All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. nacradriver

Niki Lauda DTS

Small world...
  3. With Lions and Tridents and Nets ......OMG, I really think you are onto something mad. Oh hang on! I foresee a hitch. What type of Trident would be used? We would have to form an evaluation panel and get a recommendation from an Equipment Committee. Its going to be a problem. The lions will clearly prefer blunt Tridents and the gladiators are going to want sharp ones with carbon shafts. Then we are going to have to review athletic suitability and universality. This wont be ready by 2024.
  4. Shortforbob

The abortion Debate - Why is incest a special case?

you mean they regard a product of incest as an unholy abomination or something and thus can be killed? Please explain. Wow...
  5. He did that just to stop it? That seems a bit extreme.....
  6. Mike G

Drip Drip Drip

Or bribery? Extortion?
  7. casc27

RRS mods for single-handed?

You might do worse than starting here: Singlehanded Sailing Society And the general RRS can be found here They do have additional requirements for ocean races and specific rules for the two longer ocean races (Longpac and SHTP).
  8. dg_sailingfan

How many challengers will there be?

Tom Ehman just announced LIVE on his FB Show that 2 of the 3 Late Entries are indeed DONE & DEAD as I said previously. Also, Emirates Team New Zealand is desperately trying to keep the Stars & Stripes Team USA in the Cup. There will be a big Friday Show where he will announce who is IN and who is OUT.
  9. Mozzy Sails

Ladder rungs...upwind tactics

This isn't possible to say without understanding what's driving the shifts and where you are on course. And even then you're just making guesstimates. Ladder rungs are a good way to visualise gains and losses with shifting wind, but alone they won't get you up the course hugely faster. You may get a 10 degree knock, but were you sailing a ten degree lift before that? If so then you're back to an average heading. In which case you'll want to see it knock further before taking. So, whilst you may tack now and cross other boats, they could continue out left and create leverage on you by the next left shift. On some days in some venues 10 degree would be a huge shift. On others it might not be worth worrying about. So factor that in. How far are you off to one side of the course? The ten degree knock may not give you a better port heading than average, but if you're running out of options on the side you're on it might be your best heading back to the middle. This shifts might also not be equal in phasing. So you might get 1 minute at 300, then 30 seconds at 310. In which case you'll have to select the best time to sail the header otherwise you won't get to the windward mark. If the windward mark is offset to one side then you need to adjust the 'good heading' for that tack to match the offset for optimum distance sailed. The same is true ones you've sailed off to one side of the course so that beat remaining is offset. So, in conclusion, it's far more deep than just understanding how gains are made through shifts, but predicting those future shifts and hedging your risk against the fleet to be able to realise said gains.
  10. Mismoyled Jiblet.

Are All NMT Threads Really Gone?

are you a 44 year old woman from Canada?
  11. Left Shift

How do you stop a British Seagull?

My dad simply unclamped the thing and threw it into Long Island Sound. Not one tiny peep of complaint from the crew. Cheers all around actually. We slowly drifted back to Larchmont and finally got a tow in. Who laughed his ass off when we explained why.
  12. justsomeguy!

Random PicThread

That's a man, baby.
  13. MultiMacGreg

Newick Anarchy

Possibly an early prototype of a Newick Somersault 26? LOA and vaka fineness are similar. The aka / ama attachment are a bit unique! http://dicknewickboats.com/outrigger26/
  14. sledracr

RRS mods for single-handed?

I'm thinking of doing a couple of (local, inshore) races this year, and probably single-handed. I know individual races may have RRS-mods in the SIs to allow (for example) self-steering gear. The Sloop Tavern (Seattle) single-handed race, for example, explicitly says "self-steering devices are allowed for this race". Is that allowance done on a race-by-race basis, or are there standard rules that come into play for singlehanding? I can't find anything in either RRS or PHRF-NW that covers it. I mostly care about being able to engage the autopilot while trimming sails and such, but would be interested in any other rules-mods I should be aware of for single-handing... Thx
  15. LeoV

New imoca boats

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAA hahahhaaaa thank god for ignore function.
  16. Since when has thing in this thing called the Laser supply chain litigants list made sense @IPLore? And you are harshing my buzz cause reading between the lines you seem to be thinking there may be a way for LPE to win this on the legal front... or delay the class from moving forward with new suppliers and drag this out... and that would suck. Sigh... Awaiting smoke signals I guess...
  17. MangoCats

How do you stop a British Seagull?

I have found that if you wear a heavy metal ring on one finger, that will ensure the spark travels to that finger alone, for maximum concentration of effect.
  18. ice9a

Jeanne Socrates - nonstop solo RTW 2018

So, she has 'split the difference' before . . . . I wonder if having a 'fragile' mainsail will affect this choice . . . or not. Likely going to be a hard upwind above Hawaii no matter.
  19. Navig8tor

Drip Drip Drip

Is that not Obstruction? Asking for a friend Have a feeling the smartest cabinet ever assembled is about to do something really stupid as they fall over themselves protecting the Don.
  20. DFG

Winterizing

I just spent an hour trying to get all the old pink stuff out of the water tanks for the coming season. An old salt in the adjacent slip says they never use the pink stuff, rather they buy the cheapest vodka they can find and use it for winterizing the fresh water tanks. Does this work?
  21. Bull City

Galley equipment

I use a M&P for making a garlic paste with salt or anchovies, or herbs. And for grinding coffee beans when the power is out. I ordered some Peugeots and I'm looking forward to trying them.
  22. See Level

Looking for plumber whose seen it all...............

Auger from the lower sink drain down, that's where the clog is.
  23. MultiMacGreg

The Nacra 5.0 In Very Gusty/Shifty Winds

The abrupt "bang" you wondered about was you mast rotating under load. It was hung up on something then let go. How do you normally control rotation?
  24. Maxx Baqustae

Craigslist - Not mocking

Holey sheet! My friend, Mike Pope, had a 33 called Vatican II. I don't know if he's still with us but he was a good friend with Poncho too. Seems a little odd there would be two Vatican II's in our area. I'm sure you can resurrect it as a C&C like that are pretty tough.
  25. barfy

"Interesting AC Facts" YouTube channel

Thanks for that. Apparently it was all on account of the lifting gantries flapping in the breeze. I really should put them together into a mini doco, rather than discrete video responses in a debate. It was in the OR thread, then we got moved...
  26. Fakenews

Only the Best People

Well the story reports that he guessed at the phrase getting as far as real estate.... but not the owned. That would indicate his ineptness IMHO given his job.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements