Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

criswak

Life is Crap!

My friend Wendy who's crewed for me most of the summer came down to my marina to check out a boat she was thinking of buying today. We went to grab some dinner afterward. Part way through the meal she started sweating and had a massive headache come on. Massive brain hemorrhage. She's in surgery right now but it don't look good. She could use some good vibes from some fellow racers to help her along. Going back to the Hospital...

My friend Wendy who's crewed for me most of the summer came down to my marina to check out a boat she was thinking of buying today. We went to grab some dinner afterward. Part way through the meal she started sweating and had a massive headache come on. Massive brain hemorrhage. She's in surgery right now but it don't look good. She could use some good vibes from some fellow racers to help her along. Going back to the Hospital...

Sorry mate - crossing everything for the long haul, shes really lucky to have a friend with her right now - keep talking to her & holding her hand - tell her whatever pops into your head

virtual hug from this side of the world

xxx

I think we all take life and our health for granted........until it is threatened. As someone who has lost a crewmember to a degenerative disease I feel for you and her family.

She'll be in my prayers.

Just after I finished school a good friend got her dream job in a city in another state.After about 3months we lost cntact with her.One day about 6 months later we heard about a memorial service for her.Turned out she had had an accident and spent all that time in a coma.No one thought to tell us.

Find her friends let them know,that extra pray or bit of love may be the differance.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Holy shit K, VERY un-good news! We'll be pulling for her from our end and hoping for the best......

RB and The Nurse

Stay tough. Do your best to contact everyone you can. She needs as many thoughts and prayers as possible

+1000 She needs as many thoughts and prayers as possible. It does mean something .

Even I had to learn to write my name again.

Sail safe!

Positive thoughts and a virtual hug for her. The human touch can heal.

Son fell 30 feet onto concrete 12-14-06.

Survived but in a coma for 3 months.

Traumatic Brain Injury.

Set up a page on caringbridge.org to inform family and friends of progress.

1000's of hits, asked for prayers and got them, not only friends, family, but people all over the planet.

After 3 years of re-hab, this kid is back in college, and works his arse off to get better every day.

Talented sailor.

I truly believe in power of prayer.

God works miracles every day.

I pray that your friend gets one like we did.

DD

life is short, of that there is no doubt. sometimes the hand you get dealt just ain't fair. we hope the best for your friend mate.

Fwiw, I had the great pleasure of meeting 5knot this summer when he was in my 'hood------and he's a most fuktabulous gentleman. I also heard a bit about his friend in question and it was nothing but accolades for her. Truly 2 very fine people. So let's please all hope for the best in their time of need and pray that she beats this crap.

Rick

Just got a message from 5knot----she's still with us.........

My Dad had a brain aneurism a couple years ago - emergency brain surgery, the whole nine. Knocked him off his feet for a few months, but he is back at it stronger that ever - racing and sailng as much as I do - hold fast 5 Knot!

SB

Bump, thoughts and prayers...

sending her all the energy I can.

Many prayers.

'Make every day count'

Still in ICU, surgeon is watching and waiting before making his next move.........

Many thoughts & Prayers....

My sister started her 4th round of cancer treatments (going back to 1983) today. Ain't easy to stand or sit beside them through the dark days.

There aren't enough good people in the world. We need all we can hang onto.

Best thoughts going to her & the family/friends. Stay strong.

Hang tough Wendy and the rest of you guys keep us informed.

I had one of my best friends come home to his wife after work and layed down for a nap before dinner. Never woke up and he was like 30 years old at the time.

Fwiw, I had the great pleasure of meeting 5knot this summer when he was in my 'hood------and he's a most fuktabulous gentleman. I also heard a bit about his friend in question and it was nothing but accolades for her. Truly 2 very fine people. So let's please all hope for the best in their time of need and pray that she beats this crap.

Rick

Hijack...

where can i buy one of those? :P

...sorry...lippie...bag...gone

Vitals are improving, draining on the brain getting better. Occasional movements of all extremities, with an occasional hand squeeze. Getting ready to transfer her to the Rok Starz at a nearby vascular clinic (supposedly the f'ng Best in the West).

Hang in there Wendy, we're pulling for ya........

