Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slow Ed

OTWA Jumps the Shark

Clean and his band of merry men are at it again and it's just another bunch of excuses for videos that are choppy and sophomoric. There isn't anyone on the boat that has a clue what is going on in the sequence or the race.

On the other hand when Clean interviews the competitors they are usually well run interviews and quite informative.

Flame me if you must but the coverage so far sucks.

They lost me at the kegstand

"awesome. that was fucking awesome"

whatever

on the water arrested development

i would rather have some well written narrative about what's going on out on the course with things like:

who nailed the start

who got buried

who can ya hear screaming at other boats

what is going on up the beat

where are they going

how much of a lead does the first boat have over the next

when did they finish..

oh wait.. those are the first questions they teach at journalism school.. can't expect this crew to know that.. my bad..

seriously, they spend more time jerking each other off about how great this covereage is going to be in a minute...

just keep a thread updated with whats going on and put the fucking cameras away for now

the video is totally unwatchable. no gimbal and no stabilization doesn't work for this..

they'd be better off uploading low res stills every couple minutes

Some mark rounding covers were decent today, a few glitches, but getting better all the time.

You've got to admit they're getting better.

Also: some them "merry men" are womenies.

I think it would have been better if they could have solved the tech issues earlier on. I was just listening to the audio (when it was there) while I was tearing apart the GhettoTender. Once the stream stayed solid I found it enjoyable, but without seeing the vid I have no idea if they knew what they were reporting.

I didn't see the keg stand stuff, but I can see where that should probably left out. Some things that happen at regattas should stay at the regatta. Painting the sport as a booze fueled drug frenzy with bits of time in a boat here and there isn't going to help the sport in the long run. When that becomes the focus it's hard to get people to take this sport seriously.

Give 'em time. It'll get better.

Shoddy and in the real world, you don't get hired again.

With that said, I appreciate the effort but some testing/dress rehearsal would seem prudent, logical, and responsible.

Shoddy and in the real world, you don't get hired again.

With that said, I appreciate the effort but some testing/dress rehearsal would seem prudent, logical, and responsible.

Well, there's 3 good reasons not to do it right there.

Give 'em time. It'll get better.

I think you're wrong about that. It's getting worse. The basic idea is great. And when Alan focuses on the fleet and capturing starts, roundings and finishes, along with his knowledge of the competitors, it's really great.

Instead of getting better at what he's good at, Alan insists on turning it into a sideshow. It started at KWRW last year and has gone downhill. Even the Melges 32 coverage skimped on the water in favor of Alan's desire to be a talk show host.

Too bad. Someone else will focus on the sport and leave the social stuff to the people who are there. The sport has the maximum appeal and they'll take this away from SA and make it part of the regatta package--which is probably where it belongs.

Having been involved in the Viper NA attempted coverage last month (while Clean was in Italy I should add), here's what i think should be changed.

Top priority should be to secure a good boat to use as a vid platform, and you need that boat available 2 days before the event. If that's where the sponsor dollars go then so be it.

Volunteers and to a certain extent vid equipment / PC's are much easier to scare up.

If Alan can't make it till last minute then get some locals to work thru the tech leading up to the event. Melges worlds even had a practice regatta to practice on - anything that is worthy of OTW will have boats out practicing at least 2 days prior.

After its all working then spend time going to the airport to pickup Katie or whoever, tech & boat workup have to be top priority - so know your limits the night before.

(BTW Katie looks hotter than ever and could make great on air talent - but Alan, could you not have told her who Ralfie was before that interview ?)

Thanks Essex, it is damned true that the platform is a big part of the success of any sailing production; part of the reason why guys like Pierrick Contin drive 40,000 km in a year towing their specialized RIBS from regatta to regatta. We have our own ideas for what would make the perfect coverage vehicle, and hopefully 2010 will see it get under way.

But it doesn't solve the problems one faces when you can't bring your own boat, when you don't have perfect connections, when there's no time to sort out the crew, and worst of all, when the technology hasn't caught up to what you want to do. We've been in that boat for the entire time we've been doing this stuff, which, as you remember, all started because SA'ers thought their friends might be interested in what was going on down in KW.

If there was money or technology to do this properly, people would have been doing it long ago. There generally isn't, so we have had to figure out how to bring more coverage than anyone else to more people than anyone else for very little money. And the feedback we get is generally awesome - it's been a long time since people shunned me at an event - now they tell Mer and I how much they loved this coverage or that coverage, and it feels great. That's not to say we're happy with where we are, but we are certainly happy at the progress we've made and where we're going. And of course we're happy that our schedule is already pretty busy for next year, and we'll be traveling to more great places than ever before. Hopefully many of you will be along to watch it develop, and to help guide us along the way.

Having been involved in the Viper NA attempted coverage last month (while Clean was in Italy I should add), here's what i think should be changed.

Top priority should be to secure a good boat to use as a vid platform, and you need that boat available 2 days before the event. If that's where the sponsor dollars go then so be it.

Volunteers and to a certain extent vid equipment / PC's are much easier to scare up.

If Alan can't make it till last minute then get some locals to work thru the tech leading up to the event. Melges worlds even had a practice regatta to practice on - anything that is worthy of OTW will have boats out practicing at least 2 days prior.

After its all working then spend time going to the airport to pickup Katie or whoever, tech & boat workup have to be top priority - so know your limits the night before.

(BTW Katie looks hotter than ever and could make great on air talent - but Alan, could you not have told her who Ralfie was before that interview ?)

+1

Rather than being a dick about it why not be constructive with what you say. I'm referring to the OP and not essex

A product was advertised/promised, was it delivered? Clean, to think you're on the cutting edge of technology should be laughable to anyone who can add 2+2. Again, I appreciate the effort but Sean Connery's words from The Rock resonate and Mer is cute enough to be a prom queen!

