Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Ash Your Questions

What do you get when you take a few of the most high-tech multihulls ever built, add a couple of lawsuits, sprinkle in some of the best sailors in the world, and throw it all together onto a ‘purpose-built island’ in the Middle East ? The 33rd America ’s Cup, that’s what.

Bickering and lawsuits aside, who are these boots-on-the-deck that make the 90’ multi-monsters smolder around the track? To say the least, both teams are comprised of some well-known and seasoned sailors. In the case of BMW Oracle, they brought in multi-master Glenn Ashby to help focus all of their talent on one thing, to sail the boat as fast as possible.

Ashby, a 6 time World A-class champ, two-time Olympic Tornado Class world title holder, three-time international F18 title holder, and all-around nice guy, has the right skill-set for the job. Ashby knows how to make the small cats go fast, and he’s figured out a way to transfer his knowledge to the big ones.

If you could ask Glenn a question, what would it be? Well, after much prodding, BMWOracle Racing has opened up the communication lines so that we lowly sailors can ask Glenn a few questions next week. A few parameters: Don’t ask about law-suits, or anything that would fall under the administrative domain. Glenn knows how to pull the strings and build the team, not how to sit in court. Dig? This is going to be a nuts-and-bolts interview, so ask away. Clean and I will pick the top 20 questions.

Let ‘er rip!

-Jeremy (SurfCityCatamarans)

10/16/2009

If Catamarans are re-instated into the Olympics, will you resume your campaign to win that Gold?

Do you think the AC's very visible multihull excitement will produce more multihull converts? Do you think it will help get a Multihull back in the Olympics?

If we do get a multi back in the big O, do you think it should stay as the Tornado or go F18/Tiger?

Are yo going to do an LAC campaign with Jimmy?

What do you feel is Dogzilla's three biggest on the water challenges (such as last minute rule changes, wind conditions, speed differentials, etc) to overcome in order to beat Cheezilla?

Can I go for a ride after the AC? Seriously, something like the DC's America's Cup experience in San Diego would be a blast on that tri.

Are there any tactical advantages or disadvantages you foresee racing the Oracle trimaran against the Alinghi catamaran? a wing vs soft sail?

Any updates on the AGS3? And where can I get one?

What kind of trickle down do you think we'll see from DZ and CZ to the beach cats?

What is your favorite boat to sail on?

Have you been practicing passing maneuvers on the BMWO 90?

Any "skidmarks on the y-front" moments, e.g. did anyone soil themselves on a big boys' bearaway?

W/L courses will be relatively OK. But how 'white-knuckles' are the two reaching legs for the triangle?

Any updates on the AGS3? And where can I get one?

What kind of trickle down do you think we'll see from DZ and CZ to the beach cats?

What is your favorite boat to sail on?

Sorry, that was supposed to say ASG3...

Are you ready to sell me your A cat yet? ;)

Almost every newer 20ft cat is designed with a unirig but a lot of them get converted to sloop rigs by their owners. As an A cat and therefore unirig sailor and as sail maker can you explain the superiority of the unirig as perceived by designers?

Looking forward to reading the interview

Are A's ever going to become a popular class like lasers or H16's or remain limited to those few who can afford big dollars to remain competitive

Bimare produce a carbon A Class called the V-1 Carbon (75kg) and a budget version called the V-1 Fibre made out of fibreglass for a few thousand euro less.

Do you think Gel-Tek would ever look at producing a simular budget A class, perhaps even with an alloy stick and beams?

Can you give the basics of the diamonshrouded turning mast trimming, what affects what and what are the goals for different trims?

Can you give some spreader rake & diamond tension guidelines for different kinds of boats with some crew weight ranges?

What is the best way of comparing boatspeed and trims? 2 boat comparison? a coach boat? High tech onboard electronics? All together?

Are there any 'secret weapons' in the BMWOracle arsenal, and did they surprise you at all when you first learned of them.

