All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dumber than a box of rocks he is. Apologies to boxes and rocks.
  3. Navig8tor

Time to impeach?

Probably backing up to make sure as we speak.
  4. fastyacht

Great 18' Skiff video

Julian thanks for writing that! (Once again, my memory was not quite right--PRIME versus AAMI). *Very* interesting about the hullshape. I imagine ENTRAD's little bow plane would have "gone negative" in one of those waves that NOKIA sailed. I have to get my books that are stuck in boxes back on the shelves. I really need to read your father's book again. It's a gem. And the weather section! Half the book is about weather and it is so fascinating and detailed!
  5. LB 15

Australian Sailing

Who need clothing rules when you have this... 7.4 Any Flag Officer or member of the General Committee shall have power to refuse or revoke the admission of any visitor without assigning any reason therefor.
  6. Jud - s/v Sputnik

Getting Away From The Rat Race

Isn’t that colour Ralph Lauren “Italian macchiato”? Or maybe it’s “Buttered toast”? “Hazelnut”?
  7. FoolOnTheHill

B-17 Crash in CT

Flaps up would lead you to shallower descent. Might make you land long if you were expecting a typical sink, but flaps is one of the knobs you can turn to alter your slope. Flaps up leads to a more shallow slope. 300 ft at mid-field is well below the typical slope, so they would have been doing things to decrease slope. Flying styles vary with era, but the "book" value for mid-field downwind would have been 800-100 feet rather than 300 ft.
  8. Cal20sailor

NFL 2019

This is pretty cute. https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/10/17/billboards-referees-lions-packers-game/4007191002/
  9. Raz'r

Time to impeach?

That bus hit pretty fast
  10. jerseyguy

Cease fire announced

Their thug is thuggier than our thug.
  11. It's like the stupid pot calling the stupid kettle stupid.
  12. FoolOnTheHill

B-17 Crash in CT

300 agl in the middle of downwind, I'd have the flaps up too. Pulling them as UP as I could get them. And I'd be thinking mighty hars about landing downwind instead of trying to eke out another half a pattern from a third of typical pattern height. Number 3 sounds like it was somewhere between low pitch and feather. I wonder if "full increase" is on the checklist for this bird.
  13. Tornado-Cat

Boats and foils comparison

Cavitation on a foil now
  14. Left Shift

Greta

Old growth Douglas Fir is about as strong a piece of lumber there is. Even though I was a journeyman carpenter way back in the day, I found it impossible to drive a 16d nail into a 2x6 rafter when remodeling my 1920s house. Nail holes had to be pre-drilled. Growth rings were maybe 1/32" apart. When I first moved out here you could get absolutely clear 2 x 12 DF#1s 24' long. They could span full length for residential floor loads. The most amazing wood framed project I worked on was a warehouse conversion that had 45' long, 24" x 42" DF beams that were essentially clear. Maybe a few knots less than the size of a quarter on some of the beams. Wood like that is gone or now properly properly protected in Federal preserves...except from the baying wolves in the White House. The irony of their gluttony is, of course, that those magnificent trees are not needed anymore. Manufactured and sustainably grown wood products serve our needs quite well.
  15. Sail4beer

Greta

I have the original spars for a 26’ catboat project I have on the back burner. Solid spruce mast, boom and gaff. I would imagine this is more the Local NJ timber since it’s a Morton Johnson boat from NJ. Nice and stout for wood milled and shaped 90 years ago. At least you set about to design some spar sections. Most people have no idea how to even approach the concept.
  16. ctutmark

Transat Jacque Vabre 2019

Arkea-Paprec breaks a foil on the way to Le Havre. Pic from their Seb Simon's FB page
  17. Navig8tor

That letter .... Hey Trumpists your boy is bonkers

The fact that shub still defends him certainely raises questions centered around shubs mental well being.
  18. SloopJonB

B-17 Crash in CT

Doesn't landing without flaps increase the sink rate? If he thought they were down and had his power set for that then wouldn't them being up mean he'd tend to land short (which it seems he did)? Full disclosure, I don't have a pilots license, just an interest.
  19. phillysailor

Dropping Like Flies, Now There Are Just 2 Amigos

Will the last cabinet member to leave please turn out the lights.
  20. Every time I see an AC75 sailing I can't help but think those big saggy backstays must be draggy as fek as you approach 50 knots! I wonder what options the teams have considered and what the rules allow given I think they are one design.
  21. Tornado-Cat

Boats and foils comparison

Cavitation explained, pretty simple and clear explanations.
  22. Navig8tor

Dropping Like Flies, Now There Are Just 2 Amigos

Is the family already in prison?
  23. phillysailor

Cease fire announced

So Trump can’t keep the solutions in place that he inherited... Iran can go back to building nukes and Turkey can take over the Kurds’ lands and Assad gets more land and Putin is happy. He can’t even mitigate the disasters he creates. 120 hours for the Turks to consolidate and reequip and the Kurds to leave the ISIS prisoners and the bases we helped them build & defend. Hard to fly the flag high when our nation is dishonored and outmaneuvered by thugs.
  24. shaggy

Cease fire announced

MTGA??
  25. And this is what they are supporting... https://www.thedailybeast.com/our-commander-in-chief-donald-trump-is-a-petulant-little-child-and-the-bad-guys-of-the-world-have-his-number?ref=home
  1. Load more activity

Announcements