I hope it gets better!

A product was advertised/promised, was it delivered? Clean, to think you're on the cutting edge of technology should be laughable to anyone who can add 2+2. Again, I appreciate the effort but Sean Connery's words from The Rock resonate and Mer is cute enough to be a prom queen!

I hope it gets better!

We promised live streaming video from the Melges 24 Worlds, commentary, pics, and daily highlight reels, which we've delivered to a big pile of people already. Every single issue we've had revolves around bandwidth, and when it comes to low-cost delivery of video from the water, you're damned straight we're on the cutting edge of technology. Anyone can spend $16,000 to stream a week's worth of video to the web - incidentally, that's the quote I got from a satellite provider - but finding a way to do it on the kind of budget that can be supported by such a niche sport is a far different proposition. If the technology proves elusive, we'll adapt as we always have. More likely, we'll keep looking for the newest, cheapest way to do what we need to do for as many events as we can.

Again, I appreciate your efforts, but, you are not a technologist. You have to look beyond what is on the shelf and test whatever solution you compose.

Why no dry run?

And if you disagree, what frequency/bandwidth are you working with and what's the gain of your antenna?

Again, I appreciate your efforts, but, you are not a technologist. You have to look beyond what is on the shelf and test whatever solution you compose.

Why no dry run?

And if you disagree, what frequency/bandwidth are you working with and what's the gain of your antenna?

This is definitely not off-the-shelf shit, that's pretty funny actually considering the maze of cables and amplifiers running down the boat!

We did a dry run on Saturday for 3 hours with solid results in three different spots on the bay. Our sponsor is the owner of Charleston Harbor Access and an electrical engineer with a major telecom company for his day job. We actually have two different systems that we can alternate to maintain that magic 500 kpbs number that we need so bad, but at times yesterday and today, we couldn't get half that despite getting it solidly all day on Saturday. Shit happens, I guess, and our job is to make it happen less and less.

He tells me that the next step is onboard or helmet cameras on with transmitters on raceboats shooting to a high-gain antenna on the HQ boat, so we can switch from our view to the racers' views when they are in range. That will make things a hell of a lot more exciting, especially when we're running from top to bottom mark in breeze. But again, it's a matter of sourcing, funding, and testing the shit in the kind of conditions that sloshing salt water, wind and waves produce.

If you have other ideas, I'm all ears. We want this to be as good as possible.

Thanks Clean. Appreciate all of your effort to bring this to us. Thanks also to SA and all the sponsors to make this possible.

Start with and perfect the basics. Then move up from there. Earn the respect from your peers. Then you can experiment. Ten seconds of something cool is missed if everyone tunes out the coverage because you missed the basics all week.

Create a forum for the serious stuff and one for the sophomoronic stuff. Sometimes ya gotta do it with class.

Remember it's only been 9 months since you were in trouble at Key West. Not a long, long time as you seem to recall.

Thanks Clean. Appreciate all of your effort to bring this to us. Thanks also to SA and all the sponsors to make this possible.

What he said.

And more Katie!

Ok, what he said.

Good stuff Clean...keep it up...

I still think for us at home tracking along with play by play audio is the way to go (i.e. NYYC swan regatta) it was cool to watch the tracks and follw each race live to get the whole picture of each boat....I know it would involve each boat having tracking and the cost involved with that...

The footage for end of the day stuff showing what you guys captured could follow as a "wrap up" for each day...

Just imagine being able to toggle between circles for Key West to watch the action along with play by play from each circle to give the "color" to the commenatry...

just my thoughts...again what I get to see from home from your coverage now is better then 2 years ago which was a poorly written piece about the days events along with final results...

I am pretty impressed with what has been achieved. What's the alternative? Watching Tucker Thopson polished turd weeks after the event?? Is not perfect but the basic idea is great.

It would be interesting to see a vid explaining how it is put together and what equipment is being used.

Cheers for getting this together and helping out those stuck at work.

Oh and more Katie less Clean. this is TV! You are ugly she is not...

Thanks Essex, it is damned true that the platform is a big part of the success of any sailing production; part of the reason why guys like Pierrick Contin drive 40,000 km in a year towing their specialized RIBS from regatta to regatta. We have our own ideas for what would make the perfect coverage vehicle, and hopefully 2010 will see it get under way.

But it doesn't solve the problems one faces when you can't bring your own boat, when you don't have perfect connections, when there's no time to sort out the crew, and worst of all, when the technology hasn't caught up to what you want to do. We've been in that boat for the entire time we've been doing this stuff, which, as you remember, all started because SA'ers thought their friends might be interested in what was going on down in KW.

If there was money or technology to do this properly, people would have been doing it long ago. There generally isn't, so we have had to figure out how to bring more coverage than anyone else to more people than anyone else for very little money. And the feedback we get is generally awesome - it's been a long time since people shunned me at an event - now they tell Mer and I how much they loved this coverage or that coverage, and it feels great. That's not to say we're happy with where we are, but we are certainly happy at the progress we've made and where we're going. And of course we're happy that our schedule is already pretty busy for next year, and we'll be traveling to more great places than ever before. Hopefully many of you will be along to watch it develop, and to help guide us along the way.

The technology is available now, but it isn't cheap or easy to set up and use, and won't be for the foreseeable future. In Clean's defense, it is orders of magnitude harder to get the connection required while a few miles out on the water versus sitting dockside, streaming video and audio require a more complex scheme than blogs and web.

For those ripping away, do it better. While Clean is an on camera attention whore, no one else is doing a better low budget grass roots effort, or reaching as many viewers. As it evolves and attracts more sponsors, the coverage will get better.