And by the way, another sucky tangent to all this----she was looking for a boat to purchase, ready to sabbaticalize her job for a while and then hang a left past The Gate and head south for bit.

Fuk fuk fuk.........

Vitals are improving, draining on the brain getting better. Occasional movements of all extremities, with an occasional hand squeeze. Getting ready to transfer her to the Rok Starz at a nearby vascular clinic (supposedly the f'ng Best in the West).

V good news indeed

she was looking for a boat to purchase, ready to sabbaticalize her job for a while and then hang a left past The Gate and head south for bit.

Fuk fuk fuk.........

Here's to her getting to do it. Best of thoughts...

next time I check this post, I hope the news is that all is good, set for a full recovery and that 5ksb is ready to sail off with his friend in her new 4ksb ! ;)

deano

Son fell 30 feet onto concrete 12-14-06.

Survived but in a coma for 3 months.

Traumatic Brain Injury.

Set up a page on caringbridge.org to inform family and friends of progress.

1000's of hits, asked for prayers and got them, not only friends, family, but people all over the planet.

After 3 years of re-hab, this kid is back in college, and works his arse off to get better every day.

Talented sailor.

I truly believe in power of prayer.

God works miracles every day.

I pray that your friend gets one like we did.

DD

Praying for her here as well. My son was born with 3/4 of a heart and many folks prayed for him and he is healthy today.

Prayers are heard and are effective.

Hand squeeze is a good sign. Hope she recovers completely!

my thoughts and prayers are with you 5knt... stay strong wendy and good luck on your left turn!

What's your thoughts on this one, Mr. Alfa? The optimist in me doesn't like the sound of it;

'Best case scenario is limited loss of mobility and cognition---and hopefully not too much memory loss.'

Vascular surgeon is excited about the latest CAT scan----surgery starts in a couple/three hours.

(jfc, but I hate this kind of shit........:( )

And by the way, another sucky tangent to all this----she was looking for a boat to purchase, ready to sabbaticalize her job for a while and then hang a left past The Gate and head south for bit.

Fuk fuk fuk.........

I hope all goes well & she gets to live the dream.

Message to us all - Carpe Diem.... Seize the day..... Do it while you can, because you NEVER know what's around the corner.

What's your thoughts on this one, Mr. Alfa? The optimist in me doesn't like the sound of it;

'Best case scenario is limited loss of mobility and cognition---and hopefully not too much memory loss.'

Without more information one can't say much. Things have changed a lot since I was involved with one of these things, but if they're intervening now it suggests that this was an aneurysm and that the situation is fairly stable at the moment. Unfortunately, bad stuff can happen a couple of days out. My heart goes out to all involved.

There is at least one person here who know much more than I do about this stuff.

Vascular surgeon is excited about the latest CAT scan----surgery starts in a couple/three hours.

(jfc, but I hate this kind of shit........ :( )

Any news?

I hope all goes well & she gets to live the dream.

Message to us all - Carpe Diem.... Seize the day..... Do it while you can, because you NEVER know what's around the corner.

Amen brother, AMEN. A friend of ours bought the cruising boat, before he finished the refit he had surgery for a tumor behind an eye, stroke, gone. Waited too long...

Hope she pulls through OK.

(jfc, but I hate this kind of shit........ :( )

Any news?

Not yet---I've a feeling she's in surgery still.

Toes and fingers crossed..........

hope the surgery went well...

Just found out it hasn't even started yet---she's just now getting transfered in fact. It seems that she was 'misplaced' and 'deleted' from 'the system' for a while, shift change screw up, 5knot goes outside then can't get back in, janitor hears his plea after everyone else says 'no', dons the cloak-of-invisibility, gets past security and back to ICU, but the Grand Wizard Doctor Chief Dude can't be bothered to see him...until someone much more intelligent figures out that he's been watching and waiting for Wendy for almost 24 hours now. Unbelieveable, you can't make this shit up.

Anyways Wendy is off to the Rock Star surgeon at the vascular clinic-----hope springs eternal........B)

5kt,

More mistakes and screw ups happen in hospital than anywhere.

Most doctors and nurses do an excellent job but no one is perfect.

Know she is in ICU but stay with her as much as possible.

