Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notallthere

Marian is dead?

Ed says there are reports in Italian press that she is dead...

I didnt like her, but it always sucks when an anarchist passes. my condolences to her family and friends

assuming this is true

translated from the italian sailing site http://www.farevela.net/

Rome- A mourning in the world of the nautical web. And 'dead suddenly this morning Marian Martin, publisher and curator with the husband of the situated known of international news on the sail and the nautical BYM News. Who it attended the international regattas it surely it had noted, an elderly lady always before the computer in room prints, for a situated one constantly updated.

does anyone know anything about this???

I haven't found any other mention of this anywhere yet. If true, my condolences to her family and friends.

i haven't either - i have e-mails to everyone at bym news, seahorse, bang the corner and a few others and have heard nothing yet...

That's certainly what that Farevela snippet is saying.

If so, may she rest in peace, and condolences to her friends and family.

Time to find a new sig line...

Rome- A mourning in the world of the nautical web. And 'dead suddenly this morning Marian Martin,

Uh - oh; I think this time I am just going to shut the fuck up.

this really bums me out. whatever you think of her ac opinions, i always dug her. fuck, i hope this isn't true...

If this is true, it is a sad day for this forum because whether you agreed with her opinions, she was one of us, and held a real interest in sailing. May God bless her soul.

I hope this isn't true.

I have to run and will be offline, maybe someone can contact BYM to ask?

http://www.bymnews.com/2007/Contacts.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...1%26tbs%3Dqdr:d

If true my sincere condolences to family and friends. She offered a well informed opinion on many subjects and while her opinions were contrary to mine with regard to most topics on the AC, I loved reading her well informed viewpoint and always took away some valuable information from her posts and from BYM.

I was just in PM contact with her yesterday, debating some AC issues. This would definitly be shocking.

As much as I disagreed with her on issues, she did provoke a lot of reseach into AC history, which taught me a lot.

Also asked if she and the BYM folks were OK, and she said they were doing fine.

If this is true, it is a sad day for this forum because whether you agreed with her opinions, she was one of us, and held a real interest in sailing. My God bless her soul.

+ 1000

VERY very SAD !!!!!!!!!!

:(

If true ... this sucks.

Marian, I'll miss you. It is a shame we never got the chance to meet face to face, I still owe you a beer ... or two.

If true, sad news. Condolences for family and friends. She was not only one of us but also a good sport. May her soul rest in peace.

We clearly didn't like each other very much, but that was based on opinions about a silly sailboat race.

Her alternative positions will be missed.

I hope this isn't true.

At a sad time like this, it's annoying to see you have little class, and continue the attention whoring practices of increasing your post count.

1. Who gives a toss if you're offline? As if anyone is dependent on your presence?

2. If you simply read the Ed's post two before yours, before jumping in as usual for the sake of seeing your own posts, you would have noticed he has already emailed BYM. <_<

Get over yourself.

I hope this isn't true.

At a sad time like this, it's annoying to see you have little class, and continue the attention whoring practices of increasing your post count.

1. Who gives a toss if you're offline? As if anyone is dependent on your presence?

2. If you simply read the Ed's post two before yours, before jumping in as usual for the sake of seeing your own posts, you would have noticed he has already emailed BYM. <_<

Get over yourself.

Wtf?

If true, sad news. Condolences for family and friends. She was not only one of us but also a good sport. May her soul rest in peace.

+1. fair winds, mm.

Good lesson for all of us.

While I'm happy we had the discussions and disagreements on the substance with her, I wish we hadn't taken the bait and made personal attacks.

You never know when you won't get a chance to make up.

The good news is she recently got to go on a trip to RAK, doing what she loved, visiting the team she loved, and in the company of friends. Not a bad last hurrah.

+ condolences.

I hope this isn't true and I will wait to comment further until confirmed.

WetHog

Good lesson for all of us.

While I'm happy we had the discussions and disagreements on the substance with her, I wish we hadn't taken the bait and made personal attacks.

You never know when you won't get a chance to make up.

The good news is she recently got to go on a trip to RAK, doing what she loved, visiting the team she loved, and in the company of friends. Not a bad last hurrah.

+ condolences.

Wise words

My last PM from her was 3:13pm eastern US, which would be 8:13pm her time in France, correct?

What a shock! I hope this is not true, but if it is, my deepest feelings for her friends and family, MM will be missed.

this really bums me out. whatever you think of her ac opinions. fuck, i hope this isn't true...