Start with a well written real time blog by someone who really knows what is going on. Be able to provide that consistently at every event then add video bits to supplement it.

Seems like you're trying something different at every regatta and lack of familiarity with new equipment, logistics glitches, etc are always used as excuses for inconsistent, spotty or nonexistent coverage.

Get really good with what you have first. All this talk of improvement at future events because of some new piece of equipment that's coming is getting old. You've been doing this for a while now and I appreciate the effort but get back to basics and work from there.

For those ripping away, do it better. While Clean is an on camera attention whore, no one else is doing a better low budget grass roots effort, or reaching as many viewers. As it evolves and attracts more sponsors, the coverage will get better.

damn right...

Tried to show a coworker how cool the boats were - only to hear the Boat capt. scream "Fack,Shi% get the bow!' - All within the first 40 sec..

I understand that this is (mostly) an adults only show but, how do we promote this to the kids ?

Rant off.

sail safe!

I tried to watch, but got f-n seasick at my desk. Just can't stand that.

Try hiking ... it helps!

Tried to show a coworker how cool the boats were - only to hear the Boat capt. scream "Fack,Shi% get the bow!' - All within the first 40 sec..

I understand that this is (mostly) an adults only show but, how do we promote this to the kids ?

Rant off.

sail safe!

Good point! OTOH, my 19 yo daughter swears like a marine. Nothing I can do about it as she lives 700 miles away in Charleston. Straight A full time student with full time jobs, so I can't really complain.

Thanks to all your comments as well as input from our sponsors, we're going to not only bring you the live coverage, but we're also going to put the YouTube clips online a few minutes after we record them - the first one is on the Day 3 thread already. The Eastport 32 makes it a hell of a lot easier, I forgot just how perfect this boat is for what we do. Breeze filling in...I think we might actually start racing soon!

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=98191

Hey, they are out there doing it. Giving them move suggestions will help, being total fuckheads about it won't.

This is how *I* see sailboat racing coverage for folks that know how to race:

Announcer: "Ok, we've got about 30 seconds to the start. The pin end is favored by about 9 degrees. That may be enough to entice someone into chancing a port start, but it doesn't look like anyone is setting up. Wind is as about 160, and has been shading left in the puffs. Wind strength is equal across the course, as is current. Waves are slightly skewed to the course from 140 wind we had this morning, so slogging across the starting line on starboard is going to be slow.

Looks like the majority of the fleet is lining up for a run a the pin end. That's almost sure to result in some over early calls.

10 seconds to go. We've got some action mid line where some late boats are trying to luff the first row boats over early. It looks like Joe fly is set up for a prime start as long as they aren't early.

There's the gun. We've got several over earlies. It looks like the favorites are away clean. I'd expect some early tacks as the waves slow the windward boats and they fall into the leeward ones - it looks like we've already got a couple peeling off right at the boat end.

The leeward most boat has excellent speed, and the boat above him is pinching and slowing the rest of the boats around him. Doesn't look like the pin starting boat got enough of a jump to tack away, so he might be pinned for a while. Breeze has gone 3 to the right now, and that's making his situation worse, but he might be able to wait for a puff coming down the course to tack and cross. We'll see you at the windward mark folks."

That's the kind of commentary I'd expect. At the windward mark, I'd expect a quick breakdown of who is coming up, how they got ahead, and what their strategy should be for the next downwind leg.

A reasonable person notes that the problem begins with the title "OTWA" on the water is a totally bogus way of covering a sail boat race. The proper way is by Helicopter.

For a bunch of sailors you sure like to bitch. When i watch television of almost any kind i watch for about 5 minutes and flip to another channel. Rarely does anything hold my attention. While yes, the camera is shaky, the boat doesn't start all the time and the video quality could be better, I watch all i can get. I do not know everyone in the industry so i don't watch each individual's videos but the on the water footage is fun and upbeat. Keep up the good work Clean.

I am pretty impressed with what has been achieved. What's the alternative? Watching Tucker Thopson polished turd weeks after the event?? Is not perfect but the basic idea is great.

Which is why IM24C is doing it better on you tube. This isn't hard to do and is being done better by the regatta and class in cooperation. Alan's problem is that he can't get out of his own way. watch the video posted on the main page and then tell me how great the coverage is. Camera swings everywhere; commentary is sketchy at best and we hear more about Alan's cell phone and his bitching about other press boats than we do about the racing in any way shape or form.

Hey, they are out there doing it. Giving them move suggestions will help, being total fuckheads about it won't.

Actually, giving Alan suggestions won't help. The coverage gets worse, not better, because Alan is disorganized and incapable of learning from his mistakes. So what we get is excuses about the technology or the haters when the problem is a lack of focus and competence.

And the only reason to keep banging on about it is that SA is the perfect venue for this coverage. If Alan and Scott would grow up a little, we all might be able to have one place to watch sailboat racing. Instead, we have Alan take a fantastic idea--and very good execution--and consistently make it worse every time he tries to improve it.

Actually, giving Alan suggestions won't help. The coverage gets worse, not better, because Alan is disorganized and incapable of learning from his mistakes. So what we get is excuses about the technology or the haters when the problem is a lack of focus and competence.

And the only reason to keep banging on about it is that SA is the perfect venue for this coverage. If Alan and Scott would grow up a little, we all might be able to have one place to watch sailboat racing. Instead, we have Alan take a fantastic idea--and very good execution--and consistently make it worse every time he tries to improve it.

If Clean and Ed grew up it wouldn't be SA it would be Suttlebutt.

Which has higher ratings: PBS "News Hour" or "The Biggest Loser".

People Love a train wreck.

I think the coverage is getting better.

As is Clean's relationship with the OA, PRO etc.

As was said it'll get better with time. If you guys want professional standards, you're going to have to be willing to pay professionals.