Why is it that everytime i get a great start and see you buried (happened a number of times at A worlds and Taipan Nats) half-way up the work you are back up with me and generally in a better position! What are your strategies in these situations? And how do you manage the traffic, the bad air?

half-way up the work you are back up with me and generally in a better position! What are your strategies in these situations?

To sail quicker then you mate :P

...say ASG3...

protoorange3.jpg

img_1256_resize.jpg

J

Why is it that everytime i get a great start and see you buried (happened a number of times at A worlds and Taipan Nats) half-way up the work you are back up with me and generally in a better position! What are your strategies in these situations? And how do you manage the traffic, the bad air?

Note trap style, noticed this at Belmont and made the comment then too.

Having now played quite a bit with Ben's wing on the A do you see a future for these rigs on off the beach cats?

Are there any plans for other ASG designs? F18 etc?

...say ASG3...

protoorange3.jpg

img_1256_resize.jpg

J

Note trap style, noticed this at Belmont and made the comment then too.

Got the same trap style too. Got the exact same boat and set up. My boat was actually built for him but due to shipping timings I got his and he got the next one made. But he is just a freak.

half-way up the work you are back up with me and generally in a better position! What are your strategies in these situations?

Thanks dude, haha. And you got a boat yet?

May have to wait another season, after the house has been built. Stepping up front on a Tornado (Ashby/Williams ex Marstrom) this season at Somers.

May have to wait another season, after the house has been built. Stepping up front on a Tornado (Ashby/Williams ex Marstrom) this season at Somers.

V cheap Flyer for sale in Sing (not mine) if you are interested. Hardly used and owner now owns a yacht. Let me know if you want to jump on an A.

What is it like to train some of the top monohull sailors on how to adapt to racing multihull?

You are on an innovative new trimaran, how different is this to sail than your A-cat and Tornado?

You have seen what BMWO90 has for speed and manueverability, how do you think it handles and responds in relation to A5?

With multihulls out of the Olympics for 2012, what are your plans outside of the A-class and F-18's?

Do you think that the Tornado should be the multihull for 2016 if multihulls are restored to the Olympics?

Given the current legal situation that surrounds the AC, what are your thoughts about the status of the AC and it's future?

Do you like the fact that this AC will raced on state of the art multihulls?

How much of the foil technology that both teams are using will be able to translate into A-cat platforms in the future?

Good to hear Griffo as a good crew lined up. Make sure you don't let him down like I did.

personally the details of the boat are not valuable to anyone here.

We all know issues with sailing, event participation and getting people into the sport.

The forum should include a question

"direction of sailing- what should be done?"

Commentary- Going from sailing Farr40s to a sailing an F18, hard to go back. So why is it that club members and clubs are not embracing multis? Storage costs are solved, transportation issues solved, budgets solved, crew coordination issued solved. I mean everything about the F18 and multi sailing are prime.... except for the stigma of 1980 and the incumbent managers of most "hobie" events.

Having open discussions from people in the business on this would be valuable to know if either I am completely out of touch with reality, or if indeed we really need fundamental changes in the entire leadership of the sport to actively promote cats (and dingys in general)

Here in perth we have cherubs and javelins- f'n awsome. Why is it that kids still sail pos sabots? After sailing a sabot why would a kid ever want to go back for more?

The BOR90 and A5 have now in my mind set a precedent for us to progress to more multi club involvement

There is a very good chance one (or both) boats will break.

In your view, which most is most vulnerable to breakage?

And why?

In AC Anarchy there's a bunch of threads with people speculating about the details of the boat, so it obviously matters to someone.

After sailing a sabot why would a kid ever want to go back for more?

I'm happy to ask him about general multi sailing and the direction he thinks it is going, but I probably won't ask him that^^^

How about a more concise question?

No one wants me to ask him about, oh, I don't know, maybe the sailplan? ;)

J

In AC Anarchy there's a bunch of threads with people speculating about the details of the boat, so it obviously matters to someone.

After sailing a sabot why would a kid ever want to go back for more?

