• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snake Plisken

PLEASE Don't Call it "Whomper"

From another thread but I feel strongly enough that this deserves it's own thread:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't call the thing "Whomper" or "Womper". That conjures one of the gayest moments in movie history, from the movie "Wind" when the heroes are about to lose the AC and the call is made to bust out the "Whomper" which the heroine has been sewing by hand late at night. If you've seen this, you cannot dispute the unprecedented level of faggotry at work here.

North Sails produces an assymetrical spinnaker for our boat which they stupidly named "Whomper". They even stencil "Whomper" onto the sailbag, and it makes me cringe when I look at it.

We have banned use of the name "Whomper" on our boat because of the origin of that stupid name. For the love of 'Zilla, please don't call it Whomper or Womper any more.

MechaDogZilla really has a nice ring to it.

I agree with that. ANYTHING but Whomper would be fine with me.

As a long-time lurker and newly emboldened poster, I'll pre-empt the call from you veterans and just post the obligatory picture. Here she is, on the back of my Hog:

Nice%20Rack.jpg

If y'all can PURGE the word Whomper from AC Anarchy, I will post pics of my gal with her favorite girlfriend.

That movie is absolutely a cult classic, gay as it is. That massively over the top sail was the difference maker, it's all in good fun.

There is no right and wrong on the nick for the W. There are plenty of fun ones being thrown around and people will use whatever they like. I think that 'W' (wing) will end up the short hand, and Whomper fits nicely with that, but we'll see what sticks long term. As the cult classic and all.. :)

... it's all in good fun.

True dat, it is all good fun and I'm not going to get my undies in a twist if Whomper sticks.

I can say from experience though that having a sail called "The Whomper" on our boat was terrible for the crew. Every time the skipper called for "The Whomper" the whole crew would get a mental image of the girl sewing the sail late into the night and then busting the thing out to calls of "LET'S HOIST THE WHOMPER!" to save the day.

All in all, this was NOT PRODUCTIVE, mental imaging on a boat being as powerful as it is. We had to ban the name to prevent us from cycling back to that image every time we discuss or hoist that kite.

I'm sure the BOR crew have their own name for the wing, but they too will cringe when reading SA if "The Whomper" sticks, IMHO.

As a long-time lurker and newly emboldened poster, I'll pre-empt the call from you veterans and just post the obligatory picture. Here she is, on the back of my Hog:

Nice%20Rack.jpg

If y'all can PURGE the word Whomper from AC Anarchy, I will post pics of my gal with her favorite girlfriend.

terrible choice of beer, man.

terrible choice of beer, man.

You gotta like the bottle holder though. We're thinking a lot about how to install one such bottle holder for each crew on our boat for beer can races.

When properly maintained, the holder even gimbals properly as the boat tips and rocks through the waves!

Maybe Whomper is appropriate as this will be the sound when it crashes down (at least initally)...

WHOMP!

What makes everybody believe that although they can't handle the mechanics of a classic mast they can build and sail this thing within a few weeks?

I would be surprised if their soft sail and mast programm would not be kept running at 100%...

Problem is, that is part of the joke.

Before anyone knew if it was for real or not, 'Whomper' was just a mythical/humorous way to identify the un-known. Keep the Alinghi folks off balance.

It's been called 'Whomper' for months.

Hard to change that now, just like 'DogZilla', 'CheeZilla', etc.

edit: And Snake, nice 'Whoppers'!

North Sails produces an assymetrical spinnaker for our boat which they stupidly named "Whomper". They even stencil "Whomper" onto the sailbag, and it makes me cringe when I look at it.

We have banned use of the name "Whomper" on our boat because of the origin of that stupid name. For the love of 'Zilla, please don't call it Whomper or Womper any more.

So you don't like the stenciling on the bag?

Why not ask for a new bag?

Or use the bag from your old kite?

Or buy a turtle?

Of take a sharpie and mark it out?

Instead of whining here like some bitch.

Sure you are not gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) ? ;>)

Grow a couple and STFU. Stuff like this is what makes laymen think sailors are assholes.

.... Oh and why did you put this rant in the AC forum?

You ride the short bus to school earlier in life?

Why did you put YOUR rant in this forum?

At least Snake's post was somewhat on topic. This thread is about how DUMB the name Whomper is, and as far as I can tell you have said nothing to that affect. Please contribute to the discussion at hand or keep your thoughts to yourself. If you have a huge problem with Snake, send him a PM, but please stop wasting everyone's time shuffling through garbage posts like the last two you posted in a row.

Now what I came here to say in the first place....

The Whomper is a ridiculous name, and I will agree to never call M4, the wing, Wingzilla, The Cheezegrater, or The Death Spar by such absurd terms.

Keep the Peace,

Radar

Why did you put YOUR rant in this forum?

At least Snake's post was somewhat on topic. This thread is about how DUMB the name Whomper is, and as far as I can tell you have said nothing to that affect. Please contribute to the discussion at hand or keep your thoughts to yourself. If you have a huge problem with Snake, send him a PM, but please stop wasting everyone's time shuffling through garbage posts like the last two you posted in a row.

Now what I came here to say in the first place....

The Whomper is a ridiculous name, and I will agree to never call M4, the wing, Wingzilla, The Cheezegrater, or The Death Spar by such absurd terms.

Keep the Peace,

Radar

Why is it ridiculous ?

People use such references as a joke in all the SA forums.

The fact it has been months of delays because of a couple rich aholes cannot play nice is going to have folks venting their displeasure by inventing terms.

We also have names for parts of boats that are not what the designer envisioned.

Going on about some stupid marketing angle from North that displeases him is stupid, is easily remediated, and has nothing to do with AC cup discussions.

Making a note and expecting support here is his right.

It is my right to disagree and call him on it.

as for shuffling for news. This thread got started yesterday.

Some of us can only get over here before/after work.

Sorry I offended you with the short bus reference.

No offense taken Foreverslow. The bus was in fact one of the long varieties :rolleyes:

We didn't need to cross out "Whomper" on the sail bag. The answer was more simple. We simply don't use the word "Whomper" when referring to that sail. Problem solved.

As we saw from the names "DoGZilla" and "Cheezezilla", names that are coined here on SA tend to stick.

It might be too late to erase "Whomper" from the SA vernacular, and if that's the case, so be it.

I only wanted to add FROM EXPERIENCE that the name Whomper is not productive, because every time it's spoken, one tends to get a picture of the scenes from the movie "Wind". I personally cringe; if others like it, that's fine with me.

No whining here, just a story from my own experience with the word Whomper.