Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windy6327

The WING is coming...

This is on the BMWO Blog...

"Somewhat surprisingly, it might not be as difficult as it would first appear. This is because we were already scheduled to move ahead with testing of a new rig platform next week (more on that later)."

Yeh Baby!

Can anyone state how far in advance of its use the crane tends to arrive at the dogpound? Has its arrival generally signaled an imminent event (i.e., like today)?

Could it be that DZ is coming out of the water for a full inspection?

Alert! 2 Alinghi spies closing in on DZ by kayak...

Time for a really dumb question... Wings don't luff, and you cant take the thing down all that quickly, so how does one account for this? Just keep her pointed dead into the breeze at all times when shes on the pier? Piviot the wing round and round to keep it in line with the breeze? If one kept the sail up on DZ all day you would think that there would be some problems, do they just put it up and pull it down when they want to use it like a regular sail? Or will the wing stay up for the next few days (once it goes up)?

Sorry I have no experience with this kind of sailing, and it doesnt really add up to me. Can someone with some wing experience help me out here?

Sorry for my noobidness :/

( . ) ( . )

\/

-Radar

Time for a really dumb question... Wings don't luff, and you cant take the thing down all that quickly, so how does one account for this? Just keep her pointed dead into the breeze at all times when shes on the pier? Piviot the wing round and round to keep it in line with the breeze? If one kept the sail up on DZ all day you would think that there would be some problems, do they just put it up and pull it down when they want to use it like a regular sail? Or will the wing stay up for the next few days (once it goes up)?

Sorry I have no experience with this kind of sailing, and it doesnt really add up to me. Can someone with some wing experience help me out here?

( . ) ( . )

\/

-Radar

nobody who knows for sure is telling - but I don't see 747's fall apart when parked at the airport.

( . ) ( . )

\/

-Radar

In light air San Diego, the Stars and Stripes 88 winged catamaran left the wing up for weeks at a time.

Thanks for the quick response fellas, I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about this...

( . ) ( . )

\/

-Radar

In light air San Diego, the Stars and Stripes 88 winged catamaran left the wing up for weeks at a time.

I don't believe that's correct. Spoke with Ehman about this, and he said that they did keep it rigged, but layed the whole boat over on its side while not sailing. That won't work for DZ. Hence the "something in the water at the dog pound" thread.

SB

That '88 cat was a lot smaller though, I think that they will take it of after every sail.

Unless its able to just weathervane in the wind maybe.

( . ) ( . )

\/

-Radar

S&S cat was on a buoy in Valle de Bravo in Mexico for several years. May still be, but I haven't been there in a while.

But I sailed there for many years, and there is a steady 15 to 20 almost every day, and in the summer there are some severe squalls during rainy season.

Does not seem to have bothered the wing... though the whole thing is looking pretty sorry of late.

The trick seems to be buoy, let her weathervane as much as possible, and keep the boards up.

But I'll grant you that DZ is a much bigger animal.

And I'm not sure how you would get to shore for service without laying the wing down.

Maintenance at a buoy could be a pain.

But maybe you would make a specialized tender platform to tie up to the stern with cranes and tools and whatever.

Sorry for my noobidness :

-Radar

Radar:

1. It is NOT a dumb question

2. Do not apologise for asking questions. It is why we are here. To ask questions!

3. We have tentative answers but, until it happens, nobody can be sure.

4. They had a model in the water suggesting the wing will be laid on its side - when not in use.

If laid on its side, imagine the engineering of the ball (or U) joint at the foot of the structure?

We are about to see if yankie technology can overwhelm Swiss cunning, Vrolijk's intelligence and Bertarelli's sense of style.

Radar:

2. Do not apologise for asking questions. It is why we are here. To ask questions!

4. They had a model in the water suggesting the wing will be laid on its side - when not in use.

If laid on its side, imagine the engineering of the ball (or U) joint at the foot of the structure?

We are about to see if yankie technology can overwhelm Swiss cunning, Vrolijk's intelligence and Bertarelli's sense of style.

Thanks Hastings,

This forum has a nasty reputation for DESTROYING newbs for asking questions that have:

1. Been brought up before

2. Obvious answers

3. No relevancy to the topic at hand

Until that post count under my name ticks beyond the N00b level, I will continue to second guess myself every time I post.

Great info from everyone else on the wing. The anticipation is killing us all.

-Radar

Radar:

Thanks Hastings,

This forum has a nasty reputation for DESTROYING newbs for asking questions that have:

1. Been brought up before

2. Obvious answers

3. No relevancy to the topic at hand

Until that post count under my name ticks beyond the N00b level, I will continue to second guess myself every time I post.

Great info from everyone else on the wing. The anticipation is killing us all.

-Radar

The only caveat is that the character drawing does not relieve you of your responsibilities !!!

