Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Day 3 - Wet and Cold and Wet and More Cold...

It's 10 PM and we're getting our gear ready for Day 3 of the 2009 Melges 24 World CHampionship, and Wednesday we FINALLY have our lovely, luscious Eastport 32 to play aboard! This is the same great boat we broadcast last year's North Americans from, and it simply is the best 30-ish foot motorboat on the market. If we could afford a full-time coverage boat for OTWA, this would most certainly be it, and we'll show you exactly why tomorrow.

Today is also the beginning of giveaway day, and the first giveaway is for Melges 24 owners and crew. If you can name the top three boats of the day by scores, you'll win a set of all-carbon battens from RBS Battens, a 500$ value!

Post 'em here.

Here's the official press release from the IMCA:

Good Day For The Italians But Larson Extends His Lead At

The Sheehy Lexus of Annapolis Melges 24 World Championship

Annapolis, MD, USA - 27 October 2009 - Despite the decidedly damp and cold conditions which prevailed on day two of the Sheehy Lexus of Annapolis 2009 Melges 24 World Championship, the quality of racing for the international fleet was nonetheless characteristically red hot. Overnight leader Chris Larson aboard 'West Marine Rigging/New England Ropes' turned in a solidly consistent 6,4, scoreline for the day, w.hich sees him extend his margin at the top of the leaderboard tonight to eleven points. Surprisingly perhaps Larson believed that the Annapolis conditions today had been more predictable than normal. 'The wind didn't really move about that much today, so much so in fact that in both races we were actually able to one-tack both first beats by simply hitting the left hand layline. This afternoon though the wind did begin to get a little spotty, with more pressure in some places than others.' Whilst obviously delighted to still be leading at this stage, Larson also recognised that there was still a long way to go in this Championship. 'We are four races in to a twelve race series and so far I've been successful with doing my job on the boat, which is to get us off the line cleanly. Richard Clarke has been doing a great job on tactics and the whole crew has been solid. I think if we can maintain this approach then we will be in good shape.'

Today also saw a return to more familiar form for two of the Melges 24 fleet's most well known teams, as Italians Lorenzo Bressani on 'Uka Uka Racing' and Gabrio Zandona on 'Joe Fly' respectively, each took a gun in today's two races. Bressani followed up his win in the first race with a second place in race two, after a prolonged battle with Zandona at the front of the fleet. 'Uka Uka Racing's' 1, 2 score today earned them boat of the day; an achievement made all the more impressive given that they were racing with a substitute crew, following a severe ankle injury to their regular bow-girl Francesca Prina. For the first time this regatta, they have broken into the top ten and now sit in seventh place overall. Trimmer Federico Michetti was full of praise for stand-in Meredith Adams, who he said had coped well with sailing with a foreign speaking team. 'To be honest I was very nervous about how things would go today as we have raced and trained for so long with Francesca. Meredith fitted in really well however and picked up our way of doing things very quickly.' Asked if he thought 'Uka Uka Racing' could still win this championship, Michetti glanced down at the results sheet and commented 'For sure we could. There are lots of teams in the top ten with poor scores. We definitely have no more room for mistakes and it will be very, very difficult. However, we like a good fight and of course will be trying to the very end.' Michetti has his own special incentive to keep striving for victory; already a triple Melges 24 European Champion, victory here this week would make him the first ever person to have sailed on three Melges 24 World Championship winning crews.

A third place in race one and a win in race two has catapulted Zandona and the 'Joe Fly' crew into second place overall, ahead of Bill Hardesty on 'Events Clothing/Atlantis' in third. Hardesty confirmed that it had been another tricky day out on the racecourse but said he was pleased with his team's 2,7, performance today. 'The breeze was up in the morning and died back a little this afternoon. We feel pretty comfortable in the breezier stuff, but the light winds have been a bit of a weakness for us so far. However we think we may have found the extra gear that we have been looking for as we were able to hang on to the Italian boats a lot better in the second race.' Hardesty also believes that the unpredictability of the current out on the Chesapeake is creating an extra challenge for the racers. 'With the amount of rain we have been having here recently, looking at the tide charts is all but useless. With all the rivers draining into this area it's hard to know whether you are sailing in salt water or fresh.'.