I'm happy to ask him about general multi sailing and the direction he thinks it is going, but I probably won't ask him that^^^

How about a more concise question?

No one wants me to ask him about, oh, I don't know, maybe the sailplan? ;)

J

I guess most of us are interested in both boats, if and when we see them sail a match ,we'll be interested in the considerations of both design teams. Not so interested in the PR blurbs and headfakes of both teams, AC anarchy has the audience that appreciates those. Nothing but the utmost respect for Glenn Ashby, but right now he's caught up in a game where smoke and mirrors play as much a role as sails and sheets do, perhaps even more so. Don't get me wrong, if I'd been able to get this gig I'd have jumped at the opportunity, I just don't have the impression he'll be able to talk freely. If I'm wrong please ask him about the wingsai and it's design, whether they'll use it or are they going with "soft sails". What does it feel like to tack such an enormous beast...

what sort of loads are you seeing on the tri? say mainsheet load, runner loads? forestay tension loads?

Are you happy or sad about having an engine imposed on you by the rules? And i mean you would be in trouble with manual power v's stored power if you didn't have an engine now the swiss have one and changed the rules to allow it?

What do you think will be most likely the first thing to break on either boat? Hull, Boards, Mast or Sails?

1. Would you say you're any good at sailing A cats?

2. Is the AC now down to a battle of venues with Oracle winning at a windier venue and Alinghi winning at a light wind venue?

Not so interested in the PR blurbs and headfakes of both teams, AC anarchy has the audience that appreciates those.

Word! That's precisely why I wanted to talk to someone that interacts with the team on the boat. As my intro states, I'm not much into the pissing match, court dates, and all the BS, I want to talk about the boat and sailing it. We can all agree that these boats and the people sailing them are pretty incredible. To take a balanced approach, the idea is to interview one of the Alinghi guys next.

J

I read an account of sailing on the big NZL J Boat used in '88 where the writer said that there was very little sailing sensation as the boat was so large and smooth.

How much real sensation to you feel on USA and, for example, do you have to hang onto fittings when she accelerates?

(ie - tell us mortals: what's it like?)

The hull flexing of DZ seemed to create a very dynamic boat. Will switching to a rigid wing increase or decrease the flexing?

Do you see this (the flex) becoming a design in other racing tri's?

WL

Glen

The international catamaran scene has strong classes in Hobie, 16's, F18's and A class's which look good moving forward.. You also have pro circuits racing F28's, Decision 35 and Extreme 40's in Europe which focus on distance or extreme short course racing involving pro's and pro am teams. The niche that is in turmoil is the 20 foot market.

The 20 foot scene is in a mess since the Olympics removed the racing circuit for the Tornado class. The Tornado Class was dominated by Pro's and Olympic sailors and without the Olympics, the class has retrenched and the pro sailors are finding their way in this down economy. Should the class try to recapture the possible Olympic slot in several years or refocus on the interests of the amateur sailor?

What's the future of the 20 foot cat scene. What would be the target market for a 20 foot racing cat?

Should it try to be a buoy's racing pro circuit geared towards getting back in the olympics?

Should it strive to be a Pro Am mix approaching 50 50 or even a higher level of pro participation?

Does a successful 20 foot class help protect the strong F18 class remain mostly amateur with the pro's dropping in for major championships?

Do you need a strict formula like F18's or would a loose formula like A class bring in Tornado's, M20's Modified M20's and Tornado's and the new Nacra 20 be successful?

Should the 20's organize focus on high profile distance races and the extreme sport of competing on an open 20 foot racing catamaran.

Funding for the Tornado Gold Cup pro am circuit never really developed. Is the Olympics the only stamp of excellence that will attract sponsors and $$$ support.

Leadership is critical to success. How should a 20 foot class organize. Should the builders take the lead and agree on some structure and run it. Conversely Is there a a group of sailors who have a direction and the will to drive forward (that we don't know of yet) ?

Big boats have successful racing using IRC or PHRF (Key West in the USA). Could the 20 foot catamaran class sailor embrace a handicap rating system and what flavor of handicapping measurement or performance or PHRF.

