All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. SloopJonB

Wyntje

Or "The Last Honest Man"
  3. SloopJonB

Keel Failure

Exactly - and the pic with the hull inverted shows the shadow of the rig in the same place - the boat rolled over and snapped the rig.
  4. Importunate Tom

Trail Cameras Again

Lots of opinions on what kind of cat that is. I still think it's a bobcat and a big one. My wife had an interesting thought. Paste the housecat pic onto the other one and then delete everything but the kitty from that layer. This is what it looks like at about half the original sizes of the images.
  5. woahboy

Decisions, Decisions. Opinions Requested.

I went with affordable, to me, ronstan shackles.
  6. AnotherSailor

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Not very familiar with the area, but it might be Brentwood Marina. Hopefully others can confirm or correct.
  7. voodoochile

What Tools and/or Materials Am I Missing?

Check specs on 4200 vs. 5200. 5200 is considered permanent and is rated for below waterline, 4200 is "removable" and not rated for below waterline. http://sailanything.com/post/48445963210/4200-or-5200-what-should-you-use
  8. him&her

3DI (Raw) and roller furler storage longevity

I think people are suggesting that there is enough tension when left on the furler... Which I still don't understand either ~him
  9. Cal20sailor

Il Mostro no longer on the Great Lakes??

Thought Imedi went to Seattle.
  10. woodpecker

Vakaros

Well..?
  11. Telesail

Have Torqueedo Outboards Come of Age Yet

Fortunately, we never tested the strength of the electrical cable because the lines for raising and lowering the leg were tied onto a fitting on the transom. However, we met a couple of cruisers who sank their units when they parted from the mother ship after the cable proved too weak..... However, it is just as impressive watching the unit bounce along the surface regardless of what is pulling it.
  12. Fiji Bitter

What Tools and/or Materials Am I Missing?

Guess so, I myself never progressed much beyond hash brown potatoes of the Mountain House variety. For a while it looked like @Mr.Clean was going to be the Mary Jane of SA, but the Ed must have gotten sick of his recipes, and seems to have pulled the thread.
  13. rstone

Keel Failure

Keel/centerboard with remnants of the board housing??? If so, long shot guess, Tartan 34
  14. came back to answer my own question. Most said "gotta repaint the rig, clear coat is shot." after some experimentation, the DA with 1200 did not work. chemicals did not work. Large Makita buffer with 3M finesse it, slow speed, just enough to generate some heat. Finished with a new UV protectant which saturates the finish and the end result was favorable. Check the photos. Southern Spars answer was "paint the mast". That is not a practical answer when an easy, other solution exists. Couple hours' time and see for yourself if it worked: IMG_1156.HEIC IMG_1157.HEIC IMG_1158.HEIC IMG_1159.HEIC
  15. Bus Driver

Ocasio

She is living, rent free, in your head.
  16. Blue Crab

Since we know the Russians are here

J28 gave me some crap like that recently. Then the post disappeared. Maybe they passed him out of 6th grade due to the fact that he was 14.
  17. jzk

Reparations for Slavery

" jzk sees himself as a great white hero, emancipating the darkies." You didn't?
  18. Even if he does get someone to "ghost-write" a book, his sales will likely fall short of others, notably Michelle Obama's "Becoming". Though, he will claim otherwise and the Faithful will repeat the lie, ad nauseam. It will be for sale in the "Fiction" section.
  19. phillysailor

Reparations for Slavery

You are a victim of poor reading comprehension. I wrote: I did not single you out. This thread, this issue, singles out America. I get that you think the ramifications of slavery died with the last slave owner, the last slave. That’s why America is still dealing with the issue... the legacy and impact of our country’s crimes against humanity live on in your self-serving hubris and arrogance, just as slaveholders’ “Christianity” was informed by a myopic reading and interpretation of the Bible. You cannot consider that which you refuse to acknowledge. But you are here, having this conversation, so congrats... it’s a start.
  20. F_L