Never leave a loved one alone in a hospital.

Ask questions and be her advocate.

Peace bro, and GOD BLESS WENDY!!!!

DD

Woke up a couple of hours ago with a new message from 5knot (just can't tell what time he sent it to me though). But he said Wendy's vitals are looking good, and as the drugs wore off she could wave her fingers when asked to do so. Seems the brain is functioning well at this point.

Go the Wendy.........

Great news, thanks for posting Rick.

Go Wendy!

my thoughts and prayers are with her..............I know how her friends and family feel

last december, my father had brain aneurysm, which led to a hemorrhagic stroke. She is lucky someone was there and got her immediate help.

hope the surgery went well...

Just found out it hasn't even started yet---she's just now getting transfered in fact. It seems that she was 'misplaced' and 'deleted' from 'the system' for a while, shift change screw up, 5knot goes outside then can't get back in, janitor hears his plea after everyone else says 'no', dons the cloak-of-invisibility, gets past security and back to ICU, but the Grand Wizard Doctor Chief Dude can't be bothered to see him...until someone much more intelligent figures out that he's been watching and waiting for Wendy for almost 24 hours now. Unbelieveable, you can't make this shit up.

Anyways Wendy is off to the Rock Star surgeon at the vascular clinic-----hope springs eternal........ B)

kaiser, im guessing?

go the wendy!

Don't fuking knock Kaiser, Peter---they've saved the Nursetta's life 3 times now and keep her breathing today............

Best wishes, prayers and mojo headed out from Baghdad that everything goes as well for Wendy as God and Science can possibly manage.

No intent to hijack, but, damn - a situation THIS serious and critical shouldn't be ABLE to be messed up by a shift-change clerical error.

Thanks for the updates Boothy - Let'em all know lots of folks are pullin' for 'em.

Wendy is at UCSF. They are one of the few that have the toys and experience to deal with the very difficult "fuziform" anurism she has. It's in a very difficult spot and is not the sort that you can just cauterize with a catheter. They are talking about using a catheter to put a sort of stent-like arrangment in to bridge the bad spot. Surgeon is Dr. KO. They have profiles on the UCSF website, hers sounds pretty good.

They told us last night just before taking her for a fresh CT that they would rerun her angiogram in the morning and spend some time strategizing and surgery would likely be around noon.

Here's Wendy's Facebook page, much support there too. Wendy Petersen

Thanks everyone for you thoughs and support. I'm not a religous person but I do believe there are spiritual dimensions to this existence that we don't all entirely understand. Yesterday when I was sitting with her and gently holding her big toes (somebody who does spiritual healing told me to do it. Can't hurt, I figured) and her BP was higher than they liked. I just relaxed and concentrated on her head and within a minute or two her BP had dropped over 20 points. When someone came in a broke my concentration, it went back up. Not saying I have powers, but collectively I think we all may. I thank you all for that help and hope things continue to improve.

Good news Sir. Thanx for the update.

(and I'm sorry if I woke you up this morning B) ).................

i hope i'm lucky enough to have a pal like you, 5knot in an emergency.

i too, believe in healing vibes after seeing them in action.

sending love to wendy.

Rick had to step out for a bit and asked me to post the latest from 5ktsb:

Wendy is being prepped. Surgery was scheduled to start at 1030 PST; and it's expected to last 3-5 hours. So, if you're inclined to be pushing good vibes in Wendy's direction, now would be a very good time to get started.

BTW, if I had something go sideways between my ears, UCSF is where I'd want to be. They're incredible.

Alright, surgery ended a bit early but went well---now she's back in ICU, squeezing hands on command and entertaining a metric shit ton of visitors, two at at a time. Even tried to pull the ventilator out of herself, but cooler heads prevailed B) . Sounds like she's over the hump but I believe that the next 12--24 hours may be pretty critical as far as possible problems arising. So let's keep her in our thoughts and prayers and whatever else we can come up with, spiritual-wise.

And btw, 5 Knot appreciates all of your support. Like really appreciates it----this forum has a ton of fuktastic people on....and this thread right here is just the latest proof. Gracias............