Most of the other top ten teams had an up and down day today. Brian Porter on 'Full Throttle' finished with a 5,12, tally and sits in fourth overall. Italy's Carlo Fracassoli on 'Gullisara' dropped from third to fifth after scoring two results outside the top ten. Norwegian Eivind Melleby marred his otherwise single-digit scoreline so far with a twenty-second place in race two, but only dropped one place to lie in sixth. Italian Flavio Favini on Swiss entry 'Blu Moon' had a disappointing day by his own high standards with a 9,21 and has tumbled from second to eighth overall tonight. Also dropping down the order to ninth place after an 11,18 day was US sailor Alan Field on 'WTF'. Jamie Lea at the helm of 'Team Barbarians' seems to have been anchored in tenth place since the regatta started and a 16,8 set of results today sees him remain there going into day three.

In the Corinthian Division things could not be tighter between the top two teams so far with David Dabney on 'Conejo Racing - Ocean Sailing Academy' and Bruce Ayres on 'Monsoon' tied on eleven points apiece. Just two points adrift and poised to pounce is Othmar Mueller von Blumencron on 'Gannet'.

With two more races scheduled for tomorrow and the likelihood that similar conditions to today's will prevail, the fifty-one boat international fleet can look forward to another day of tricky sailing, as this regatta goes into it's third day. Just to throw in an added dimension to the already intriguing mix, the single discard for the twelve race series could come into play if both races are completed tomorrow.

PRO Jeff Borland after Day 2:

Othmar Von Blumencron, Annapolis resident and former M24 Corinthian World Champ (Santa Cruz) on why he sails Corinthian.

Our old friend Mateo DeLuca from Joe Fly, here driving the RIB this week instead of sailing, explains the Jackson Five tribute on their mainsail (see Mer's slideshow yesterday for a view)

Regatta Chair Liz Filter, status report.

The hardest working rum company owner I know, Jamie Jackson, from Pusser's

And maybe my new favorite sailor chick here, the excellent and candid Meredith Adams, who just filled in for Uka Uka Racing's injured Francesca Prina after she broke her foot, and helped lead them to a great Day 2 after helping Guy Mossman have a spectacular pre-worlds and great Day 1. The ultimate pick-up crew, super talented according to Federico Michetti, and quick to strip down for me on camera...

Let's make the contest just the first two races in case they have a third.

Great wrap up. Thanks again for not putting it on youtube so that those of us in China can watch! I can't comment on teh OTW part part as the timing is off for me here but the rest of it is great thanks.

I must admit it kills me to see Hardesty, lil hip, Reynolds and the boys there while I sit in Shanghai. But better to at least see it then not.

I don't know how you do it - crappy weather, unstable boat, pushing technology to the absolute edge - and still have time for boozin'!

Great coverage - I was in and out all day watching. Rev. Petey's wrap-up is awesome! Don't know how he does it.

Hey - who is driving Full Throttle? Is it Porter or Burdick?

Thanks for your efforts!

By the way, it was interesting to see the breeze on a bit yesterday. I think there is no doubt that the top European guys have a definite speed advantage in the windier stuff - I wonder why that is? Pretty clear that the other guys were just happy to hang in close proximity. The Annopolis venue adds a craftiness element that keeps some tactics in the game.

You would think the Porter/Melges/Burdick combo would figure the speed thing out - they do in the scows all the time.

no worries fan. Anyone have any issues with the video in post 6?

Clean, just FYI, yes it was a little slow loading, but not bad. I'm on T1 line at this end so I'm guessing it was the uplink, but hey I know very little about how it works, like everyone else (including you) I just want it NOW! BIG thanks to you and Team SA for the coverage. And UR right Petey is a god, great stuff.