In the meantime good enuf fer me.

Bullshit. The issue isn't being crude, confrontational or blunt. The problem is Alan's inability to organize himself and get anything done on time or properly. Instead of providing great coverage about the racing--which he does when he interviews competitors on the dock--what we get in OTW is mostly lots of excuses about being too hungover to have the right equipment, test it, figure out the uploads, position the boat, focus the camera, have some commentary in mind so the moments between the action are used effectively and so on.

He can scratch his balls, curse and run around naked for all I care as long as I could punch up a thread and be able to follow the race in a concise and orderly way. That's what he used to do and it was great.

Now the videos are posted in a jumble. Half of the time the camera is pointed at the sky, water or away from the course and all we hear is "what's that boat?"

my ideal coverage would be some type of real-time blog (mostly text, therefore low bandwidth) supplemented by some stills and live video of some exciting parts (starts roundings, collisions, finishes). in between races would be a good time to show (link to) the filler material, etc. I like being able to skim over some text every little while, then do some real work rather than have to watch the video coverage. I must say that I really enjoyed the Lightning worlds and CofC regatta coverage. although they would do better with some video.

Let's face it, watching a beat is about as exciting as watching paint dry. it is only a small step up from watching coverage of distance track or swimming races. however, if you catch some interesting situation developing, by all means get some video. this is where some text telling us which way teh boats went, or if there's a shift developing, etc. would be much more valuable.

what interests me the least is party coverage. go ahead and record it for your friends (like the birthday party coverage) then put it on your facebook page or something. leave it out of the race coverage, please.

Please save up or have the ed shell out for some sort of stabilized camera. the wind noise is down, at least.

Finally, is there a reason the Sheehy Lexus of Annapolis is not mentioned in the masthead of the OTWA page? they are the regatta sponsors, after all. it would also be good to have the venue mentioned at the top of the thread, as well. if you watch any professional sports, you will notice that these things are mentioned repeatedly which doesn't hurt the coverage at all, and does help out the sponsors (who are in short supply these days).

that's my $0.02. take it or leave it.

Which is why IM24C is doing it better on you tube.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are one of very few that think the IMCA is doing a better job than we are. I just got stats back from Justin.TV, and over 4700 unique IP addresses tuned into our live feed today, with a max simultaneous viewership of 1371. And a shit ton of people stayed for the whole thing, which tells me that we're doing something right.

All that being said, this thread definitely added to our motivation to do the job we did today, and having gone through the footage, I'm extremely happy with it, it is pretty damned close to the vision I had when we took Wash's idea and ran with it. And next year is going to be a blast.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are one of very few that think the IMCA is doing a better job than we are. I just got stats back from Justin.TV, and over 4700 unique IP addresses tuned into our live feed today, with a max simultaneous viewership of 1371. And a shit ton of people stayed for the whole thing, which tells me that we're doing something right.

All that being said, this thread definitely added to our motivation to do the job we did today, and having gone through the footage, I'm extremely happy with it, it is pretty damned close to the vision I had when we took Wash's idea and ran with it. And next year is going to be a blast.

Way to go today Clean! Much better, really appreciate the effort!

I'm a full on nerd so you'll find me watching PBS. That being said, I don't think "The biggest Loser" or "News Hour" is what we want here. A balance somewhere inbetween is what is going to be the ticket. Burnsy and I watched most of the coverage while drinking beer, cooking steaks, and fixing his beater car. I have to say... the coverage today was awful. Have fun, but focus more on the race and less on pounding the beers... during the racing anyway. If you guys want to run live feed later in the evening then go for it. Just try to remember why we're tuning in to start with. It's all about the racing. The legendary parties are secondary if the event has its shit together.

If this doesn't make any sense its probably because were in over a case deep and are now cooking beer can chicken in my garage.

I'm a full on nerd so you'll find me watching PBS. That being said, I don't think "The biggest Loser" or "News Hour" is what we want here. A balance somewhere inbetween is what is going to be the ticket. Burnsy and I watched most of the coverage while drinking beer, cooking steaks, and fixing his beater car. I have to say... the coverage today was awful. Have fun, but focus more on the race and less on pounding the beers... during the racing anyway. If you guys want to run live feed later in the evening then go for it. Just try to remember why we're tuning in to start with. It's all about the racing. The legendary parties are secondary if the event has its shit together.

If this doesn't make any sense its probably because were in over a case deep and are now cooking beer can chicken in my garage.

+1... You are making perfect sense, mate.

The coverage was much better today, it may have been the bigger boat or the lighter winds. The sophomoric and disorganized comments were still there but that is part of Cleans charm.

I like the above comment about learning and perfecting the technology that you have before going on to something new.

I also liked the comment about getting onto a boat and having crew members showing us how they do it. Kinda like a NASCAR cutaway boat.

Get more shots of bow 60, it has our homey Saildry on it.

Lots of hits on a website dont mean shit when the content cant be delivered. When coupled with the comments online it simply indicates there is pent up demand for the product, but a total inability to execute. SA is finally seeing the fundamental problems associated with the entire site. SA is a blog, face it and use the tools that have been developed to host blogs. The old school html front page, and 2001 era forums are crap when compared to what else is out there.

Ive got to hand it to you, youre really trying to deliver some fantastic coverage, but youre using the wrong tools. Take a look at some of the other live blogs from geek sites like engadget and gizmodo to name a few. These places operate on a shoe string budget and actually deliver. While real time video is really cool, but you dont have the budget. Its like the budget m24 racers. If you cant pay, you cant play at that level. There is nothing wrong with being a Cal 25 national champ if thats what you can afford.

SA is a blog, face it and use the tools that have been developed to host blogs. The old school html front page, and 2001 era forums are crap when compared to what else is out there.