Terrific news! Now the hard part begins, the "team" needs to help her every day for the next few weeks. This won't end quickly, but it will be better every day. It's a distance race, not a sprint, so the team helping needs to hang tough and strong. You all are doing a great job, and making the rest of us feel like wimps 'cus all we can do is wish for the very best for you all.

BV

Alright, surgery ended a bit early but went well---now she's back in ICU, squeezing hands on command and entertaining a metric shit ton of visitors, two at at a time. Even tried to pull the ventilator out of herself, but cooler heads prevailed B) . Sounds like she's over the hump but I believe that the next 12--24 hours may be pretty critical as far as possible problems arising. So let's keep her in our thoughts and prayers and whatever else we can come up with, spiritual-wise.

And btw, 5 Knot appreciates all of your support. Like really appreciates it----this forum has a ton of fuktastic people on....and this thread right here is just the latest proof. Gracias............

Like the sound of her localising to get to the tube - go Wendy!

The women of Flippin' Fridays in FJ's aka Bitchen Chicks Yacht Club of Santa Barbara would like to send a little gift to Wendy. Can you PM me with an address.

Thanks and we are sending good thoughts and strength to her.

Janer

No havvy addy at my fingertips, Janer. But let me see what I can pull out of my hat. In the meantime 5 Knot posted her FaceBook thingy this morning. I haven't a clue on how that works but I'd imagine that whatever gets posted on her site would be visible to her------if there's wi-fi in her room (and 5 Knot or someone else has a laptop with them)......... :D

Sending vibes from New England. My cousin had an aneurism near her brain -- she had a stent put in using a catheter that was inserted through her femoral artery. The guy that did it was supposedly one of two surgeons in the US who knew how to perform the procedure. She came out of it fine. Amazing what they can do with modern medicine.

They have a terminal outside the galley!  Live updates from ITHA (In the Hospital Anarchy)

Just was in the room with her when they did a Neuro test.  She opened her eyes on command, followed the doctors fingers with her eyes, was able to nod yes and no, moved all her appendages when asked (in the right order) and was able to complain (via yes and no nodding) about the uncomfortable vent tube.  Once again tried to go for the tube.  She's a fighter!

We've been reading her Facebook Wall to her via a smuggled iPhone.  I need to surf to SA and start reading this thread to her also.

Thank you all so much for your wishes and energy, it's making a difference!

Go the Wendy!

send USPS stuff via, Patrick Evans, PO Box 2019, Sebastopol, CA. USA, 95473

He'll make sure she gets it.

Hang in there Wendy!!

We're praying for you in this tough time...it's just a reefed main situation, hang in there,

it will get better soon!

A Chicago pal,

ID

That's really good news to come home to, Wendy will be in our thoughts over Thanksgiving.

5kt, ya have to get her signed up on SA, I think we can forgo the traditional welcome this time. :P

Adding my good thoughts for Wendy. You go girl. Fight.

2 people, 15 minutes every 3 hours or so?

Been there and done that!

Lived for those 15 minutes.

Happy she made it through surgery and thrilled she is moving on command.

When my son came out of coma, written communication by us seemed to work best.

Seemed calming to him.

know you will when u can, but keep her away from tube.

You're a true friend 5KT and so are all the people who are praying for her.

Rock on Wendy.

Bless you.

Glad to hear she came through the surgery ok. Keep those good thoughts flowing, and let's hope she's back in sailing shape soon. Good on ya, 5kt, and all the best to Wendy.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Wendy.... from China.

No-one has said it yet so I thought I would:

news such as this puts everything in sharper focus and perspective.

with all the angst and strife about ratings, and crew, and shouting skippers, and rule infringements and, and and...... we should try to focus on enjoying our sailing and racing, as life is too precious for the negative stuff to get in the way.

One more thing, best wishes to Wendy and all those friends and family closest to her.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Wendy.... from China.

No-one has said it yet so I thought I would:

news such as this puts everything in sharper focus and perspective.

with all the angst and strife about ratings, and crew, and shouting skippers, and rule infringements and, and and...... we should try to focus on enjoying our sailing and racing, as life is too precious for the negative stuff to get in the way.

One more thing, best wishes to Wendy and all those friends and family closest to her.