For us monohull sailors what should we be looking for as the keys to winning? For example is the pre-start going to be as important, is acceleration the key or top speed, what are typical strategies for the boat behind, and how do you keep these boats from running into each other?

How does this big trimaran react in relation to what you are used to in the A-class? Do you still have the helm and boat response that you find in the smaller cats?

How involved are you or will you be in the fight to get multihulls back in the Olympics?

Given the time that you have spent train ing with BMWO, how quickly and competently are they adjusting to the steep learning curve that this project has placed upon them?

Have you had a chance to helm this boat, if so what do you think about its feel and responsiveness?

BMWO90 has many different foil configurations from straight canted boards to c-boards and now what looks like j-boards, what are the different aspects and performances between these?

There are many different types of hull coatings and paints that allow the boat to go through the water with less resistance such as SLIP and others. I know that Pete Melvin's black A3 uses one such coating. Is the team looking at using these types of coatings or a mechanical controlled device to lower the resistance on the hull and amas?

Your Ashly Geltech Flyer MKII has been racing for almost one year, how has the new configuration changed its performance and what do you see as your next iteration in its development?

With the amount of F18 racing that you currently do, are you considering designing and building boats for this class?

What have been some of your most memorable moments in your vast sailing career.

Good luck,

TTS

I read an account of sailing on the big NZL J Boat used in '88 where the writer said that there was very little sailing sensation as the boat was so large and smooth.

How much real sensation to you feel on USA and, for example, do you have to hang onto fittings when she accelerates?

(ie - tell us mortals: what's it like?)

I wonder too. Does it lay you back in the seat like old muscle car?

J

Since this is supposed to be about the AC....

What do you think it will take to win given the bullshit you've been given in the location you have to sail?

Hi!! My question is not technical, just to know how have you arrived to be one of the best sailors and what kind of life do you have, what have you studied, if you have family, if you have had enaugh money to sail or you have had to work, of just find an sponsor :lol: , how did you start sailing and if you could give us some tips to have chances to sail etc. and, which class do you recomend us to learn and become very good sailors?

thankyou very much :rolleyes:

good wind!

Given the extreme nature of these 2 boats, and their radically different design approaches, it seems very unlikely that they will be an even match in any given wind/wave condition. So, since there will almost certainly be a speed differential once the boats are off the line, how do you plan and practice race tactics to specifically cope with this. For example, if you feel that in a certain set of conditions Cheezilla will likely be faster, doesn't this place a tremendous amount of pressure on the pre-start to draw a foul, or a strong controlling position? And, if so, are down-speed manuvers in this huge beast even possible with any precision? And if possible, how do you go about practicing it? Any other tactics down-course can you use to cope with the speed differential issue?

Ashby, a 6 time World A-class champ, two-time Olympic Tornado Class world title holder, three-time international F18 title holder, and ...

... and a silver medalist in the tornados at beijing 2008

As a single handed sailor, you obviously had to make some changes to sail with bundy on the T, sharing responsibilities both on and off the water. How different is it now sailing on possibly the biggest sailing team in the world with large numbers of crew on board. Have you had to change your comunications skills at all, and is it nice to not be thoroughly involved in the running and up keep of the boat?

Glen what’s your favorite beer/food pairing?

Have you had to change your comunications skills at all?

"Fuckin' oath mate!"

:P:P:P

Once BOR switches to the hard wing, will they need to be commited to the wing only? Or will the hull and systems still allow either the wing or soft sail rigs to be interchangable at anytime without additional "surgery"?

Do you feel that there will be any wind ranges that may be considered a weakness for DZ? Can the potentially superior efficiency of the wing make up the presumed weight disadvantage of DZ in light airs?

Do you personally feel that there will be much of a weight difference between DZ and the big cheese in their respective final configurations in February?

Do you believe that it is likely that the date of the match will be pushed back as a result of the recent court filings?

Would you welcome a delay to allow more time to test and develop the new wing, systems?