+ 1

+2

i traded e-mails with her yesterday am. i have heard nothing as of yet from anyone at bym....

My last PM from her was 3:13pm eastern US, which would be 8:13pm her time in France, correct?

You killed her!

Sincere condolences to her friends and family.

In these forums she got what she gave.... and that truly made her one of us. RIP.

Sincere condolences to her friends and family.

In these forums she got what she gave.... and that truly made her one of us. RIP.

Very well put.

(Still hoping this might be a misunderstanding.)

I very much hope this is NOT true.

I think we should wait for refutation (or confirmation) one way or another.

We should all be a bit more careful with each other.

If true, condolences to her family. It is a shame and she will certainly be missed here on the forum for her diverse opinions and her unique ability to instigate a spirited discussion.

Anyone have any idea how old she was ?

I ran across this which might be her work; The European Waterways, A Users Guide

I hope this isn't true.

Get over yourself.

Arsehole.

I hope this isn't true.

Get over yourself.

Arsehole.

let's not use this speculation as a vehicle to trade differences :mellow:

I very much hope this is NOT true.

I think we should wait for refutation (or confirmation) one way or another.

We should all be a bit more careful with each other. EDIT: except for DRTB, GMT, NORB

+1

I often felt Marian took too harsh a bashing around here. I rarely agreed with her but admired her strength.

I hope she has not passed but if so, may God bless her soul and care for her family.

I hope this isn't true.

Get over yourself.

Arsehole.

Just for your info, SR gets a lot of contacts and may have a couple that the ED does not have.

I hope this isn't true.

Get over yourself.

Arsehole.

How sad, someone might have passed away today and you behave so disrespectfully.

I hope this isn't true.

Get over yourself.

Arsehole.

How sad, someone might have passed away today and you behave so disrespectfully.

You created a new log-in just to say that?

Like many of you, throughout 2007, I carried-out quite lengthy email conversations wherein Marian told me wonderful gossipy stuff about the CNEV debacle, Ernesto and other things.

I always honoured her request for confidentiality.

But, after she "outed" me here on Sailing Anarchy, I was very pissed-off.

Just like Marian, I do not like and even feel a bit threatened by narcisssists and psychopaths on this board.

I also came to regard her as a europhile and could never accept her ideas about Europe being the "natural home" of the AC.

But, even after our very profound falling-out, I still had immense respect for her. And was astonished by her ability to withstand the abuse she got here.

Eventually, the abuse got to her and, after Clean recently compared her to a body part, she emailed me to say she had now had enough.

From then on she would only post a few words or a link.

Clean was invited to apologise for his last deeply-offensive fusillade against Marian.

I emailed Aldous at BYM but no answer as yet.

Was Marian at the LV in Nice?

If she is dead (and I hope the rumour is wrong) I hope Clean will find some way to make ammends.

In the meantime, I have these long and fascinating emails from her.

I wonder if they should go to Bob Fisher.

I would love to join everyone in a bashing

for Marian posting yet another link to BYM / (but this time) regarding the exaggeration of rumors of her demise

in other words "I hope it's Not true"

if so RIP Marian :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I pray this isnt' true. I had a number of good calls w/Aldous at BYM and through him learned of her work at BYM and outside of BYM.

I always thought that this group was way to miserable to her even though I often disagreed with her posted positions. Makes one think that this board could be a little kinder while still being an anarchistic forum.

I hope and pray that this is rumor and unfounded.

Marian's last post... to which I promply replied in my usual style.

post-7421-1258586281_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any more confirmation?
Ditto.

Seems to be taking a fair bit of time to get confirmation of this

what time is it in Europe?? May have to wait till morning.

Anyone have any more confirmation?
Ditto.

Seems to be taking a fair bit of time to get confirmation of this

what time is it in Europe?? May have to wait till morning.

midnight

taking a fair bit of time to get confirmation of this

if it turns out to be true, rushing with confirmation isn't going to improve her situation any. This is Europe - shit takes time.

Well shit...

Who's gonna post cryptic links to their website containing press releases posted elsewhere?

ie...How will I ever know to check the Alinghi site for recent posts?

Any volunteers to put together a "best of Marian" thread?

Any volunteers to put together a "best of Marian" thread?

Later!

Wait for confirmation.

Hopefully, this is a very bad joke.