SA is not a blog. I fucking hate blogs. All those who either have a blog, or write in response to blogs, are fucking retarded. Fuck 'em.

You got it Shife!

Mmmm......and chicken.

Lots of hits on a website dont mean shit when the content cant be delivered. When coupled with the comments online it simply indicates there is pent up demand for the product, but a total inability to execute. SA is finally seeing the fundamental problems associated with the entire site. SA is a blog, face it and use the tools that have been developed to host blogs. The old school html front page, and 2001 era forums are crap when compared to what else is out there.

Ive got to hand it to you, youre really trying to deliver some fantastic coverage, but youre using the wrong tools. Take a look at some of the other live blogs from geek sites like engadget and gizmodo to name a few. These places operate on a shoe string budget and actually deliver. While real time video is really cool, but you dont have the budget. Its like the budget m24 racers. If you cant pay, you cant play at that level. There is nothing wrong with being a Cal 25 national champ if thats what you can afford.

A classic piece on the subject:

If these words were people, I would embrace their genocide.

Lately I've been hearing a lot of stupid people parroting stupid buzz words. There are too many to list all of them here, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try. I propose that we all agree, here and now, to strike these words and phrases from our collective for the betterment of humanity, and the improvement of my blood pressure. Thank you.

Blog: The word "blog" is literally shorthand for "boring;" a vulgar, overused word that strikes your ear with the dull thud of a cudgel to the soft spot of a child's head. It's an abbreviation used by journalism drop outs to give legitimacy to their shallow opinions and amateur photography that seems to be permanently stuck in first draft hell. Looking in the archives of the blogs, one would expect someone who has been at it for years to slowly hone their craft and improve their writing and photographs, since it's usually safe to assume that if someone does something long enough, he or she will eventually not suck at it. Even with lowered expectations, you'll get a shotgun blast of disappointment in your face.

It's an unspoken rule that every blog must use the same layout as every other blog: long, slender columns of annoyingly condensed text, thousands of links to other blogs, plugs for shitty political books, and more links to yet more blogs:

Much, much more on blogs here.

Actually, the vid you posted of the gate in Race 5 where you narrated the whole thing with info on the boats and the race was fantastic. If you did that all the time--hell, just much of the time--this thing would be glorious. And I have to hand it to you that you have a good camera out there with some beautiful shots.

That's my gripe, Alan. When you're on your game about the races and the competitors you deserve a lot of praise. Unfortunately, you spend most of you time on the sideshow (you) and the information is posted in a shambles. I want to be able to follow a race when I can sit down and follow it.

You used to be able to keep the vids and posts close enough together so I could do that. With the new camera and the help of Katie, you could do excellent coverage if you would focus on getting it done and done right.

I don't see the point in trying to sit in front of computer for an hour while you get 10 minutes of video up. Give me the 10 minutes so I can watch in when its convenient for me and you'll have a great product.

But farting around all the time with the camera flying everywhere but missing the boats and not having commentary is just a waste of everyone's time. And since you're always complaining about everyone else's bad video, you'll just have to put up with my pointing out your shortcomings endlessly until you do something about it.

Time to up your game, Alan.

I'm extremely happy with it, it is pretty damned close to the vision I had when we took Wash's idea and ran with it.

If you think this is damn close to your vision, son, you're seriously lacking in ambition. The vision part is fine. The execution is for under-achievers.

I'm extremely happy with it, it is pretty damned close to the vision I had when we took Wash's idea and ran with it.

If you think this is damn close to your vision, son, you're seriously lacking in ambition. The vision part is fine. The execution is for under-achievers.

son? :lol:

In between CSV import, script debugging and financial clean-ups I had a chance to check out the OTW Anarchy. I tried looking at it the other day, Monday morning I think, and it was very choppy. I didn't really care. I didn't place bets on any of the races and have very few friends racing in this years Worlds.

I appreciate the job that Clean and his team are doing. This is rogue reporting, people should understand that. They are not a live news channel with a teleprompter feeding them line by line scripted material. I am in no way saying that they are unproffesional or unorganized. Quite the opposite. They have a target market, a market that has been researched. I believe that they are hitting their demographic, sailors who race sailboats. On top of that, this demographic, in the last few years, has come to expect new and innovative ways to deliver information to us in a timely manner. SA, with the help of Clean is keeping up with the demands of the target. This is a good formula for a website with "Anarchy" in the name.

This started at KWRW a few years back. We can all remember the bashing that was going on over how bad the coverage was. Again, I had noting invested so I really didn't care. It was just cool to get a report every now and then. Fast forward 2 years, and there were 3 boats covering various circle and fleets, a constant stream of rounding reports and dozens of videos uploaded during the week.

Add to these accomplishments the outstanding quality photography from Meredith and the video edits from Penalty Box Productions, we have been given a gift. We pay nothing for these photos and videos. Often times we are paid to view them. Those of us who work for ourselves do not have the luxury of getting a paycheck for spending 10 hours a week on SA.

Now, we are starting to get live streaming video. I can't believe that people on here have the nerve to complain about the quality. Grow up. Put up or shut up. If you think it is that easy, why not do a live streaming video of you running a marathon. Requirements: The camera can never shake, the wind can never blow in the microphone, and each time you pass a runner or a runner passes you, you must provide details on who they are, where they are from and where they finished in their last marathon. Oh, and then you need to find sponsors and actually get people to tune in.

I personally think you guys rock and that Katie is a nice addition to the team. I only wish I had the time to volunteer to help out during a regatta. It would take me back to my concert reporting/band interviewing days.

Best of luck for the rest of the week.