Do you feel that DZ will be at her most competitive compared to CZ in the typical conditions of RAK or Valencia in Feb? Same question for May?

Do you have any concerns with sailing with a hardwing in Valencia in Feb considering that the sea and wind conditions can sometimes get pretty rough that time of year.

Is the newly modded wing rigged DZ designed to cope with the potential of something like 20kts and choppy 5ft seas? More?

Will you have a backup power source to power DZ's systems in case the engine quits while racing? Such as a second engine to share the loads equally and be a stand alone if required in case of a single engine failure (like an engine out scenario in a twin engine plane) Will there be some sort of minimal manual powered backup in case of emergency?

How many crew members do you suspect that you will race with now that the engine powered systems are onboard?

Will the general engine and exhaust noise be quiet enough not to completely ruin the pure "experience" of sail that beast?

What legs or roundings do you expect to be the most challenging or potentially dangerous. Windward mark roundings bearing off in a sizable breeze?

How much of DZ's control systems will be of the "fly by wire" variety? As in, how much of the active sail handling, canting, foil control, etc will be manipulated as a direct result of computer processing power, rather than directly(intellectually) from sailors themselves. On a 1 to 10 scale. 1 being a 1960's Cessna 150, 10 being a stealth fighter!

How do you expect the wing to compare performance wise to the M3 rig? Are there any conditions that you would forsee that could favor a soft sail rig instead of the wing?

What is the maximun windspeed, sea state conditions that DZ is "comfortable" with?

So far, CZ has had very little training time on the boat, and apparently hardly any experience with more than rather mild breeze and waves. Do you feel that CZ has been built so lightly that it is structurally questionable whether she can handle much more than 10kts, 2-3ft seas?

Do you expect Alinghi to do much more physical design developement besides the coming addition of their large cheesestick(mast) and rudder and foil testing? For example, do you see the possibility of new hulls being built and tested before the match?

If the court upholds Alinghi's venue of RAK, do you expect that BOR will be told that they are "on their own" by RAK officials to provide themselves with whatever they need for a proper base for DZ? Like "Here's your piece of dirt, good luck!"

Has BOR arranged for a level of private on water/on land security if headed to RAK?

Where is the "Ooooohhhh SHIT" button located on DZ? Is there one for each helming station? What exactly does it activate?

Any predictions to DZ's ultimate speed potential both in match racing trim and potential speed after modifications specifically for closed course speed runs?

How worried are you that one of DZ's cutting edge systems may fail to operate when it is needed most(while racing)?

Besides being pretty tough on the blocks and winches(and a sail track issue with M2 ;) ) how well has DZ been holding together? Has maintenence issue caused much of a serious problem so far? Do you expect the new systems to have serious teething problems to debug?

What were your biggest suprises so far regarding how DZ sails/performs?

Were there any significant suprises that cropped up for the designers. As in real life performance suprisingly different that what was anticipated.

The choice to presumably drop the centerboard and center rudder in favor of larger ama rudders and j-foils instead of the banana boards. Was that as a direct result of gearing toward a lighter air venue?

I'm done, my brain hurts...

SB

Since you have been tapped by BMW Oracle for tuning the crew on BOR90 I'm curious what adaptations, differences, and adjustments you've had to think about regarding the differences between sailing smaller catamarans and DOGzilla. On some levels it's a big A-Cat but there must be some HUGE differences. Thoughts?

Ashby, a 6 time World A-class champ, two-time Olympic Tornado Class world title holder, three-time international F18 title holder, and ...

Make that 3 x Tornado World Champion

1 x Olympic Silver Medal (2008)

3 x Tornado World Championships (2006, 2008,2009)

1 x Tornado European (Nyberg) Championships (2007)

2 x ISAF World Sailing Games (Multihull) (2002, 2006)

3 x Formula 18 World Championships (2004, 2005, 2007)

6 x A Class World Championships (1996, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008)

Held 3 world championships in 2008 - A Class, Tornado and F18

You've done and won everything currently possible on an off the beach cat. Having now spent some time playing with BMW-O do you see your focus moving towards maxi multihulls? If you were asked to join a JV around the world campaign or similar, would you be interested?

