Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

palaimon

LE as dueller

(Source:http://www.alinghi.com/en/multimedia/photos/index.php?categ_vign=617&sous_categ_vign=1006)

post-38360-1255524689_thumb.jpg

"I'll leave my mark in this auld mug!"

(Source:http://www.alinghi.com/en/multimedia/photos/index.php?categ_vign=617&sous_categ_vign=1006)

Not entirely true: from a design point of view there has never been an America's cup so pushing the envelope as this one.

But think about all the teams that were originally involved in the 33 rd AC.

18 entries wiped out by this legal shit.

http://33rd.americascup.com/en/entry.php

18 sponsorships down the drain

and a loss of 13 x 18 = 234 professional yachtsmen jobs.

No wonder the New Volvo Ocean race attracts so much new teams.

Not entirely true: from a design point of view there has never been an America's cup so pushing the envelope as this one.

And here I was not realizing that the America's Cup was a make-work program designed to keep hundreds of sailors employed.

Whether you like it or not, this is the closest the America's Cup has come to what it used to be. Not the legal shit but the actual form of the competition. While the last 15 years have provided excellent match-racing, the America's Cup was traditionally about incredibly wealthy men seeing who could build the fastest most radical boat. Despite how ugly it has all gotten, I for one like that it has returned to this, albeit only temporarily.

"It is not sufficient that I succeed. Everyone else must fail", Larry Ellison.

LE applies his business manners to the America's Cup, and that is a fact.

Reading articles about his business behaviour and his way of running Oracle you find stories you can very precisely relate to how he has managed his sailing team through the years and his ultimate struggle to win with a hostile challenge.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/11/26/1126southwick.html

"For Ellison, the founder and chief executive of Oracle Corporation, is like a modern-day Genghis Khan who has elevated ruthlessness in business to a carefully cultivated art form.

His weapons are not the marauding hordes but his company's possession of a key technology platform, his willingness to exploit it, and his disdain for anyone who gets in his way. That includes subordinates, whom Ellison runs through and discards with unusual ferocity."

The guy even has books written about him, well lets say better, about how he has become the Darth Vader of Silicon Valley and one of the biggest assholes in fucking planet earth... no wonder why he wanted to name USA, Death Star.

http://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Else-Must-F...d/dp/0609610694

More fun here:

http://www.zpub.com/un/un-le.html

"It's an old joke in Silicon Valley. Q: What's the difference between God and Larry Ellison? A: God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison. This week, we learned the difference between Larry Ellison and civilized society.... Gates and Microsoft compete with Oracle by offering consumers lower-priced products. Ellison and Oracle compete with Microsoft by hiring corporate spies operating through front companies, trying to pay off late night cleaning crews. The Difference Between Bill Gates and Larry Ellison By James K. Glassman.

"Hi there, can I buy you a car?" According to accusations from an ongoing trial, that's the approach the Oracle CEO used to convince company secretaries to, ahem, "date" the boss. The case involves a 33-year-old former employee accused of forging an email message. The woman [Adelyn Lee], who was fired shortly after an affair with Ellison, obtained a $100,000 settlement from him. Larry Ellison's All-Time Top Pickup Line

ops a sex scandal two!

There more I search and read the more fun I have... this drawing says it all... Larry Ellison is trying to win the Cup by shooting it and then taking it to the taxidermist!

Maybe he just wants the cup to hang it on the walls next to the rhino and the antelope! :blink:

And here I was not realizing that the America's Cup was a make-work program designed to keep hundreds of sailors employed.

Whether you like it or not, this is the closest the America's Cup has come to what it used to be. Not the legal shit but the actual form of the competition. While the last 15 years have provided excellent match-racing, the America's Cup was traditionally about incredibly wealthy men seeing who could build the fastest most radical boat. Despite how ugly it has all gotten, I for one like that it has returned to this, albeit only temporarily.

+1

Guess so. And you know what: after spending a few days in Porto Cervo this summer and observing the obscene ostentation of wealth there, I think LE and EB have at least the redeeming trait of allowing us to vicariously share their obsession ..

Here's what I want to see:

The America's Cup

Ernesto sitting on top of it

With his pants down around his ankles

About to wipe his ass with the Deed of gift.

Get it to me tonight and win an SA hat.

The America's Cup

Hey Mr. C., this Ellison-cartoon hits the nail on the head, doesn't it?

How’s this for a caption:

Once again Alinghi demonstrate their unsportsmanlike conduct, contempt for the traditions of the America's Cup and overall lack of good taste and etiquette.

