excited about this first choice and their southern route. Didn't pay as expected.

but, he says, "they 'll sell their lives dear"

gio in podcast not really excited about this first choice and their southern route. Didn't pay as expected.

but, he says, "they 'll sell their lives dear"

Agreed, Stamm looks to be the best placed in the west, sailing with a slight lift at the moment, and has more options as the euro and us weather models disagree about the tracking of the new depression out in the atlantic. looks like there is plenty more upwind sailing coming though. Go the Keysource!

Soldini just flopped onto Port, and will lose out on DTF in the short - term. There is a long way to go, any many tactical choices to come. Shaping up to be very interesting....

Soldini just flopped onto Port, and will lose out on DTF in the short - term. There is a long way to go, any many tactical choices to come. Shaping up to be very interesting....

Most important will be to see if Giovanni still has a speed advantage when on same tack/ similar conditions, as he seemed to have in most of last races compared to all other teams.

I would bet he's not slower....

Looking at the weather coming up .

I think the further east you are the better it is going to pan out for you.

These boats are rubbish up wind ,if you get them just a little off the wind they start to motor.

Winds look better in the east for that.

Long way to go!

I don't know why he did that. I think at the moment east pays, and south pays when the wind comes. I personally would be spending the time getting south in the hopes of getting below the worst of the next low pressure system.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the support - been absolutely horrible - we lost all our B&G in the first 12 hours so not too sure how much breeze we had - all we have is our back up pilot which runs on it's own compass and we can still get speed to read out. Makes it very hard to drive the boat on auto in these conditions but we're getting through it.

Our position on the race track is terrible - to be honest our main priority has been getting through the horror show of the weather - both Mike and I (me in particular) have been feeling unwell an it's horrible beating these boats in 50 knots and killer seas.

We were expectinmg 50knots again this evening but appear to have found a hole off the Portugese coast - we maybe have only 10 knots but we are loathe to put any more sail up as the weather comes uickly and paranoid about not breaking the boat or ourselves. doing about 4 knots under 3 reefs and baby trinq - everything else tied down and double checked this afternoon - 5 retirements, 2 boats in potrt trying to repair and one guy who looks like he's turned back - no joy in the coming days weather either.....

Hopefully in the next 24 hours we can start to focus more on racing rather than surviving and the chase will then be on - still over 4,500 miles to go.

Ron.

Keep the faith..... slog through the next 48 hours and then you can sort the electronics once you start drying out. Thanks for the post, and good luck.

I forgot to say that I am just gutted for Brian Harris and Micah on Amhas. Very sorry to read about their withdrawal.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the support - been absolutely horrible - we lost all our B&G in the first 12 hours so not too sure how much breeze we had - all we have is our back up pilot which runs on it's own compass and we can still get speed to read out. Makes it very hard to drive the boat on auto in these conditions but we're getting through it.

Our position on the race track is terrible - to be honest our main priority has been getting through the horror show of the weather - both Mike and I (me in particular) have been feeling unwell an it's horrible beating these boats in 50 knots and killer seas.

We were expectinmg 50knots again this evening but appear to have found a hole off the Portugese coast - we maybe have only 10 knots but we are loathe to put any more sail up as the weather comes uickly and paranoid about not breaking the boat or ourselves. doing about 4 knots under 3 reefs and baby trinq - everything else tied down and double checked this afternoon - 5 retirements, 2 boats in potrt trying to repair and one guy who looks like he's turned back - no joy in the coming days weather either.....

Hopefully in the next 24 hours we can start to focus more on racing rather than surviving and the chase will then be on - still over 4,500 miles to go.

Ron.

Bon courage Ron !

C.

Ron that's more typing than I could manage in 20 knots never mind 50. I guess this makes the 2007 Fastnet seem like a walk in the park and I suppose you are saving on the provisions. Hang in there and be safe.

Looking at the weather coming up .

These boats are rubbish up wind ,if you get them just a little off the wind they start to motor.

Compared to what? Actually targets on fully powered pogo40 (this is around 12kt) are around 8kt@45deg.

Giovanni made quite a mistake in his opening move but is still within striking distance. Must say with Stamm, Hardy, Krauss... on other well prepared boats he'll have to be on his very best to win this one.

Also on this route forget about the trades (until last part) and think about playing depressions. Very much what Phill Sharp did on last Route du Rhum.

I'd bet my money on Stamm, but my favourite is definetely Adrien Hardy. At his 24 years the nicest and one of the most talented guys in offshore sailing.