You've done and won everything currently possible on an off the beach cat. Having now spent some time playing with BMW-O do you see your focus moving towards maxi multihulls? If you were asked to join a JV around the world campaign or similar, would you be interested?

Interesting question. Coincidentally, Boywe Bekking was asked a reciprocal question in an interview published in SA's first page today:

SA: As a spectator, what type of boats and racing do you find to be the most compelling?

BB: Fast and exiting boats like moths and catamarans, they are full of action and fun to look at.

6 x A Class World Championships (1996, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008)

And also won an Etchells Nationals in Oz crewing for Bulka. And won the Taipan 4.9 sloop/cat and 5.7 nats too (one of the Taipan 4.9 sloop was with his sister who had only trapezed twice before). And the Paper Tigers. And ....

And also won an Etchells Nationals in Oz crewing for Bulka. And won the Taipan 4.9 sloop/cat and 5.7 nats too (one of the Taipan 4.9 sloop was with his sister who had only trapezed twice before). And the Paper Tigers. And ....

Yep! The dude's a bad ass sailor for sure!

I have the interview scheduled for early next week. Glenn is due back in CA Tue, so I'll give him a day to land.

Thanks for the questions! Keep them coming.

J

If cat's make it back into the Olympics, what about a singlehander like the A-cat instead?

You could race the worlds/selection events on your chosen gear, and then identical production boats of the latest hi-tech design are provided for the games.

I have the interview scheduled for early next week. Glenn is due back in CA Tue, so I'll give him a day to land.

Thanks for the questions! Keep them coming.

J

Ask about the curved boards and other updates on his new ASG3...

67 x A Class World Championships (1996, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009)

Hmmm, nice sailing CV :)

tell us mortals: what's it like [to sail on Dogzilla]?

Two lines of inquiry that I hope Glen can address:

1. Expanding on bomvo's question: Can you explain how it feels to sail on Dogzilla? How does it compare to sailing a beach cat? How would you describe the experience to a sport boat sailor?

2. What advice would you give a sailor who is just getting started on catamarans? Start with a large fleet like the Hobie 16? Try to keep up in an A-cat fleet, even if you'll start out way back? Something in between?

Looking forward to this interview, Jeremy! Will you be able to do it in person? (No idea how far you are from San Diego.)

OK everyone, thanks for all of the questions. Glenn is going to be back in The States today, so I'll give him a chance to land then bombard him. I think there are some interesting developments over at The Pound.

And thanks for the corrections and additions to his resume. I ganked the info from Glen's Page www.ashbysails.com and apparently he's been busy with something else and hasn't updated his info...and I forgot it was 2009.

Here's a question for you:

7 x A Class World Championships (1996, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)

Name a sailor that has more world titles in at least 3 different classes, multi or mono?

7 x A Class World Championships (1996, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)

Name a sailor that has more world titles in at least 3 different classes, multi or mono?

According to Wikipedia, Paul Elvstrom won fifteen world championships in eight different types of boat, including Snipe, Soling, Star, Flying Dutchman and Finn. He also won four olympic gold medals, one in the Firely and three in the Finn. Interestingly, he finished his career as a Tornado sailor.

Luiz

Nice breakfast read Surf City, thanks for the effort. Looking forward to the rest of innerview tomorrow...

Nice breakfast read Surf City, thanks for the effort. Looking forward to the rest of innerview tomorrow...

Glad you enjoyed it! Wish I would have scheduled the interview AFTER the rig came down. That would have been pretty cool. I did send him a brief email after I heard and all he said was:

...yeah everyone is ok. big mast big loads. big bang. we will be back.....

Next Stop... Havamega.

J

Thanks for the effort, Jeremy. Always great to hear it straight from a Guru's mouth. Like the Innerview with Hobie Alter earlier this year.

Enjoy HavaMega!