Here is the original story on the Italian site. Where is Zero when we need him?

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 Autore: Michele Tognozzi

Roma- Un lutto nel mondo della nautica web. E' morta improvvisamente questa mattina Marian Martin, editore e curatrice con il marito del noto sito di news internazionali sulla vela e la nautica BYM News. Chi frequentava le regate internazionali l'aveva sicuramente notata, un'anziana signora sempre davanti al computer in sala stampa, per un sito costantemente aggiornato.

www.bymnews.com

Could some Italian-speaking person email Michele Tognozzi?

Unfortunately, the story looks authentic.

If this is true, and I fear, considering Marian's life style, it's not unlikely, then today marks the passing of a unrelenting, demanding, investigative, driven, and sometimes just as irritating journalist, reporter and news editor.

I hope that this isn't true.

No such thing as BYM News without Marian!

Thank you for all the opportunities you presented me with in the short time I had the pleasure to cover events for you, Marian. You will be thoroughly missed.

My heartfelt condolences go out to her family. She will be remembered.

Thomas

I wonder if Zero is covering the LV in Nice.

He works very late and would still be on his computer right now.

We need him to look into this.

Nobody at BYM is answering emails.

I wonder if Zero is covering the LV in Nice.

He works very late and would still be on his computer right now.

We need him to look into this.

Nobody at BYM is answering emails.

Anybody else that we know that are close to MM and BYM?

Zero?

This is too weird, as I was just discussing issues with her yesterday..................................

I've always wondered about Marian's background. Journalist first that found herself covering sailing events, or a sailor that became a full-time writer? How long has she been with BYM? I had the idea she might be a Brit now living in South France, and IIRC recently bought a boat capable of getting through the European Canal system. How old is she? Husband/kids out on the water with her? Just curious.............

I've always wondered about Marian's background. Journalist first that found herself covering sailing events, or a sailor that became a full-time writer? How long has she been with BYM? I had the idea she might be a Brit now living in South France, and IIRC recently bought a boat capable of getting through the European Canal system. How old is she? Husband/kids out on the water with her? Just curious.............

BYM News IS Marian Martin... literally.

Both VS & Zero are looking into it but everyone is asleep right now on their side of the pond. Hopefully the info we have heard so far is a mix up.

She is a Brit. Based in Gibraltar.

Wrote a book about canals. Regrets she did not do more univ. study. Very, very impressed (maybe obsessed) with Francis Joyon.

Is quite old. But very lively for someone her age.

If it is confirmed we will post a picture.

But not now.

I am still hoping this is a bad joke.

This is too weird, as I was just discussing issues with her yesterday..................................

Did she sound alright yesterday?

You people remind of the time when my favorite Auntie passed away. She was a merry widow who lived alone. Upon returning to her home after the funeral, within 5 minutes the doorbell rang. Figuring it was a neighbor coming by to offer their condolences, I opened the door. To my horror, it was a real estate agent asking how much we'd like to sell the house for and if she could get the listing.

Show some respect and try to refrain yourselves.

refrain yourselves

I know you know better KK - but it's restrain

Thank You. Apparently I just couldn't refrain myself.

Neither could I ...

Elegy for an Enemy

(For G. H.)

Say, does that stupid earth

Where they have laid her,

Bind still her sullen mirth,

Mirth which betrayed her?

Do the lush grasses hold,

Greenly and glad,

That brittle-perfect gold

She alone had?

Smugly the common crew,

Over their knitting,

Mourn her -- as butchers do

Sheep-throats they're slitting!

She was my enemy,

One of the best of them.

Would she come back to me,

God damn the rest of them!

Damn them, the flabby, fat,

Sleek little darlings!

We gave them tit for tat,

Snarlings for snarlings!

Squashy pomposities,

Shocked at our violence,

Let not one tactful hiss

Break her new silence!

Maids of antiquity,

Look well upon her;

Ice was her chastity,

Spotless her honor.

Neighbors, with breasts of snow,

Dames of much virtue,

How she could flame and glow!

Lord, how she hurt you!

She was a woman, and

Tender -- at times!

(Delicate was her hand)

One of her crimes!

Hair that strayed elfinly,

Lips red as haws,

You, with the ready lie,

Was that the cause?

Rest you, my enemy,

Slain without fault,

Life smacks but tastelessly

Lacking your salt!