Trail Cameras Again

Glad the cat is OK. You do have some some interesting critters. That big cat could be a cougar. From another website on cougar vs bocat. Their size distinction is clearly recognizable in their tails, as the cougar can have a 2.5- to 3.5-foot tail, while the bobcat has just a 6-inch tail. The bobcat is named for its short tail, which appears bobbed. In your pic part of the tail is behind the tree but I think I see part of the tail up high. Either way cool pic. I saw a cougar in the wild while hunting a few years ago. Quite thrilling until walking back after sunset the same direction the cat was going.
  21. Bill Gibbs

N2E changes

2.5 hours... there is a NOSA bus, and public buses, cheaper than a Taxi. Also a hotel van for small groups and uber.
  22. Happy

Drip Drip Drip

Great photo. Germany and France are checking him out like a dangerous gangster, Donnie is showing his expensive dentistry in a submissive shit-eating grin, Melania seems to be checking out his package. It's good to be the Tsar.....
  23. B.J. Porter

Hearing aids

This is a thing a LOT of people don't get. Hearing aids aren't like glasses. When you see, for the most part something is in focus, or it isn't. When you wear a proper corrective lens, you can see pretty much fully, though of course variations exist like the need for bifocals, etc. But you aren't half-blind, sometimes, when you are wearing the right lenses. And since your brain only processes and focuses on a tiny slice of what your eyes take in at any moment, the variety and vagary of the data is a lot lower. And you can point your eyes precisely at what you want to look at. The quality of your hearing is much, much more fuzzy. Your brain does a lot of background processing and filtering on noise. And differentiating and discriminating the sounds you want to hear vs. those you actually hear is quite difficult for an electronic gizmo to sort. I like to joke that I always "sit like a gunfighter" because in restaurants I always take the seat with my back to the wall, and will request a table against the wall instead of the middle of the wall if possible. Why? Because with my back to the wall I get a HUGE reduction in spurious noises being picked up by the back facing microphones on my aids. 99% of the time you don't care what is being said behind you, after all. You really want to head things coming at you from behind (trucks, bicycles on the sidewalk, etc.) but conversation is mostly in front of you. So in a crowded restaurant, you want to do everything you can to cut out noises from behind you. One of my aids - the backup pair - has a button I can push which lowers the sensitivity of the back microphones for loud situations. It works reasonably well. The primayr pair is a little smarter, but in either case...sit against a wall. If if you have a large table full of women on their second round of wine in front of you, you're pretty screwed anyway. There's always that one lady with the laugh that pierces through and drowns out the person in front of you. And the increased noise volume from loud, drunk people trying to talk over loud background music...brutal. Some restaurants you just can't go to if you aren't by yourself. I've also had to pretty much cut background music out of my life if people are around and you are expected to interact with them. If you are playing tunes in the background on a social occasion it completely fucks with my ability to conduct a conversation. Too much audio confusion, I won't hear half of what is said to me. Your brain also filters out a lot of bullshit sounds it doesn't need, and you don't notice this because of how your brain works. Your aids can not do this. When I first got them, I heard this weird zipping noise when I was walking. WTF? Turns out it was my jeans rubbing together when I walked. I hadn't heard that sound in years, so when the aids magnified it my brain treated it as new and important. Now it no longer is and it's blocked out as background, I just don't hear it the way everyone else doesn't any more. I also distinctly remember listening music for them for the first time with the aids (I Was Wrong by Social Distortion) and realizing there was a harmony line I wasn't even aware existed. My loss is primarily mid-range - women and children's voices are the hardest to hear - and there's a woman singing harmony in that song that I had never noticed. Anyway, it's not as simple as getting glasses or Lasik surgery. You get a vast improvement in your hearing, but it absolutely is not a correction. People still need to speak up and face you if they don't feel like being asked to repeat themselves all the time.
  24. phillysailor

Since we know the Russians are here

Talking to yourself again? Have no fear. You’re plenty shifty
  25. RV64

new trimaran under 20

hello Patzefran and every one 2 square is on a boy in the golfe du morbihan and i have been out 4 times for the last 2 weeks. today was best with 16 kn up to 23. my wife and I did a coville planté ; she got a bit scared but all was fine: 2 square put itself up again on its own . still no video or photo but soon I will get an droite phone with sailfreegps apps so I will be able to report on speed and other things. help to improve? and well done french do it better (by the way i am not so sure that 's true, being an ex OZ boy) hope to see you soon around Arradon for a ride ...
  1. Load more activity

Announcements