Spoke with Ehman about this, and he said that they did keep it rigged, but layed the whole boat over on its side while not sailing. That won't work for DZ. Hence the "something in the water at the dog pound" thread.

That's correct. They laid the whole boat on its side - rig horizontal, beams vertical. I have pictures of it somewhere, but here's a link to a NYT article..

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/02/sports/a...nyt&emc=rss

I don't think it would be healthy for the wing to be stood for each day of use. I am picturing something more like this....Larry Should be talking to NASA

SpaceShuttle_InHanger.jpg

Its erecting now.

Tease! :lol:

OMG - It's even over the VAB :blink:

Correct sir, not near DZ....the WHOMPER may be making it's debut!

(Timing in response to developments in NYC maybe?)

The whot?

Try and keep up Tony... (damn, I mispelled it...WOMPER. Wing of Massive Power, Ernesto Run)

Moving a shipping container at the moment!

A huge telescopic crane just enter the yard...

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp...;imagemap.h=133

It may be to load the salvaged mast pieces to truck them north?

Getting those out of the way makes for more room to deal with the wing.

Would you need such a big crane to load pieces of the mast, when they're horizontal? They must be planning to lift something both heavy and large. :D

A huge telescopic crane just enter the yard...

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp...;imagemap.h=133

It may be to load the salvaged mast pieces to truck them north?

Getting those out of the way makes for more room to deal with the wing.

Would you need such a big crane to load pieces of the mast, when they're horizontal? They must be planning to lift something both heavy and large. :D

large/long - doesn't have to be heavy

( . ) ( . )

\/

-Radar

Radar, just how newb are you? Have you had your obligatory SA welcome yet?

Time for a really dumb question... Wings don't luff, and you cant

( . ) ( . )

\/

-Radar

Radar, just how newb are you? Have you had your obligatory SA welcome yet?

I think we can see his girlfriend actually is! And he's done his duty.

You could lock the wing in it's low lift position (main and flap aligned), and secure the platform in the water, then attach top of the wing to a crane.

Once the wing is secure the stays could be removed and the wing allowed to rotate 360 degrees.

Storage problem solved.

The whot?

Try and keep up Tony... (damn, I mispelled it...WOMPER. Wing of Massive Power, Ernesto Run)

Moving a shipping container at the moment!

Got to make space on the hard to survey the shitbox. Hey, I thought you were going to be sailing again within 7 days? Not if you have any competent engineers on board! :lol:

It could be lifting M3 sections onto a truck. By Woody's pics they could manage that operation with forklifts, but if they can't get a long section around the corners to the trucks then it would explain the crane.

But it's tantalizing how it's near the door of the VAB in this one:

post-17804-1257537373_thumb.jpg

We put on an extra set of wheels called crazy wheels seen in picture on rear axle. They allow the boat to weather vane after the wing is locked into center position and the front end is tied off on a stake in the ground. The axis point is located around the front wheel. I've had my boat parked this way in sustained 40 mph winds with no problems. I imagine DZ could do a similar thing if they have enough room to allow full 360 degree rotation after the boards are up with the bow tied to a firmly anchored buoy.

post-22056-1257537542_thumb.jpg

It could be lifting M3 sections onto a truck. By Woody's pics they could manage that operation with forklifts, but if they can't get a long section around the corners to the trucks then it would explain the crane.

But it's tantalizing how it's near the door of the VAB in this one:

post-17804-1257537373_thumb.jpg

Woody's pics showed lines or straps going up as the guys were guiding the pieces around. Made me think crane right off the bat.

We put on an extra set of wheels called crazy wheels seen in picture on rear axle. They allow the boat to weather vane after the wing is locked into center position and the front end is tied off on a stake in the ground. The axis point is located around the front wheel. I've had my boat parked this way in sustained 40 mph winds with no problems. I imagine DZ could do a similar thing if they have enough room to allow full 360 degree rotation after the boards are up with the bow tied to a firmly anchored buoy.

Interesting idea, but with your "crazy wheels" your land-yacht has almost no sideways resistance that would keep it from weathervaning around your tie-off stake.

With the trimaran, even if it were free to rotate 360, it would still have to drag the center hull (and probably an ama) sideways through the water in order to weathervane.

Probably too much strain to "put it away" that way.

Interesting idea, but with your "crazy wheels" your land-yacht has almost no sideways resistance that would keep it from weathervaning around your tie-off stake.

With the trimaran, even if it were free to rotate 360, it would still have to drag the center hull (and probably an ama) sideways through the water in order to weathervane.

Don't forget that getting the rudders out of the water may be a challenge too http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/style_emo...fault/blink.gif

Happy sailing,

Fish

Ever since the demasting the boat has been in the water.

Do you think they would hoist a wing and go sailing without a haulout and microscopic search for damage?

On the other hand, if the sail acted like a parachute and broke the fall and there was no hard impact on the aft crossbeam, who cares?