Hippie

I personally think you guys rock and that Katie is a nice addition to the team.

go the katie - but I don't really look at the all videos live- I would like some more text about what is happening

In between CSV import, script debugging and financial clean-ups I had a chance to check out the OTW Anarchy. I tried looking at it the other day, Monday morning I think, and it was very choppy. I didn't really care. I didn't place bets on any of the races and have very few friends racing in this years Worlds.

I appreciate the job that Clean and his team are doing. This is rogue reporting, people should understand that. They are not a live news channel with a teleprompter feeding them line by line scripted material. I am in no way saying that they are unproffesional or unorganized. Quite the opposite. They have a target market, a market that has been researched. I believe that they are hitting their demographic, sailors who race sailboats. On top of that, this demographic, in the last few years, has come to expect new and innovative ways to deliver information to us in a timely manner. SA, with the help of Clean is keeping up with the demands of the target. This is a good formula for a website with "Anarchy" in the name.

This started at KWRW a few years back. We can all remember the bashing that was going on over how bad the coverage was. Again, I had noting invested so I really didn't care. It was just cool to get a report every now and then. Fast forward 2 years, and there were 3 boats covering various circle and fleets, a constant stream of rounding reports and dozens of videos uploaded during the week.

Add to these accomplishments the outstanding quality photography from Meredith and the video edits from Penalty Box Productions, we have been given a gift. We pay nothing for these photos and videos. Often times we are paid to view them. Those of us who work for ourselves do not have the luxury of getting a paycheck for spending 10 hours a week on SA.

Now, we are starting to get live streaming video. I can't believe that people on here have the nerve to complain about the quality. Grow up. Put up or shut up. If you think it is that easy, why not do a live streaming video of you running a marathon. Requirements: The camera can never shake, the wind can never blow in the microphone, and each time you pass a runner or a runner passes you, you must provide details on who they are, where they are from and where they finished in their last marathon. Oh, and then you need to find sponsors and actually get people to tune in.

I personally think you guys rock and that Katie is a nice addition to the team. I only wish I had the time to volunteer to help out during a regatta. It would take me back to my concert reporting/band interviewing days.

Hippie

I am agreeing 100% with this. Keep it going strong Clean and crew.

You just made our night, dude. Now where do I send that check?

You don't want to know my billable rate.

damn right...

Miah, the authoritative voice!

Getting connected with the regatta organizers takes massive time. Filming on the water and getting anything worthwhile is hard to do. Interviewing and editing interviews isn't easy...

Getting it all uploaded and edited after you've swilled some coolies and spent a little too much time at the regatta party is definitely the biggest challenge. You don't want to miss the party! That's where the real scoop happens.

As far as the Melges coverage is concerned, let's give Clean some credit for, if nothing else, that SCOTW interview on the front page.

Until we can get the kind of money that they spend on football and shit, this is what we get. It's pretty a pretty tough job to do really.

Lets keep in mind that this week we have an opportunity to compare Clean's product with Jobson's NYYC / ESPN show.

I realized that I would watch OTWA everytime over Jobson.

Now if we could just get all those boats / helicopters and resources moved over to OTWA (or maybe Katie should just defect & apply to be ESPN's new on air Sailing correspondent).

Patronizing? Who, me?

Hippie

Amen. Nice work out there. And yes, I do think it is getting better.

Bullshit. The issue isn't being crude, confrontational or blunt. The problem is Alan's inability to organize himself and get anything done on time or properly. Instead of providing great coverage about the racing--which he does when he interviews competitors on the dock--what we get in OTW is mostly lots of excuses about being too hungover to have the right equipment, test it, figure out the uploads, position the boat, focus the camera, have some commentary in mind so the moments between the action are used effectively and so on.

He can scratch his balls, curse and run around naked for all I care as long as I could punch up a thread and be able to follow the race in a concise and orderly way. That's what he used to do and it was great.

Now the videos are posted in a jumble. Half of the time the camera is pointed at the sky, water or away from the course and all we hear is "what's that boat?"

Clean's conflicted - He caught between two styles: gonzo journalism or legitimate sports journalism. The end result is that he's doing neither one well.

Clean's self-description is a "Gonzo Journalist" in the style of Hunter Thompson or Jack Kerouac. If he's Gonzo his "I'm the story, ain't I outrageous is appropriate and possibly even interesting. Unfortunately he's been too reserved to be of much interest as a gonzo, particlarly for the SA crowd. "I got drunk at a sailing party last night and woke up under the tarp of Oldak's Comet" is just not that interesting as most of his readers have done that as well. If he was providing colourful details of what it's like to travel on the binge-drinking sailboat race circuit to non-racers that might be something; but he's not, he's telling stories that most of is readers have lived to one degree or another. Even the most colourful thing he's done, which is getting arrested in Michigan, was only mildly interesting as he held back on telling the tale due to "legal concerns" (as if Hunter Thompson would give a shit about legal concerns).

Clean could also be a legitimate journalist, and a good one at that. He's knowledgable about sailboat racing and charismatic. The attempt to provide real-time coverage of major sailing events on a budget is inspired. I congratulate Clean on going for it and Ed for supporting him. It takes what Tucker has been doing to a whole new level (whether there is a market remains to be seen). Being a legit sports journalist is what most of the readers of this thread are asking for and something the sport could really use. Unfortunately his feeble attempts at "gonzoing" get in the way of being a legitimate sports journalist as he falls into talking about himself and his venture at the expense of insightful discussion about the event and the racers. Interfering with the sporting event itself, which Clean has now done twice, would be an embarrassment to a real sports journalist.

Maybe it's me, but SA loads very slowly when the OTWA is happening...I don't have the patience for a slow page load so I'll see you later.

I am cooler than T2P.tv! And I'm pissed off that no one else gets it! I am! I am the man! I am the man! I am so bad, it's a crime!

