Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squid

First Ocean day Sailing with Wing Photos

OK - Awesome day today!!! Holy crap that boat is amazing!!!

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

wow! too cool, thanks squid.

Just have a few teasers tonight as no time for playing with photos - sorry. :)

b4.jpg

I sure like seeing the absence of the centerboard and center rudder.

b4.jpg

Flying a hull on what wind???

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

Jimmy needs a bit of fairing in....

great shots!

Hope they clear up that heath robinson effort on the bow.

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

Jimmy needs a bit of fairing in....

great shots!

Hope they clear up that heath robinson effort on the bow.

nothing an itsy bitsy zipper luff "jib" cant smooth out

also makes her a "sloop"!

b4.jpg

Flying a hull on what wind???

The wind between 100' and 200' up...

b6.jpg

Are those PFDs they're wearing?

And what is he trimming? Backstay? Or the Wing?

I'm guessing running back..I like how the trailing edge looks like a giant cleaver about to split his head...

b6.jpg

I'm waiting for BOR team to come out with wind suits & helmets with face visors.

post-56-1257985228_thumb.jpg

b6.jpg

Great shots.

A lot of trimming for a 'stink boat' :blink: , loved the telltails too

How exciting :P

b6.jpg

I'm waiting for BOR team to come out with wind suits & helmets with face visors.

post-56-1257985228_thumb.jpg

I'd of thought it would be more along these lines.

borg_picture.gif

Dal was there - but the Clown and his Clown Car wisely stayed home today.

c4.jpg

b5.jpg

In case anyone was wondering whether the bowsprit extension was axed from the program, think again. Take a look at the rigging loosely attached to the lower center hull's bow. That's the main bobstay for the big bowsprit(the one that didn't explode). It will be very interesting to see the giant code zero up in front, and around the new wing. I suppose they decided not to put the big bowsprit extension back on until they were ready to fly the beast.

SB

b5.jpg

In case anyone was wondering whether the bowsprit extension was axed from the program, think again. Take a look at the rigging loosely attached to the lower center hull's bow. That's the main bobstay for the big bowsprit(the one that didn't explode). It will be very interesting to see the giant code zero up in front, and around the new wing. I suppose they decided not to put the big bowsprit extension back on until they were ready to fly the beast.

SB

SB, my bad, I thought the big sprit WAS what exploded... ???

It was probably the bobstay that exploded. This one looks very different - much beefier.

b8.jpg

FLYING!!! Thanks for these pics.

Looks like 4-6 kts.... Fondue anyone? :P

Awesome job, Squid!

I guess the questions about the ability of flying two hulls in light air have been answered...

b3.jpg

Bad Ass Bad!!!

Love that shot

I can't get over this photo, it may very well be the single coolest sailing picture I have ever seen.

Very nicely done Squid.

b5.jpg

SB

SB, my bad, I thought the big sprit WAS what exploded... ???

Nope, it was the going (and somewhat plausible) theory for a while though. It turns out that the bowsprit extension was fine, as well as its associated rigging/hardware. As far as I know the cause of the demasting has not been positively identified publicly. I'll bet the BOR guys know exactly what happened though. Lots of sensors, recording equipment on that beast. A main forestay related failure(for whatever reasn) seems to be the most popular guess at this point.

SB

I am sporting wood just looking at these. What I would give for a ride....

Am I counting correctly - They are sailing that thing with only 7 crew including the helm? Yowza.

Sell that last 'postcard' one to the San Diego Convention & Visitors' Bureau as a promo item, if I were you....

c1.jpg

A great set of images so far.

This image in the quotes shows the current static bow down trim. With the soft rig, the mast was raked noticeably back, this rig so far is not. Another image shows the leeward ama piercing the water, prior is glided higher.

So, thus far the GC is different it appears, when a headsail or two also appear, there will be more weight forward, not a huge amount, but more.

Comments on is this as the new objective for buoyancy placement or will this rig tilt back too later?

The early shots from up North don't give much guidance, as the amas are totally different now.

c2.jpg

Check out how relaxed Spithill is on the helm. If I were driving that thing my hands would have a death grip on the wheel. He is using his finger tips.

I am not worthy.

b3.jpg

Kind of looks like he's praying. "please Lord let's get this out of the courts and onto the water"

Amazing pics Squid Thank you

I don't like to comment here because I think you're all insane but these shots are awesome

Congratulations. Commenting here is a first step. Pretty soon you will be locked up with the rest of us.