I think the boat would have been out of the water within minutes of hitting the dock, if there was evidence of damage to it.

My bet is that the rig caused only cosmetic damage, if that.

Do you think they would hoist a wing and go sailing without a haulout and microscopic search for damage?

On the other hand, if the sail acted like a parachute and broke the fall and there was no hard impact on the aft crossbeam, who cares?

I've witnessed several multihull dismastings and can tell you that it is amazingly slow and soft when they come down. Granted, I've not seen anything approaching this scale...but none-the-less...it still astonishes me how gingerly they come down.

I've witnessed several multihull dismastings and can tell you that it is amazingly slow and soft when they come down. Granted, I've not seen anything approaching this scale...but none-the-less...it still astonishes me how gingerly they come down.

You say that but a friend of mine lost his life in a dismasting a couple of years ago.

true of most dismatings

wish i didnt know that firsthand

when the mexican dudes bought the s&s 88 wing boat and sailed it down the coast, they would blaze into a harbor, 1 guy would swim ashore and grab provisions, then get a panga ride back out to the boat still being sailed around

maybe they will just never stop sailing... :) :0 ;)

Don't forget that getting the rudders out of the water may be a challenge too http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/style_emo...fault/blink.gif

Happy sailing,

Fish

Another way to do the "crazy wheels" thing with a multihull would be by building two laterally curved "crazy hulls" or inflatable "giant wieners" :lol: that would be strapped beneath the existing hulls but transverse like the crossbeams. When moored at the bow the boat would swing in an arc that matches the crazy hulls curvature thus minimizing lateral resistance allowing quick movement before aerodynamic loads could damage the rig. OK - This is a crazy idea but I might try it if I build a 10 to 15 meter wing for my 19 foot tri.

We put on an extra set of wheels called crazy wheels seen in picture on rear axle.

Another way to do the "crazy wheels" thing with a multihull would be by building two laterally curved "crazy hulls" or inflatable "giant wieners"

Another way, in theory, would be to lock the wing at 90-degrees to the axis of the boat, and moor it off a "bridle" attached to the bow and stern of one of the amas. THe boat could weathervane by [effectively] moving foward or backwards on its own. But I still think that the structure would not be able to move/adapt fast enough to prevent loads on the rig.

So you tie off to the side of the tri from a bow to stern bridle, and let it pivot around riding on the aka.

Cranes too far to the right. If I remember the base correctly the trucks is right next to the containers. Which would be too obtuse an angle to lift the boat. Besides, if it they could lift the boat, they coulding put the boat anywhere that wouldnt block the crane/truck from getting out.

I bet there is a flatbed to the left under the crane to get the pieces of M3

Could they be disassembling the tent Alinghi style?

Presumably they'll have to in order to get the wing out.

Nah, they'll want the tent to store the wing in it. Fredo keeps a permanent tent at RCYC for his C wings, for instance.

Damn I wish FOX would turn on that ParisCam, it should be right up their alley.

just seen this and called them #01 web&cam guy gone for the weekend :-(

Nah, they'll want the tent to store the wing in it. Fredo keeps a permanent tent at RCYC for his C wings, for instance.

I'll vote with Hoom on this. Once the wing is assembled and complete, they don't need a full covered facility. The wing will remain on the boat, albeit laying flat on its own storage pontoon or whatever, if the very sound theory advanced here is correct.

Chauncey Griggs raises and lowers solid wing with this set up.

post-22056-1257562833_thumb.jpg

Chauncey Griggs raises and lowers solid wing with this set up.

It is a good day when you can mix ATVs and sailing.

Once ice sailed across Lake Mendota in Madison Wisconsin, middle of winter. It is frikkin COOOLD! Very fast though.

Love that set up / set down rig photo, thanks for posting it. SB: A lot like what you saw at the base?

Once ice sailed across Lake Mendota in Madison Wisconsin, middle of winter. It is frikkin COOOLD! Very fast though.

Born and raised in So Cal. When the hairs in my nose freeze, I head south, or to the bar. Brrrrr.

Love that set up / set down rig photo, thanks for posting it. SB: A lot like what you saw at the base?

I always thought that a cockpit like the skeeter in that photo is the way to go.

I always thought that a cockpit like the skeeter in that photo is the way to go.

post-463-1257609112_thumb.jpg

Looks like the did pull the boat onto the hard (at some point).

post-29220-1257620101_thumb.jpg

No, still in the water. Try zooming in tighter, you can see the port bow, foils, front beam

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp...;imagemap.h=308

I dont know. The bow of the ama looks a bit high. Too high to be in the water. Right inline with the left corner of the tent, if not higher. I think she is sitting in front of the sail-loft tent.

Looks like a shadow of the port side ama. A shadow cast on what I am not sure.