I'm officially never purchasing anything from a vendor that sponsors an OTWA event. When appropriate, I will influence others to do the same. The self aggrandizing bullshit is useless and pointless.

I am cooler than T2P.tv! And I'm pissed off that no one else gets it! I am! I am the man! I am the man! I am so bad, it's a crime!

I'm officially never purchasing anything from a vendor that sponsors an OTWA event. When appropriate, I will influence others to do the same. The self aggrandizing bullshit is useless and pointless.

You are correct that Clean mentions the sponsors like a NASCAR driver but I would never rule them out as a source for gear. They are all trying to do there best to bring us gear and things that we can use at the best prices possible. They are also helping to pay for the coverage, no matter what we think of it, that we wouldn't get until the pony express delivers your glossy mags.

This is rogue reporting, people should understand that. They are not a live news channel with a teleprompter feeding them line by line scripted material. I am in no way saying that they are unproffesional or unorganized. Quite the opposite. They have a target market, a market that has been researched. I believe that they are hitting their demographic, sailors who race sailboats.

This started at KWRW a few years back. We can all remember the bashing that was going on over how bad the coverage was.

Where do you come up with this nonsense? No one complained about Clean's reports the first few years. They were great. He took Wash's idea of giving blackberry updates from the mark roundings and gave it depth and immediacy.

Only recently has he begun to go off the rails by ranting against competitors who sought redress--in an incident that he wasn't even the central cause of--and turned the coverage into a bad movie.

When Clean focuses on the race and plans ahead enough to have something to say about the race and the competitors, his coverage is vastly superior to everyone else's. But too much of the time he can't get out on the race course on time. Spends more time diving under the mark than explaining what's happening with the wind, weather and tactics on the racecourse (which, last time I checked, was what the sport was about.) And he's constantly engaging in sad and pointless blowhard battles against race organizers, other media outlets and the 70-year-old Northeastern yachtclub types who ruined the sport.

Even that would be excusable if he could get the video up in an orderly and viewable way that accomplished the main point: presenting each race as a coherent and viewable event. Shaky cameras aren't the issue. You're comment about teleprompters shows that you know nothing about media. There's a huge difference between being prepared with talking points instead of adlibbing and using a Teleprompter.

I can edit video on my laptop easily enough to take out the ends of a shot where the camera is pointed in the bilge or I can plan a shot so that the starting gun, commentary and cameraman are all working to make sure that stuff doesn't get into the shot.

I'd agree with your blanket--hey, at least he's trying so don't criticize him--approach to Alan if he hadn't shot his mouth off and denigrated everyone else who's not him. Having raised the bar by ranting on everyone else, he needs to prove his superiority. And this lame-ass, slacker shit proves the opposite.

I've been involved with T2P.tv and they do first rate work. The prices alluded to in Clean's whingefest, include high quality videography, editing and interesting views of the topic.

Here's an example of something T2p.tv did. That is what the price tag gets you. Clean's offering is free, and free is often low quality which is great until is becomes continuous act of whining and complaining that they are supposedly better. How many companies come to OTWA looking for this type of work?

Last, ditch the comparisons of Jack Kerouac and Hunter Thompson, there is nothing remotely related. I've read much of both (plug here for the scroll version of, "On The Road", wild) and there is nothing that even begins to remind me of it from Clean. Gonzo style writing was a stream of consciousness from near genius individuals that used booze and drugs to expand their views as well as have a great time. Clean just uses them to forget his life.

I've been involved with T2P.tv and they do first rate work. The prices alluded to in Clean's whingefest, include high quality videography, editing and interesting views of the topic.

Here's an example of something T2p.tv did. That is what the price tag gets you. Clean's offering is free, and free is often low quality which is great until is becomes continuous act of whining and complaining that they are supposedly better. How many companies come to OTWA looking for this type of work?

Last, ditch the comparisons of Jack Kerouac and Hunter Thompson, there is nothing remotely related. I've read much of both (plug here for the scroll version of, "On The Road", wild) and there is nothing that even begins to remind me of it from Clean. Gonzo style writing was a stream of consciousness from near genius individuals that used booze and drugs to expand their views as well as have a great time. Clean just uses them to forget his life.

sorry that video was pretty bad

Get 'em Shife

New rule, you can't post in Cleans defenses if you've been caught sucking him off. So you and Shife are out of this thread.

Long before it reaches that level of legitimacy...

...if you have to tell everyone that you're better or important, you're not.

I tuned out after the rant about T2P and how much they suck. I don't care about T2P. I don't watch any of T2P's stuff. If you're not covering the race, I'm not interested. If you have to continuously bash your competition then you obviously are aware that you're not as good as your competition.

Clean,

I expected this week to be rough. This is pretty new territory you're in. I expected rough connections, camera work, commentary, etc.. I had an offer to be there racing and didn't take advantage of it. I'm tuning in to see friends I know and a level of racing that most folks just plain don't get to do very often. You need to keep in mind that racing at this level isn't about pounding beers and smoking weed on the downwind leg. This level of racing is a few notches above that. Your coverage should reflect that. I expect joking around, fun, and you guys showing that you can have a good time. I also expect Worlds level coverage. I don't want to see a bunch of drunks ranting about how much some nerd named Tucker sucks. I can see that live at Barview anytime without having to stare at a computer screen.

Show us the racing and show us that you can do it better than anyone else. Don't tell us... Show us.

A classic piece on the subject:

If these words were people, I would embrace their genocide.

Lately I've been hearing a lot of stupid people parroting stupid buzz words. There are too many to list all of them here, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try. I propose that we all agree, here and now, to strike these words and phrases from our collective for the betterment of humanity, and the improvement of my blood pressure. Thank you.