Cheers, Winever.

works fine. Seems a little better the youtube

Hey guys, we're heading down to load all of our gear now. It should be a great day, and we should have some good stuff coming at you. Much love.

I really liked Katie scoping out the conditions up the course and keeping track of the breeze. She's also much better looking than the other option.

More hard reporting from Katie.

Only issue is the coffee on my keyboard and monitor from some of the highlights:

"You gettin' crazy with Esse? Don't you know that I'm LOCO?"

POD running over his kite and sailing into the motor boat chop. HAHAHA!

"You guys been doin' a little boozin? Suckin on grandpa's ol' cough medicine?"

Tucker in his gay headset serving Petey a Whopper with cheeze last night...

MWHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol:

When you have a second, check the link to the highlight reel on the front page:

And today's wrap-up viddy...
It seems to glitch at the beginning and stops at 1:54 for some reason.

The imbedded video in post 6 however works flawlessly. Very well done, except for the coffee all over my desk.

Friendly suggestion: put the imbedded video onto the front page as a stand-alone article just like you did in this thread, so the user doesn't jump to Justin.tv. This vid is an instant classic.

All we need a new slideshow from Mer to put the icing on the cake, and please, more Katie today :)

From IMCA Blog:

RC boat has posted flag Lima as he moves about the Chesapeake on his search for some breeze. The Melges fleet are arriving now and beginning to form a long line behind.

In other news, due to the recent heavy rains, apparently the authorities have had to open the gates to a large reservoir damn up river from here. This could mean that by this afternoon we’ll have a permanent 2+ knot ebb and will be seeing significant debris in the water (tree trunks etc). Sounds like a fun day ahead!

Hey guys, welcome to day 3! We are headed towards the race course and setting up to get you some great coverage! <br /><br />We have a great boat today, an Eastport 32, and we can't ask for a better vessel to work from. Thank you, Tom Edwards! Wish you were here, Regan. Get back to annapolis soon!!!<br /><br />The water is pretty flat, and the wind is minimal. Like I said, it's tricky out here on THE C-peake Bay. I'd also like to remind everyone that I grew up on THE Chesapeake Bay in Chesapeake VA at the mouth of the bay, so please don't try to correct the way I say it. Haha. No hard feelings. <br /><br />TODAY we will be streaming live video and then sending the recordings straight to our youtube page , so you can catch the videos of racing today right here on the thread if you want. <br /><br />We have 2 computers running and 2 more to power up if we have to, and we also have 2 boats out on the water and an additional person to help us. It should be some good stuff coming at you today, for sure. <br /><br />Thanks guys!<br /><br /><br /><br />

Thanks so much, tuff :)

We are in post-ponement . RC is doing it right - no wind, why try to get a race off? Hopefully it'll pick up soon.

Coffee is so good.

so clean decided to leave me alone on the 23' Whaler that is cold, falling apeart, and decides to stop running at the best times so that he and the team can sit on the new warm and dry Eastport 32. thank you clean you rock!

Yo latis, we heart you!!!!

Latis is standing by with the Whaler for Mer to be able to get close with her camera and get you guys some great shots.

A few teams are practicing in this shite, but most are cruising around, talking about tactics or about how cool our ride is today. I'm not sure.

Still waiting ... Chirp , chirp

I'm about to challenge clean to a dance-off or a push-up contest . I'm feeling competitive this morning.