So.... with the 7500+ sq' Code Z or schreecher, do you do a inside gybe or a outside ??? :ph34r:

b3.jpg

This is a cool photo. Thanks.

Front page shot if I ever saw one.

Any chance you could produce a hi res version of that for a desktop wallpaper?

b3.jpg

Love the second shot, it's like they're a cruising couple.

"Put the kettle on love"

Squid,

I've pounded on ya over the "Watergate" incident....

Still pissed about your willingness to help SNG but maybe that post from you was all in anger....

Anywho, fantastic shooting. Your pics are excellent, as a fellow photog I understand how hard it is to shoot with any artistic touch. Never mind the fact that you are shooting a moving object while bobbing around on another moving object. Great eye and its clear your an artist not just a point and shoot moron.

Well done, simply fantastic work.

Bravo

Ernie has to be shitting his shorts.

I think he sent his personal assistant to fetch the tailor on Sunday for new undies & shorts. Then following the Fox5 livecam footage, he'd have needed a new wardrobe coz it would have been flooding out...

b8.jpg

FLYING!!! Thanks for these pics.

Great to see the centreboard removed

ok EVERYONE!!!

Please stop PM'ing me to ask if you can use my photos. Please use them all you like. Please don't put any credit line bullshit. I don't give a rat's ass if you publish a book with these images. So, permission is hereby granted for you to do whatever you want with these.

ok EVERYONE!!!

Please stop PM'ing me to ask if you can use my photos. Please use them all you like. Please don't put any credit line bullshit. I don't give a rat's ass if you publish a book with these images. So, permission is hereby granted for you to do whatever you want with these.

Fu*k thats generous. Every photographer i know wants ATLEAST a credit line.

AWESOME!

c11.jpg

Would _REALLY_ love to see close-ups of this area please? It was shrouded during the install photos; the flap appears to act as a "collective" for all the control lines, and might have some kind of aircraft version of Ackermann geometry or other mechanism for setting the camber of each section a little differently? (twist)

ok EVERYONE!!!

why would you do that... thats like the exact opposite of what any photographer, including me, would ever say.

Id say its a breath of fresh air that people are actually contacting you for usage rights. On various photo forums there are always people asking about how to go about getting paid or attributed to photos that got ripped off, and the number of people complaining of their photos wanting to be used for free. Strange...

Stunning artwork, just amazing.

Squid, two requests if you'll permit me:

Any observations would be welcome. How fast were they moving, what does the motor sound like, anything you noticed will be appreciated.

Two, if you're able, please let Clean join you tomorrow and / or Thursday.

Fantastic photos, better than what we've seen so far from GMR.

Any speculation as to what Jimmy has in his backpack? Liferaft? :blink:

Any observations would be welcome. How fast were they moving, what does the motor sound like, anything you noticed will be appreciated.

Parachute for BOR90 Parasailing...

ok EVERYONE!!!

Somebody check him for a fever!

Squid ~ these are absolutely stunning! Thank you!!!

ok EVERYONE!!!

Alright Squid, you had me at hello.

Your sins have been forgiven. All hail SQUID!!!!

Camelpak filled with Rum?

c13.jpg

Sweet! Best look yet at these "turning blocks" for the control lines.

One thing I realized earlier from studying these photos (though now I wonder...?) - unlike the others above, this bottom set of forward swept "spreaders" appears to not be attached to the flap and so doesn't move relative to the forward section(?); instead, these control lines are lead around the camber area and attached to one or more "tiller bars" connected to the flap. Or something like that... ;)

ok EVERYONE!!!

why would you do that... thats like the exact opposite of what any photographer, including, would ever say.

Id say its a breath of fresh air that people are actually contacting you for usage rights. On various photo forums there are always people asking about how to go about getting paid or attributed to photos that got ripped off, and the number of people complaining of their photos wanting to be used for free. Strange...

Agreed, make 'em put 'Squid Photography' on them. They actually ~want~ someone to credit them to - and that's practically a brand already!

Squid,

I am sitting here in front of the computer awestruck by this boat. You really do have amazing skills to get these photos! Unbelievable. Thanks for sharing with us.

JustinL42

c8.jpg

Did someone confirm that Jimmy's backpack is for comms & a HUD?