Blog: The word "blog" is literally shorthand for "boring;" a vulgar, overused word that strikes your ear with the dull thud of a cudgel to the soft spot of a child's head. It's an abbreviation used by journalism drop outs to give legitimacy to their shallow opinions and amateur photography that seems to be permanently stuck in first draft hell. Looking in the archives of the blogs, one would expect someone who has been at it for years to slowly hone their craft and improve their writing and photographs, since it's usually safe to assume that if someone does something long enough, he or she will eventually not suck at it. Even with lowered expectations, you'll get a shotgun blast of disappointment in your face.

It's an unspoken rule that every blog must use the same layout as every other blog: long, slender columns of annoyingly condensed text, thousands of links to other blogs, plugs for shitty political books, and more links to yet more blogs:

Much, much more on blogs here.

your definition fits SA to a T. Bullshit political rants, poor formatting, half rate journalists... You got it all, why not use the actual tools to make it look and work better. Did you even look at the sites I mentioned? Probably not. Dolt.

Get 'em Shife

New rule, you can't post in Cleans defenses if you've been caught sucking him off. So you and Shife are out of this thread.

Any time you want to post under your real name and drop the spineless alias would be fine.

Get 'em Shife

LOL... Now that is funny :lol:

By the way I don;t argue with people on here anymore - It all for fun anyway

Speaking of Funny the T2P Jenneau Ad - now that was funny ... like watching a drunk with the shakes eat soup...

Get 'em Shife

Any time you want to post under your real name and drop the spineless alias would be fine.

We've discussed it and determined your not ready to find out who your father is yet. Maybe when you get a bit older.

We've discussed it and determined your not ready to find out who your father is yet. Maybe when you get a bit older.

Do you get a sense of power from posting anonymously? Does it take the sting away from your inadequacies and feelings of self doubt? When you post do you suddenly feel like you are now on par with your peer base and no longer viewed as the failure you are in your real life? Just curious...

Long before it reaches that level of legitimacy...

...if you have to tell everyone that you're better or important, you're not.

I tuned out after the rant about T2P and how much they suck. I don't care about T2P. I don't watch any of T2P's stuff. If you're not covering the race, I'm not interested. If you have to continuously bash your competition then you obviously are aware that you're not as good as your competition.

Clean,

I expected this week to be rough. This is pretty new territory you're in. I expected rough connections, camera work, commentary, etc.. I had an offer to be there racing and didn't take advantage of it. I'm tuning in to see friends I know and a level of racing that most folks just plain don't get to do very often. You need to keep in mind that racing at this level isn't about pounding beers and smoking weed on the downwind leg. This level of racing is a few notches above that. Your coverage should reflect that. I expect joking around, fun, and you guys showing that you can have a good time. I also expect Worlds level coverage. I don't want to see a bunch of drunks ranting about how much some nerd named Tucker sucks. I can see that live at Barview anytime without having to stare at a computer screen.

Show us the racing and show us that you can do it better than anyone else. Don't tell us... Show us.

Shife ,the voice of reason. It's a damn shame nobody will listen.

When Clean is busy with the boats, he does fine. The free time is what gets him, and Katie too for that matter. Petey seems pretty solid.

I thought today was ALOT better than yesterday, so maybe they are listening a little bit.

Do you get a sense of power from posting anonymously? Does it take the sting away from your inadequacies and feelings of self doubt? When you post do you suddenly feel like you are now on par with your peer base and no longer viewed as the failure you are in your real life? Just curious...

Dear Curious,

Are you a psychiatrist or have you just spent a great deal of time laying on the couch in front of one? Have you considered that you might be taking yourself just a little too seriously these days? Perhaps you could rekindle that flame in your heart by going back to the happy glory hole glazed smile of your youth? Bring a video camera and you might be able to outsell Clean.

Dear Curious,

Are you a psychiatrist or have you just spent a great deal of time laying on the couch in front of one? Have you considered that you might be taking yourself just a little too seriously these days? Perhaps you could rekindle that flame in your heart by going back to the happy glory hole glazed smile of your youth? Bring a video camera and you might be able to outsell Clean.

And we've hit a nerve... Success!

Shife ,the voice of reason. It's a damn shame nobody will listen.

When Clean is busy with the boats, he does fine. The free time is what gets him, and Katie too for that matter. Petey seems pretty solid.

I thought today was ALOT better than yesterday, so maybe they are listening a little bit.

I'm going to tune in to the tactician talk he's doing at 6, but any more ranting about his competitors and I'm done watching the coverage of this event.

For those who don't know what I'm referring to:

Here's my one and only "complaint" about this and any of the SA covered events. When sponsors spend however much money to help a regatta out they should get mentioned. Every sponsor, not just the ones that sponsor SA. Now back to your regularlly scheduled program....

SYF

Good luck that with T2P.tv stuff it was so professional it screamed of exactly what Clean and SA are trying to fix in sailing...but everyone can do what they want.

You are now going to lead a campaign against OTWA and the people that pay for it, have fun and hope it works out for you.

I for one would continue to support any of the people involved with OTWA because I think they are doing a good job and trying something different, which that video is not, same old tired sailing stuff that is not working. Show that to a young person (I am assuming you are older the 50) and they will not care to sail, and not get what it was they were selling nor have any interest in sailing or even trying it.

Golf learned alot from Tiger and the younger golfers by doing new stuff, now more young people are intrested in golf then 20 years ago, this is what SA is trying to do (IMHO)...

And as I have said before if you dont like it dont watch it. If you dont like Clean and the ED and what SA is trying to do then maybe some other web sites are better for you. I think there sponsors know exatly what they signed up for and that is to sell something, not to you but to some of us that what something different. I for one will tell the people I know always what SA is doing and if they choose to support the people here then good, but I would not go out of my way to tell them they must support them because of it.....