Tough race so far.... lots of autopilot problems, lots of sail cloth problems. And a couple of structural issues. These guys are not having a good time at the moment and I can only hope that they see some sun shine tomorrow. At the moment I am guessing that they are most unhappy about the gray and the constant state of being wet.

Compared to what? Actually targets on fully powered pogo40 (this is around 12kt) are around 8kt@45deg.

Giovanni made quite a mistake in his opening move but is still within striking distance. Must say with Stamm, Hardy, Krauss... on other well prepared boats he'll have to be on his very best to win this one.

Also on this route forget about the trades (until last part) and think about playing depressions. Very much what Phill Sharp did on last Route du Rhum.

I'd bet my money on Stamm, but my favourite is definetely Adrien Hardy. At his 24 years the nicest and one of the most talented guys in offshore sailing.

They may be the targets in a nice calm sea in 15 knts of breeze but having sailed them for a season .

In 20+ knts of breeze in a lumpy sea you are pretty happy making 50 degrees and that is pretty rubbish compared to any boat with a non- flat bottom.

However it doesn't really matter as it is a one design race.

My point was that the fleet will be very happy to find some where they can foot off and get some reasonable VMC.

They may be the targets in a nice calm sea in 15 knts of breeze but having sailed them for a season .

In 20+ knts of breeze in a lumpy sea you are pretty happy making 50 degrees and that is pretty rubbish compared to any boat with a non- flat bottom.

However it doesn't really matter as it is a one design race.

My point was that the fleet will be very happy to find some where they can foot off and get some reasonable VMC.

Which 40 did you sail? I also did quite some racing on Orca40 (which is actually not a bad boat) and Pogo40 including Aeegean Rally this year and in 30kt upwind we got beaten only by Farr52, Corel45 and JV50. First40.7, IMX40 and other classic 40ties have considerably worse upwind VMG. Well sailed wide boats+hi aspect keels are weapon for heavy upwind. On minis it was the same the wider the better in waves+wind upwind.

But as you say in box rule racing this isn't really the issue and in Offshore you rarely fetch since you sail VMC.

Haven't checked for a while, but it looks like Soldini and Pietro had to go into consolidation mode. They've got their work solidly cut out for them now. Tough break. Stamm must be exceptional about boat preparation. He's fearless about racing his boats in horrible weather and usually comes out on the right side. Good on he and Jourden. Still a good race at the front.

the next system to come within 36 hours looks like a real scorcher. Who will go for the wind, and who will preserve the boat?

Fuck, one can go over the top with a bit of luck... But its Mr Card, knowing him a little I am not sure if he would try it.

But he is behind, so a flyer could be dandy...

Fuck, one can go over the top with a bit of luck... But its Mr Card, knowing him a little I am not sure if he would try it.

And he is sailing with shaun murphy, who is very scientific about his routing, I'd bet if its a goer they'll do it..... Good armchair sailing!

But looking at the european model, getting over the top would add hundreds of miles, even to the great circle for Orbis. Fleet is sailing in a massive range of different conditions, and due to get even more diverse....amazing....

Sailed once with Spud, never thought of him as scientific :)

And Mr Card can sail the boat like he stole it.

Well, the hitch to the north seems to be paying off for Orbis in the short run, but there is no way they are going to get over the top of the low that is coming in. The northern boats, Orbis included, are going to get another pasting.

Well, the hitch to the north seems to be paying off for Orbis in the short run, but there is no way they are going to get over the top of the low that is coming in. The northern boats, Orbis included, are going to get another pasting.

I'm really enjoying following this race & reading the comments here.

Now the MT is almost over I can spend more time enjoying this race.

This year the MT had few boats withdraw due to gear problems, dismastings etc

Several of the MT entries I follow very closely are not among the top competitors with the best prepared boats.

These are the guys (men & women) who benefit most from good conditions & the lack of extreme weather.

So now I am wondering if the Choc, with 7 early withdrawals, ought to be held earlier - late Sept - early October.

The leaders are amazing sailors & as an armchair 40's skipper I love 'em.

But it is the guys at the back of the fleet who often make me think (altho I am still dreaming) "I could do that, I want to do that."

I also learn a lot & enjoy looking at the different designs & their performances.

To see breakages & withdrawals doesn't mean someone is sailing an inferior design with cheap gear.

I have broken enough to know why good gear breaks on my boats.

So better conditions for a new class are preferable to seeing what can survive the worst the North Atlantic can throw at the boats.