Stuck in a bog whence naught

May catapult me,

Come from the grave, long-sought,

Come and insult me!

WE knew that sugared stuff

Poisoned the other;

Rough as the wind is rough,

Sister and brother!

Breathing the ether clear

Others forlorn have found --

Oh, for that peace austere

She and her scorn have found!

Stephen Vincent Benet

If this is true ... then today marks the passing of a unrelenting, demanding, investigative, driven, and sometimes just as irritating journalist, reporter and news editor.

I hope that this isn't true.

No such thing as BYM News without Marian!

My heartfelt condolences go out to her family. She will be remembered.

Thomas

Regardless of your POV, it was easy to see (and read) that she was one of a kind. I will miss her.

You people remind of the time when my favorite Auntie passed away. She was a merry widow who lived alone. Upon returning to her home after the funeral, within 5 minutes the doorbell rang. Figuring it was a neighbor coming by to offer their condolences, I opened the door. To my horror, it was a real estate agent asking how much we'd like to sell the house for and if she could get the listing.

How much do they want for her place anyway? Is it in France or Gilbralter?

I, too, differed with Ms Martin on her opinions and methods. I still hope this is untrue. As HHN92 posted, she caused me to do more research and digging on my own. Fair winds, Marian.

C.T. Woods

Did she sound alright yesterday?

Yes, she was giving me hell on my opinion of SKM for being one of EB's 'poodles', about buying one of his boats, to issuing a challenge counter to GGYC and CNEV, to signing-on to the AC33 protocol. Also about the DoG, its validity, and the AC trust that MSP/JTR is working-on.

We were having a lively debate. Sent my last PM and did not get a response, but thought she had gone to bed already and would hear something back today.

Too weird.............................

Is there anything to the theory she was killed by a wingless chicken?

This is all a bit of a shock.

I will email Cathy the publisher, the email newsletters were sent out this morning

:blink:

squid, maybe you can take the photos for the advert?

thanks for everyone's efforts. i am putting up a little article on the front page in a few minutes and perhaps we'll hear something soon. one way or another we'll hear something, but the complete lack of either a confirmation or a denial from anyone is just fucking bizarre...

thanks for everyone's efforts. i am putting up a little article on the front page in a few minutes and perhaps we'll hear something soon. one way or another we'll hear something, but the complete lack of either a confirmation or a denial from anyone is just fucking bizarre...

I have scoured the Gibraltar papers, radio and TV.

And emailed almost everyone at BYM.

Nothing!

Where did the Italians get it from?

RE: Front page.... Story is on the left index on Farevela. direct link to story here.

Google translate has a clearer version than that which is on the front page... may help fill in gaps.

"Bereavement in the world of sailing anywhere. E 'died suddenly this morning, Marian Martin, editor and curator with the husband of the famous site of international news on sailing and boating BYM News. Those who attended the international regattas had definitely noticed, an old lady always at the computer in the press room, for a constantly updated website"

Hopefully we can find out something one way or the other soon. Nothing is up on BYM yet either.

thanks - i updated the front page article with some of that. still nothing...

post-23687-1258608273_thumb.jpg

Marian Martin was very, very impressed with Francis Joyon's RTW exploits on IDEC.

I think she identified more with ocean racing than with AC people.

Being hard-nosed but still a British lady, I think she felt ocean racing was more imbued with an honourable and gentlemanly sense of adventure than Cup campaigning.

I bet she grew-up on Chichester, Blyth and Knox-Johnson.

Living in Gibraltar she had well-developed contacts in the super-yacht community.

Although financially strapped, and given to making wild claims about her website, Marian interacted with rich people who never knew whether "friends" were after their money.

If she is dead (and I hope she isn't) we can be certain she was firing on all cylinders to the end.

Only yesterday she was giving Anarchists a lecture about what's right, what's wrong and the way the world should be.

A feisty older woman.

By the looks of it, a life well lived.

We can learn from her.

Very sad news, if it's true.

Marian had the thickest teflon of any poster on SA (aside from the real morons here, of course). So much criticism, some of it quite harsh (and self-inflicted), was dished out and until recently, she never flinched nor hesitated to fight back, sticking to her opinions like the true Iron Lady she apparently was.

I found it very interesting when Marian claimed that BYM was shutting down, yet the site continued to stay current. She also claimed to be done with SA, but just couldn't keep away.