Still waiting ... Chirp , chirp

I'm about to challenge clean to a dance-off or a push-up contest . I'm feeling competitive this morning.

you know what you need to do....

about 5 kts from 300 with a bit of chill.

also we heard that the dam at the top of the ba was opened this morning which will dump al the crap into the bay to make the afternoon intresting

Today's Velocitek Coupon Code, exclusively for OTWA race fans, is larson_has_one.

larson_SC-1.jpg

Here's what Chris Larson, the current leader, has to say about the Velocitek SC-1:

"I was amazed how well the starting line function worked. The unit gave fantastic starting line information and we were effectively able to use this in the final seconds before the gun. It was as good as having a full big-boat instrumentation package running Deckman for Windows or Expedition." -Chris Larson (1997 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year, 2006 Melges 24 US National Champion)

Use this code when you check out from our online store to get 10% off a Velocitek SpeedPuck or SC-1 plus a free Velocitek SpeedPlay license ($49 value). SpeedPlay is our new replay software that lets you use USB hubs to download GPS data from up to 21 Velocitek devices in one batch and quickly format the data into race replays.

Click here to take advantage of the special.

Thanks Alec. We just did a product shot with Katie and Andromache holding a Speedpuck and SC-1 directly below their umm...assets. Wait'll you see it.

False alarm from the RC, breeze was looking OK for a minute, but dropped off more and is already around to 315 degrees.

Thanks Alec. We just did a product shot with Katie and Andromache holding a Speedpuck and SC-1 directly below their umm...assets. Wait'll you see it.

False alarm from the RC, breeze was looking OK for a minute, but dropped off more and is already around to 315 degrees.

Velocitek is a progressive, modern company and we're uncomfortable with the idea of objectifying women to promote our products. We need an equivalent shot of you hanging your nuts over a SpeedPuck to restore the balance.

speaking of video, did ya see this horseshit from peter craig? gee, ya think he's talking about you, clean?

Any commercial or editorial reference to this event must use the regatta’s official name – Key West 2010, presented by Nautica. Any commercial video of the event, including web site productions, must be licensed by Premiere Racing.

are you smoking weed, you prick?

I don't do drugs. They're bad.

Maybe you should start?

Velocitek is a progressive, modern company and we're uncomfortable with the idea of objectifying women to promote our products. We need an equivalent shot of you hanging your nuts over a SpeedPuck to restore the balance.

Wow, they're my nuts and that even made me a little nauseous. I didn't know you swung that way, NTTIAWWT...

now that's funny!

speaking of video, did ya see this horseshit from peter craig? gee, ya think he's talking about you, clean?

Any commercial or editorial reference to this event must use the regatta’s official name – Key West 2010, presented by Nautica. Any commercial video of the event, including web site productions, must be licensed by Premiere Racing.

I'm sure the commercial video producers are going to be falling over themselves to buy licenses to cover a dying 130 boat regatta which lost its title sponsor...

Still dicking around here with 280-300 degrees, and the RC is getting ready to make it happen! Shifty as, the way W'lies do here in Annapolis, but Borland is gettin' itchy. Tom Weaver (owner of Eastport Yachts) says that once the W'ly fills in we should be able to get three races off. This stuff will definitely favor Larson, T Hutch, and the others who sail in this corner on little boats for decades.

Rains fuckin gonzo sun starting to shine... Now for breeze... Hope the daily recap works for y'all ....it's cuttin into my debaucherous lifestyle... But on the real, hope you guys like it... Where's tuckie? There he is... Gotta go get me a whopper

I'm sure the commercial video producers are going to be falling over themselves to buy licenses to cover a dying 130 boat regatta which lost its title sponsor...

that prick craig (the term covers both craigs that are pricks, doesn't it?) doesn't care about anything about licenses - he wants to make sure the you aren't there. period.

Ehhhhhhh. Tell the Liability Punch/ Bumperboat one

I think that just made my day. Thanks for that. :lol:

Still in postponement...Setting up at about 290 about 5.5-6 kts at the top mark

M_24_WORLDS___M_BLOCK___DAY_3_1.jpg

M_24_WORLDS___M_BLOCK___DAY_3_2.jpg

M_24_WORLDS___M_BLOCK___DAY_3_3.jpg

M_24_WORLDS___M_BLOCK___DAY_3_4.jpg

M_24_WORLDS___M_BLOCK___DAY_3_5.jpg

M_24_WORLDS___M_BLOCK___DAY_3_6.jpg

M_24_WORLDS___M_BLOCK___DAY_3_7.jpg

M_24_WORLDS___M_BLOCK___DAY_3_8.jpg

Any commercial or editorial reference to this event must use the regatta's official name – Key West 2010, presented by Nautica. Any commercial video of the event, including web site productions, must be licensed by Premiere Racing.