Well said jolly! : )

Best wishes for a full and rapid recovery, Wendy. Hang in there. May the thoughts and good wishes here give you (& your good friend 5KT) strength and support to get you through the tougher moments.

+1000 She needs as many thoughts and prayers as possible. It does mean something .

Even I had to learn to write my name again.

Sail safe!

you can write? who knew

She's a fighter!

We've been reading her Facebook Wall to her via a smuggled iPhone.  I need to surf to SA and start reading this thread to her also.

Thank you all so much for your wishes and energy, it's making a difference!

Go the Wendy!

Great news, sending good thoughts and prayers her way.

NOW - we've all got something *ELSE* to be thankful for today.

This morning when I woke up - I thought about how bad it sucked being away from home for the holidays - and then I realized how stupid it was to think that way. I've GOT a home, I've GOT a family, I'm healthy enough to go to the gym and workout, I've been blessed enough in 43 yrs to have experienced a myriad of enjoyable activities and adventures with a wonderfully eclectic bunch of people. This morning, I woke up dry, in a bed, with nobody shooting at me.

And now, I get to read that Wendy is responding well to her treatment, and while I may never get to meet her, I feel happy reading this news.

There's some good stuff happenin' today indeed.

now go get that boat, but dont go back to that restaurant :)

glad to hear she's doing well.. Happy Thanksgiving

NOW - we've all got something *ELSE* to be thankful for today.

This morning when I woke up - I thought about how bad it sucked being away from home for the holidays - and then I realized how stupid it was to think that way. I've GOT a home, I've GOT a family, I'm healthy enough to go to the gym and workout, I've been blessed enough in 43 yrs to have experienced a myriad of enjoyable activities and adventures with a wonderfully eclectic bunch of people. This morning, I woke up dry, in a bed, with nobody shooting at me.

And now, I get to read that Wendy is responding well to her treatment, and while I may never get to meet her, I feel happy reading this news.

There's some good stuff happenin' today indeed.

+1 to that

good to see SA has a warm and cuddly side to it.....

Back at the house now for some sleep. She was doing well when they threw us out for some bed changes. She's the same color as regular humans today. She was this odd shade of greyish yellow yesterday. Not very fashionable... We'll be back in the morning.

ps. Found out they didn't really lose her at Highland. It was shift change and she was due to be transported so the offgoing shift checked her out even though she was still there. She never existed on paper or in the computer for the oncoming shift, that's why they couldn't find her. She was actually there and the offgoing crew was there with her until they put her on the bus to UCSF. Paperwork reduction I guess.

Once again thanks to you all for your continued support and energy.

We are neither firends nor acquaintenances, yet I share your agony. Lost my mother to medical incompetance last summer. I sure hope the same result is not your experience.

I do not pray; do not believe in it, but I do believe in people getting behind each other and wishing everyone good for its own sake.

I am always sorry to hear of someones misfortunes and join with every other soul here and elsewhere who wishes the best for your friend and for yourself.

Life is crap. Indeed, it is so because it is what it is. Only we can make it better by what we do for others.

You and your friend will be in my thoughts for days to come.

Latest from ITHA.

Wendy is still in ICU at UCSF.  Family was able to squash the insurance company's attempt to transfer her back to Highland today.  She's scheduled to be here for at least two weeks.  She isn't looking much different from yesterday, but it is only 24 hours since the surgery.

I think all the good vibes from everybody around the globe has made a difference.  The numbers from the doctors were pretty bleak.  50% of people that this happens to never make it to the ER, of those that do only 50% survive to have surgery.  If she had shown no cognition or ability to move things before surgery they gave her only a 30-40% chance of surviving the operation.  Since she was showing good signs of life they moved that up to 50-50.  The aneurism was of a type that only a handfull of places and even fewer Doctors have a prayer of being able to effectively repair.  One of those places and one of the doctors was here and available.  The surgery went swimmingly well and though expected to take 5 hours, was finished in less than 4.  Everything seen so far by the doctors is as expected or better.  I'm beginning to believe there is power in collective enthusiasm.

Maybe life isn't crap after all.

Thanks again everyone.  If anyone want's to stop by, she's in the 8th floor ICU bed 5.