Where is that other webcam when you need it?

post-29220-1257621603_thumb.jpg

Edit: You are right. Sledracr's photos look the same. That shadow on the water of the ama threw me off. Still in water.

Just talked with a friend in Dago over the skype. He says the wing is the talk of town, as far as sailing talk that is.

post-24227-1257624055.jpg

post-24227-1257624086_thumb.jpg

post-24227-1257624106_thumb.jpg

post-24227-1257624126_thumb.jpg

Yes, there is a rather striking similarity isn't there :)

SB

Just talked with a friend in Dago over the skype. He says the Hot Rum race # 01 is the talk of town, as far as sailing talk that is.

fixed it for ya ;)

till Monday that is the "WORD"

OK, so I actually looked at the webcam & now realise that the tent is way over to the left of where that crane was.

I still think they'll disassemble the tent though.

post-463-1257609112_thumb.jpg

That is so cool. Personally, I couldn't give a shit about the SA/AC legal wrangling threads, I'm just here for the gear. Gimme a wing. Here's another cool one:

post-4903-1257705652_thumb.jpg

There is a shadow with a few meters hight at forward ama?

It is moreless at mast point...

Anyone at pound?

DZ has been turned sideways just now, stbd float alongside the compound dock?

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp...;imagemap.h=269

Could it be for repair/investigation work?

Or putting a rig in the boat?

See for yourself... erm...

post-20594-1257706145_thumb.jpg

What is that 'Dark Shadow'????

(some may remember the old vampire soap opera of the 60's/70's)

Dark_Shadows

DZ has been turned sideways just now, stbd float alongside the compound dock?

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp...;imagemap.h=269

Could it be for repair/investigation work?

Or putting a rig in the boat?

See for yourself... erm...

post-20594-1257706145_thumb.jpg

What is that 'Dark Shadow'????

(some may remember the old vampire soap opera of the 60's/70's)

Dark_Shadows

:blink: THIS COULD BE IT! Something is definitely going on!

Looks like a good day to raise a wing and a good week for testing.

Current wind 2.5k out of the north

San Diego marine weather forecast from 0730 PST:

Today

Wind variable less than 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 3 to 4 ft at 10 seconds.

Tonight

Wind variable less than 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 2 to 3 ft at 10 seconds.

Mon

Wind variable less than 10 kt...becoming W 10 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 2 to 3 ft at 10 seconds.

Mon Night

Wind variable less than 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 2 ft.

Tue

Wind variable less than 10 kt...becoming W 10 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 2 ft.

Tue Night

Wind NW 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 2 ft. Patchy fog with vsby 1 nm or less after midnight.

Veterans Day

Wind variable less than 10 kt...becoming NW 10 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 2 ft. Patchy fog with vsby 1 nm or less in the morning.

Wed Night

Wind W 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 2 ft.

Thu

Wind variable less than 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 3 ft.

Thu Night

Wind W 10 kt in the evening...becoming variable less than 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 3 to 4 ft.

Gin pole to raise the new rig?

My guess too

post-17804-1257708298_thumb.jpg

There's a guy standing on the port float, hard to tell if they will test just this pole or what. Early in the day there (11:25) so... ???

Gin pole to raise the new rig?

My guess too

post-17804-1257708298_thumb.jpg

There's a guy standing on the port float, hard to tell if they will test just this pole or what. Early in the day there (11:25) so... ???

Gin pole raises it enough to attach a shroud, and then crank it the rest of the way up?

OK, so I actually looked at the webcam & now realise that the tent is way over to the left of where that crane was.

I still think they'll disassemble the tent though.

They'll need somewhere to stash the wing when it is blowing - despite what we have seen with the sideways drop test model. They'll also need somewhere to stash the wing when they need to repair/modify.

Their issue is one of space. We saw in the last round of changes that DZ was worked on outside, rather than in the VAB - one would guess the wing was being assembled in the VAB. So we might see a modified VAB with a 2nd storey or some way of storing the wing. Or maybe a wing that is relatively easily broken down into some smaller chunks - though I don't think this would be avenue a.

I'm not as familiar with the base as some of you Dago folks but the wing seems to be between 150-225' tall x ???' wide/chord judging by consensus here. You'll need somewhere big enough to stash that.

Ben Hall stores his A wing in a box and Fredo stores his wings horizontally, leading edge up. Here's the inside of Fredo's warehouse - wing is in the background behind Lawn Boy's 14 - third photo. wing is party diassembled but you get the idea.

Oh yeah, when you guys get out of church out there, before you get out of your 'Sunday go to Meetin' clothes, get down there and get pics of what is happening..........................

Oh yeah, when you guys get out of church out there, before you get out of your 'Sunday go to Meetin' clothes, get down there and get pics of what is happening..........................

I phoned Squid but had to leave a message. Also emailed the local FOX station to please go check it out for us :)