My hope is that the next Choc will be held before the weather turns so outrageous for the 'little guys'.

Of course I am favouring the ex-Ministas, particularly Adrien Hardy ...

But you don't know Shaun - I suspect Mr Card is bound and gagged below and SM is racing solo :lol:

another low coming in, krauss retired with mast track problems, soldini upto second and the fleet scattered. interesting race, but it looks like hard hard work with at least 10 days of slamming into heavy headwinds.

another low coming in, krauss retired with mast track problems, soldini upto second and the fleet scattered. interesting race, but it looks like hard hard work with at least 10 days of slamming into heavy headwinds.

Yeah, I hope Tieto Passion will hold together in one piece...if yes, these guys will rank high!! B)

Couple of pics in my forums about the mast track -thing, propably linked there from somewhere so seen elsewhere too - no exclusive pics there

Link

We have pretty intense thing going on with the Tieto Passion and the guys, looks like here this race is not so interesting. TP is our country's first of a kind and these chaps are friends of us so our small nations small community is thrilled :D

Giovanni and Pietro in first and probably in a better tactical position for at least one day. lead probably to increase in next hours. Honor to them for heading north in the heaviest weather again after 4 other lows and fronts. Big balls.

Good job ragazzi.

This race is turning into one serious shit show. NO fewer than 5 lows so far, if my count is right. All of that slamming and banging causes a huge amount of wear and tear on the boats, including lots of chafe on the sails and halyards. And it is sure to be a true misery for the skippers.

And mean while, they are still racing, not just surviving. Lead changes by the hour, tactical choices paying off or punishing various boats, and the omnipresent question of the ability of any other boats being forced to drop out from the demolition derby.

Hats off to those that are still racing. This race is turning out to be an exciting one on any number of levels.

This race is turning into one serious shit show. NO fewer than 5 lows so far, if my count is right. All of that slamming and banging causes a huge amount of wear and tear on the boats, including lots of chafe on the sails and halyards. And it is sure to be a true misery for the skippers.

And mean while, they are still racing, not just surviving. Lead changes by the hour, tactical choices paying off or punishing various boats, and the omnipresent question of the ability of any other boats being forced to drop out from the demolition derby.

Hats off to those that are still racing. This race is turning out to be an exciting one on any number of levels.

Well said, I agree!

I wonder how demoralizing it must be for the boats who where previously in-front of Soldini, now to find themselves behind him. A big shame about Mistral they definitely looked like a serious contender. Would a mast-track failure like that be a construction mistake? or can it be down to false (over) use? I also wonder how much food supplies the boats have on board, and if it will be enough. I can imagine that some might start to ration, or?

go the cargrill!

Mat tracks on these boats are largely (but not completely) Antal. There are a few Ronstans, and a few Harkens. Or at least that was the case when I checked out the boats at the last TJV.

The track is bonded to the mast with SP Systems 345 (Spa bond) and may also be attached using fastners. In my case, both and with extra fasteners at the reef points. Some folks will go with fewer fasteners to save weight aloft.

With the slamming going on, there will be heavy loading on the track at the reef points. The failure probably occured there, and probably was as simple as a piece of the track pulling off the mast right at a joint.

Bad news and a bad break.

I wonder how demoralizing it must be for the boats who where previously in-front of Soldini, now to find themselves behind him.

It shouldn't be demoralizing at all - Soldini has been the dominant force in the Class 40, great sailor and clearly the best boat. Anyone who was expecting to beat him was probably deluding themselves. Like Mich Des he can give the otehrs a head start.

I wonder how demoralizing it must be for the boats who where previously in-front of Soldini, now to find themselves behind him.

It shouldn't be demoralizing at all - Soldini has been the dominant force in the Class 40, great sailor and clearly the best boat. Anyone who was expecting to beat him was probably deluding themselves. Like Mich Des he can give the otehrs a head start.

I'm very interested in what his Volvo results will look like if he keeps this stuff up.

Ron, French sailing terms : Grand Cuillere or perhaps Tres Grand Cuillere in your case. That's what they call sailing round the fleet

yes, but Jourdren and Stamm made a great mistake tacking south at the Azores, didn't they?

I know, even Soldini says that it's difficult to read the weather charts and choose, because American and European models' outputs differ significantly.

It is great to see Stamm and Soldini line up. After Stamm walked away with the Around Alone / Velux, then had his boat break to keep him out of the Vendee. And why Soldini is not in Vendee? Add in the amateurs, the Class 40 is great, Corinthian.

