All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Out West

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

What's the going rate for stainless steel by the pound? https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/d/cathlamet-schooner-50-ft/6869944153.html Schooner, 50 ft - $10000 50 foot stainless steel schooner, available to first buyer. Designed by Wong associates in San Diego. I have the original plans. The boat is in as is condition, very rough but because its stainless steel there are no signs of rust. We do not have rigging, masts or sails, it was originally designed to be a Chinese lug rig as a schooner. There is a Yanmar diesel that looks fairly new but we have not had it running. This is a project boat but with tremendous value due to the Stainless steel. It is hard to see as we have anchored it off to repair our docks. This is a great opportunity and must be paid for in cash and owner will receive a bill of sale and the original plans. We will not accept lower offers.
  3. mikewof

Reparations for Slavery

I read your post. It bored me. I gave your post wings that I now see it didn't earn.
  4. Diarmuid

Learning to windsurf this weekend (Sanibel, FL)

Definitely a steep learning curve. Tho understanding points of sail beforehand helps, so you can concentrate on balance. Nice to learn on a floater, so you don't have to water-start.
  5. mikewof

Reparations for Slavery

I admire your optimism, but I don't see slavery as being something in the past. It's here now. Peaceful and harmless people are imprisoned and enslaved for things like alcohol, weed, political dissent or even reading the wrong kind of poetry. Are those people in North Korea slaves or prisoners? Are those people in China slaves or prisoners? Are those people in the USA slaves or prisoners? We tend to say "they are prisoners" because we say "there is no economic incentive to keep them as slaves." But in reality, though we may not profit from the sweat of their brows, we do profit from the existence of their bodies. Enslaving people in prisons is undeniably good business. So the answer is more accurately, "some of them are prisoners and some of them are slaves." If you're in prison for raping a milk maiden and then raping the milk maiden's cow, then yeah, you're a fucking prisoner. Deal with it homey. But if you're in prison for selling someone a little crack rock or an ounce of weed, then yeah, you're a slave. It sucks, but that's what the United States of America did when we passed.the Thirteenth Amendment. We reserved the right to ensalve your sorry ass if you are too poor to afford pharmaceuticals and instead self medicate with weed or crack rock. And if you're too poor to afford to be able to break into pharmaceutical industry sales, and instead break into the street drug industry sales, then we're going to catch your ass running through the forest and we're going to release our robotic flying bloodhounds on you, and we're going to lock you in chains and we're going to sell your Black ass in court to the highest bidder. Your daddy may have given his life for this country in the line of duty, your grandmother may have given her life in public service working for the Federal Government, your great-grandaddy may have invented the peanut butter on General Eisenhower's sandwich, but now you're a slave. Sometimes I wonder what people thought when they first saw the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, and read this little gem ... ... except as a punishment for crime ... I can imagine some guy standing in front of the Woolworth when he read that. "So, slavery is illegal now, but it's still okay to sell someone in chains to the highest bidder if they get caught loitering or drinking from the wrong water fountain? Uh, is this actually an improvement?" And that's the single biggest reason that I oppose reparations. How can we have reparations when we still have slavery?
  6. you might ask on the iwindsurf.com forum
  7. The initial polls are out and it’s not looking good for Trump https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo
  8. Shootist Jeff

Reparations for Slavery

Whoa whoa whoa..... are you now saying that it’s racist to have your kid in a private school???
  9. Jiblet thinks believing a convenient fantasy is preferable to believing the truth.
  10. UDsailing

Learning to windsurf this weekend (Sanibel, FL)

Windsurfing is harder than football?
  11. Shootist Jeff

Reparations for Slavery

That was a really long winded way to say “ooops, sorry. I didn’t bother to read your post before going off on my usual long winded rants. I’ll try to do better next time”
  12. Latadjust

Saved the Rudder?

Daphne Zuniga
  13. phillysailor

Reparations for Slavery

Ha ha. I'm not making shit up. You are posting in a thread entitled "Reparations for slavery" and discussed how rescuers need not pay reparations to hostages they release. Dude. We were both the slaveholders and the emancipators. We are American. America owes a debt to those enslaved. It is a moral debt that had enormous economic, educational, historical and political ramifications. Reparations are symbolic, and will likely never "enrich" a black man, have no fear. But the discussion is the important step, because it identifies a logical and concrete approach of to how to deal with a debt. Actual moneys paid may be quite a bit less important to the nation. You'd prefer to pretend that no debt was owed, and opine you have no relationship with the crime against humanity. Fine. You are not yet capable of growth on the subject. Your opinions reveal where you feel America is on the spectrum of having responsibility for our current social situation, with wealth and wage gaps demonstrating the long term impacts of laws and policies on African Americans and other minorities, and incarceration rates, educational attainment, even Oscar awards revealing the need for improvement. I get that you don't feel any ownership of the issue or responsibility for improving America on this topic. And that's informative. As long as you continue to hear the discussion, however, it will have an impact on you. Thanks for joining.
  14. Fakenews