Reading articles about his business behaviour and his way of running Oracle you find stories you can very precisely relate to how he has managed his sailing team through the years and his ultimate struggle to win with a hostile challenge.

"For Ellison, the founder and chief executive of Oracle Corporation, is like a modern-day Genghis Khan who has elevated ruthlessness in business to a carefully cultivated art form.

His weapons are not the marauding hordes but his company's possession of a key technology platform, his willingness to exploit it, and his disdain for anyone who gets in his way. That includes subordinates, whom Ellison runs through and discards with unusual ferocity."

The guy even has books written about him, well lets say better, about how he has become the Darth Vader of Silicon Valley and one of the biggest assholes in fucking planet earth... no wonder why he wanted to name USA, Death Star.

More fun here:

"It's an old joke in Silicon Valley. Q: What's the difference between God and Larry Ellison? A: God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison. This week, we learned the difference between Larry Ellison and civilized society.... Gates and Microsoft compete with Oracle by offering consumers lower-priced products. Ellison and Oracle compete with Microsoft by hiring corporate spies operating through front companies, trying to pay off late night cleaning crews. The Difference Between Bill Gates and Larry Ellison By James K. Glassman.

"Hi there, can I buy you a car?" According to accusations from an ongoing trial, that's the approach the Oracle CEO used to convince company secretaries to, ahem, "date" the boss. The case involves a 33-year-old former employee accused of forging an email message. The woman [Adelyn Lee], who was fired shortly after an affair with Ellison, obtained a $100,000 settlement from him. Larry Ellison's All-Time Top Pickup Line

ops a sex scandal two!

There more I search and read the more fun I have... this drawing says it all... Larry Ellison is trying to win the Cup by shooting it and then taking it to the taxidermist!

Maybe he just wants the cup to hang it on the walls next to the rhino and the antelope! :blink:

OOH, OOH, I Get to Do it!

FRACK OFF NOOB!!!!!

How’s this for a caption:

Once again Alinghi demonstrate their unsportsmanlike conduct, contempt for the traditions of the America's Cup and overall lack of good taste and etiquette.

Perfect. You Win.

How's this for a caption:

Perfect. You Win.

Oh no, not so fast!

Most BORains are still asleep! Sure, we will get better captions.

And BTW: He nearly "quoted" from JK only by changing the name.

Perfect. You Win.

Oh no, not so fast!

Most BORains are still asleep! Sure, we will get better captions.

And BTW: He nearly "quoted" from JK only by changing the name.

No I didn't, and BTW, I'd say offer the same caption with BOR in it should they post something as crass as this.

No I didn't, and BTW, I'd say offer the same caption with BOR in it should they post something as crass as this.

To you.

If Larry is to have shot something, it should have been the original AC33 protocol, oh wait, it was full of holes to begin with.

The America's Cup

Hey Mr. C., this Ellison-cartoon hits the nail on the head, doesn't it?

Not really, but the one I just got in my email inbox sure does. Front page baby!

Guess so. And you know what: after spending a few days in Porto Cervo this summer and observing the obscene ostentation of wealth there, I think LE and EB have at least the redeeming trait of allowing us to vicariously share their obsession ..

Now that's no way to treat our nouveau riche Russians, Iraqi contractors, RAK ministers...... :D

More fun here:

ops a sex scandal two!

OOH, OOH, I Get to Do it!

FRACK OFF NOOB!!!!!

Thank you!

Damn but we have some talented mofo'ers around this place.

America's Bowl is what I'm calling this one.

Bertarelli_cup.jpg

Me likey.

I have a funny feeling this might have to make it onto the back of a SAAC T-shirt (or two). Paging Dry Armour...

10 out of 10 by the judges!!!

quite the opposite is true ! a picture is worth 1000 words

You forgot the capture. How about this:

OK Larry, at least your pettifogger won the cup for you. We will not appeal, but let me complete.

I love it. I would definitely buy a t-shirt with that on the back.

I'd also like to see one which represents the ISAF/SNG deal and rule 69.2...which ISAF doesn't think applies to them even though they enforce it.

The more I think about the more it looks like EB and Göran Petersson in a compromising position (read 69 here) denying they are in a 69....

Tom

"Ernie has so destroyed the America's cup and it's tradition, that's is all but dead. I'll just go ahead and put it out of it's misery."

post-56-1255626652_thumb.jpg

Very clever! lol

Credit to O'Brien, it does all have a Halloweenish look to it. Your mask idea fits right in!