I think the Canaries route would be for me though.

I think the Canaries route would be for me though.

LOL

me too I would go canary route, possibly in a crew of at least four and with a fridge onboard

oh yes ... teak deck if possible

big new low rolling in and all the fleet diving south to get out of the way. maybe patrice carpentier trying something different? another twist in very interesting race.

I would have chosen the southerly route if I was out there.

Sure doesn't look like it is going to pay now.

Going to have to sail 40% faster to make up the distance to the way point.

However the last 1000 miles looks very tricky and the distance between everyone will compress ,so I still think it is anyones race.

It ain't over 'till it's over :)

I would have chosen the southerly route if I was out there.

Sure doesn't look like it is going to pay now.

Going to have to sail 40% faster to make up the distance to the way point.

However the last 1000 miles looks very tricky and the distance between everyone will compress ,so I still think it is anyones race.

It ain't over 'till it's over :)

Looks like Gio is the only lead boat to have a realistic Western option, at least with the european weather model.

Reckon he'll go for it or stay with the pack...?

Top level armchair sailing, big respect for Palanad from the Uk boats, neither pro sailors, up there with the best of 'em...

.......and Go the Keysource.....!

No western option anymore, good to see the southern pack making good speeds now, still way adrift of the leaders. Brilliant racing frome the frontrunners, gonna go neck and neck all the way to the line......

Oof. And here they go again, with yet another low. Good luck, and safe passage through the night.

Oof. And here they go again, with yet another low. Good luck, and safe passage through the night.

I think this race will be held up there with the leg to China in the VOR. Something from the guys/gals like " oh I would much rather be seeing ice in the Southern ocean than doing that again..."

It is pretty epic. These folks really are iron men (and woman)

It is also an interesting lesson in what breaks on these boats when they are subject to relentless and brutal conditions. Boat, sails, electronics..... or skipper. Hmmm. I think it merits a bit of research today to come up with a synopisis for the boats that have had to drop.

And which boats were very well prepared and did still have failures,thats always what i want to know...

If Soldini for instance has damage, with the yard behind him, suppliers too, that is good information.

Maybe this was a good time for the big multihulls to grab a record , but just the otherway LOL

It is pretty epic. These folks really are iron men (and woman)

It is also an interesting lesson in what breaks on these boats when they are subject to relentless and brutal conditions. Boat, sails, electronics..... or skipper. Hmmm. I think it merits a bit of research today to come up with a synopisis for the boats that have had to drop.

RM, please CC: me on that report, mate!

Soldini and D'Ali have broken the "main" forestay (strallo principale) last night. They won't be able to use the solent anymore, and will be forced to change strategy: they will be moving north of the low, looking for wider angles and lesser load on the remaining forestay. Apparently the pin at the top of the furling gear has given up.

http://www.soldini.it/default.aspx?Lang=ITA&idPage=1645 (in italian)

Cazza

I wonder if Cheminees and cargrill are withib visual distance if each other. It will be interesting to see how their future decisions will pan out abd who will make the better call, as they more or less are now in the same position.

Soldini also said that the mast is up because the night before, with the approaching front expected to hit 35-40 knots, Pietro D'Ali had attached the jib forestay as a backup, just in case... Good call!

They spent a couple of hours in the night to sort things out. The solent is still in one piece, but they can use it only reefed down mounted on the jib forestay. if they keep the same angles of Delamotte they're going to be slower, hence the change of strategy.

Cazza

Soldini also said that the mast is up because the night before, with the approaching front expected to hit 35-40 knots, Pietro D'Ali had attached the jib forestay as a backup, just in case... Good call!

fine piece of seamanship indeed...

Looks like the northern portion of the fleet dodged a bullet, with the low heading farther north than forecast.

I am quite interested to see how Soldini does with no forestay... he should be able to fly any of his reaching and running sails with no problem, but going up wind with anything but the inner stay sail will be an issue and I would think he would need to reef the main down to 2 reefs to get the head of the sail at or below the inner stay to take load off the top of the mast. He may have gotten lucky - if they stay in the trades and maintain off wind sailing conditions for the rest of the trip. But the other tricky part will be if they end up in any doldrums, because then they would have to contend with the mast slamming aft as the boat rolls in swells. I guess if the code sail is up, it will be OK, but if the spin were up they would need to run a halyard forward to take the load. Could lead to a lot of chafe on halyards.