Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScowVegas

Kayak Massacre

It's not a Warren Miller production but it is entertaining and Very Impressive. Great Job!

Red Green would so proud of these guys....

:)

Could you try that with a Mac26x?

Hat, check...coat, check, leaving... :lol::ph34r:

Hope I never need it -- but might be good to have on hand!

I just used the G/Flex 655k kit (thickened epoxy) to fill my chainplate slots in the deck (and an adjoining deck void). Cutting the new slots enabled me to look at thick cross-sections of the cured epoxy.

It's a well thought-out kit that was really nice to work with and the epoxy cured perfectly with no bubbles, voids etc. It was my first time ever doing a project like this, by the way.

I just used the G/Flex 655k kit (thickened epoxy) to fill my chainplate slots in the deck (and an adjoining deck void). Cutting the new slots enabled me to look at thick cross-sections of the cured epoxy.

It's a well thought-out kit that was really nice to work with and the epoxy cured perfectly with no bubbles, voids etc. It was my first time ever doing a project like this, by the way.

Was there a reason you used G/Flex and not just regular thickened epoxy on this repair?

Was there a reason you used G/Flex and not just regular thickened epoxy on this repair?

Hi Slowboat -

Vegas here chiming in on the Gougeon Bros. Account-

The reason G/Flex was used instead of the 105 System is that G/Flex is specifically formulated to bond to non-polar materials with low surface energy. In the case of the Kayak the material is High Density Poly Ethylene [HDPE] - The G/flex has a higher tensile elongation (it stretches more) than the 105 system, also its modulus is lower (less energy needed to affect the elongation). This combination helps the bond resist peel forces. It's kind of like getting gum on your shoe, If it is cold the gum just pops right off because it can't stretch very much before it fractures. The same piece of gum on a sidewalk in the middle of summer would be a mess to get off your shoe.

As always : here is some additional technical data on G/Flex and its properties : http://www.epoxyworks.com/25/pdf/G-flex_Epoxy.pdf