And nobody saw that coming from ten miles away...

ya think? we're going to give key west plenty of coverage, just not what they had in mind...

Kack, can you tell it? It's a great story but we're getting ready to go into sequence.

Just remember that you and I are the Bumper Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the year!!!

keep guessing folks, win that shit! AP down, inside ten minutes, and we are live. Recording will go up here immediately afterwards with YouTube, and we'll clip the whole days' racing at the end of the day from Justin.TV. Thanks for all the great input...

Simplicity wins the pin end, followed by tom slick, peacemaker, and uka uka and then quantum. Going left, but simplicity tacked right to cross everyone early.

Brinksmanship called over early

Simplicity wins the pin, crosses hutch and Uka Uka, tacks back, the others go back to the right, and now there is presssure on the right. Voice overheard from the radio "This is lame, should be abandoned."

Start video to be up in 8 minutes according to Youtube.

Seems about as quiet on the Forum as it does on the race course, so I'll make my usual lame-ass attempt to spicen it up a bit. We've been trying to figure out how to get these codes to everyone, and now that the OTTW crew seems to have to video, and thread, stuff figured out we'll have to work hard to get rid of all the stuff we have set aside for the event. Today, go to Point Loma Outfitting and get 15% off anything on the site simply by using the code "Melges24" as the coupon code.

1st top mark:

Larson

Joe fly

Hardesty

Monsoon

Gullisara

Fantastika

Dave oreilly

Wild child

Pete lane

Fukk throttle

Full medal

Team barbarians

1st top mark:

Larson

Joe fly

Hardesty

Monsoon

Gullisara

Fantastika

Dave oreilly

Wild child

Pete lane

Fukk throttle

Full medal

Team barbarians

Simplicity not in there after winning the start eh?

Downwind

Larson - right gate

Joe fly - left

Hardesty - left

Monsoon - right

Fantastika - left

Gullisara - right

Kristin lane - left

Full medal jacket - right

Full throttle - right

Barbatians - left

Uka uka - right

Evil doughnut - left

Rock n roll - left

Wild child right

Chill out - left

Gilekt - right

Wtf - right

59 rught

Cluster fuck cluster fuck custer fuck !!!!!

THE GATE IS SO SMALL !!!!!

Hey stacey! I got your sweet e-mail!! I'll call you later!

Simplicity went left on the first leg and there was no love on that side :(

She most certainly is, NS! Both, that is. Gate was total mayhem, marks three boatlengths from each other and half the fleet overlapped, another bad set by the RC...

Joe Fly and Larson battling up the beat right now, this is SO much fun now that we are not getting pissed on with rain and have a big loively boat...

If you like it, please click on our sponsor banners above and check out what they have to offer. Buy this hot Atlantis jacket we have from Point Loma Outfitting, and buy a Velocitek, some Ullman Sails, and get big-ass discounts on all of it. Do it quickly and wehn you get back you can see that gate on youtube here.

Katie Burns is a babe. Is she single??

Get in line dude....

Trying to cut to the front...

good thought...but I think the front is a long way from here....

Katie Burns is a babe. Is she single??

Get in line dude....

at least a dozen stalkers....it gets crowded walking behind her in the shadows.

thats why you're supposed to latch onto a leg and start going to town....

Excellent vids on the site so far ... a bonus for those of us behind no-udp firewalls.

Ummm...our other support boat just called in...he's out of fuel and drifting down on the mark with the racers coming. Oops!

Too damned funny. We just sent the excellent sailor chick Ellie Riggs over to tow him out of the way, she is my new favorite powerboat driver...