Part of the reason for shutting down BYM, in her words in a post a few months back, was the recent realization that she (and apparently her husband?) had been doing things for about ten years that they didn't much enjoy, and they were preparing to start a new chapter. How sad if the news is true, that she didn't manage to make a fresh start. Those words sounded strange, because Marian was obviously fanatical for researching, reporting and delivering sailing news... maybe it was the pursuit of advertising and sponsorship money that she didn't enjoy. I will always be curious what kind of appeals she made to EB to help keep BYM afloat, but that doesn't matter at all at the moment.

Anyway, it's a lesson to others who also fall into that trap of being stuck in work you don't enjoy. I include myself in that category at present, and will be thinking about Marian's words as I try to make my own fresh start.

Feisty to the end, or not. Hope she's still around.

Hey Clean, class act. As usual.

Like many of you, throughout 2007, I carried-out quite lengthy email conversations wherein Marian told me wonderful gossipy stuff about the CNEV debacle, Ernesto and other things.

I always honoured her request for confidentiality.

But, after she "outed" me here on Sailing Anarchy, I was very pissed-off.

Just like Marian, I do not like and even feel a bit threatened by narcisssists and psychopaths on this board.

I also came to regard her as a europhile and could never accept her ideas about Europe being the "natural home" of the AC.

But, even after our very profound falling-out, I still had immense respect for her. And was astonished by her ability to withstand the abuse she got here.

Eventually, the abuse got to her and, after Clean recently compared her to a body part, she emailed me to say she had now had enough.

Clean was invited to apologise for his last deeply-offensive fusillade against Marian.

I emailed Aldous at BYM but no answer as yet.

Was Marian at the LV in Nice?

If she is dead (and I hope the rumour is wrong) I hope Clean will find some way to make ammends.

In the meantime, I have these long and fascinating emails from her.

I wonder if they should go to Bob Fisher.

Probably this

what did clean do?

What would Clean not do?

I cannot for the life of me see why this cunt still comes here with a three word post when we all received the exact same press release from Alinghi five minutes before. Confusing.

And others.

Classy, for a cunt.

MM could dertainly get people irritated and heated up, me included.

But, if this is true it is very sad and my thoughts are with her family.

RIP MariAn.

Like many of you, throughout 2007,

Probably this

I'm surprised that one word got under Marian's skin. She took BLISTERING abuse of all sorts on SA, and in many cases she was just asking for it. Marian knew in advance what was coming when she posted, and from what I observed, she didn't give a flying fuck what others thought or wrote.

I would guess that Hastings caught her on a bad day, and the one word Clean dished out didn't amount to a hill of beans the next day. She was called much worse on many occassions, and in spite of the one-word dis, would (and hopefully will) be back here with both guns blazing.

Jesus pass me the puke bucket, on occasion MM was a cunt and all of you falling over yourselves now have as much as said so on occasion.

Suddenly there is a rumour of her demise and the whole forum has turned sycophantic?? MM herself would be sick!! And now for the baying crowd to turn on Clean as if "she's dead Clean and its your fault". Give me a fucking break!

If it turns out Marian has passed away thats sad and Im sorry for her family. BUT, I do not retract one thing I said to her in this forum because I meant them, otherwise I would not have said them!!

That said Marian RIP

Love her or hate her she enlivenes many a thread.

A number of times we had a spat or two over the AC, I just hope it is all a mistake and the tense in my first line is a mistake.

As a fellow journo she will be sadly missed for whether she was right or wrong she told it how she believed it - and that is a rare thing in the media today.

Funny (and sad) how it takes news like this before people start expressing their respect for some.

I can't believe how upset I feel.

If it is true Rest in Peace Marion

Shanghai Sailor

Jesus pass me the puke bucket, on occasion MM was a cunt and all of you falling over yourselves now have as much as said so on occasion.

Suddenly there is a rumour of her demise and the whole forum has turned sycophantic?? MM herself would be sick!! And now for the baying crowd to turn on Clean as if "she's dead Clean and its your fault". Give me a fucking break!

If it turns out Marian has passed away thats sad and Im sorry for her family. BUT, I do not retract one thing I said to her in this forum because I meant them, otherwise I would not have said them!!

That said Marian RIP

agreed..........I didn't agree with her views and would tell her. I though she was crass and rude, think that many here were as dumb as rocks. With that said, I don't wish death on ANYONE. (maybe a good case of gonorrhea but not death)