Mex. Army disarms US troops

“The Rock” got his ass kicked in the movie The Rundown by a bunch of Aztec’s It was an entertaining fight sequence.
  15. sailwriter

Craigslist Finds

Hey, I remember the Southeaster. Several used to come from the Miami area to our regatta in Gulfport, Florida. My dad and I easily won sailing the Suicide, also with a wishbone rig.
  16. sosoomii

Brexit, WTF

17. mikewof

Mex. Army disarms US troops

While I do get your point about how annoying some of the militia members can be, I can't agree with you here. We really need to avoid militarization of that border. The militias don't cause a lot of problems, they're mostly just a bunch of Westerners who don't have the stomach to hunt and gut animals, but they still like guns and hanging with the other militia guys at the biker's bar. (Do we even know if the uniformed, unofficial vehicle soldiers of this story were in any kind of official mission? For all we know they were just some Texans enjoying time off from their soldier jobs with a little militia fun?) But when you militarize a border, you send a terrible message to the inhabitants of both sides. You're saying "we don't trust our neighbors." The apparent reality is that the border between Mexico and the USA is becoming increasingly militerized. It just is. When I was a kid, that border was even less "secure" than the current Canadian border. And now a bunch of sailors are in this thread discussing Posse Comitatas. When folks in public forums start to discuss Posse Comitatas, you can be reasonably sure that all those involved do not see calm seas on the horizon. We cannot allow our Southern border to be militarized because we need Mexico as a deep and eager alli in our fight against terrorism. And terrorism IS the reason were originally sold this expanded wall. The reality of the Mexican Army and the Mexican Police is that they are pretty much the baddest motherfuckers on the planet. The Aztecs have unstoppably kicked global ass for 5000 years, and only lost one time, and that loss was to smallpox. Oh, and they lost to the USA back in 1843 and to Woodrow Wilson, but their population was still rebounding from the smallpox. The Mexican Army and the Mexican Police have to be the baddest good guys on the planet because they fight the baddest bad guys on the planet. The Mexican cartels are so tough that if an Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorist even thinks about having to get into the USA through Mexico, they would be immediately filled with fear, because the Cartels don't fuck around with that bullshit. Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico ... these places are THEIR turf and they uphold the Aztec tradition as fervently as their ancestors. Aztecs fight for family, honor and ground, but they don't fight for politics and they never even cared that much about gold. Gold was for the Aztec man who couldn't manage himself in battle. Even today, you find a beautiful Aztec woman in a bar, she won't give you the time of day if you aren't a little battle scarred. Danny Trejo could probably pull a lot of trim if he wanted. If a Cartel caught a terrorist, I can't imagine that they would have any patience for the guy. The best the terrorist could hope for is that the Cartel would kill him quick, because if they traded him to the Mexican Army or the Police, that poor fellow would soon think of Midnight Express as a day at the amusement park in comparison. The USA needs to stay tight with Mexico. They are our close friend, we make a shit-ton of money on the land that we took from them. A Mexico that isn't our friend, will become a lethal and economically-powerful enemy. And you can ask most any boxer or wrestler in the world if they want to end up in combat against an Aztec. The answer will usually be something along the lines of "not if I can avoid it."
  18. dg_sailingfan

Team UK

If these AC 75 are really as unstable as they're saying you can bet that we will see a lot of hairy moments.
  19. floating dutchman

Which is more?

Mell, way to personal...
  20. jzk

Reparations for Slavery

I wasn't there for any of that. Thank you for making shit up. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, no one alive in the US owned any slaves nor was a slave. However, if you can find someone that was enslaved by someone still living I would agree that person has a strong case for damages against their captor, among other things.
  21. phillysailor

Reparations for Slavery

So your argument is that because of the civil war, because hundreds of thousands of Americans had to die to decide whether to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation, the debt America owes blacks has been paid? So any degree of racism during Reconstruction, Jim Crow, lynchings, refusal to allow Blacks to vote for myriad reasons for centuries (now making a comeback), race-based policing and environmental racism are ok because of Sherman's March? This is why we won't quickly escape racism in America. jzk sees himself as a great white hero, emancipating the darkies.
  22. martin.langhoff

"Mala Conducta"-the best Gunboat never built

NiMH is stable. All Li chemistries are unstable and require particular charging rates at different charge levels, life points and temperatures. This means charging is controlled by software, and bugs often result in, um, expansive situations.
  23. Waynemarlow

Brexit, WTF

But without Jack the thread would wither and die, where would I get my “guilty pleasure “ from each day ? But then I guess the threads just recorgitated “ we lost but we”re not going to let you win this democratic vote “ crap.
  24. dew

Wyntje

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/78777 Good stuff! I am sure there are a many a picture and a story out there.
  25. When she's done beating intruders with a bat, Grannie can make a sandwich and bake a cake. Your AK or 1911 won't do that.
  26. KC375

Keel Failure

your right she is too far out of the water to be floating
  1. Load more activity

Announcements