Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AECMX

M32 Gold Cup

Stupid question. If the owner of the boat was a Cat. 3 would that count as one of the 3 allowed? Can they have a pro skipper in this class?

Here's the owner/driver rule:

INTRODUCTION

The Melges 32 Class is a Corinthian Owner Driver Class. Normally a boat should be helmed by an Owner

helmsman who shall hold a valid Group 1 classification The provisions in class rule C.7 are also to provide

other helmsmen who are included solely to provide for relief helmsmen during a race, accommodate

charterers and to provide for an Owner helmsman or charterer unavoidably absent for part of an event.

C.7. CREW

Whilst racing under these rules the ISAF Sailor Classification Code, Regulation 22, shall apply. All

sailors requiring a classification should apply on the ISAF website www.sailing.org. All Group 1

crew shall hold valid classifications. Unclassified sailors will be deemed to be Group 3.

C.7.1. Limitations

(a) The crew shall consist of a minimum of 5 persons .

(B) Crew shall not be changed or substituted during an event without prior written approval of

the race committee or protest committee. Total crew weight shall not be changed by more

than 15kg.

© The crew shall contain no more than 3 Group 2 or 3 sailors.

And here:

C.7.6. Subject to the above helmsmen shall be categorised and eligible as follows:

OWNER HELMSMAN

An Owner Helmsman shall be :

(i) a sailor who

(a) owns 100% of a boat or

(B) a partial owner with a minimum 33% ownership of the boat and share of it's annual

operating costs and who can supply bona fide proof of such ownership in the way

of processed checks, receipts, wire transfer records, etc. ; and

(ii) holds a valid Group 1 Classification; and

(iii) is a member of the Class Association

Approval of an Owner helmsman is valid throughout ownership provided that there is no change in

his circumstances that may materially alter the original application.

RELIEF HELMSMAN

A Relief Helmsman shall:

(a) hold a valid Group 1 classification; and

(B) be a current member of the crew with at least 4 regattas with the same Owner or Charter

helmsman in the Melges 32 class or another class; and

© be a member of the Class Association

Approval is for two calendar years provided there is no change in his circumstances that may

materially alter the original application.

CHARTER HELMSMAN

A Charter helmsman shall be :

(a) a helmsman who is chartering a boat; and

(B) holds a valid Group 1 classification, or

© is an Owner helmsman in the IM32CA or another class, or is a potential owner.

Approval shall be valid for one event and is charter specific.

ALL HELMSMEN

In addition helmsmen shall :

(i) have held or been eligible to have held a Group 1 Classification for a minimum

of 5 (five) years

(ii) not have competed in the Olympic Games or participated as training partner, within the past

eight (8) years as a helmsman or crew.

(iii) not have competed on an America's Cup team or associated trial team in the America's

Cup trials or finals within the past eight (8) years as a helmsman or crew.

(iv) not have competed in a Volvo Ocean Race or associated trial team while training for

the Volvo Ocean Race within the past eight (8) years as a principal helmsman or crew.

In addition helmsmen shall :

(i) have held or been eligible to have held a Group 1 Classification for a minimum

of 5 (five) years

(ii) not have competed in the Olympic Games or participated as training partner, within the past

eight (8) years as a helmsman or crew.

(iii) not have competed on an America's Cup team or associated trial team in the America's

Cup trials or finals within the past eight (8) years as a helmsman or crew.

(iv) not have competed in a Volvo Ocean Race or associated trial team while training for

the Volvo Ocean Race within the past eight (8) years as a principal helmsman or crew.

WOW... I don't get this. I understand the Owner Driver part. Nice to see guys drive their own boats and not sticking their name on something helmed by a hired gun, but keeping the top talent from buying and driving a boat?!?!?! Is this a common practice in other fleets?

No pro drivers means no pro drivers. It gets stickier when you start finding situations with owners that have sponsorship money for the boat. Are they still a Cat 1? Some messiness ahead unless well-addressed by the owners. Owner's meeting tonight will likely cover this stuff, we'll have to see what we can find out.

Much to do about nothing. All interviewed cleared for racing in their respective ISAF categories. Until the next regatta.

Grapevine says Jonny G and Curtis may both be reclassified AFTER the event. Grapevine also said the M32 class requested it be that way. Not much transparency...which is why I hate this rule.

Thinking of having the top Cat 1s, including interviewees, on for Cocktail Hour...

I am really surprised Jonny made it this far as a 1.

Cat 1: The best amateurs money can buy...

if I had my druthers, they'd just get rid of the categories altogether...

I'd sail against pro's every day of the year if I could...

sooner or later, I'd learn something (I hope) -

Are you paying the pro's wages/accomodation/travel ?

I sail with my friends...

Some are pro's, some not...

They all get the same treatment from me...

But if someone else wants to get a gajillion dollar crew, more power to him...

That'll just raise the bar for me...

STAR USA 32

Jeff, Harry, Bora, Sarah, et al....they'll get it done.

thanks for the vote of confidence, too bad they have a rook pitman(me)

yeah go Bora, we're all rooting for you!

ps: if you see a kid from southern Switzerland and the moth worlds in march his name is nic, please teach him something good, he's so mad for the moth (just started this summer) that he went out this past Saturday only to come back ashore with the boat literally covered in ice (hull, sheets, deck, sail, the whole thing) he's got balls man, I was an ice block standing ashore and watching, unbelievable! and he was wondering why the thing didn't pick up proper speed out there LOL www.ycas.ch