All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. So will they also go after all the senators that have had payouts made to keep people quiet. https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/settlements-congress-sexual-harassment/index.html https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/congress-sexual-assault-charges/ How is this a crime for a private citizen (he was that the time) and not for elected officials.
  3. Mambo Kings

Douchebag Class Award

It turns out that it doesnt matter if they are rich or poor, or what class they sail.......when you sit down with another sailor for a beer after sailing.....they are all pretty good guys. This from VMK who just got back from racing our $30,000 Vipers in Palma surrounded by $3,000,000 TP52s and discovered that Tony and the other TP52 owners love sailing just as much as you and I, but have a tad more money to spend on their toys.
  4. dg_sailingfan

How many challengers will there be?

Various Articles. Even Richard Gladwell mentioned during his ones. ETNZ is offering the 3 Late Entries a "Basic Design Package" worth 5M NZ$. The Kiwis seem desperate to get that money even if it means offending the other 3 "Superteams" and that's why the 3 Late Challengers are still alive and running.
  5. Shortforbob

I still call Australia home

Check out the "not sures" https://theconversation.com/australians-disagree-on-how-important-climate-change-is-poll-117171 Perhaps you should get out of your "beachside" (mangrove swamp) arcadia and visit the farms a bit more.
  6. Rasputin22

PCola 2019

Funny thing is that a civilian with an ordinary drivers license can pull up to the Main gate of Pensacola NAS (Home of the Blue Angels) and the smiling MP will give you a 'Guest Pass' to enter the base and drive several miles to the other end to the Naval Air Museum. On the big Airshow days they let 20,000 visitors on the base with no problems. I can see Bezos wanting to keep the mods he is doing to his Rocket Ship Landing Ship from prying eyes but the sailing security is a bit over the top. Maybe that will change when (and if!) the big boat ever arrives but it will probably just get even tighter.
  7. Gone Drinking

Rules question: NORs modifying Class Rules.

Guess it is just the wording - they are not Collegiate Dinghies, they are FJ, Z420, C420 Lark, Teck Dinghy, etc (A Collegiate Class Dinghy may be built by any professional or amateur builder) that are approved by the OA (The regatta organization shall attempt to ensure that boats to be sailed together in a regatta are equal in performance) It is sorta the equivalent of racing a one-design boat in PHRF, where you go by the PHRF class rules and not the One-design class rules.
  8. Mambo Kings

New Olympic Dinghy Selection

+1 from the Viper Class. Well done Jon. RS has done great things for the sport in the first 25 years and will do even more in the next 25 years. I am an elderly ex-Laser sailor and all this publicity has further piqued my interest to try the Aero.
  9. Shortforbob

Meanwhile, in the Republic of Gilead

So what's the next step in the forced carry to term and delivery program? Once a fetus is viable (by any measure you choose) Is the mother responsible for the health,safety and natural development of the potential human life? a serious question I'd like the anti abortionists to address if you please. If a fetus is recognized, then will a mother be held accountable should she put the life at risk by: Smoking, Drinking, having sex, horse riding, eating certain foods, not eating a balanced diet or any other behaviour deemed to be unhealthy for the growing life. Mothers and Fathers of full term babies have certain responsibilities, negligence or deliberate action that puts a child at risk is punishable by law, including death or gaol. Will pregnant women be held to these standards? if not, why not?
  10. weightless

Dyneema Eye Splice: Mobius brummel v Whipping Lock

Me too. I happen to have lots of solid stainless wire that is sold for fishing leaders. It works well. For really small stuff (lash-it), I use strands of electrical wire because that's the small wire I have to hand. I doesn't last for all that many splices but it works. I find a handle for the wire useful at times. I made some up from AL rod and sharpened the ends a bit so I can use them for opening up the line.
  11. IPLore

Two thumbs up! Well done.
  12. Jon from RS

IPLore - I am one of the CEO from RS Sailing (we have 2). I do not really write on forums by your post pretty much sums it up. We have lost this one and we always knew taking on the largest class in the World would not be easy. Change is tough. We completely understand how smaller MNA would struggle and that is why we spent so much time on a transitional plan. You are right, it did hurt (only for a short while) but on Sunday evening on my way home all I felt was pride - We had a go, did it with a smile and made some friends on the way - This is the RS way. It was a real team effort. So we can walk away with our head held high and go back to growing the brand - as you said 'sailor by sailor, club by club, boat by boat BUT I do not see it as the hard way - This is the fun. It is what we have done for 25 years and what we will continue to do...it is why we love what we do. From RS Tera to RS Aero to RS21 we will continue to get more sailors on the water. As a team we reflected today on the pass few weeks and I can honestly we feel like winners. The support we have had from around the world has been unbelievable....and for all those that have liked, comments etc...thank you Jon - RS
  13. dg_sailingfan

How many challengers will there be?

Here lies the "Huge Difference" my friend: All the Teams you mentioned RESPECTED THE PROTOCOL by paying all the bills & Entry Fees neccessary and complied with all the things the Protocol stipulated. Of the 3 Late Entries only Stars & Stripes Team USA have paid what they needed to pay, DutchSail & the Altus Challenge didn't per initial the Protocol which was published in September 2017. Stars & Stripes should be allowed to compete, the other two Teams should - Period AND the Protocol shouldn't be amended further just to let these two Teams in. It's disrespectful to the other Challengers. I guarantee you if ETNZ is going down this road AM/NYYC will almost certainly appeal it. Also, ETNZ would need Approval from their CoR Luna Rossa. I would rate LR going along with ETNZ on this one as very unlikely. All the 3 Late Entries had enough time. They've known the Protocol for almost 18 months now. Enough is enough.
  14. Mozzy Sails

Medal race hell

Medal races are shit. It's no less confusing scores wise and the maths involved and still often doesn't produce exciting finales. I'd prefer a 4-way final day round robin. But ideally, I'd like to get back toward more traditional regatta format. It's already hard enough to get reliable enough series with them split between qualy and finals and the standard being so close. The 49er for example, with three flights the points are so close and low after qualification that it does't make much difference to the overall result. Plus it means you don't have the best racing directly against the best for as many races. I think the qualification series could be made shorter with the use of boats rankings on the world cup circuit. Maybe give the top 25 ranked boats -1 to -25 points then run 1 day of qualifying and just count the qualifying position as the first score of the regatta. Then to give some meaning to silver fleet give 1st -10, 2nd -5 and third -2 toward the next event qualifying.
  15. JimC

As we now live in an age where personal abuse, insults and allegations of corruption are routine for any volunteer involved in decision making, we can be pretty confident that more and more ballots will be secret to provide some protection...
  16. IPLore

Tiller has said it all before:
  17. badornato1

J105 Symmetrical Kite

we have a long 68 mile dead downwind race in sacramento delta. thinking about adapting our old chute from our Moore 24 to the new J105. any thoughts? we would need a spinaker pole and some hardware but should make doublehanding a lot easier than jibing every 15 minutes
  18. What's that got to do with ending family separations?
  19. mad

Santa Cruz 70 - Fleet Roll Call

Good point!
  20. LB 15

I still call Australia home

Jeayzus Meli you really don’t get it do you? This election was a referendum on the cult of climate change and the majority of Australians have spoken. It shows that the majority of the county don’t believe every thing they read on Facebook or the ABC. When it comes to managing the economy Labor have a truly appalling track record. You need to take off your rose coloured glasses and the see world outside of your inner Melbourne latte jerk circle. The good guys won and won well. Suck it up buttercup.
  21. VhmSays

Meanwhile, in the Republic of Gilead

I've asked you before but can't seem to get an answer, what do you mean by "kill"? Turning off life support for a baby that is not going to survive without machines or is it poison/strangulation/bashing its head in or any other means?
  22. IPLore

edited and removed
  23. Shortforbob

The abortion Debate - Why is incest a special case?

Ha ..that only works if they actually believe in rape without the bruising.
  24. Dog

Drip Drip Drip

"Worse, the witnesses agreed that Barr could not release the “full and unredacted report” to Congress including any grand jury, or Rule 6(e), evidence. That is in direct contradiction to weeks of demands for the unredacted report along with a subpoena that demanded disclosure of the entire report. The committee maintained that “neither Rule 6(e) nor any applicable privilege barred disclosure of these materials to Congress.” Yet, the expert witnesses it called on have now testified that is not true. As I noted to the committee, the subpoena, which is the very basis for the earlier contempt vote, was demanding an unlawful act from Barr, and the committee then held him in contempt for not committing that unlawful act"...Jonathan Turley
  1. Load more activity

Announcements